Linux-Misc Digest #623, Volume #27               Mon, 16 Apr 01 21:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 4 pages per sheet, double sided (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: How to setup an international keyboard with Gnome? (Heinz Ruffieux)
  Re: Problem using mmap under Linux (works under Solaris) (Kenny McCormack)
  Suggest HW diagnostic program? (Andrew Purugganan)
  RedHat 7.1 too early ?,... (Arctic Storm)
  Re: RedHat 7.1 too early ?,... ("Monte Milanuk")
  Re: Linux Mandrake 8.0 (Dave Uhring)
  Re: How to see the boot log? (Frank Ranner)
  Re: RedHat 7.1 too early ?,... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: READ THIS!!!Here is the technical explanation! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to measure elapsed time? (MH)
  Re: How to measure elapsed time? (MH)
  Re: How to measure elapsed time? (MH)
  Re: How to measure elapsed time? (MH)
  Re: How to measure elapsed time? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Autostart Apache on RH (ThanhVu N)
  Re: HP USB modem in linux (L.V.Gandhi)
  Re: Suggest HW diagnostic program? (David)
  Re: Autostart Apache on RH (David)
  Re: RedHat 7.1 too early ?,... (Alex)

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 4 pages per sheet, double sided
Date: 16 Apr 2001 13:19:29 -0800

"Andrea Furin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How could I print 4 pages per A4 - sheet (position: landscape) in such a way
>that the 2th page is opposite to the 1th and the 4th to the 3th?
>Something like that:
>front:  1th (left)  4th (right)
>behind:  3th (left)  2th (right)

It depends on how you generate the pages to begin with.  I don't recall
if I've seen a purely PostScript manipulation tool to do it, but I do
think that could be done.  However, if you use TeX or LaTeX to generate
the pages you can use the dvidvi program to resize, rotate, and print
multiple pages per page (including exactly as you are describing).

I didn't look hard enough to find it, but years ago there was another
program to accomplish that too.  All I can remember is that "book" was
either the name or part of the name.  I'm sure that with a little effort
poking around in archives or with a search engine on the web you can
find that one too.  I don't recall exactly what it was suitable for
though...

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to setup an international keyboard with Gnome?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:30:04 -0000

Hi Joao,

Of course!!!!! Why didn't I get to this solution myself??? Maybe I worked
for too long with Windows NT since I configured X last time ... smile...

Thanks a lot for your hint.

Have a good time

Heinz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny McCormack)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: Problem using mmap under Linux (works under Solaris)
Date: 16 Apr 2001 17:29:10 -0500

In article <9bfjjp$edf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Norman Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I do not know about the /dev/zero thing but I use MAP_ANONYMOUS under both
>Linux and Solaris.

Well, not in my world.  I did:

        grep MAP_AN /usr/include/*.h /usr/include/*/*.h

on both systems and get MAP_ANON == MAP_ANONYMOUS in Linux, but nothing (no
hits) under Solaris (5.5.1).  Maybe it shows up in later versions of Solaris.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Suggest HW diagnostic program?
Date: 16 Apr 2001 16:24:33 GMT

Is there a HW troubleshooter that's similar to msd.exe? There are times
when "Uncompressing Linux....." fails with different messages e.g.
invalid compressed format
OR
CRC error
OR
no more valid input from device
ETC
But other times I am able to get in with no problem, and it shows no
signs of failure (or degradation of performance). Any diagnostic program out
there that I could run that might detect the cause?

I have a P233 with 64M SIMMsRAM and a Voodoo Graphics card4M
running Mandrake Linux 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13-22mdk
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.1 too early ?,...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:40:15 GMT

According to the package list for RedHat 7.1, the included Linux kernel
is 2.4.2.
According to www.kernel.org, the latest stable version in 2.4.3.
RedHat 7.1 includes XFree86 4.0.3, but version 4.1 is just around the
corner.
RedHat 7.1 includes Netscape 4.76 instead of 4.77; also, an option for
verison 6.01 is absent.
Should RedHat wait a bit longer to include a more stable version of the
Linux kernel and XFree86 4.1?

