  Re: OK, so how do they do it? (Carl Fink)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Winmodems )Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux)
Date: 27 May 2000 10:06:53 +0400

In comp.os.linux.misc JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:       Quite. My Phoebe hardware ISA modem came with very reasonable
: defaults: no-pnp, com2. In this configuration I was able to slap it in
: and use it immediately.

Reasonable?! Internal modem is next worst thing to winmodem.
Modem should be a separate box, attached to the com port with cable.
Most important thing in this setup are leds and its independent power
swithch. I don't know how it looks in the West, but here in Russia it is
qute possible that modem would hang on noisy line and only
power-cycling would revive it. How'd you power-cycle internal modem?

Only thing that I don't like about external modem is that they require
something other than 5V DC or 12V DC. (typically 12V AC). If they need
some voltage, which I could get from the main power supply of machine,
I'd be able to get rid of those power supply units.

:>
:>When I installed my modem in win, I needed a bunch of driver diskettes to
:>get it to work.

No, not at all. You need a bunch of driver diskettest to make _windows_
_think_ your modem works.

Using Dos terminal program like Telix or self-written Tcl script you
could make your modem working immediately without any  drivers.
:       One should never need to 'install' a modem. A real modem is as

Why? You don't consider unscrewing case, finding ISA slot, fiddling with
IRQ-s "installing"? It can turn into half an hour of downtime.

External modems are ones whose installation doesn't interrupt system
operation. You bring in from shop, you connect it, you turn it on, and
other users of your machine do their work in the same time.

--
Whoa...I did a 'zcat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio' and I think I heard God...
        -- mikecd on #Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PHP vs Java
Date: 27 May 2000 10:13:26 +0400

In comp.os.linux.misc Ben Chausse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,

: We have a webserver on Debian 2.2 with apache 1.3.12 & mod_perl 1.21 and
: I would like to know what is the best between PHP and Java (.php or
: ..jsp) ????

You have mod_perl and you are asking about php?!
You must be joking. HTML::Mason Apache::ASP or Apache::ePerl modules from CPAN
is what you really need. As far as I remember they are available as aprt
of Debian 2.2. At least ePerl and Apache::ASP.

php is just an interpreter of scripts embedded in the web-pages, and you
are already have language interpreter embedded in your apache. (Probably
you also have people who know perl, but don't know php). Don't switch
from real programmingl language like perl to toy like php. Just use
appropiate high-level modules to achive better productivity.

: Do you know any web pages about benchmark test on PHP and Java ???

Java is another matter. It is Real Language, and as such it has not only
disadvantages, but advantages as well. If you run Solaris 8, I might
suggest you to switch to Java, but Java is just too closed-source to
work reliable on Linux - there are several incompatible version of JDK
and JRE from different vendor.

For God's sake, stick with perl, python, tcl and lisp/scheme. These languages
are proven their reliability in OpenSource environments.
: Thanks ...

: Ben0iT ...

--
Умное табу делает вид, что его ничто не касается.
                                --- С.Е. Лец

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: afio backup-Did I stump everyone or miss something really obvious???
Date: 27 May 2000 18:24:45 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nick Garigliano wrote:
>> I'm trying to do an afio backup of my redhat 6.2 system to a 1 gb scsi
>> jazz drive.  Here are the steps that I'm using:
>>
>> -    cfdisk to create a primary Linux partition (use entire disk)
>> -    mke2fs to create an ext2 fs on the disk.  Disk mounts and can copy
>> to it.
>> -    from root dir "find . -path '/proc' -prune -o -print | afio -o -z
>> -Z -v /dev/sdb1"
>>
>> The backup runs and writes to the disk but at the end the disk can't be
>> read.  Running e2fsck reports that there is no file or directory while
>> trying to open /dev/sdb1 and then suggests an alternative superblock.
>> Try that and it reports a whole bunch of bad inodes.  I've tried several
>> variations such as setting the block size in both mke2fs and afio to
>> 1024, running the backup with dev/sdb1 mounted and unmounted, doing the
>> backup on a small sub directory to ensure that the archive isn't bigger
>> than 1 gb and some other things that I can't really remember.

I'm not familiar with afio, but I presume the problem is that you are
writing directly to the device /dev/sdb1.  This destroys the file system
that you previously created, and writes a byte-stream to the raw device.

