Linux-Misc Digest #621, Volume #21               Tue, 31 Aug 99 19:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: why not C++? (Don Waugaman)
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
  Bash 2.03 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: APS UPS software for linux? (Rob Dover)
  Re: hardware compression with DAT drive? (Marc SCHAEFER)
  HTML based Telnet client? (Rob Dover)
  Re: Sound Blaster 16 PNP in RH6 (Chris Campbell)
  Wordperfect will *not* work! (Will Lorentz)
  unlink cputime (Robin Becker)
  printer problems ("NADINA")
  Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver. (Tom Gravgaard Christensen)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (rEdtOAdE)
  Re: home directory as root for users (DanH)
  Re: Mounting & viewing audio CD's (brian moore)
  Re: multiple consoles on multiple monitors (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: GUI for ppp? (John Hasler)
  Ghostscript never ends (Yan Seiner)
  mformat complains on Red Hat 5.2 (Neil Zanella)
  Re: Can't talk on GPIB unless I'm root (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:34:29 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 31 Aug 1999 09:26:08 -0700, Don Waugaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>The solution is simple:  never return a local variable by reference from
>>a function.
>
>In other words, in this regard, references require the same care and discipline
>as pointers.

In regard to the one instance returning pointers or references to local
variables, yes.

In regard to using pointers or references to refer to local variables,
no.  A reference must go out-of-scope before the variable it refers
to.  A pointer, on the other hand, can be reseated to point to a variable
declared in an enclosing scope.  Once execution exits the scope, the
pointer is dangling.

Thus, references are safer both theoretically and practically than pointers.
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:25:21 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:58:54 GMT, R.E.Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >There is an even bigger barrier.  Microsoft sold it's rights to UNIX,
>> >and the UNIX market when it sold Xenix to SCO.  For Microsoft to now
>> >implement a version of Linux, SCO would have to publicly approve the
>> >deal.
>>
>> >???
>>
>> only if microsoft wanted to claim what it was peddling was "UNIX".
>> But linux is NOT UNIX. so this is not a barrier to microsoft.
>
>Close, but no cigar.  Microsoft sold XENIX to SCO.  SCO realised that
>Microsoft could easily reenter the market and wipe them out.  As a
>result, the language was made very comprehensive.  Microsoft was
>desparate to get Windows to Market before Mac took over the desktops,
>and he figured that UNIX was a clunky text-only format that was going
>nowhere.  If he had know what was happening at the X consortium with
>project Athena, he probably never would have sold.  Xerox/PARC was so
>upset with Apple and Microsoft that they had contributed much of the
>engineering and software technology to Athena.  By the time Gates made
>it to his car after signing the contract, IBM, HP, Sun, AT&T and several
>others purchased the outstanding stock in a way that guaranteed that
>Gates could never buy his way out of the contract.
>
>When Windows 3.1 came out and was being ignored due to intense interest
>in Sun's new IPC, Gates had that familiar sinking feeling, that same
>feeling he had when he watched the Apple II steal the show from the
>MITS Altair.  Later that day, Gates announced NT, which was supposed to
>be a "Better UNIX than UNIX".  This was at least the second time Bill
>Gates had announced an Operating System that didn't even exist.

This has me curious, I've heard of court cases where NT was declared
POSIX compliant ( supposedly so Microsoft coiuld get government
contracts which required PoOSIX comliance ). If this were true, then
how could Microsoft get away with the SCO agreement and NT?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Bash 2.03
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:56:25 GMT

I have RedHat 5.2 and I upgraded Bash 1.14
to 2.03. After the upgrade, when I try to
login to the system using any ID other than root
the system hangs. root id works fine though.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Deva

From: Rob Dover <rdover'@'bclc.stampoutspam.com>
Subject: Re: APS UPS software for linux?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:24:15 -0700

http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/

--
Reply to: is spamblocked, sorry :(  To reply to this e-mail, use
"rdover'at'bclc.com"

"A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard."

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: hardware compression with DAT drive?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 16:33:58 GMT

In comp.periphs.scsi F. Heitkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Mine has a jumper that turns the compression on or off.  The manual
: also says that issuing the proper mode select command over the scsi
: bus will turn the compression on or off regardless of the jumper

mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 2   # enable
mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 1   # show
mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 0   # disable

... works, at least on SDT-[579]000 and SDT-10000 drives.