------------------------------

From: "Monte Milanuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.1 too early ?,...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:27:54 GMT

No.  RedHat does need some time to test things to make sure everything works
together, at least somewhat, before they put it out the door.  At this
point, it's probably not work crying over spilt milk... I'd imagine the
iso's are already set and the packages/documentation are set.  I'm sure
there will be updates available shortly.  There always are, no matter what
distribution.

Monte

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:32:28 -0500

routerl wrote:

> Before I start posting about how Mandrake 8.0 is full of bugs and then get
> reminded that its just a beta, I want to ask this question:
>
> - Is it worth downloading Mandrake 8.0 before the final version is
> released?
>
> I have been dying to swicth over to Linux permanently but have not had the
> chance to do so yet because my system is somewhat exotic.
>
> AMD Athlon (Classic) 750MHz
> 128mb RAM
> Asus K7V Motherboard <--- Here lies the problem
> VooDoo 3 2000 AGP <--- Here too, I think
>
> Now, the K7V motherboard uses a VIA chipset and has built in sound card.
> Mandrake 7, 7.1, 7.2 did not support this "sound card". I think it was a
> KDE problem because KDE 1.9 was shipped with 7.2, not the real KDE 2. Will
> this be solved now?
>
> And about the Voodoo 3, 3dfx went out of business. Will this, at all
> affect the development of drivers for Linux or are they all third party?
> The one site I know of that has Linux 3dfx drivers was linux.3dfx.com and
> they're gone now.
>
> Please help me out if you can. It would also be nice to hear from someone
> who has used the 8.0 beta.
>
> routerl

What's the problem with the motherboard?  I'm using an MSI K7T Pro 2A with
the same chipset and listening to Real Player right now.  Install the alsa
drivers and library.  Build your kernel with modular sound and no driver
modules.  At boot time

modprobe snd-card-via686a
modprobe snd-pcm-oss

My system also runs with ATA-100 using the 2.4.3 kernel.

And the drivers for the Voodoo 3 are in XFree86-4.0.3, whether 3dfx has
been bought out or not.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:36:58 +1000
From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to see the boot log?

Dino Hsu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> There are some errors in the booting process, such as mount or network
> errors, but I cannot stop the screen to see them. How do you see these
> boot log? Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Dino

Look in /var/log/boot.log
regards, Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:43:24 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> According to the package list for RedHat 7.1, the included Linux kernel
> is 2.4.2.
> According to www.kernel.org, the latest stable version in 2.4.3.
> RedHat 7.1 includes XFree86 4.0.3, but version 4.1 is just around the
> corner.
> RedHat 7.1 includes Netscape 4.76 instead of 4.77; also, an option for
> verison 6.01 is absent.
> Should RedHat wait a bit longer to include a more stable version of the
> Linux kernel and XFree86 4.1?

RHAT has to at _some_ point throw a stake in the ground, and pick the
versions that will be included in a particular release.  Seeing as how
it takes a goodly couple of months to:

-> Update documentation
-> Perhaps spend some time testing the software
-> Set up the "golden CDs"
-> Send golden CDs to a CD house to stamp thousands of copies
-> Box them, throw in documentation
-> Ship the boxes to distributors

At which point it's probably a couple weeks away from actually getting
to a local store shelf, and isn't even advertised yet.

Put that all together and it's _guaranteed_ that by the time the boxes
get onto shelves, there will be a newer kernel version, and probably a
newer version of XFree86.