So if you're going to create the archive on a filesystem, you have to mount
it and send the output of afio (or whatever) to a file located on that file
system.  If you're going to write to a raw device, then forget the file
system creation, and don't try to mount it.

PS:  backing up a live filesystem is not a great idea.  Best to boot up
with rescue diskette, mount the file system on some temp mount point and
back it up from there.  You're on track when you don't include /proc,
but there's liable to be other file systems mounted (i.e., /winc, etc.)
which you don't want included in your archive.  tar has a nice option for
this "-l", which restricts the archive to the one filesystem being archive,
not other mounts.  Also, "-prune" is tricky to get it to work correctly.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Mike Lacey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with re-partitioning win98 drive
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 00:36:12 +0100

Dear All.

I'm having a similar(ish) problem.

I have a Win98 machine with a 9gb (model 80h)drive. I downloaded Partition
Manager followed the (very simple) instructions for shrinking the Win98
FAT32 partition. I rebooted, ran scandisk (as per instructions to adjust the
free space) which told me that the last cluster on the drive was unreadable.
With some misgivings I continued with scandisk and then split the free
space, using Partition Manager again, into a Linux and a Linux Swap
partition.

Problem - Win98 Explorer still thinks that C: is 9gb after the
repartitioning excersise.

So - all help and suggestions gratefully received, I would be grateful if
you would copy me by email on any posts.

Regards,

Mike
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.pc,microsoft.public.inetserver.iis,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: What web server?
Date: 27 May 2000 23:54:50 GMT

On 27 May 2000 18:56:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Sun, 28 May 2000 02:50:40 +0800, James wrote:
> >
> >Your few words wake me up and solve my question. This is really amazing and
> >surprising, Hotmail is using Apache and FreeBSD. I always suppose they should
> >use MS technology and MS IIS.
> >
>This may be because you think hotmail is one of MS's "innovations".
>In fact, like all of MS's "innovations" (except maybe "Bob"), it
>was bought (or stolen).  They tried to port the system to MS products
>and it was a disaster.  They haven't tried again.

actually, they DID try again. and they failed again.

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chin Fang)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Date: 27 May 2000 17:25:04 -0700

>Your few words wake me up and solve my question. This is really amazing and
>surprising, Hotmail is using Apache and FreeBSD. I always suppose they should
>use MS technology and MS IIS.

Do not forget that for hotmail, the core part is the "mail", which is
powered by Dr. Dan Bernstein's qmail (see: http://cr.yp.to/). qmail is
far more scalable than sendmail, and much simpler and faster too. As
to MS?  Well, they don't have anything of such caliber :>

Microsoft, with the purchase of hotmail, becomes the biggest
application service provider user based wise, and a big consumer of
free UNIX software (qmail, by design, is not portable to Windoz, a
good thing).  MS' attempts to replace qmail failed miserably according
to Dr. Bernstein's web pages.

Oddly, even with such irrefutable evidences, MS Exchange still sells
well??

Regards,

Chin Fang
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A curious problem with Red Hat Linux 6.1.
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 19:30:35 -0500

Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> Hi
>     I have a strange problem with running fvwm on RH Linux 6.1. I did
> not have a .fvwm2rc file in my directory. When I created one, I found
> that my fvwm manager does not respond to any changes in that. What is
> going on ? I have previously used fvwm on RH Linux 5.2 without any
> problems.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Madhusudan Singh.

Are you using just Fvwm2 or do you have the "AnotherLevel" package
installed?  If the latter, then the config files are totally different,
using m4 procession language.  To get simple Fvwm2, you'll have to
un-install AnotherLevel.

Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garry Knight)
Subject: Re: Billing software for Linux?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:36:47 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Are there any billing software packages that run on Linux
>(or work perfectly with WINE?)?

There's a big list of software that will work with WINE at
http://www.winehq.com

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wildman)
Subject: Re: No sound for Sound Blaster Live
Date: 28 May 2000 00:12:48 GMT

=====BEGIN PGP MESSAGE=====
Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
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=SNtl
=====END PGP MESSAGE=====

------------------------------

From: Tom Fawcett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to tell which linux I'm in
Date: 27 May 2000 17:53:31 -0700

* Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > More orver, here's the info I got by 'uname -a' from a famous site,
> > >
> > > Linux sdf 2.0.36 #5 Sat May 13 22:56:46 GMT 2000 i686 unknown
> > >
> > > how can I know more detail info about it, e.g. vender, version...
> > > anything.
> >
> > Vendor of what? Version of what?
>
> Sorry, I mean whether it is debian/slackware, RH 6.0 or RH 6.1... that
> sort of things

By convention, /etc/issue or /etc/issue.net contain information like this,
printed by getty before the login prompt.  I don't know how many
distributions put information there, but Red Hat and Mandrake do, and
Debian probably does as well.

