knows the answer to ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Paul Flinders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:34:32 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The answer to this is fairly simple.  When the first PCs came out (and I'm
> not talking IBMs here, this is before that, even) they had a microprocessor
> and maybe 1k of RAM.

I don't think anything which was sold outside the hoby electronics market
had that little RAM. The early commodore PET had 8k I think, and the ZX80 (a
little later) had 16k.

> Bill Gates invented software bloat when he wrote the 4k BASIC, which
> immediately required a RAM card for those primeval PCs (I think it was
> the Altair).

There was a 2k basic available for 8080 (from Palo-Alto?). The Altair was
definately a hobby machine. In any case the BASIC on the early machines
went in ROM and 4k and 8k ROMS were easily available by the early 80's and
Microsoft BASIC wasn't ubiquitous by any means. In any case it was one of
the better ones.

> Now, can you imagine trying to squeeze a UNIX-type operating system on
> one of those?  Really, it wasn't until 1990 and later that PCs have had
> the actual capacity to comfortably run Linux.  Yeah, I know...some of you
> have 386s with Linux.  But face it, if it weren't for the software bloat
> and resulting increased hardware requirements induced by Microsoft, Linux
> probably wouldn't have many boxes to run on.  So if Linux ends up putting
> a dent into Microsoft, Bill has no one but himself to blame.

What do you mean by "UNIX-type" - multiuser/multitasking? Also you swing
from "UNIX-type" to Linux almost in one sentence. Since Linus used a 386
machine and 386 specific features then by definition Linux needed a 386

A port of Linux (Elks) now runs on the 8086 so clearly an 8086 has the
"power" to run Linux.

The 8 bit micros didn't _really_ have enough power but there was at least
one Z80 based system which supported up to 16 users (can't remember the
name offhand and I never used one but it did exist). There was also a Z80
version of "Unix" (version 6 or 7, I think) called UZI.

Z8000's 8086's and 6800's had more than enough power so there were plenty
of machines around in the mid to late 80's which could run multiuser
multitasking operating systems, including versions of Unix (anyone remember
Zeus - I had an account on one of those around 84/85 or so)

> > Bottom line..... why was DOS ever born anyway??
> >

> Because it was the only OS small enough to run on those early PCs.  Maybe
> calling it an OS at that point was being a little generous, but it got the
> ball rolling.  As much as I dislike Gates, I think we all have him to thank
> for making Linux possible.

Well DOS was bought from another outfit (I won't repeat the details here),
however it wasn't the only operating system available for machines of the
size of early PCs (CP/M 86 being the most obvious one).

You seem to be arguing at least two things - that personal computers were
not powerful enough to run multiuser/multitasking operating systems prior
to 1990 which is wrong as there were a number of miroprocessor based
systems many of which could reasonably be called "personal" computers (the
Ataris & Amigas for instance) which not only had the power to run decent
operating systems but actually did so. All at a time when Bill was still
writing Basic interpreters.

Secondly you seem to say that only due to the bloatedness of Microsoft's
software was development of faster processors required. In which case why
did Motorola compete with Intel almost neck and neck up til the 68040/486
when the operating systems which ran on 68Ks were generally quite slim (eg
GEM which fitted a GUI and a multitasking OS into 256k) and _not_ written
by M$.

Whilst expanding OS code from Microsoft certainly has played it's part in
shaping the PCs of today to extrapolate that to "I think we all have him
[Bill G] to thank for making Linux possible" is daft. The only reason we
have him to thank for Linux's existence is that when Linus wanted to run a
"real" OS on his PC nothing which was available and affordable was good
enough to stop him writing his own and that included DOS and Windows.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:34:19 -0500
From: Jon Sundquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Build:  System too big.

Roger Rouse wrote:

> I just installed Linux 2.0.0.

You might want to grab 2.0.36 before recompiling.

> I want a custom kernel.  However, make
> zImage fails in
> the last step when it tries to create the compressed kernel image.  It
> just says 'System
> too big.' and dies.  Here's some relevant info:
>
> The generic kernel boots but doesn't understand my ethernet card or
> soundcard.  Also
> it doesn't have enough pty's to start an xterm!  It's the slackware
> distribution on a
> Pentium Upgrade (use to be a 486).  Linux 1.3.?? worked just fine.
> Here's what I did:
> make config; make dep; make zImage.

Try make bzImage instead.

> Here are my questions:
>
> Why aren't there enough pty's to start an xterm?
> What's it mean the system's too big?

It's too big.  Try putting more stuff into modules.