RHAT probably needs cash flow more than they need to wait around for
XFree86 4.1 to stabilize and be tested.  And there will almost
_always_ be a major new release of _something_ imminent...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: READ THIS!!!Here is the technical explanation!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:43:29 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>   In a message on Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:22:57 GMT, wrote :
>
> c> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer) writes:
> c> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> c> > Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> c> > > Jason wrote:
> c> > >>
> c> > >> If this is the wrong newsgroup, sorry.
> c> > >> Hi, I have an important question, I'm not trying to cause trouble, but
> c> > >> why is it that Internet Explorer  for Microsoft runs so much faster than
> c> > >> any browser on Linux?
> c> > >
> c> > > It's not. It's faster than Netscape or Mozilla for some things,
> c> > > but is slow as a sloth compared to Konqueror and many of the other
> c> > > borwsers out there.
> c> > >
> c> > > In part, IE has going for it that portions of the browser reside in the
> c> > > kernel instead of user space, and it uses DirectDraw for some rendering
> c> > > (and Netscape etc don't use DRI). Also, IE uses the native widget set
> c> > > whereas Netscape uses the poorly design Motif widget set. In comparison,
> c>
> c> > Motif is hardly "poorly designed".  Netscape's implementation on
> c> > Motif was very poor.  Netscape's ignorance is not Motif's fault.
> c>
> c> Hmm...  Motif has long been famed for requiring applications to have
> c> quite a lot of workarounds for bugs that accreted over the years.  And
> c> of course, once there's a substantial codebase out there that
> c> _depends_ on working around the bugs, that makes it impossible to fix
> c> them.
>
> c> <http://ecco.bsee.swin.edu.au/unix/uh/motif.html>
> c> <http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html>

> The *main* problem with Motif is not so much Motif *itself*, but the
> Xt code it lives on top of.  The Xtoolkit (libXt) is a (poor)
> attempt to implement an OOP library with a non-OOP language (plain
> C).  Xtoolkit predates C++ and thus does not make use of the
> maturity of C++ and is pretty much stuck with a basicly *primitive*
> OOP hack.  Motif, in part due to the basic primitiveness of the
> Xtoolkit, is a massive resource hog and is also massively cumbersome
> to program with, *especially* if one is using C++ -- you end up
> using an OOP language using a fake OOP interface to a library
> written in a non OOP language that is *pretending* to be OOP.  Gag
> me with a turkey baster...  Been there, done that, won't do it
> again.  One can get the look-and-feel of Motif using Tcl/Tk scripts
> layered on top of C++ class libraries.  Rapid, clean, *fast*,
> simple, AND cross-platform (at no extra cost).

That seems to makes sense, although I've certainly heard flames in all
kinds of directions surrounding Xt, with the usual counter being
something along the lines of:

   If you want to make a _Proper_ X application, you should use Xt,
   and not this evil GTK or Qt stuff, which don't quite conform to
   ICCCM, and where you can't merge resource databases...

I don't really have much love for ICCCM, nor for xrdb...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to measure elapsed time?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:48:03 -0700

Holland King wrote:

> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>
> : Here's what MAN gives me:
>
> : TIME(2)             Linux Programmer's Manual             TIME(2)
>
> you might have to install it try:
> man -k time
> and if you don't get time (1)
> then try
> apt-get install time

I've found it on my Debian box, but the page was apparently not installed
on my RH box.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:48:35 -0700

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>

>>> This is what it says:
>>>
>>>      If the *time* reserved word precedes a pipeline, the elapsed
>>>      as  well as user and system time consumed by its execution
>>>      are reported when the pipeline terminates
>>>
>>> And it defines pipeline as:
>>>
>>>      Pipelines
>>>        A pipeline is a sequence of one or more commands separated
>>>        by the character |.  The format for a pipeline is:
>>>        [time [-p]] [ ! ] command [ | command2 ... ]
>>>
>>> So I don't see how it could be misconstrued! You have the trivial case
>>> of a pipeline of one command. So no pipe (vertical bar) symbols.A It's
>>> just. You also don't want the optional negation symbol. I haven0t the
>>> faintest what -p means, but it's optional, so so you just want:
>>>
>>>        time command
>>>
>>> for values of command ranging  from echo hi, to make bzImage.
>
>> Here's what MAN gives me:
>
>> TIME(2)             Linux Programmer's Manual             TIME(2)
>
> That is not the manpage you want! Time is a sh (and csh) builtin. You
> want the man page for bash (or tcsh). Section (2) of the manual is
> devoted to system calls that programmers can put in their codes. You
> are not interested in that.
>

> Peter

The correct man page is not installed on my RH box for some reason.