See the manpages for issue and issue.net for more info.

-Tom

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:05:59 GMT

On 27 May 2000, Chin Fang wrote:

> Oddly, even with such irrefutable evidences, MS Exchange still sells
> well??

Of course!  Never under estimate the stupidity (or gullibility) of the
general public - especially those who hold the purse strings...

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrei A. Dergatchev)
Subject: Re: "On the next boot fsck will be FORCED" Sure :-) but why *not* ??
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:15:41 GMT

Dear Mr. Pitcher,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation :-) !

So, I'll have to believe that while in the past I had that file -
/etc/fastboot, I managed to lose it somehow. Well, I recall
a few days ago I had a very bad lock of the system -
I ran jobs with redirection of their outputs to file (>), and one
of jobs required more memory then there was available RAM;
somehow it seemengly created endless disk activity (probably
the fact that my swap file is on the same mount point didn't
help)
- kills and shutdowns didn't have any effect for 10 minutes
and I was reluctant to wait longer, so that I had to power it
down and exactly after that moment I started to see this
message. So, this file was somehow deleted then.
Ok, now everything is clear.

Thanks again !
Regards,

Andrei

On Fri, 26 May 2000 04:10:22 GMT, Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
[snip]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Date: 28 May 2000 01:19:28 GMT

>There's a big list of software that will work with WINE at
>http://www.winehq.com

Yup.  I tried the site yesterday and it was down..  I still can't get through.
I hope it goes back up soon!  Thanks for your responce!

=========================
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marty McGowan)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Bash vs. Korn shell Problem
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:27:25 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Jason Bentley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.certification.cisco,alt.certification.mcse,alt.certification.network-plus,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 6 certifications in 30 Days and 15+ College Credits!!!
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 18:05:07 -0000

It will take you years to gain certification?

WOW!  You are smart.

Jason

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marty McGowan)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:28:50 GMT

On 26 May 2000 10:06:59 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steven Buehrle wrote:
> >In comp.unix.questions Ken Abrahamsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Under the Korn shell (AIX 4.3.2), the following does properly initialize the
> >> stated Wkdy Mon Day Time Zone Year variables from the date command:
> >> (from within a ksh script):
> >> date | read Wkdy Mon Day Time Zone Year
> >
> >> However, under RH6.1 (BASH), the variables Wkdy Mon Day Time Zone Year do
> >> not get set (are null).
> >
> >The bash man page hints to the reason when it describes pipelines. Its
> >explained much better in the bash FAQ however. See
> >ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/FAQ
>
> Thanks for pointing out this problem.  I have to teach Linux and bash to
> people with Korn shell experience, and like to be able to mention differences.
> Since bash and ksh claim "POSIX" compliance (at least, to some greater extent),
> they should work alike.
>
> It's hard for me to understand why bash would spawn child-processes to
> implement the pipe, but that seems to be the "excuse" that the FAQ uses.
> It would seem that, if Korn shell can "make the connection" without a
> subprocess, bash could also.
>
> --
> Dave Brown  Austin, TX

  ksh is POSIX compatible.

  bash claims it.

    -- Marty McGowan
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   voting member of POSIX  P1003.{1,3}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 28 May 2000 00:06:51 GMT

I'm not enough of a programmer to contribute to technical aspects of
this discussion, but in the current LINUX JOURNAL they interview all
the contributors to the 1.0 kernel they could locate.  One of them,
Warner Losh (contributor to some early non-x86 ports) says, "Linux
doesn't live up to its hype" and is now important in the freeBSD
project.  His criticism is mainly that Linux's development model is
flawed, and he prefers the freeBSD single source tree.

Just thought people might be interested.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: OK, so how do they do it?
Date: 28 May 2000 00:07:39 GMT

On 27 May 2000 23:28:40 GMT Karel Jansens <jansens_at_ibm_dot_net> wrote:

>So how did my kernel know which port my ZIP-drive was on???!!!

I'm assuming it probes them all (by sending SCSI commands) and fixes
on the port that answers.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming