From: "al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question about performance
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 18:20:36 -0800

> Indeed .. with mandrake. It should be fine if he swaps kde2 for something
> like fvwm2 or iceman.

Yes, this is definitely a big help.  I used to run fvwm2 (and fvwm2-95, or
something like that) a few years ago, even on a Sparc box (to replace mwm).
It's nice enough.

> The kernel's OK. The ram is low. But I have single PPro 200's with 64MB
> ram, and they're fast! (running slackware 3.4).

Here is a question related to this: I have a single CPU PPro with 128 meg?
Unfortunately the memory is different (the dual PPro takes EDO buffered
DIMMs with ECC, or some such peculiar memory, which is not as easy to come
by as some others these days).  So my question is whether it would be better
to run Linux on the single CPU machine.  I suspect I'd get a lot better
performance from twice the memory, and only slightly better (if at all,
depending on the kernel, I suppose) from two CPUs.  Otherwise the two
machines are very similar (with wide rather than ultra wide SCSI on the
single CPU machine, but again, I suspect that the ultra buys me very little,
if anything).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NoMadis)
Subject: Re: Semi-newbie partition question
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:21:41 +0000 (UTC)

On 19 Dec 2000 03:30:04 GMT, Todd Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok, I am starting to make the jump over to Linux.  I got SuSE 7.0
>Professional, and a new hard drive to install it on.  I'll be manualy
>switching to it to work on it and leaving my current hd unplugged until
>I'm sure I've got things right.  I've got System Commander 2000 and
>Win95OSR2 installed on it, then moved the fat32 partition to the 7gb mark
>on my hd.  The hd is 30 gigs, so the first 7 gigs are unpartitioned, the
>next 13 gigs are fat32, and the rest is unpartitioned.  Now, on to the
>questions.
>
>1, Will YaST partition all the unpartitioned areas correctly, or will I
>need to use SC 2K to do it first?  I plan on having a 128meg swap
>partition.

I dont know about yast, but system commander will make nice ext2
partitions. 128 mb swap will most likely do

>2, I plan on using SC 2K as the boot manager, any tips I should pay
>attention to here?

Yes. SC2000 is great, but there are a few traps you can fall into.
I found that it is best to create a small, say 50 MB FAT16 partition
at the beginning of the disk.
Make a win98 bootflop and from that format this small partition with the
/s swith, so you can boot the win98 command prompt.
Do *not* do this with dos 622 or you will have vague but persisting problems
with SC2000.
Having this partition will give you the additional benefit of
putting loadlin and a linux kernel on it, so you can boot linux in case
someting goes wrong with your kernel.
Then you should install SC2000 in this partition. (SC cannot live on a
ext2 partition.)

>3, I left the start of the fat32 partition under the 8gig limit so it
>would be bootable and it is.  Is this really necessary if I use SC 2K?

I am inclined to say no, but I am not sure. Experiment with it.
However, you must put the LILO bootblock in your / partition rather than
in the MBR of the disk (SC sits there).
Then make the / partition actif and SC will display and be able to boot
linux.
You can even fill your disk with linux distros in this way.
SC will see them and be able to boot them.

>I'll be eventually moving this hard drive into a new system I'm building,
>and adding a second hd that will be mostly for Linux.  Any precautions on
>switching it over?

ususally not. If HD is not found or not bootable or whatever,
boot from a dos floppy and open scin in the SC directory.
Choose reinstall and reboot. Its really simple.

--
Greetz,
Joop

------------------------------

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to detect when a CDROM is loaded?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 18:29:07 -0800

"Tom Hoffmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:29:45 -0800, ekkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
> >
> >well, the idea is that I want hands-free operation.  I put in a CD, a
script
> >runs automatically (i.e. I don't have to manually do anything) and does
its
> >thing and when it's done it ejects the CD.
>
> Well, it would be easy to write a script that scans the mount table
> (/etc/mnt) for the cdrom device ... if it finds it, it's mounted. This
> could be set up to run in cron.

it's an interesting idea but if the user inserts an audio CD (which is in
fact what I'm interested in knowing) then no entry appears in /etc/mtab
(RH7).

> Hope this helps. BTW, ask here, get your answer here.

fair enough.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: alsa
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:32:30 GMT

glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: As a followup I did everything by the book for the installation of
: ALSA.  It was actually the fault of their documentation which said to
: edit modules.conf. Well, mine was already edited from version .5.9 of
[snip]

Yes, I know this is not going to help: :-)

I personaly found that the alsa people write exelent software.
But their documentation just sucks!
It's way outdatet.
If you're not an absolute expert with sound under linux, it's quite
ununderstandible and useless.

Happy Xmas,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sound Recording using ALSA?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:36:00 GMT

frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I installed the most recent sox copy without any problems.  But I still can
: record.  Any thoughts?

Yes, don't use the "standard record program" that comes with sox.
Look for the alsa supplied one. "Arecord or alsarecord" is the name;
I think.

The alsa drivers are great, but their documentation sucks.

