Linux-Misc Digest #623, Volume #26               Sun, 24 Dec 00 13:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: My /home partition died... ("Martin")
  Re: Using qmail to deliver local generated system messages (Frank Shute)
  HELP! - Problems booting KDE ("Jamie")
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Where to look for log file printing problems ? ("Emmanuel Beranger")
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (jafu)
  Re: Missing libc6.1-1.so.2 (Pat Traynor)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GNOME freeze on RH7.0 ("Bagpuss")
  help-newbie-Storm Linux (Charles Young)
  Re: Burnt CD Quality? (Glitch)
  Re: Old Dell Laptop (Dave Brown)
  33.6 Zoltrix Modem (Majid Khan)
  Re: Xwrapper on Xfree4.0.2 (John Hanson)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (D'Arque Bishop)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Pineapple)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Pineapple)
  Re: Unable to ping ("Chakravarthy K Sannedhi")
  Re: Unable to ping (Silviu Minut)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (D'Arque Bishop)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (John Hasler)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Rod Smith)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Rod Smith)

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My /home partition died...
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:56:15 +0100

Hallo,

I don´t know why you´ve got this problem but maybe this helps you getting
back your data.
I´ve also had a loss of data on a fat filesystem. But luckily I was able to
get all of my important data back! But I can assure you it was lots of work.
First I saved the whole partition in one file with something like "dd
if=/dev/hda7 of=~/copy.dat ..." (-> "man dd"). Then I took a hexeditor (KDE
has a good one) and searched for my data ... . I must admit I had stored all
my data in zip-Files, therefore I just had to look for zip-headers and
copied these parts (the former zip-files) into new files.
If you have data that is still on /dev/hda7 and can easily be found (best
case: small partition, lots of text/zip files, data not overwritten) this
may work.
No warranty for anything. I´ve actually never tried this with an
ext2-partition. Perhaps you should also better read the HOWTO that deals
with data recovery on an ext2-fs -- yes, there is one!

Good luck,
    Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Shute)
Subject: Re: Using qmail to deliver local generated system messages
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:06:32 +0000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:43:43 GMT, Janus Loo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am using SuSE 7 with kernel 2.2.16. I have an internal network
>connecting two Win pc's using samba. I use qmail as my e-mail
>server/gateway, fetchmail to get mails from my isp, courier imap and
>pop3 server for e-mail clients. What I would like to do is also to be
>able to read the system e-mails, which were generated every night by
>the backup software, security checks etc, using qmail. Guess I would
>like the following to happen when a system e-mail is generated:
>
>- an e-mail is generated in, let's say: the backup software
>- this must be sent to the smtp port of qmail-smtp (or something
>else?)
>- then get written to my (root) maildir
>- using imap/pop3 to get my mails
>
>What my linux machine is doing now is sending e-mails to the mbox file
>and warn me of new mails via standard output. Do u think I can do
>that? Thanks!

You want to have a look at:

$ man dot-qmail

What I do is stick:

&frank@mydomain

in /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root

which then forwards any mail for root on to my local account (which
uses a Maildir) which I can then pick up via POP3

--

 Frank

------------------------------

From: "Jamie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! - Problems booting KDE
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:38:28 -0000

After installing Caitoo (well, that was the last thing I did before KDE
died), I am being presented with the following message when KDE gets to
'starting interprocess communications'

There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list. Please check that dcopserver program
is running!

1. What does this mean
2. How have I managed to screw up KDE?
3. How can I fix it?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. If it's any help, I can get all the other window managers to run, it
appears that it's just KDE that I've stuffed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DVD software for Linux yet?
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:15:26 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Wondering about the reason why Linux users won't pay for watching DVD
>>movies is not the question. The REAL question is why anybody MUST pay to
>>watch DVD movies. NOBODY SHOULD have to pay for watching DVD's contents,
>>or you aren't you already paying for the content (movie) itself ?

> You can't watch your laserdiscs or vhs-tapes for free. You also pay for
> your cd-player, md-player and even for your c-casette deck. Where is it
> defined that dvd sould be free ?

