Linux-Misc Digest #617, Volume #19               Sat, 27 Mar 99 06:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: How do I include Linux in the NT boot loader on a triple boot system (NT,
Solaris, Linux) ? ("Scott T. Bruining")
  Kernel tests available ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How much RAM is enough? (Subhas Roy)
  Re: Modem PCI intern & PPP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the   (Donn Miller)
  problem with Fortran in Xwindows (Min-Po Shiue)
  Re: SANE is Making Me In---- (zentara)
  Re: No RV G2 for Linux (Bud Rogers)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (Geoffrey Kenneth Holden)
  Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 ("Idea Man")
  SoftOSS (Big Mike)
  Unix to unix copying ("[...M...]")
  PPP Error ("Vern")
  Re: Help on PPP dial-up (Mike Henricks)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Richard Steiner)
  how do I uninstall gtk+ (Mark Leung)
  Java Runtime Environment v1.2-pre1 problems (Linux)...  :< ("Idea Man")
  ipfwadm and VPN (Jack Valko)
  Re: GetRight for Linux? (alessandro)
  Re: Yet another glibc 2.1 question ("ne...")
  Re: Help with X-Windows ("Dan M. Johnson (bagzman)(LinuxBox1)")
  Re: microsoft bus mouse (budman)
  Re: Windows opening with their tops off the top of the screen. (Joachim Feise)
  Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux ("John R. Owens")
  Re: 'Doze 98 vs. UNIX multitasking (Jesus Monroy, Jr.)
  Re: 603: How to make an .mp3 from an .wav? (Robert Hampf)
  Re: how do I set up Linux to accept ftp sessions on a LAN? (Mark Turner)

From: "Scott T. Bruining" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: How do I include Linux in the NT boot loader on a triple boot system (NT,
Solaris, Linux) ?
Date: 23 Mar 1999 07:07:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>boot to Solaris or NT, BUT I need to use a boot foppy for Linux. Is there a
:>way to include Linux in the NT boot loader menu?
:>Any ideas?

Install LILO on the linux partition (not the mbr) and use bootpart.
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

--
Scott T. Bruining
Computer User Services

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kernel tests available ?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:49:18 GMT

Are there any kernel tests available if I tweak the kernel to ensure
basic sanity, or do I just run and see what happens ?

Thanks, Carla

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Subhas Roy)
Subject: Re: How much RAM is enough?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 21:17:50 PST

In article <7dgeta$n7r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Ming98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
> my experience is the same as Jim's, no performance issues with 64mb, KDE,
> and everything I throw at it with the exception of Star Office which I have
> binned it was so pathetic at starting up. For word processing I am now using
> WordPerfect 8, with no performance problems. If anyone has Star Office
> starting up in a timely fashion ... what are you using ?

I used to have slow startup problems with StarOffice on Pentium 133
with 64MB RAM system with IDE drives. Now with kernel 2.2.x (I am
running 2.2.2 now), StarOffice (version 5.01) loads much faster. You
should upgrade to the latest 2.2 kernel to get much better swap (and
thus StarOffice) performance. I have tested by running at the same
time StarOffice, 2 separate netscape 4.5 processes (by 2 different
users), gimp, image magick and a large number of other memory hogging
programs on my system. Still the system performance was very much
usable.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Modem PCI intern & PPP
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 05:35:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  c&c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello !!
> I cannot initialize a ppp connection with my modem. PPPD is unable to
> find it, or find it busy ? Can anybody help me ?
>
> Do you have a Winmodem?  This is my current problem. A winmodem would be a PCI
Plug and Play (Pray) modem.