Happy Xmas,
Friedhelm

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:11:03 -0500
From: Brian Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gtoaster

Siukong wrote:

> hi,
>
>   i try to use gtoaster to make a data disc. i drag all the data needed
> to the file field. however, it keeps telling me that
> "Recording 0 bytes to CD
> No Recordable Tracks found"
>
> the drive is accessible cuz i can blank the disc successfully.
> what could be wrong?
>
> SH
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I believe you have to click on the bottom of the disk tree in the upper
left hand side part of the screen.  This puts something in the upper
right hand part of the screen which you then drag to the bottom of the
screen. whew...now click on record.

It's not obvious (or even close) but it is there in the docs.
Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ellen Geertsema)
Subject: Can only REmount read/write
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:15:37 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I have this strange "problem": I'm currently running Linux 2.0.36,
and am about to upgrade to Slackware 7.1 (2.2.16), which I'm
installing on a separate SCSI drive.  When I boot into the new
system, I can mount my old system partitions without any problems,
but from my old system, I can only mount the new system partition
read-only!  When I try to mount it without the read-only option (mount
-o ro, or mount -r) I get

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde3,
       or too many mounted file systems

Mounting it read-only works fine, though, and once it's mounted, I can
REmount it read-write (mount -w -o remount) without problems!

It's a 4GB IBM SCSI drive, at scsi0, id8, partitioned like this:

sde1     Primary     DOS FAT16 (big)    384.37
sde2     Primary     Linux Swap         125.51
sde3     Primary     Linux ext2         3624.04

I copied the mount command from the new system, but that shows the
same behavior, so I assume it's a bug or something in the 2.0.36
kernel.  Anyway, it's not really a big problem, since I'll be
switching to the new system pretty soon anyway.  I'm just curious why
this happens...

Ellen
--

Ellen Geertsema               "All my life I wanted to be someone;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            I guess I should have been more specific."

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD software for Linux yet?
Date: 23 Dec 2000 23:36:18 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Don't bother with non-free software.  Keep Linux DVD players free!
> >
> >I always wondered what gives a linux user a right not to pay for dvd-
> >player, even through everyone else is paying for them ?
>
> Exactly!!! What the hell gives linux users the right to use their
> computer without paying for MS Windows like everyone else???  This
> crazy concept of freedom is just stupid, I wish [...]

oh, my goodness, this is a master piece. Thanks for the
amusement. have fun!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:43:41 GMT

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 20:12:44 -0500, Jean-David Beyer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Also, every few months, my DDS-2 tape drive bleeps up and I have to
>reboot to get it going. The process with it open is in an IO-WAIT state

Might be a problem with SCSI cables or terminators.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Embedded character
Date: 23 Dec 2000 20:50:29 -0600

In article <Ia416.33529$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Edelbrok wrote:
>How can I embed a control character in a bash script.
>
>For example, if I want to pass a control character to a process that is
>reading a script or data file that has been created with pico. I want to
>place a CTRL X or a CTRL Z or some such thing in the file. Obviously
>pressing the actual CTRL character is going to cause the wrong thing to
>happen.

I can't say about pico.  But in the shell, and in the vi editor, a
ctrl-V is an "escape mechanism" which prevents the interpretation of
the next keystroke.  So to put a "control-Z" character into a file, you
would type "control-V control-Z".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for FREE ISP for Linux in US
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 04:28:25 GMT

Hi,

I used to use FreeWWWeb.com and FreeI.net for my Linux machine to go
online.  Now that both FreeWWWeb and FreeI have closed their businesses for
NetZero, I need to find other Free ISP for my Linux machine.  Does anyone
know of any Free ISP that works under Linux?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Unable to ping
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 04:52:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Chakravarthy K Sannedhi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Linux Gurus,
>
>I got a problem with my linux box, which is using RH 6.2 version. It is
>having three nics named lo, eth0 and eth1. Interface lo is configured for
>the local loop ip address 127.0.01 and eth1 for the internal network while
>the eth0 is configured for the outside network.
>When i am trying to ping 127.0.0.1 the ping was successful with 0% packet
>loss.

I suspect that you really have 2 nics along with the normal lo loopback
interface.  If you really do have 3 network cards then something is
misconfigured or one of them is not working, because a 127.x.x.x address
can only be on the lo interface, not on a nic.

Do you have names for your IPs and any that you are trying to contact in
/etc/hosts if not in DNS?  You might be experiencing a reverse DNS lookup
timeout problem.

>When i am trying to ping with it' IP it is very much unsuccessful with about
>97% packet loss. And the ping's roundtrip statistics are about like this:
>round-trip min/avg/max=0.1/79000.2/158000.3 ms
>That means it is taking 79 seconds for roundtrip at an average which is
>unbelievable.
>For anything else to ping there is 100% packet loss.
>I tried all the following things, but didn't find them to be helpful:
>1. Verified for the IRQ conflicts in /proc/interrupts, but didn't see any
>device conflicts in it.

Do the IRQs of both (all) nics show up there?