------------------------------

From: Rob Dover <rdover'@'bclc.stampoutspam.com>
Subject: HTML based Telnet client?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:30:52 -0700

This may be a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a HTML based
Telnet client?
I am on one side of a firewall which blocks any attempt to telnet out. I
do manage an Apache server outside the firewall so could install
something if it exists.
Thanks -Rob-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Campbell)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster 16 PNP in RH6
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:55:47 GMT

Well, the odd thing is that under 5.2, sndconfig works all the time
for me without a hitch.
Chris

--
Chris Campbell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Will Lorentz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wordperfect will *not* work!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:29:17 -0700

Hi- When I was running Red Hat 5.2, I installed Corel Wordperfect and
all went
well.  Now, with a new computer and 6.0, I install it and no matter what
I've tried,
it seg faults when it first starts loading.  Corel's page suggested
installing libc5,
which I did, but this did not bring any success.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: unlink cputime
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:15:31 +0100

I asked before, but no one answered. Does unlink cause the ext2 filesys
to immediately process the removed inodes/blocks etc. so that removing
large files is costly. I find with the latest RH 6.0 that I seem to
notice the time taken for rm to remove big files (500Mb). I don't think
it was so intrusive under 2.0.37.
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: "NADINA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer problems
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:02:54 -0600

I am experiencing two problems with my printer, which is an hp laserjet
clone, (Brother HL6)

1) I can only get my printer to print directly after I print a demo page on
the printer, otherwise it won't respond to the lpr command at all, the hard
drive light will come on, but no printing occurs.  Any Ideas on why this is
happening and possible solutions?

2) The other problem I am having is with my filter, and I'm not sure if this
is related to my first problem. I am trying to make a basic filter in a bash
script executable file called filter. (I have no printtools or controll
panel due to a small hard drive).  The problem is I cannot figure out how to
get my filter to append a carriage return controll character on the end with
a new line controll character.
here is what my scrip looks like:

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = -c ]; then
cat
else
sed -e s/$/^M/
fi
# the "echo -ne" assumes that /bin/sh is really bash
echo -ne \\f

I believe I need to replace "^M" with somthing else because all this filter
actually does is print a "^M" after each line, insead of making a c.r.
happen.

PLEEEAAASE HELP ME!  OR TELL ME SOMEONE WHO CAN.
THANKS,
MATT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:53:20 GMT

I was also an OpenLinux 2.2 user and couldn't get any of these versions
to work.  I even tried Caldera support but they were no help.
Unfortunately, I also came across this problem on some other software
packages that I had downloaded.  I ended up ordering Mandrake 6.0 (Red
Hat 6.0 optimized for pentiums) from cheapbytes.com (cost around $2) and
I'm much happier.  Not only did those software installation problems go
away but Mandrake came with many more applications and utilities
including several window managers besides KDE, though I still use KDE
most of the time.  I suggest you try out some other distributions of
Linux since they're only $2 a piece at cheapbytes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Gravgaard Christensen)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:49:30 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:20:00 -0400, "Gilbert Groehn"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello Fello Linux Devotees;
>
>I am about to download Real Player 5 for my Caldera
>Open Linux 2.2 box and find that there are three possible
>linux versions listed at the Real Player download site.
>
>They Are:
>
>Linux -a.ou
>Linux -ELF
>Linux -Redhat 5.X
>
>Which of these versions is most compatible
>with Calders 2.2 and also KDE 1.1.1 ?
Go with the ELF version.
a.out is for old (very old) distributions. RH 5.x is in RPM format but
is packaged specifically for Redhat.
It's possible to use this on Caldera, but path's and such would
probably differ.

>from www using Netscape 4.51 (I thought they all included
>a media player but this version apparently does not).
This is true for alle the UNIX versions as far as I know.

-tgc
--
Tom G. Christensen, Denmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Homepage: http://hjem.get2net.dk/tgc

------------------------------

From: rEdtOAdE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:31:06 GMT

Anyone who has ever gone looking for MS product support on the web will
tell you the same thing: "Microsoft thumbs their noses at the little
guy."  You can look for days on their support pages, and come up empty
handed.  Unless you're willing to pull out your credit card don't expect
to find easy solutions to your network problems.

Make no mistake, Microsoft trips over themselves to turn out products for
businesses.  That's where the money is.  Even the operating systems that
turn up on the home machine are originally sold to businesses under OEM
licenses.

In other words, Microsoft doesn't give two cents about the individual
user.  They're more interested in selling software and technical support
licenses to the "big guys."  There is no documentation easily availible
for Microsoft products... and this is done intentionally.  If you're a
business, you pay for the documentation.  (Office 97 resource kit for
example.)  Thus, you have the resources to set up all the security
features in your network.

But the individual can not afford this.  And most people purchase they're
OS with the computer... thus it's usually an OEM license, from which
Microsoft has completely washed their hands.

So the professor's comments would have validity depending on the
application.  If the OS is located on a 200 user WinNT environment, I can
guarantee you that there is a Microsoft support line nearby being used on
a daily basis.  It'll be a secure net, but these people are paying tons of
cash for this support.

I would ask the professor to clarify his position before I jump to condemn
him.  Ask him how much money is allotted to maintain this security.