But I'm also paying for the DVD drive...  Why should I have to pay twice?

------------------------------

From: "Emmanuel Beranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where to look for log file printing problems ?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 15:24:58 +0100

I have a printing problem, that I can't get to solve :
I set my printer with printtool, under mandrake 7.02, with 2.2.17 kernel.
with the printtool, I can get ASCII , but not ps test page get printed,
while I can get the page via direct port (lp0)
I can see the ASCII file in the queue, but never the ps  ....
my printer is an EPSON 800, which should work.

My printcap file uses the redhat filter, which is the part I suspect not
working, (hence the fact I don't see the ps file ...). But how can I trace
things ?

(btw, I have read many FAQs and Howtos ... Have I missed sth ?)

thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: jafu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 09:26:35 -0500

In article <2yn16.4693$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> In comp.os.linux.misc Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Wondering about the reason why Linux users won't pay for watching DVD
> >>movies is not the question. The REAL question is why anybody MUST pay to
> >>watch DVD movies. NOBODY SHOULD have to pay for watching DVD's contents,
> >>or you aren't you already paying for the content (movie) itself ?
>
> > You can't watch your laserdiscs or vhs-tapes for free. You also pay for
> > your cd-player, md-player and even for your c-casette deck. Where is it
> > defined that dvd sould be free ?
>
> But I'm also paying for the DVD drive...  Why should I have to pay twice?

maybe you should have shopped around and bought a DVD drive that came
bundled with software.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pat Traynor)
Subject: Re: Missing libc6.1-1.so.2
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:30:39 GMT

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:11:24 +0100, Markus Kossmann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Pat Traynor wrote:
>>
>[...]
>> libc-2.0.7.so
>[...]
>So you have a glibc-2.0 based system.
>But the software expects a libstdc++ build for libc-6.1 aka glibc-2.1 .
>Updating a system from glibc-2.0 to glibc-2.1 is a _major_ update an you
>shouldn't do it unless you are knowing exactly what you are doing.

Markus,

Thanks for the information - that's exactly what I needed to know.  If
it was a simple matter of "download this file and link it to...", I'd
do it.  But this isn't worth a major upgrade.  Maybe someday, but not
just for this.

--pat--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:34:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc jafu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <2yn16.4693$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>> > You can't watch your laserdiscs or vhs-tapes for free. You also pay for
>> > your cd-player, md-player and even for your c-casette deck. Where is it
>> > defined that dvd sould be free ?
>>
>> But I'm also paying for the DVD drive...  Why should I have to pay twice?

> maybe you should have shopped around and bought a DVD drive that came
> bundled with software.

I did...  But it didn't come with bundled software for the OS I use...  Under
windows, buying the drive is essentially the same as buying the right to play
DVDs.  Why isn't it the same for other operating systems?

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Bagpuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: GNOME freeze on RH7.0
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:58:41 -0000

"Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:bqJ%5.13746$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,

<snip>

Umm, dunno what could have caused the freeze. But if it happens again,
ctrl+alt+backspace is the command to kill the X server. It usually works for
me but sometime it doesn't. Even then, you can use ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to
another local terminal (or F3, F4 etc)

HTH

--
Bagpuss
Your friendly cloth cat

------------------------------

From: Charles Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help-newbie-Storm Linux
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:20:40 -0600

I recently installed Storm Linux (on a separate hard disk).  I edited
the file /etc/fstab as instructed by the Users Guide.
Somehow I screwed up.  Now I can get in only in the command line
and anything I try to do with the /etc/fstab file is rejected.
(edit, replace from backup, etc).  Is there any way I can recover
short of reinstalling the system?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 10:28:51 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burnt CD Quality?