> If I follow the instructions how could the 'system' be too big?
> How do I get around this problem?

See above.

> Is it hardware related?

No.

Jon Sundquist

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ios virtual table: where is it defined?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:41:34 GMT

I am sure this is a straight forward question with a simple answer. I am
building KDE 1.0 with gcc-2.8.1 on Slackware. In the kdebase/kdehelp submodule
during the linking stage I get the error message "undefined reference to 'ios
virtual table', 'istream::ios virtual table', and 'ifstream::ios virtual
table'. In what library are these defined so that I can link to them?
<fstream.h> and <iostream.h> are in the g++-include directory. What am I
missing? Thanks.

From: Edward Vigmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: a kill question
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:46:16 GMT

Matthias Halfmann wrote:

> Is it possilbe to have a process restart using kill? So that it rereads
> all configureation files? Is the a feature of Linux or unix in general?
> Also will it work on all processes or just one that were writen for it?
> thanks

Kill is really just a signalling mechanism so you can program whatever
action you want taken upon receipt of a particular signal. The default
response is to die. See signal(2) for details.

So the answers to your questions are:
yes
yes
Unix
only ones which are programmed to perform certain actions when they
receive a particular signal

--
Ed Vigmond
Institut de Genie Biomedical, Universite de Montreal

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fvwm2 aspect
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:21:11 GMT

In his obvious haste, alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:

: hey,

: anyone figured out if it is possible to put a graphical image into
: background? not just color or xpm files..

It's simple with xv.
Load a graphic into xv, such as the linux penguin.
Press the "root" button and select one of the tiled or mirrored options.
The image will pop into the background.

You can also include it onto a script file as a command line like this:

xv -root -rmode 9 /TEMP/u5a77/applestuff/splash -quit &

-root selects the root option. -rmode selects how the picture will be
displayed in the background and -quit quits the program, leaving the image
behind.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|       Finalist in:-      |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: Gary Watanabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: netscape.public.general
Subject: Re: Share netscape 4.5 files between linux and nt4
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:45:15 -1000

"Jesus M. Salvo Jr." wrote:

> I have netscape 4.5 installed both on nt4 and linux on a single machine.
> I would like to be able to use netscape on either os and use and
> maintain the same inbox, newsgroup settings, downloaded newsgroup
> messages, bookmarks, etc.....
>
> Is this possible and how?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Try asking here: snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.communicator.unix

--
Aloha
gary

The Netscape Unofficial FAQ
http://www.ufaq.org
Backup UFAQ
http://www.inmind.com/people/phranc/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ronald Duncan)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help needed: corrupt mbr
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:23:10 +0000

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:06:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi, I have a Dell XPi Laptop with 800Mb hard drive, I had SuSe 5.3 running
>with LILO. On a rebuild to install NT so a friend could use it while his NT
>box was u/s I fdisked and formatted using win95 boot disk, a Win 98 Boot disk
>and Partition Magic. But on boot it does not load into the C: drive , it
>hangs with 'LI' on the screen.
>
>Is there a way to recover the MBR or a utility availabe?

from a dos boot floppy say: fdisk /mbr
This will allow you to boot the ms operating system from the hdd.

--
Ronald Duncan                     | http://www.duncans.co.uk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:49:08 -0600
From: Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and

Eric Hardwick wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) wrote:
>
> >Is your Win95 partition FAT or FAT32?  There is a known bug in Linux (as
> >of 2.0.36) which *may* cause the kernel to crash if you mount a defective
> >filesystem.  To the FAT12/16 code, a FAT32 filesystem *is* defective.
> >Next time you get a successful Linux boot, edit the fstab file so that the
> >Win95 filesystem does not auto-mount.  You may find that this cures the
> >problem.
> >

> Yes it is FAT32. I just tried your suggestion. It seemed to work the
> first time I booted win95 and then Linux. Linux booted correctly all
> the way through. So I tried it again...Booted windows then Linux. No
> go. Same problem. One thing was different the first time, might mean
> nothing. I used 'rmmod' to unload the vfat module, then rebooted into
> windows, then Linux. This worked. Another round of reboots and Linux
> *doesn't* boot. I don't really think this is the cause but can someone
> tell me how to prevent the vfat module from loading during boot up? Is
> it a config file I need to edit?
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Eric Hardwick
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

the file is /etc/fstab  and yes you need to remove the line mounting
your win95 drive  (find it by the VFAT line) or just change the type to
msdos instead of vfat and it should automount fine.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:58:15 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: determine modem connect speed?

