Linux-Misc Digest #621, Volume #18               Fri, 15 Jan 99 03:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux (Alexander Viro)
  Re: 3C905B Ethernet board (Dan Nguyen)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Remove LILO (Vialli Wong)
  Re: Remove LILO (Vialli Wong)
  Re: linux 2.2.0pre problems with midi ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: * and dot files (Cal Dunigan)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (John Morris)
  Re: Web-board (Leslie Mikesell)
  cannot open displayx/xterm: Too many symbolic links encountered (Francesc Guasch)
  Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip (Rob Mahurin)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Alexander Viro)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Loose Nut)
  Re: 128 bit Netscape 4.08 built against glibc (Ding-Jung Han)
  Re: AfterStep 1.6.6 RPM Help (Ed Young)
  Re: AfterStep 1.6.6 RPM Help ("Brian St. Pierre")
  Re: NOSPAM in addresses.. (Larry Caldwell)
  Re: watch the traffic ?? (Raymond Doetjes)
  Re: CDE telnet to linux login problem ("T.E.Dickey")
  Why isn't this simple script working? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: 15 Jan 1999 01:13:33 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Powe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Alexander>         Damn it. Find somebody else using Linux and set the
>    Alexander> SLIP connection up.
>
>Hell, talk sense. Now I'm supposed to go out and hassle some guy who
>doesn't even know me into setting up a network over the phone with me
>so I can tie up his system and time learning how to configure my
>system to receive mail.
>
>Hey, it could happen.  Monkeys might fly out my nose, too.

        Ever heard about LUGs? Another variant (snipped by you):
ancient 386 box + PLIP (~$60). BTW, it has a nice side-effect -
if something goes wrong you can check the logs on *both* sides.
Been there, done that, spotted a bug in Debian setup of fetchmail
(already fixed by then).

>    >> fetchmail, pppd and pine until they've taken a college course
>    >> in unix system administration.

>    Alexander>         Gee... I never seen college courses in UNIX SA, but I
>    Alexander> bloody *know* that they are *not* only ways to learn.

>Doh!  Yeah, the way to learn is by firing up your system and trying to
>put into practice the things you're reading about in your books,
>manpages and HOW-TOs.
        Yes, indeed.

>    Alexander>         Sigh... I don't know Earthlink people. I don't know
>    Alexander> (or care) WTF they are running. I have no f*cking
>    Alexander> objections against learning by doing, but there are
>    Alexander> *simple* things to consider before doing. Like, what
>    Alexander> things are dangerous. Or what things are safe. Or just
>    Alexander> a general idea of WTF happens. You wouldn't learn to
>    Alexander> deal with mountaint skis with no idea of what is what,
>    Alexander> right? Or drive the car, for that matter.  Why when it
>    Alexander> comes to computers people ignore the common sense?
>
>What's common sense about going around with your hand out, expecting
>everybody else to help you?  There's too much of that already, as far
>as I'm concerned.  "Common sense" is working things out on your own
>and then asking for help when you can't get them right.

        <AOL> Mee to! </AOL> YES. Just don't forget to look around for
information *befory* playing. OK, let's see. Earthlink homepage.
<starting lynx>. OK, instructions for Netscape under Linux. Now, no matter
how shitty Netrape is, those instructions contain their mailserver's name.
If with that information RH's config (sorry, I don't use RH myself and I'm
a bit too lazy to look into their sources) managed to do anything resembling
port scan... D'oh. Then it is *badly* broken. If it was an attempt to
configure Netrape... Well, look at their instructions. One can mess up
anything, but in this case it would be hard.

>You assumed, as far as I'm concerned without provocation, that
>whatever that guy did had to be wrong.  You assumed that the Earthlink
        Nope. Just that his attitude may give him troubles with any ISP.
And I don't mean the subject (looks like you assume some sympathy to
Earhlink on my side; nope).
>people were entirely justified in their response.  Where's the common
        Yes. At least I would do the same. Sorry, but I *really* believe
that one must know WTF he is doing if it may affect anybody else. Chalk
it up to cultural differences if you want.
<rant>
        I have nothing against Redhat, but the number of *badly* misconfigured
RH boxen on the net is absofskinglutely mindboggling. Sheesh... Week-long
email exchange with the proud owner of open-relay, insecure as hell and
already abused by several spammers... He bloody refused to listen *anything*,
refused to look at his logs (even when I told where to look ;-/), ignored
examples of mail relayed through him, ignored references to RH's website,
ignored references to www.sendmail.com. Samples:
"Redhat is NOT WINDOWS, YOU, IDIOT" (as if I don't know the difference)
"stop talking shit, it is absolutely secure!" (yes, if admin know what he's
doing)
"they are doing excellent work wrt security!" (yes, but they can't patch your
sendmail.cf automagically)
"stop talking this techy-stuff, I don't fucking care for your logs-thing!"
(it figures...)
"drop this FUD and crawl to your masters in Redmond!" (WHAT FUD, here's the
mail relayed through your box! And I have to deal with enough idiots, so
I don't need Redmond ones in addition, thank you very much)
<when I telnetted to port 25 and relayed a mail to myself>
"Ah, so you tried to hack my computer! I'll <lots of *boring* variations on
the f-word> complain and you'll <similar collection>" <he didn't> (hack your
box? Like, gain root and fix the damned thing? Sorry, bud, but I simply don't
do that.)
"I'M NOT GOING TO FIX ANYTHING, IT IS SECURE" (umhm...) "SO FUCK THE HELL OFF,
YOU, SHIT-SUCKING BASTARD!!!!" (fine with me. Let your upstream apply the
clue-by-4).

Should I mention that spam had been relayed through him all this week? Funny,
it stopped two day later. At the same moment his domain became unpingable.
Should be coincidence... Small business in OH. Ignorant admin wannabe who
was stupid enough to believe M$ bullshit re zero-admin and later read in
PC Sick about RedHat. Several millions of Linux boxen on the net. Probably
several thousands equally secure and enjoy equally clued "admins" with the
same attitude. I guess that tens of thousands boxen are admined the same way,
the only difference being that their admins are not jerks, just utterly
ignorant... Add HaXoR 3133t d00dz who are sure that they are r33l k3wl, 'cause
their boxen can't be Winnuked now... Sad. Where the fuck are we going today?
Probably the main reason of M$ commercial success was that they didn't bother
to make their soft more savvy than its users and had put all money into
marketing... Yeah, right, system can't be more reliable than its weakest part.
Basics of software design in practice, damn it all forever... I *really* hope
that RH will keep enough idealism *not* to go for it. Scary thing being that
if they would do it most of users wouldn't notice anything wrong...
</rant>

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3C905B Ethernet board
Date: 14 Jan 1999 15:41:58 GMT

Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Have you checked the RedHat hardware compatability list?  If you find it
: (www.redhat.com) you'll find the following sentences:

: The following Ethernet adapters are supported at Tier 1.
: - 3Com 3c59x,3c900,3c905 NOT THE 3c905b

: [Or, in case you mistyped the "9" and "5"s:]

: The following Ethernet adapters are supported at Tier 2.
: - 3Com 3c503,3c509B,3c579 (uses 3c509 driver)

Perhaps you should read further on.

12.4 Compatible, but unsupported ethernet adapters

The following Ethernet adapters are compatible with Red Hat Linux, but
are unsupported; it is not necessary to build a custom kernel:

    3Com 3c501,3c515
    3Com 3c905B (works for some people at 10Mb)
    Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B
    Intel EtherExpress 100plus

At http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html, which is the
page for the 3c59x driver.

The supported models are the PCI/EISA EtherLink III "Vortex" series,
(3c590 3c592 3c595 and 3c597), the PCI EtherLink XL "Boomerang" series
(3c900 and 3c905) and the new 3c905B "Cyclone" series.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |   life, to love and be loved.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:50:12 GMT

In article <77jq2r$vic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Chris Severn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <77icc4$p3f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> >Windows IS popular among most computer users.
>
> Well, that depends on your version of "popular".  Many people fill up their

In this case, I mean the one that is most used by average pc users.

Mike

From: Vialli Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remove LILO
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:12:32 +0800

Thank you for all the above replies.  :)
All I wanna do is to re-install the window95 and keep my linux exists.
Therefore, I will simply format the primary partition and install win95 and
let the linux remain after listen to many useful help from this newsgroup
and email from this group.

Vialli.

------------------------------

From: Vialli Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:29:17 +0800

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux 2.2.0pre problems with midi
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:48:49 GMT

Sorry can't really help with a solution but one thing in you post does mean
that I have a question for you...

You say that you have it running as a module, well, does the module autoload
and if so are you using kerneld or the new kernel kmod style? And also what
version of the modutils are you running?

I ask these because I am having immense trouble getting my modules to compile
without unresolved symbols and autoload.

Anything you can off would be great.

In article <77lf4q$f8l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a SB PnP 32Awe card compiled as a module in my linux kernel.
> sndconfig correctly identified the card and all the sound works correctly
> except for midi, which plays distorted.  Anyone else have a similar problem
> or possibly know of a solution?
>
> The sound options I have configured are as follows, all selected as modules:
>
> SB 16
> Yamaha OPL3
> loopback midi
> Awe32
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Adam

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
From: Cal Dunigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: * and dot files
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:58:44 -0700

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Bob McGowan wrote:
> chris ulrich wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<much snippagee>
> > (this misses files ..* which are not common.  * .[!.]* ..* is correct)

Yes it is, but it won't work in the C shell.

> My favorite solution:  rm .??* *

My favorite is:    rm .[0-z]*
It would still miss a few files if the second character is a
punctuation mark, but I have never had it happen in real life.

 The portable equivalent to rm .[!.]* is:   rm .[\ --/-~]*
but who wants to type that?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    Cal Dunigan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   There is something fundamentally
      Consulting                   wrong with a world in which Ken
      Modeling                     Thompson lives in obscurity and
      Training                     Bill Gates is a famous billionaire.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Morris)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:01:02 GMT

> For a while you could get CP/M-86, DR-DOS, Concurrent CP/M,
>PC-MOS, Xenix and probably other operating systems for 80x86
>machines

Were these os's superior in a lot of ways over
msdos??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Web-board
Date: 15 Jan 1999 00:44:45 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gilligsberger Bruno  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This one looks pretty good:
  http://www.chem.hope.edu/discus/

  Les Mikesell

From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cannot open displayx/xterm: Too many symbolic links encountered
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:09:04 +0100

I have a problem with xterm links, it's that error:

cannot open displayx/xterm: Too many symbolic links encountered
"/etc/termcap", line 219: col 10: terminal 'xterm', can't open
/usr/lib/terminfo/x/xterm

xterm points to itself

server:/usr/lib/terminfo/x# ls -ld xterm
lrwxrwxrwx   3 root     wheel          10 Jul 30 16:14 xterm ->
../x/xterm

How should this be ?
Maybe I have to install some gnu term utility or something ?

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie
 ^-^.-----,

------------------------------

From: Rob Mahurin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:06:30 +0000

Andrew Andreev wrote:

> PROBLEM: my machine's IP goes instead of the domain name and some of the
> people
> I correspond with cannot receive my messages.
>
> messages  bounce back with "<<< 501 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender
> domain
> must exist" error
>
> Our mailserver is SendMail rpm v. 8-8-7.7-17 running on RH Linux 5.1
> box.
>
> I guess I should use some kind of IP masquerading technique along with
> SendMail
>
> What should I do and is there a HOWTO for that?
>
> THANX FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
> Andrew

This is my similar situation and how I solved it:

say that my machine's FQDN is mybox.utk.edu (which is close) and that my
login name is imageek.  Most MUAs therefore would transmit my From: line
as From: imageek or From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  However, the email
address I use is robmATmad.scientist.com (with an @, of course).

I created the following /etc/userdb:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:mailname          robmATmad.scientist.com
imageek:mailname                        robmATmad.scientist.com
robm:maildrop                           imageek

again, using real @ symbols, and tabs for the whitespace.  then I ran

makemap -d btree /etc/userdb.db < /etc/userdb

and added the line

define(confUSERDB_SPEC, /etc/userdb.db)

to my /etc/mail/sendmail.mc.  Ran sendmailconfig, told it use the
existing .mc file and restart.  Now everything is good; mail sent
through sendmail comes out with my real email on it.