David wrote:

> John Scudder wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering about whether this is a software or hardware problem.
> > When I burn an audio CD it plays fine on my computer and plays fine on
> > my good $200 CD Player Deck.  When I try to play these homebrew CDs on a
> > cheaper  boombox, the CD either plays the first few songs and quits or
> > refuses to play at all.  Is it possible that my SCSI CDR burner is not
> > burning properly so that these less expensive CD Players have trouble
> > reading the tracks?  Or is it the brand CDR that I am using?  Could it
> > be the CD Burner software (X-CD-Roast 9.8.7)?

how old is the lesss expensive player u are trying to use?  If its old
enough(maybe 4+ years) the laser wasn't made to use the frequency that
CDRs need to be read at therefore older cd players (older lasers) can't
read the discs.  It's even worse for CDRWs as they reflect even less
light than CDRs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Old Dell Laptop
Date: 24 Dec 2000 09:49:52 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James Campbell Andrew wrote:
>I've recently been given an old Dell Latitude XPi laptop (Neomagic
>graphics set), on which I've stuck Debian 2.2 - no problems there.
>
>The main problem I'm having is one of dis-belief over the Video Ram - it
>claims to have only 896k. Is this right? It seems a strange amount to
>have.

I had one of those myself.  Indeed it did have 896k of video memory.  When
I used it, I also had an early version of Xig's AcceleratedX server, which
I believe could get 16-bit color at 640x480, but only 8-bit color at
800x600.  As I recall, I had more difficulty getting XFree86 to get as
much out of it as Xig did.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Majid Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 33.6 Zoltrix Modem
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:30:12 -0000

I have 33.6 Zoltrix Fax Modem. Recently I have installed Red Hat linux 6.2
Everything is configured but my fax modem and bulit in sound card is not
configured.How can i do this plz describe in detail becoz i do not got
much knowledge about linux O.S.

From: John Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwrapper on Xfree4.0.2
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:33:39 GMT

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:22:26 GMT, "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>>AFAIK, Xwrapper just runs the X server and nothing else.  It points to the
>>X server you are running (although now with 4.0x there is only one).  You
>>still need to use startx to run whatever you have in xinitrc.

If I run startx as a non-root user, X complains and tells me to use
Xwrapper.  This is the output I get:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

If I run Xwrapper, the X server starts but there is nothing on the
screen.  It seems X cant find a config file or something.  Also, if I
try gdm, xdm or kdm, I get a message that says only root wants to run
gdm, xdm or kdm.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D'Arque Bishop)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:37:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pineapple wrote:

>You can't watch your laserdiscs or vhs-tapes for free. You also pay for
>your cd-player, md-player and even for your c-casette deck. Where is it
>defined that dvd sould be free ? Paying for dvd-content does give you a
>right to own it and the media it's on - it doesn't include the license for
>a playing software.

I've got news for you: we CAN listen to CD's for free.  There are a LOT of
free programs out there that will play audio CD's, such as Windows Media
Player, xmcd, gtcd, among others.  All you need is the hardware.  In that
regard, it's no different from playing DVD's on free software.  We have the
hardware... we just need the software.

>Also DVD-rom drive may include a software license for windows-software but
>that doesn't include a right to use similliar software on another platform
>or OS. DVD-decoding is a licenseable technique and isn't free.

Two words: reverse engineering.  The program which made the playback of
DVD's on free software possible, DeCSS, was created via reverse engineering,
and like it or not, reverse engineering is legal and has been held up in
court.  A perfect example is the Connectix Virtual Game Station, which is
an emulator for PC and Mac which allows you to play Playstation games on
your PC.  Connectix created it by reverse-engineering a Playstation BIOS.
Sony sued Connectix.  Sony lost in circuit court and in appeals.  Hell,
PC's became so popular because other computer companies were able to reverse
engineer the IBM PC BIOS. :p

(And don't start on me about the ruling in NY concerning 2600 magazine and
the DeCSS source code; I fully believe that the judge's decision in that case
will be thrown out thanks to his refusing to recuse himself when it was
shown he had a conflict of interest, not to mention his borderline-slanderous
statements about the hacking/Linux community in general within his decision.)

Just my $.02...

