From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:24:42 GMT

On 26 May 2000 07:20:43 -0700, s@- <s@-> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>>>Communication between interested party about the specific bug is done
>>>via this system. This way, all communications, information, and
>>>final resolution is kept in one centralized place for ever and is
>>>not lost.
>

>>This sounds quite a bit like the kernel mailing list.
>
>wholly cow. another idiot.

If this is how you act out in the real world I feel sorry for you.  Grow up.

>this is like saying a text file is just like a relational database becuase
>you can use both to store data in them.

No

>i have been around and i have seen groups of morons in large quantities
>and in close proximity before, but never so many in one place as
>in this newsgroup.

And so you thought you'd add to the problem?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH Linux 6.2 and FAT32.
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 16:37:16 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Michael Brailsford wrote:
> >
> > Are there any problems installing RH 6.2 on a FAT32 system?  I've read the
> > kernal 2.2 and higher can read understand FAT32, but RedHat.com said the
> > make sure that you are not using FAT32.  Is RedHat.com just behind the
> > times, or can RH 6.2 just not support FAT32?

> Linux kernels have supported FAT32 file systems since 2.0.35
> or earlier.   I have installed dual boot RedHat systems which
> support FAT32 since RH5.1 or earlier.
>
> I think you may have misunderstood something you read on the
> RedHat website.   Just where did you see that?

Maybe he was thinking of *installing* linux on a FAT32
filesystem, which probably not be a very good idea, as FAT32 does
not support file ownerships/permissions, symbolic links and other
such niceties that linux takes for granted.  You can, as you
point out, configure linux to read and write to a FAT32
filesystem, but I don't think you'd want to install linux itself
there.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Frank Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG web page maker called Top Page
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:31:44 +0100

Steve Kayner wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Spawn
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > IBM is porting WYSIAWYG web app called Top Page. Here is the url:
> > http://www.jp.ibm.com/esbu/E/toppage/index2.html
>

> Warning: This is a beta and was extremely unstable on my rig. Very
> little of it works correctly.

It seems to work fine on mine but I have hardly pushed the limits with it;-)

--
-o>   Frank Johnson
 /\   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 May 2000 09:42:16 GMT

John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Leonard Evens wrote:

:> >
:
:> Linux kernels have supported FAT32 file systems since 2.0.35
:> or earlier.   I have installed dual boot RedHat systems which
:> support FAT32 since RH5.1 or earlier.
:>
:> I think you may have misunderstood something you read on the
:> RedHat website.   Just where did you see that?

: Maybe he was thinking of *installing* linux on a FAT32
: filesystem, which probably not be a very good idea, as FAT32 does
: not support file ownerships/permissions, symbolic links and other

It's a very good idea and entirely standard. Think about "umsdos". Or
about a fat32 file mounted as a loopback ext2fs file system.

Where do these misconceptions come from? Linux has always supported
umsdos file systems as ROOT. From way before 2.0.35.

From: Matthew Millers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Access a Windows NT printer share?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:01:24 GMT

Hi,

Is there a way to access a windows NT printer share through linux
(RH6.2)?

Regards
Matthew Millers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst von Brand)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 28 May 2000 09:17:05 GMT

On 24 May 2000 12:19:37 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

[...]

>>Once you use an
>>'enhanced' feature, you are tied to a non-free Microsquish library.
>>You are at the mercy of Microsquish.  If the code is at least LGPL,
>>then the library code is still going to be free.  Microsquish must
>>make its changes available as source.

>Unlikely.  In the former case you will at least have working,
>well tested code as the base and we won't have to deal with
>a worse alternative.  If the base code is not usable in a
>proprietary product, the alternative is to re-invent it, usually
>badly.  Imagine where we would be if every vendor including
>tcp/ip had re-written it from scratch because the bsd version
>could not have been used.  Microsoft and Linux both went this
>route even though it wasn't required, and the world has gone
>through several years of pain as a result shaking out bugs
>that we really didn't need in the first place.

As I remember it, the BSD TCP/IP code was being threatened by the AT&T
lawsuit at the time. When that cleared up, Linux' TCP/IP was good enough,
and to hack the BSD code into Linux would have meant greater pain.
--
Horst von Brand                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

------------------------------

From: "Mike Lacey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Partioning Problem, Win 98, Model 80h
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:25:18 +0100

Problem - Win98 Explorer still thinks that C: is 9gb after the
repartitioning excersise.

I have a Win98 machine with a 9gb (model 80h)drive. I downloaded Partition
Manager followed the (very simple) instructions for shrinking the Win98
FAT32 partition. I rebooted, ran scandisk (as per instructions to adjust the
free space) which told me that the last cluster on the drive was unreadable.
With some misgivings I continued with scandisk and then split the free
space, using Partition Manager again, into a Linux and a Linux Swap
partition.

So - all help and suggestions gratefully received, I would be grateful if
you would copy me by email on any posts.