Thomas Frese wrote:

> Does anybody know of a way to display the modem
> connect speed whenever one dials in? I'm using
> pppd from the command line. The older version of pppd
> seemed to write the connect speed into /etc/ppp/CONNECT_ERRORS,
> but the newer one in RH5.2 doesn't seem to do that anymore.
> I don't like to turn on the 'debug' option all the time..
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

I keep xconsole (it is in Debian) up to see when connection occurs,
and I initialize the modem so that it reports connection speed.
Get the list of AT commands. For my modem (Zoltrix FMVSP336i),
ATS95=44 makes the modem report
CARRIER [DCE rate=connection rate, at most 33600bps for me]
CONNECt [DTE rate=115200bps]

PS. this is the corresponding info from Zoltrix

S95     EXTENTED RESULT CODES
        Range:
        The bits in this register can be set to override some of the
        Wn command options. A bit set to 1 in this register will enable
the
        corresponding result code regardless of the Wn setting.

Bit  Decimal Value  Function
0 =       1         CONNECT CODE indicates DCE speed instead of DTE
speed.
1 =       2         Append /ARQ (automatic repeat request) to verbose
                    CONNECT XXXX result code if protocol is other than
none.
2 =       4         Enable CARRIER XXXX result code.
3 =       8         Enable PROTOCOL XXXX result code.
5 =       32        Enable COMPRESSION result code.

Note: To enable more than one function, add up the decimal values of the
      function you want to enable.
Example:
      To enable CARRIER, PROTOCOL, COMPRESSION; You would add 32+8+4.
      The command to enable these Functions would be ATS95=44

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rage Matrix)
Subject: Re: Newbie To Linux..Questions.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 15:53:17 GMT

Thanks to everyone who wrote back with some very helpful information.

Cheers!

-- Jon.
Jonathan M Baker                     Member of PLOT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Programmers Legion of Obvious Talent)
Tron Software                       "Hey...kinda feel like God"
   - - - - - - - - MEMBER OF THE FIRST CHURCH OF WINTERMUTE - - - - - - -

From: Rob Mahurin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to set execution directory path ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:17:04 +0000

Dmitriy wrote:

> Let's say I have directory /home/dev
>                                     --->/my_cpp
>                                     --->/my_tcl
>                                     --->/my_bin
> How can I set a path on Red Hat 5.2 to /home/dev/  so that I can execute
> anything in it as well
> as in /home/dev/ subdirectories without explicitly specifying each one ?
> Thanks in advance,
>                 Dmitriy.

check this out:

10:19 $ dir src/*
src/set_vesablank    src/set_vesablank.c

src/21days:
day01

src/tyc:
ch1            ch2            holyshitballs
10:19 $ dir src/* | grep :
src/21days:
src/tyc:
10:20 $ dir /home/alphenglor/src/* | grep :
/home/alphenglor/src/21days:
/home/alphenglor/src/tyc:
10:20 $ echo $PATH
/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
10:22 $ for i in $(dir /home/alphenglor/src/* | grep :); do export
PATH=$i$PATH; done
10:24 $ echo $PATH
/home/alphenglor/src/tyc:/home/alphenglor/src/21days:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

/bin/dir on my system is just a copy of /bin/ls; I used it I've aliased
'ls' to alter the default output.  But does this do what you wanted?

Rob

--
Many a wife thinks her husband is the world's greatest lover.
But she can never catch him at it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:40:00 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Fellatio Is Good For Consumers

Ambassador KosH wrote:
> who gives a rat's ass what the public thinks? the majority of the people polled
> (not necessarily the general public) think clinton shouldn't be removed from
> office, but he still commited crimes that would get the average joe around 5-15
> years or more in jail under federal law. Just because part or most of the
> public likes the person on trial doesn't mean that the law should overlook the
> issue because they are popular.

Joe The Average would not be asked whether he had had a fellatio with a
White
House ex-intern. Because nobody would spend $40,000,000 to harm Joe The
Average, even in case Linda Tripp sent thousands of tapes about all
posible
kinds of Joe's sexual deeds (I assume Joe did not rape anyone) to all
judges
and school teachers in both the US and Canada.
And Ms. Jones would not care to allege Mr. Joe The Average even if he
had
shown eleven penices to her.

If somebody just does not like democrats for high taxes or prohibiting
cannons
from everyday use, this does not excuse asking a president under oath
whether he
had sex or perhaps masturbated near the oval office. To mention, the
senators who
will decide whether to remove Clinton from office or not, have not been
asked
under oath regarding their sexual fidelity. Should they have been?..
Hey, what
if they are not impartial?..