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:49:45 -0700

Drew Roedersheimer wrote:

> That's a different section of the manual - in particular, the programmer's
> section.  Try `man 1 time` (at least on my Debian system) to get the page
> that Peter was referencing...

Yeah, it's on my Debian box, but not my RH box!?!

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:55:56 -0700

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>>> time command
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> I read the man page before posting.  Unintelligible.   Nothing I tried
>> worked.
>
> This MH guy is just a troll. At least he admits to poor english language
> interpretation. If he can't even manage 'time command' he's in trouble.

I think you're responding to the wrong person here, but anyone can make a
mistake...right?  Also, you might try reading the entire thread before
posting derogatory comments.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:08:47 +0200

MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> That is not the manpage you want! Time is a sh (and csh) builtin. You
>> want the man page for bash (or tcsh). Section (2) of the manual is
>> devoted to system calls that programmers can put in their codes. You
>> are not interested in that.
>>
> The correct man page is not installed on my RH box for some reason.

If you don't have the man page for bash and/or tcsh, you don't have
anything! Look again. "man bash".

From: ThanhVu N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Autostart Apache on RH
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:14:57 -0400

Hello,

Apache is already installed with my system (rh 7.1)  I have it configured
but not sure how to make it autostart when the system is up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L.V.Gandhi)
Subject: Re: HP USB modem in linux
Date: 17 Apr 2001 00:19:01 GMT

Thanks for the info
On 15 Apr 2001 04:53:21 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 15 Apr 2001 00:41:21 GMT, L.V.Gandhi staggered into the Black Sun and
>said:
>>Whether HP USB modem works in linux? If it works, how is its
>>performance?
>
>Need more information as to make and model number, I think.  According
>to the specs in Documentation/usb/acm.txt , USB modems that follow the
>ACM standard should work.  However, at http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ ,
>the only entry under "Comm" for HP is a LoseModem that doesn't work.
>That database is incomplete, though.  Try it out and see if it works?
>
>(Hmm, md3.vsnl.net.in ?  Do you work for Ninestar?)
No. It is my ISP in India.

--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggest HW diagnostic program?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:50:49 GMT

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> Is there a HW troubleshooter that's similar to msd.exe? There are times
> when "Uncompressing Linux....." fails with different messages e.g.
> invalid compressed format
> OR
> CRC error
> OR
> no more valid input from device
> ETC
> But other times I am able to get in with no problem, and it shows no
> signs of failure (or degradation of performance). Any diagnostic program out
> there that I could run that might detect the cause?
>
> I have a P233 with 64M SIMMsRAM and a Voodoo Graphics card4M
> running Mandrake Linux 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13-22mdk

This link may be of help.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-hw1/index.html?wzone=linux?open&l=335,t=gr,p=lxhwstabgd1

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.164% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Autostart Apache on RH
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:57:11 GMT

ThanhVu N wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Apache is already installed with my system (rh 7.1)  I have it configured
> but not sure how to make it autostart when the system is up.

Well on a RH 6.2 system you can run the command "setup" in an xterm or
at the console and choose system services and place an asterisk next to
the service you want to run at boot time.

You can also use "ntsysv"

Or  "tksysv"

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:22:47 -0400

Arctic Storm wrote:

> According to the package list for RedHat 7.1, the included Linux kernel
> is 2.4.2.
> According to www.kernel.org, the latest stable version in 2.4.3.
> RedHat 7.1 includes XFree86 4.0.3, but version 4.1 is just around the
> corner.
> RedHat 7.1 includes Netscape 4.76 instead of 4.77; also, an option for
> verison 6.01 is absent.
> Should RedHat wait a bit longer to include a more stable version of the
> Linux kernel and XFree86 4.1?

I think I am more disappointed at that they are still using GCC2.96
instead of GCC2.95. I used to like RedHat. One thing for sure, as long
as they are not using the standard stuff, I will not buy or use RedHat
stuff. I was using RedHat 6.2 and never bother to switch to 7.0. I think
I will switch to Debian or Slackware sometime soon.

Maybe it's just me...

Alex.