PS.  Of course there's the whole "liability" issue too... where Microsoft
never admits it's mistakes, lest millions of users demand money back.
This isn't the best environment in which to educate their customers on
potential security flaws.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: home directory as root for users
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:59:35 -0400

Brian Cash wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm sure this is a common question, but the archived responses on deja are
> rather terse and I'm not sure they always apply to Linux.  There seem to be
> an abundant number of "this should work..." responses, but they haven't so
> far. <grin>

It sounds like you want a restricted shell.  Users cannot change their
directory (cd <another directory> doesn't work), cannot change their
environment etc.

Look up restricted shell and keep your file system intact.  It'd be
murder to keep up with multiple versions of everything.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Mounting & viewing audio CD's
Date: 31 Aug 1999 22:04:19 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:28:44 -0700,
 Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've never really though about it till now, but how does
> one mount a cd drive that contains audio tracks?  Usually
> when I do it it says:
>
> (root@blah: /cd-roasters/keasycd/keasycd/keasycd) mount /dev/scd1
> mount: block device /dev/scd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd1,
>        or too many mounted file systems

You don't.  (Though somewhere there is a fake filesystem around to fake
.wav files out of them.)

> If I wanted to use a cd burning program I would need to
> be able to mount and examine these audio files.  Thanks
> much in advance for any ideas,

You would use something like cdparanoia to rip them.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: multiple consoles on multiple monitors
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:10:01 GMT

There's someone who's not paying attention.

He doesn't want to use X!

Raymonds Doetjes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: You need a commercial X-server for this. XFree86 is working on it right now to
: be released probably januarie but if you can't wait that long
: spend 200 dollars and buy a X-Server from Metro (MetroLink). ALso be aware that
: not all VGA cards support 2 carts in a system!!! Since the hardware and drivers
: are often not made for shared interrupt use. Matrox Millenium works though.
:
: Raymond
:
: Tim Kohlman wrote:
:
: > I have two video cards in my RH6.0 box and i want to run consoles on both of
: > them. Is there any way to do this? I don't want to use X.
: >
: > Please reply by e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: GUI for ppp?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:09:27 GMT

MStarkie writes:
> I need to loginto the remote server using a secure ID password which
> changes every 30 seconds. It is impossible to use a scripting method with
> this password.  I need to physically type a new password at the remote
> prompt every time I log in.

This can be done with 'expect'.  Look at the secure-card example in the ppp
docs (/usr/doc/ppp/examples/scripts/secure-card on my Debian system).
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ghostscript never ends
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:00:54 -0400

I am using ghostscript to plot large files.  I am printing to an HP 350C
using the dnj650C driver.  This all works well; the plots are scaled
correctly and plot correctly.

I am having a problem getting ghostscript to exit.  Once the job ends,
the plotter ejects the page, and lpd should end the job.

gs never exits; it sits there consuming 2-3% of CPU cycles and lpd never
clears the queue.

I am guesing that ghostscript is waiting for a command or something.
Any ideas?

This is my script invocation (at this point, the file sits in $TMPFILE):

yes | ghostscript -q -sDEVICE=dnj650c -sOutputFile=- -r300x300
-sPAPERSIZE=archD $TMPFILE

TIA,

Yan

--

           __      __
          | /      /
           /------/
       -- / \    / \ --
     /   /\  \  /  /\   \
    |   /  |  \/--|--    |
     \    /        \    /
       ~~            ~~

"The older I get, the faster I was."

------------------------------

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mformat complains on Red Hat 5.2
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:08:26 -0230

Hello,

After upgrading to Red Hat 5.2 I realize that the mformat utility from
the mtools package which is used to put a DOS filesystem on a floppy
without having root access is no longer working as it used to on Red Hat
5.0.

As root I type (after inserting a write unprotected flopy):

# mformat a:
mformat: Non-removable media is not supported (You must tell the complete
geometry of the disk, either in /etc/mtools or on the command line).

I have no idea of what the disk geometry of my standard 1.44in. floppy is.
Could someone please tell me how to fix this (either as by editing
/etc/mtools as root or by specifying the command line arguments as a
normal user).

Thanks for your hlp,

Neil Zanella

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Can't talk on GPIB unless I'm root
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:13:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gary J. Weiner wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I've been working with the Linux Lab Project's GPIB driver and I can
>talk to my scope when I run it as root, but I get errors when I try to
>run it as a user.

Uh, what are the errors?

Have you checked the permissions on the /dev/XXXX file that's
used for the GPIB board?  Make the user your runnin as can
read/write that file.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Have my two-tone,
                                  at               1958 Nash METRO brought

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:51:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) wrote:
>Change the line to run a different program (say
>   ca::ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo 'somebody hit ctl-alt-del' >/dev/console
>and you change the action the key sequence invokes

Yeah , I know about inittab, but I'm specifically looking to be enable and
disable it from certain programs. Like I said , XF86 can do it so their must
be some system call buried in libc or similar to be able to do it.

NJR