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 00:02:21 +0000

Todd Knarr wrote:

> Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Tweaking with my home PC recently I discovered that it can power
> > down disk drives in the same way as it can power down the monitor. I
> > think this is actually quite common. Now I'm much less likely to
> > switch it off completely.
>
> Personally I wouldn't power-down the disk drives on a desktop machine. On
> a laptop battery life takes priority, but on a desktop power is cheap and
> readily available. Probably about 99.999% of the bearing and head wear on
> a disk drive is in the few seconds while the drive is spinning up and down.
> Not to mention that each spin-up probably costs as much power as 5-6 hours

I agree... I wouldn't power down the disk drives, since syslodg might do some
occasional writes, and there are likely to be some cron jobs running that need
to access the disk at certain intervals.  This could cause frequent spin-up and
spin-down cycles;  it is very bad.  Plus, when the HD is running at full speed,
it has momentum like a flywheel, and the bearings probably won't wear down much
at full speed.  Every time the HD has to spin-up and spin-down, it takes so
much energy and mechanical wear to obtain that momentum.

Donn

------------------------------

From: Min-Po Shiue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with Fortran in Xwindows
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:42:17 -0600

Hi,

  I hope someone out there can help me out.  I'm running Redhat 5.2 with
X-windows installed.  For some reason, I can't execute any fortran
program in X.  the program compiles fine, but when I go to execute the
program, I receive:  "Segmentation fault".  But If I exit out of
X-windows, the fortran program runs fine.

HELP

Thanks

Po

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (zentara)
Subject: Re: SANE is Making Me In----
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:46:50 GMT

On 24 Mar 1999 05:11:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CITIZENAL) wrote:

>Sorry for duplicate postings.
>
>There's no mention of any sg* at all either during bootup or in
>/var/log/messages. It appears that for some reason Linux is not seeing the
>scanner or its proprietary HP card.

Sane only works with real scsi cards. Those proprietary
cards are useless in kinux. I got one with my UMAX scanner
and ended up having to get a real scsi card. Is the Hp
scanner a real scsi scanner? A cheap scsi card should
only be about $30.

As far as the "sg" devices go, you need to have "generic scsi"
support enabled in your kernel.

------------------------------

From: Bud Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No RV G2 for Linux
Date: 26 Mar 1999 11:52:47 -0600

William Lacy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wrote to them asking about a G2 player for Linux, I got a cut and
> pasted reply (don't rate a human reply I suppose) that didnt' actually
> answer my question.  Here is what they sent back:

I got a polite reply from a real human being.  He said they are actively
working on G2 for Linx and other platforms.  But their priority was,
obvously, where the bulk of the market it -- M$ platforms.

--
Bud Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/twocups.gif

  Linux twocups 2.0.36 #5 Mon Mar 15 21:01:56 CST 1999 i586 unknown
 11:48am  up 10 days, 14:29,  5 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.15, 0.10

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoffrey Kenneth Holden)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: 27 Mar 1999 06:41:36 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
: access.att.net>,
:   Hugh Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > Wow, thanks for the responses, guys - and in email too. I guess I
: > touched a nerve with this question.

: Right! The Win Modems are coming in force. I think it's high time someone
: hacked one. I am afraid, in a coup[le of years, plain old hardware modems will
: disapear altogether... :( What will linux do?

: Arkadiy
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Would it be possible to use the windoze driver for them under WINE?
Just asking... Just thinking.

--
Geoff/Upsilon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Idea Man" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 06:59:30 GMT

Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?  Keep the i386 tree, and
add an i686 tree that is optimized for P-II/Celeron/P-III processors.

This might be a pain in the butt for the mirrors (more hard drive space
used), but for some mirrors this would be just fine.  This would also make
Linux higher performing for all the people with flashy new Pentium-III
machines...

Just my ideas...

-Idea Man

------------------------------

From: Big Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SoftOSS
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:51:49 -0600

In looking through the source code, it looks like v_midi.o is created by
the loopback driver. I saw some messages on dejanews about softoss, and
people were wondering where v_midi.o came from. I'm still trying to
figure out how to use the software wavetable. It looks like the settings
for it are hardcoded in softoss.c, because make menuconfig asked me no
questions about it. I noticed in /var/log/warn that it "Cannot open
synth device#0 (-6)", which apparently is the software wavetable. I have
a 12 Meg patch set.

Gonna work on it till I get it figured out, unless somebody already did
so.

------------------------------

From: "[...M...]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unix to unix copying
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:07:58 -0600

What is the best way to copy a directory recursively from one system to
another system over TCP/IP?  Considering that I can't use FTP or EMAIL.  Is
there another way?