I got that info from a FAQ in my /usr/doc/sendmail directory, but I've
been trying to get it to behave like it is now for a month.  So I
understand your frustration.  I think for your case you would need to
make your mailname [EMAIL PROTECTED] and you should be ok.

Let me know if that helps.

Rob

--
Many a wife thinks her husband is the world's greatest lover.
But she can never catch him at it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 15 Jan 1999 01:48:57 -0500

In article <77mfvs$bec$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What do you mean by "UNIX-type" - multiuser/multitasking? Also you swing
>> from "UNIX-type" to Linux almost in one sentence. Since Linus used a 386
>> machine and 386 specific features then by definition Linux needed a 386
>>
>Listen...I was playing around with DEC Unix in 1979.  That clearly is not
        Hmm... Early Ultrix? IIRC it appeared somewhere around '81-'82. Some
ancestor? Or you mean 3BSD?

>something you could have ported (at that time) for any piece of hardware you
>could have had in your home for under, say, $4000.  Probably a lot more.  Can

        Yes, but UNIX appeared way before VAXen. Granted, you couldn't get
anything equivalent to 11/780 by that price (heck, your electricity bill
would be not far below!), but something matching 11/43... Why not? I've seen
SM-4 (clone of PDP-11) with 32K RAM serving 8 terminals. In the school. It
*did* work and was not worse than early PCs. It ran RSX-11, but I suspect that
DEMOS (port of v6 to that beast) wouldn't be worse. Now, -11 is *not* a home
box, even by account of -10 folks, but one could build something not too bad
on 68000. Sun did it several years later.

[snip]

>> A port of Linux (Elks) now runs on the 8086 so clearly an 8086 has the
>> "power" to run Linux.
>
>Where was it THEN?  And who the hell would WANT to run on an 8086?  And how
>much RAM, HD, etc does it need?

        There was OS9. There was Xenix, after all. Several years later there
were Minix and Coherent.

>> The 8 bit micros didn't _really_ have enough power but there was at least
>> one Z80 based system which supported up to 16 users (can't remember the
>> name offhand and I never used one but it did exist). There was also a Z80
>> version of "Unix" (version 6 or 7, I think) called UZI.
                                                      ;-) Fine name.
>Cool.  I didn't know about that.  Guess I was spoiled and got to use some
>pretty decent machines, for back then.
        Yup. You can't fit UNIX with paging VM into 8086, thus no BSD there.
You can (proof: it had been done) fit there an old-fashioned swapping UNIX.
PDP-11 (not to mention -7) didn't have nice paging hardware. Get the Lions
book and RTFSource. Admitted, x86 has ridiculous small number of registers
and their code looks like it was designed by a band of seriously potted
janitors with single-digit total IQ, but there were better processors around.

[snip]
>OK, enough.  I am not ignoring the presence of the 680x0 processors.  I think
>they were very nice machines and it's too bad they didn't hack it on the
>market.  I worked on a DoD program where we had 4 68040-based processors
>sharing the computing load, and they worked quite nicely.  On the other hand,
>you can't just point to Atari, Amiga and Apple and claim that MS didn't drive
        What's Apple? If you want to recall 680x0 based boxen - look at Suns.
When did SPARC appear? Right. What did they use before that?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:16:25 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:56:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Steve Jobs didn't come up with the GUI either.  He has openly admitted he
>left his vist to the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center totally awed by the GUI
>he saw there.  Jobs and Gates both ran with someone elses idea.  They are
>both snake oil salesmen.

I did not know that. I'm not a Steve Jobs fan either. The point of my
post is that one should not idolize or glamourize successful crooks.
Personally, I don't see using others ideas or skills and then taking
credit for it as model behavior. If that's how one wants to do
business, I'd prefer they don't do business with me.

Loose Nut
"Monetary systems cannot exist without poverty."