Who knows -- maybe the public understands it damn well, although some
*ambassadors* pretend they do not. By the way, if as you say all
let-him-stay
people (sixty something percent?) are also pro-Clinton and perhaps
*bloody democrats*,
why is there republican majority?
Andrew

PS. I am sorry for wasting the bandwidth and not going to answer the
flames.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Are conditional symbolic links possible?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 02:58:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Is there any way whatsoever (even a quick and dirty way) to make netscape see
>libc.so as pointing to one version of libc, while other programs linked to
>libc.so see it as pointing to a different version? Perhaps this is not
>possible directly, but could a shell script successfully accomplish this
>while letting apps that use the two different versions co-exist peacefully?
>
>I figure that the reason I am having so many headaches with
>Netscape could be that it's linked to use libc 5.4.22, whereas
>I have 5.4.44 on my system.  I don't want to erase my current
>version of libc because many programs depend on it (i.e. all the
>programs I currently have installed).  If anyone has any idea
>how I could use two versions of libc on the same system, please
>enlighten me.

Maybe putting the special versions in another directory, and
doing something like:
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path-to-special-lib
   netscape ...
This should make netscape look in the given path for its
libraries before the regular places.

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Statement of Bill Neukom As Government Rests Its Case
Date: 15 Jan 1999 11:57:15 +0100

Thomas Womack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In gnu.misc.discuss David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> : "Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> : > The curtain is coming down on a feeble case presented by the
> : > government, a federal government agency and state attorney-generals,
> : > certain of them, who have decided to do the bidding of competitors
> : > of Microsoft, competitors who have been largely unsuccessful in
> : > competing on the merits of their technology in the marketplace.
>
> : "Merits of technology?"  Let me get this straight.  First Microsoft
> : offers Internet Explorer with a similar pricing as Netscape.  Nobody
> : wants it.  Then they offer it gratis while Netscape still costs
> : money.  Nobody wants it.  Then they deliver it with their operating
> : system unasked.  Still many people install Netscape over it.  Then
> : they tie it into their operating system in a way which makes it pretty
> : hard to remove it.
>
> I think you're being a little unfair here, in that you're forgetting
> that Microsoft simultaneously spent *lots* of money bringing IE from
> IE 1.0 and IE 2.0, which were reinforced disasters on wheels, via IE 3
> which was pretty decent, to the really quite good IE4 and IE5.

No, I'm not being unfair.  I'm just telling that Microsoft has decided
to stuff their product down the throat of Windows user instead of
competing on technical merits.  That IE4 and IE5 are an improvement
over the earlier ones does not change the way Microsoft forces them
onto their users.  Even if the quality of what they are stuffing down the
throat of their customers were superior to everything else, they have
decided that the customer is not to be allowed to decide this for
himself.  Whatever the technical merit of IE5 might be, they have
given up taking the dare to let it compete.

They may be force-feeding their users something good, but they *are*
force-feeding them.

> The idea of having a web browser strongly integrated with the filer is
> a good one - kfm gets quite a lot of milage out of it. OK, in an ideal
> world this is implemented at the filesystem level, but, if that's not
> practical, having a filer/browser combination seems sensible.

I am not arguing against it.  However, they have tied this thing,
which is just a Web browser, in a *secret* way into their operating
system and have taken pains that you cannot really properly remove it,
or replace it by something functionally equivalent.  That's avoiding
competition.  The competitive way would have been to define a set of
interfaces for using a browser in that function from the operating
system, publish this interface, and *then* deliver the operating
system and browser.  That way they would have had a headstart (and
that is all that really good technology needs for success), but had
permitted competition.

> Microsoft, of course, have caused an awful lot of confusion by using
> the words 'operating system' interchangably to mean 'kernel', 'window
> manager', 'filer' and 'distribution'.

When Microsoft uses a word, it means just what they want it to mean
and nothing else.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redifining alt-ctrl-del keys
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:31:13 GMT

Filip Hosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On my portable I would like to define next to my alt-ctrl-del key
: another combination (say alt-ctrl-end) to "halt" the pc.(halt also shuts
: of the machine power)

: Any solutions?

Look in your /etc/inittab

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |   life, to love and be loved.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux newbie asks a question about booting Linux that he believes he
already knows the answer to
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:23:27 GMT

It is LILO (the multi-OS bootloader), not Linux, that requires the
kernel to be located below cyl 1024.  You'd need to boot from floppy
or use loadlin.exe to boot Linux from DOS.

Red Hat 5.1 has some (solveable) issues with using loadlin.  I don't
know about other distributions.