Regards,

Mike
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Partioning Problem, Win 98, Model 80h
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:05:55 GMT

"Mike Lacey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Problem - Win98 Explorer still thinks that C: is 9gb after the
>repartitioning excersise.
>
>I have a Win98 machine with a 9gb (model 80h)drive. I downloaded Partition
>Manager followed the (very simple) instructions for shrinking the Win98
>FAT32 partition. I rebooted, ran scandisk (as per instructions to adjust the
>free space) which told me that the last cluster on the drive was unreadable.
>With some misgivings I continued with scandisk and then split the free
>space, using Partition Manager again, into a Linux and a Linux Swap
>partition.
>
>So - all help and suggestions gratefully received, I would be grateful if
>you would copy me by email on any posts.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It seems as you changed the partition size in the partition table, but
not in the bootsector. This is a dangerous situation, since Windows 98
will take the partition size from the bootsector and not from the
partition table.
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: "J.T. Wenting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: well said...
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:07:27 +0200

------------------------------

From: "J.T. Wenting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,nf.comp.linux
Subject: DOS
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:07:43 +0200

------------------------------

From: sonit@hcthit
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 May 2000 03:43:14 -0700

>>wholly cow. another idiot.

>If this is how you act out in the real world I feel sorry for you.  Grow up.

Well, you were an idiot actually. Nothing wrong with calling an
idiot an idiot. Any one who claims a mailing list can act as a bug
tracking software must be a very stupied person.

btw, freebsd have a good bug tracking system, Linux can learn from
that. This is the URL

http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#gnats

Sonit

------------------------------

From: James Dahlgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG web page generator
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:07:46 -0400

Mark Wilden wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
> >
> > What draws money is what is 'proper'.
>
> That's right. Which is how I have to doubt the claim that most
> commercial sites are rubbish.
>
> > The only individual home pages I ever visit are those of hackers.  I
> > generally find them quite easy to read.
>
> Yes, hackers seem to have an innate sense of elegance in many cases, and
> don't try to use skills (like graphic design) which they don't possess.
>
> > There are very few books that are so badly designed as to make reading
> > difficult.  There are few web sites that are not so badly designed as to
> > make reading difficult.
>
> Well, let's remember that (printed) books have been around roughly 500
> years longer. I own a book published in 1548 (by Aldus, the inventor of
> italics) that is extremely difficult to read...even if I knew Latin. :)

AMAYA available from wc3.org isn't as slick as some of the others, but it
reinforces the
current w3c standards. I still end up using vi most of the time, but AMAYA is
interesting.

jim ( jim dahlgren )
.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Grosche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: tar problems - verify fails
Date: 28 May 2000 13:27:48 +0200

# Justin Catterall wrote in uk.comp.os.linux 2000-03-22:

> The problem is when tar starts the first thing it says is:
> "Removing leading / from absolute paths in the archive"
> If I add the -W (or --verify) option to the command it fails
> because the paths don't match, it is unable to verify "any" of the files

I've seen the exact same problem (and attributed it to the same reason) in
"various flavours" of tar, it even seems to exist in the age-old DOS port
and probably has been deep in the tar code from day 1 of its existence.
When I back out the files manually to a temporary directory and compare
them, it turns out they've always been archived correctly and the cause
for the error messages is really just the path name which is not matched.

> Can anyone suggest how I can persuade tar not to look for the leading '/'
> when verifying (the preferred solution)

In a very extensive search with DejaNews, I have not been able to find any
single answer that suggested how tar can do this. "-P" can't really be the
way to do it, since it is only suitable for backups to be restored in full.

Since questions which are most likely related to this problem as well pop up
every few days from users who are just complaining about "Does not exist"
errors, and as there are always dozens of people responding "but everything
works fine for me", I wonder whether anyone has found a way to avoid this
error, other than forcing tar to store the leading / by using the -P option.

I suppose there must be an easy solution, since I'd be most surprised if
almost everyone kept using tar for years despite such major inconveniences.

Thanks in advance for your replies (also by eMail to the address below)...

Greetinx

Andreas Grosche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Access a Windows NT printer share?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:38:33 GMT

Matthew Millers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to access a windows NT printer share through linux
> (RH6.2)?
>
> Regards
> Matthew Millers.

You'll need the samba client package to be installed. After that,
you can either mount the share (smbmount) or transfer files with
smbclient.

Mounting the share is similar to mounting any other device.
Create a mount point (ex. /mnt/nt-share): mkdir /mnt/nt-share
Then mount it: smbmount //server/share /mnt/nt-share

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 May 2000 11:56:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc sonit@hcthit wrote:
:>>wholly cow. another idiot.

:>If this is how you act out in the real world I feel sorry for you.  Grow up.

: Well, you were an idiot actually. Nothing wrong with calling an
: idiot an idiot. Any one who claims a mailing list can act as a bug
: tracking software must be a very stupied person.

Or a very clever one. As in the entire collective power of the
university professors, elite software coders, and other interested
hackers worldwide who make up the kernel developers.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Date: 28 May 2000 12:22:52 GMT

On Sun, 28 May 2000 08:44:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner) writes:
>
>> Reasonable?! Internal modem is next worst thing to winmodem.
>
>But on the plus side, they don't require the purchase of a separate
>serial card for high-speed communication.  And they don't take up more
>space, need a serial cable, or another power line.

They do need an additional slot; so I suppose it depends on whether
you have a free ISA slot or a free serial port and plug point.

>> Modem should be a separate box, attached to the com port with cable.
>> Most important thing in this setup are leds and its independent power
>> swithch. I don't know how it looks in the West, but here in Russia it is
>> qute possible that modem would hang on noisy line and only
>> power-cycling would revive it. How'd you power-cycle internal modem?
>
>Dunno.  It's never happened to me.  I can't imagine it's because our
>phone lines are better, because they're so bad that it's easier to
>replace them than fix them.  Maybe our modems are better-designed?
>
>Problem is, serial ports are almost as overused as parallel ports.  I
>can think of five devices off the top of my head - still being made,
>by the way - that require a serial port.  Hopefully these problems
>will be solved by USB, but I'm not holding my breath.

So are PCI/ISA slots.

>> Only thing that I don't like about external modem is that they require
>> something other than 5V DC or 12V DC. (typically 12V AC).  If they need
>> some voltage, which I could get from the main power supply of machine,
>> I'd be able to get rid of those power supply units.
>
>You mean the transformers?  Granted, they are annoying, but - over
>here, at least - there's no 5/12VDC power jack on the outside of our
>computers.  So we wouldn't have anyplace to plug the modem in.
>
>[drivers etc]
>
>> No, not at all. You need a bunch of driver diskettest to make _windows_
>> _think_ your modem works.
>> Using Dos terminal program like Telix or self-written Tcl script you
>> could make your modem working immediately without any  drivers.

If you have a serial modem, just tell Windows you have any old normal
modem and it'll be happy.

>Problem is, brilliant PnP devices will try to assign themselves
>unusual IRQs.  (Which would be a good idea if not for the fact that
>serial ports didn't work that way 'til PnP.)  And Amazing Windows
>will change *every single IRQ in your system* (sometimes) to
>accomodate a new device.

And I have such an IRQ shortage on my computer I had to tell Windows
to stop messing around, and worked them all out myself. I did it
better, I got all my devices working when Windows had one disabled.

Except that as Windows needs to be reinstalled every so often, I
haven't bothered to do it all again.

>[one should never "install" a modem]
>
>> Why? You don't consider unscrewing case, finding ISA slot, fiddling with
>> IRQ-s "installing"? It can turn into half an hour of downtime.
>
>Yep.  And PCI modems are stupid.  (Remind me why we need all that
>bus bandwidth for something that will never pass 56Kb/s?)

Well, yes (except that modems typically should have about 114Kb/s or
whatever, thanks to compression - note that is _bits_ per second)

>> External modems are ones whose installation doesn't interrupt system
>> operation. You bring in from shop, you connect it, you turn it on, and
>> other users of your machine do their work in the same time.
>
>I'll spare you a bad joke on interrupts.

Robie.
--
My ISP's news server was messed up recently; sorry if you haven't
heard a reply from me.

------------------------------

From: Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will Panasonic 8x4x32 IDE burner burn in linux?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:39:52 GMT

David Cougle wrote:
> Can someone please tell me if the Panasonic 8x4x32 IDE burner will burn in linux?

It will.
I assume it will be mmc-3.
You might read th CDwriting-Howto.

*************************           __   _
/      Marcel Pol       /          / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
/                       /         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /        /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
*************************
SuSE 6.3  Kernel 2.2.13
Don't visit http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/marcelpol

This sig is stolen.
But it was released under GNU, wasn't it?

------------------------------

From: Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I get modem driver for linux?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:50:29 GMT

"stunleyc@ultraline" wrote:
> I have problem in getting linux modem driver.
> Can you tell where to find linux driver .

If it is an external or ISA modem like 56K, it will be supported with
the serial driver, which will already be loaded for your mouse.
If it is a PCI-modem, it could be a software-modem, or so-called
win-modem.
Most of them are not yet supported.

I guess all you have to do is link /dev/modem to the right device.
It matters where your modem is connected:
Com1 = /dev/ttyS0
Com2 = /dev/ttyS1
Com3 = /dev/ttyS2
Com4 = /dev/ttyS3

You can make a link with:
ln  -s  /dev/ttySx  /dev/modem

> Besides , how to configure linux so as to allow me to connect to
> the internet.

For a 56K or similar modem, you might try wvdial or kppp.

> Moreover, I can't listen music in linux as I don't know where to
> find my sound card driver and how to configure the sound card.

If you use Redhat try sndconfig (or what is the name).

Otherwise you should read the manual of it, and see what chipset it
uses.
In the source directory of the kernel (on SuSE it is in /usr/src/linux),
you can read documentation in the ~/doc subdirectory or ~/sound
subdirectory, which module is needed for that chipset.
You then can adapt /etc/modules.conf by removing the # sign in front of
the line:  alias sound your-module.
That should be fine.