From: "Vern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Error
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:52:48 +1200

Howdee From downunder.....
I have RH 5.2 I want to setup a PPP Server ....so far I have the external
modem on com2 (ttyS1) answering a call from my win98 client.The client is
using DUN set to SLIP with a preferred ip addy 192.168.2.11 ,the client logs
on successfully and then seconds after the modem icon minimises to the
taskbar (completed logon) the server modem hangsup....If I  use PPP on the
client it won't even logon.....The server also has an ethernet card with IP
192.168.1.11
and a default route of 192.168.1.10 (pc connected to net)
I have been through many ppphowto's etc.....which seem to be repetitive I'm
not sure what to do next....My ppp version=2.3.5-1
any ideas/suggestions appreciated

thanks Mellow

------------------------------

From: Mike Henricks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help on PPP dial-up
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:25:57 -0600

Farid wrote:

> OK,
>
> here's the example of my chat script:
>
> -----snip------
> 'ABORT' 'BUSY'
> 'ABORT' 'ERROR'
> 'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
> 'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
> 'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
> 'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
> " 'ATZ'
> 'OK' 'ATDT4945012'
> 'CONNECT' "
> 'myusername' 'mypassword'
>
> ----snip---------

if your isp uses PAP or CHAP, your script should stop at CONNECT. the login
and password are handled by them, not your script
Hope that helps
Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:43:31 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>> rpm -Uvh <
>
>In Windows 95/98/NT/2000 the command is "Setup".

I just create aliases to use commands with obscure options.

If you want to create a little shell script called setup that asks you
want to do with RPM files, it's pretty easy to do.  I've not bothered
to do it myself because aliases do the job for me.

Tools *do* exist in Linux to make things much easier, but you have to
be somewhat familiar with the basic concepts behind an advanced command
line to know what they are.  The approach isn't the same as Windows, but
it's not INTENDED to be the same as Windows.

Some of us used several different platforms which only had a CLI before
the Windows platform even existed, so I suspect our experience base was
quite different initially from a user who was weaned on Windows.

Quite frankly, I really don't comprehend why Linux (or the command line
in general) seems to be so "hard to use" for some people.  :-(  I find
it refreshing myself compared to the usually-more-restrictive GUI.

>The fact is that a technically brilliant piece of software can be a
>pain to use, while a technically ordinary one can be a godsend to users.

True, which is why I don't recommend Linux as a replacement for Windows
for the masses, and why I wish the mainstream press would tone down the
"Linux revolution" rhetoric and start EDUCATING readers rather than
tossing out tasty sound bytes.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: Mark Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how do I uninstall gtk+
Date: 27 Mar 1999 07:31:54 GMT

Hi,
How do I uninstall GTK+? I am trying to install a new version, but no
programs will recognise the new GTK+ because of the old version.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Idea Man" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Java Runtime Environment v1.2-pre1 problems (Linux)...  :<
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,comp.lang.java.machine,comp.lang.java.misc,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.lang.java.developer
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:12:42 GMT

I untarred the new JRE-1.2-pre1 to /usr/local/java and I added the
/usr/local/java/bin to my PATH variable.  I am using Redhat Linux 5.9
(Starbuck) with kernel 2.2.3 and Glibc 2.1.   What does the following error
mean?
=================================
# java

*** panic: GC: getStickySystemClass failed: java/lang/ref/Reference
        CLASSPATH may be incorrect
SIGABRT   6*   abort (generated by abort(3) routine)
        stackpointer=0xbffff5a0

Full thread dump Classic VM (Linux_JDK_1.2_pre-release-v1, native threads):
    "main" (TID:0x410df1e0, sys_thread_t:0x81435d8, state:R, native
ID:0x400) prio=5: pending=java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Monitor Cache Dump:
Registered Monitor Dump:
    utf8 hash table: <unowned>
    JNI pinning lock: <unowned>
    JNI global reference lock: <unowned>
    BinClass lock: <unowned>
    Class linking lock: <unowned>
    System class loader lock: <unowned>
    Code rewrite lock: <unowned>
    Heap lock: <unowned>
    Monitor cache lock: owner "main" (0x81435d8) 1 entry
    Thread queue lock: owner "main" (0x81435d8) 1 entry
    Dynamic loading lock: <unowned>
    Monitor registry: owner "main" (0x81435d8) 1 entry