------------------------------

From: Ding-Jung Han <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 128 bit Netscape 4.08 built against glibc
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:22:52 -0500

Patrick O'Neil wrote:
> I have been using the 128bit NS 4.5 for a while.  Only recently have I
> been having any problems with it (on a RH 5.2 system).  My problem isn't
> email addresses, but just my homepage:  http://www.freshmeat.net

Yeah it happened here also. Since I kept two versions of NS on my PC
(one is 'supported' 40-bit and the other is 'unsupported' glibc 128-bit
version), whenever this happened I switched to the other version. It
would fix the problem just for a while. Then I have to switch back....

Ben

------------------------------

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AfterStep 1.6.6 RPM Help
Date: 15 Jan 1999 07:17:57 GMT

The Good News:
RedHat 5.2 has fvwm, fvwm95, AfterStep, and WindowMaker (I believe) integrated
into AnotherLevel.  This allows you to try all of these X window managers
easily.  AnotherLevel also uses wmconfig to automagically pick up any new X
applications you have loaded (which are wmconfig aware) each time you login.

The Bad News:
Any time you do much custom configuration (beyond look and feel), you will lose
your changes between logins.  You are also stuck with the window managers that
AnotherLevel understands.

So:
If you want the first behavior you will have to reinstall the AfterStep 1.5b4
which came with RedHat 5.2.  If you want to use only AfterStep and configure it
especially for your use you will have to create your own .xinitrc file which
calls afterstep only.

------------------------------

From: "Brian St. Pierre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:15:57 -0600

so adding this file will make afterstep work?  I am new to Linux so if you
could give me an idea of what to put in this file it would help a lot....
Thanks again for the help!!

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Caldwell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:40:33 -0800

In article <770b4r$v20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Those of you who say that mangled addresses don't address the problem but
> filtering (on the target host) does  ... you have it backwards.  Once the
> junk mail has been delivered, the spammer and the guy who sold him my name
> are both happy.  Throwing it away manually or using procmail are the same.

Not necessarily.  I use procmail to return an "undeliverable" code, which
bounces spam back to the sender just like a munged email address.  That
way it's the spammer's mailbox that fills up, not mine.  By running egrep
on the header, you can filter on anything in the header, so you don't
have to ding whole sites.

I will admit, however, that I refuse delivery of all email from
hotmail.com.  I've never gotten a valid email from that site, so screw
'em.

-- Larry

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: watch the traffic ??
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:33:42 +0100

==============D6C776191A999B238123FCDF

The HTTP standardly log every request on IP /var/log/http*
With SMTP and email you should look for /var/log/mail

It is al beeing recorded without you knowing it

Raymond

T.Lauter wrote:

> How can the entire traffic of a linux-webserver be recorded?
>
> That should happen for each single user.
>
> It leisures also accesses of outsides is considered.
>
> Each access over HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP should become grasp. (in and out)

==============D6C776191A999B238123FCDF

begin:          vcard
fn:             Raymond Doetjes
n:              Doetjes;Raymond
org:            SYNAPSES IT
adr:            Overijsselhaven 47;;;Nieuwegein;Utrecht;3433 PH;The Netherlands
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          programmeur VAB
tel;work:       030 6066411
tel;fax:        030 6067871
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDE telnet to linux login problem
Date: 14 Jan 1999 16:38:42 GMT

L J Bayuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>I am trying to telnet to a redhat 4.2 box from a Solaris box running
>>CDE. The connection is made, but the login prompt is never displayed. If
>>I login from another Linux box it works fine. If I telnet from the
>>console (text only screen) of the Solaris box it works fine. I get the
>>same problem trying to telnet from an HP X-terminal running CDE to the
>>Linux box. Anyone know what it may be?

> Highly likely: your TERM env variable (passed via telnet) is set to dtterm
> which Linux doesn't grok, and you are running a shell on Linux which

actually it does - but if he's running Redhat 4.2 that's probably
ncurses 1.9.9e

The current version of ncurses is 4.2
There's an faq at
        http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Why isn't this simple script working?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:02:18 GMT

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me why this *simple* script is not working? It is driving me
bonkers! (Yes, I made it executable):

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

That's it! If I type this in manually, it will work. If I run the script, it
won't set the PATH. What's up?