>2. From *ifconfig -a* command i found out that all the interfaces are
>correctly setup

Does ifconfig show IPs for all of them?  Does it show any errors on any of
them after pinging.

>3. Ran *route -n* command and found there is not any problem with the
>Destination and with the Gateway.

I love it when people say "I don't see any problem" when they don't know
what they are looking for.  Perhaps if you posted the output of ifconfig
and 'route -n' we might spot something unusual.  I have often seem people
loop a gateway back to themself instead of to the remote IP (probably due
to the backwards way Win95 does it).  Make sure that you only have 1
default route (to the internet).

>4. Restarted the network with /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart command and
>everything is got initialized so properly.
>5. I tried to ping this Linux machine from the other two existing Windows
>machines and they are unable to ping this Linux machine and giving *Request
>timed out* but they are able to recognize the IP of the Linux machine(may
>they are able to find it from their arp cache).

When you start or restart the network, doe /var/log/messages show anything
unusual?

>6. Tried to ping the Name server the Linux machine sees from the Windows
>machines and the ping is successful so there is no problem with the
>nameservers also.
>7. The network seems to be perfect as i am able to ping and do otherthings
>from the Windows machines.
>
>Only the problem is with the Linux machine when i try to ping itself with
>it's IP and try to ping any other machine from it. I can provide any further
>information if needed. Please let me know.

If you cannot even ping your own IPs you would have trouble getting any
farther than that to any other IPs.  I can ping my own nic even when
nothing at all is connected to it.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for FREE ISP for Linux in US
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 05:04:51 GMT

It is highly unlikely.  It is going to get worse, many free ISP are going out
of business.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3998565.html

------------------------------

From: "DM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install HELP!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:10:57 -0800

I just installed Linux Mandrak 7.2 onto my Maxtor HDD (slave) 2 GB dedicated
to Linux only (no Windows installed).  I also have win98 installed on my
master HDD 6GB.

I followed the instructions and chose Recommended, custom, and expert
installations. When
the files finished copying, a message box with the message "idconfig
failed!" popped out. When I clicked "OK", it said "Reading list of
packages..." (or something like that) and then it gave me a "hdlist not
found..." error message.

Another message box then popped out, prompting me to partition the
drive.

What is the problem here? Why can't I install successfully?  HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Danish

NOTE: My slave Maxtor HDD isn't shown in my hardware profile cuz it has a
linux partition and Windows cant see it:

       Computer Profile Summary

            Operating System System Model
            Windows 98 No details available
            Processor Main Circuit Board
            350 megahertz Intel Pentium II
            32 kilobyte primary memory cache
            512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
            P2B-F REV 1.xx
            Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
            BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1009.B
            05/10/99
            Drives Memory Modules
            6.44 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
            3.10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

            HP CD-Writer+ 8100 [CD-ROM drive]
            MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4010M!B
            Generic IDE hard disk drive
            Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")
            Generic IDE hard disk drive (6.44 GB) 64 Megabytes Installed
Memory
            64 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
            3 Memory Sockets are Empty
            Controllers Display
            Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) 3dfx Voodoo3 [Display
adapter]
            ViewSonic EA771 [Monitor]
            Bus Adapters Multimedia
            Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative
AWE64
            16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible)
            Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI (AWE32 compatible)
            Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
            Buses Communications
            PCI bus
            ISA bus Sportster 56000 Fax Internal [Modem]
            AOL Adapter
            Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
            Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
            Network Card MAC Address:
            Other Devices
              Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            EPSON Stylus COLOR 670 [Printer]
            USB Root Hub

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Missing libc6.1-1.so.2
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:11:24 +0100

Pat Traynor wrote:

> I don't do a whole lot of development on this machine, so it may not
> be as up to date as it should, but I recently downloaded a piece of
> software that's failing due to a missing library:
>
>         error in loading shared libraries
>         libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file:
>         No such file or directory
>
> If getting this library installed is a monumental project, it's just
> not that important.  I have moderate (but not impressive) Linux
> experience, so please be gentle with me.  =-)
>
> FWIW, here is the contents of my /lib directory, if it tells you
> anything.  And thanks in advance for any help.

[...]
> libc-2.0.7.so
[...]
So you have a glibc-2.0 based system.
But the software expects a libstdc++ build for libc-6.1 aka glibc-2.1 .
Updating a system from glibc-2.0 to glibc-2.1 is a _major_ update an you
shouldn't do it unless you are knowing exactly what you are doing.

--
Markus Kossmann

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I do this? (start but maybe!)
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:40:59 -0800

I think I have it - I made a bash script using case, cut, and grep. If the
process is in "ps -A" then I do nothing, but if it isn't in the process list
I run it.

Tom

news:9l316.33523$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does killing processes leave hung resources?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:43:14 -0800

Does killing processes (either with kill or killall) leave hung resources in
Linux? Or is Linux too smart for that?

Also, if you remove files while a daemon is running, does that muck up the
disk or permanently leave some parts of the disk unreadable to Linux? For
example, deleting /var/log/messages.

Thanks,
Tom