From: Jack Valko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: ipfwadm and VPN
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:50:59 GMT

I have successfully setup the latest redhat distribution as a firewall
protecting a small LAN I have at home.  I have a smattering of UNIX and
Windows OSes behind the firewall.  Everything is great, except ...

I'm trying to establish a VPN connection from one of my windows boxes to
my RAS server at my office across the Internet.  The connection begins
just fine but the firewall drops the gre escapulation packets.  Can I
configure ipfwadm to forward these packets?  How?

=============================
Jack Valko
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=============================

------------------------------

From: alessandro <"alpalmas$"@tin.it>
Subject: Re: GetRight for Linux?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:38:39 +0100

Mladen Gavrilovic wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a GetRight-like download manager for
> Linux?  It would be good if it could plug into Netscape, but if it can't
> it ain't no t'ing.  Would normal FTP proggies (such as NFTP) allow me to
> download from http sources?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mladen
>
> P.S. I checked Linuxapps if you're wondering.

wget should be OK for you.
hello.
--
   ------Slackware 3.5 kernel 2.0i.34-------
please, excuse my antispam: alpalmas, NOT alpalmas$

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet another glibc 2.1 question
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:20:22 GMT

On Mar 27, 1999 at 06:08, Michael Torrie eloquently wrote:

>    Most of the binary RPMs I've downloaded lately from rpmfind.net seem
>to require GLIBC 2.1.  The only version I could find was what looked
>like a development version, date 990311.  Once I installed it, the
>dependancy thing was taken care of, but the program (x11amp alpha 3-1)
>simply seg-faulted.  A lot of my other programs wouldn't run either.
>xxgdb for instance seg-faults.  where do I find the proper version of
>Glibc 2.1?  Will the old apps still run that need glib 2.0 (i'm thinking
>glibc-2.0.7-29)?  I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in
>the right direction.   Recompiling all the new programs doesn't sound
>that great because some of them are gnome apps.  Also, sometimes a
>program will complain it can't find a specific library when loading.  I
>check the ld.co.conf paths, and the library is there.  Anyone know
>what's up here?  Eterm, esound both do this.
I think it is safe to say that at the moment RedHat's RawHide
is the only distribution that is using glibc 2.1. Your best
bet when downloading from rpmfind.net is to stay away from
these rpms. I generally grab the version immediately preceeding
the RawHide one.

--
If you float on instinct alone, how can you calculate the buoyancy for
the computed load?

------------------------------

From: "Dan M. Johnson (bagzman)(LinuxBox1)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.dev.svgalib,linux.redhat.
Subject: Re: Help with X-Windows
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:37:38 -0800

Ya know, in RedHat 5.1 and up, I find it useful to go into the 'setup' utility
and scroll down to the last listing where you can configure X.  It seems to
autodetect many chipsets really well, then you just find a compatible monitor
and try probing, if that fails then just select your own options.  Good luck.

-Dan-  http://spyol.dynip.com

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:27:37 +1000
From: budman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: microsoft bus mouse

Bart,
The problem you are having with red hat linux 5.2 and configuring a bus mouse is
identical to mine, except that in my case I have a PS/2 mouse. I have a HP Vectra
VL (Pentium) computer and I know there is no problem with the mouse or the
m/board, yet I cannot get any mouse response. Linux runs okay otherwise. I have
checked the settings in the configuration file, checked the installed drivers, and
recompiled the kernal, but to no avail, even though everything appears to be
correct.

I was considering installing a serial mouse, and it seems from the other posts
that looks like my best option. If anyone has any experience with overcoming
installation of PS/2 mouse support, please post.
Scott.

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows opening with their tops off the top of the screen.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:21:28 -0800

Most program support geometry settings in either .Xresource or on the command
line. It may be that there are lines in .Xresource that say something like
*geometry=+10-10
where these are the x,y coordinates of the upper left corner of the window.
Remove this line and add something like
xdvi*geometry=+10+10

Alternatively, you can probably enter these values on the command line as well:
xdvi -geometry +10+10

-Joe

Bill Unruh wrote:

>  I am having trouble with windows in various programs ( Simplicity, xdvi,
> ghostview,..) opening with  their title bar off  the top of
> the screen. This of course menas I have to use the menus to get the move
> command to move them back onto the screen, which is a pain. How do I
> prevent this from happening?
>
> RedHat 5.2, XFree86 3.3.2, ATI RAge Pro card, 1024x768 (both real and
> virtual) running the RH AnotherLevel screen manager.
>
> Thanks.
Joachim Feise         Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I feel like a genocidal maniac when emacs asks me if I want to
kill 10789 characters.

------------------------------

From: "John R. Owens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 07:22:38 +0000

On a similar note, I've noticed that, when I try to use that little keyboard
lockout on the front of the case, just about as soon as I touch it, the system
goes into immediate reboot (and then everything has to be fsck'ed etc. :p)
Anyone know if this is some sort of extreme Linux-motherboard security
interaction?  Maybe even a 'feature'?

James Seymour wrote:

> I'm just installing RH5.1 Linux (w/kernel 2.0.36) on a Dell Latitude
> XPiCD (166MHz).  If Linux is running and I close, then re-open the
> lid, things crash.  For example: if snmpd is running, it will crash.
> If snmpd isn't running and I try to do a "shutdown -r now", init
> crashes.  In both cases, the first diagnostic lines says "divide error:
> 0000".
>
> Anybody know what's going on here?  And mebbe how I can fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
> --
> Jim Seymour                         | Medar, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  | 38700 Grand River Ave.
> Systems & Network Administrator     | Farmington Hills, MI. 48335-1563
>                                     | FAX: (248)615-2971

--  John R. Owens aka KarMann http://www.execpc.com/~jowens/
Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves.  Most
gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.  --- Lazarus Long

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesus Monroy, Jr.)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: 'Doze 98 vs. UNIX multitasking
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 07:07:45 GMT

On 26 Mar 1999 16:17:48 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Dillon) wrote:

>:In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>:Jesus Monroy, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:20:28 +0000, Donn Miller
>:>>
>:>     Note concerning your statement/question on
>:>     time/slicing; while this is a parameter on the performance of
>:>    a machine other factors come into account when doing
>:>    "multi-tasking". Lately, a Debian-head want to convince me
>:>    that thread was better because it was a "lite" method to fork.
>:>............<SNipped for mindely peace>........
>:>    Queueing. A good book about it is 200+ pages.  Read one
>:>    and please don't mind fart again.
>
>    The FreeBSD scheduler is pretty darn good.  People have tried to make
>    it better and failed.
>
>    Core routines to support native threads - specifically rfork(), have
>    been implemented in FreeBSD but they are not quite ready for prime time.
>    For example, rfork(RFPROC|RFMEM) cannot be called safely from C ( you
>    need some assembly to switch the stack ).
>
>    While it is true that threads, in general, are very light weight compared
>    to full blown 'processes', even those full blown processes are reasonably
>    light weight.  It really isn't that big a deal unless you need to fork
>    hundreds of them.  FreeBSD has optimized fork() up the wazoo.

    Did you fart on my fart, or am I farting, again?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hampf)
Subject: Re: 603: How to make an .mp3 from an .wav?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 10:56:41 GMT

Take a look at Blade:  http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625

rh

------------------------------

From: Mark Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I set up Linux to accept ftp sessions on a LAN?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 21:41:25 GMT

yft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Everytime I try and connect from NT, I get a "connection closed by host"
: error.

Try ftp'ing from the Linux machine to localhost first ("ftp localhost"). This will
rule out IP and connectivity issues.

If that fails, check the /var/log/messages file to see what's happening.

--
Mark Turner
Linux Support Specialist