        "Do you see the smile in my words, sad and evil?  Sad because
        I am utterly alone.  Evil because I am dead and yet I live.
        Can you hear me?  Listen.  A dead man visits you."
                                       --James O'Barr, The Crow

                 D'Arque Bishop -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

        "For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the
        darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him."
                                   -- from Noctropolis: Night Vision

From: Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: 24 Dec 2000 17:15:26 GMT

>I've got news for you: we CAN listen to CD's for free.  There are a LOT of
>free programs out there that will play audio CD's, such as Windows Media
>Player, xmcd, gtcd, among others.  All you need is the hardware.  In that
>regard, it's no different from playing DVD's on free software.  We have
the
>hardware... we just need the software.

CD doesn't require all that much of software to play. All cd-player-
software really does is make a simple call for a drive to start the
playback. Some drives can even play cds without attaching the IDE-cable.
DVD-playback is much more complicated.

>Two words: reverse engineering.  The program which made the playback of
>DVD's on free software possible, DeCSS, was created via reverse
engineering,
>and like it or not, reverse engineering is legal and has been held up in
>court.  A perfect example is the Connectix Virtual Game Station, which is
>an emulator for PC and Mac which allows you to play Playstation games on
>your PC.  Connectix created it by reverse-engineering a Playstation BIOS.
>Sony sued Connectix.  Sony lost in circuit court and in appeals.  Hell,
>PC's became so popular because other computer companies were able to
reverse engineer the IBM PC BIOS. :p

Actually PC-technology is open and there is no need for reverse
engineering.

..But its really great that intellectual property is free to steal and rip.
This really eases my mind, being a programmer and making my living doing
it. It's so nice to know that anyone can reverse-engineer my product and
rip it and use it for free. I'm sure there will be hundreds of programmers
and companies which will develop and distribute free (and therefor
unprofitable) software..

------------------------------

From: Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: 24 Dec 2000 17:19:07 GMT

>But I'm also paying for the DVD drive...  Why should I have to pay twice?

Maybe because the manufacturer of the drive isn't responsible for your
choise of OS or compatibility of the drive you bought. If i own a c64 and
buy a ide-dvd-drive, this doesn't give me a right to steal a computer where
it works.

------------------------------

From: "Chakravarthy K Sannedhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to ping
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 11:33:06 -0600

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> I do not understand your English, or maybe it is your typing, here. What
> are you trying "to ping with it' IP"?

I am sorry about that typo,  what i am trying to convey is, i am unable to
ping the machine with it's own IP(pinging itself)  and there is a 97% packet
loss.

Thanks
Chakravarthy K Sannedhi

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:37:18 -0500

ifconfig -a will show all interfaces that the system knows about, whether or
not they are UP. If an interface is down, no wonder it won't work. You need to
run ifconfig with no arguments and post the output. Also, even though you say
there's nothing wrong with the routing table, chances are there is, so post
that too.

For starters, eth0 must be given the address that your ISP assigned to you
(e.g. 24.183.xx.yy from att@home), and eth1 must be given a non-routable
address, e.g. 192.168.0.1.

Do this:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1

then see if you can ping it:

ping 192.168.0.1

I bet it'll work. The same if you do

ifconfig eth0 24.183.xx.yy                  (change with the correct address)
ping 24.183.xx.yy

Then you need to worry about the local and external networks and the routing
table. Again, post the ouput of ifconfig and route -n if you expect any help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D'Arque Bishop)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 17:33:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pineapple wrote:
>>Hell, PC's became so popular because other computer companies were able to
>reverse engineer the IBM PC BIOS. :p
>
>Actually PC-technology is open and there is no need for reverse
>engineering.

It is *NOW*.  It wasn't fifteen to twenty years ago, when IBM guarded their
secrets jealously and companies like Compaq had to use teams of engineers
to reverse-engineer the BIOS.  Once it WAS reverse-engineered, that was all
she wrote. :p

>..But its really great that intellectual property is free to steal and rip.
>This really eases my mind, being a programmer and making my living doing
>it. It's so nice to know that anyone can reverse-engineer my product and
>rip it and use it for free. I'm sure there will be hundreds of programmers
>and companies which will develop and distribute free (and therefor
>unprofitable) software..

Again, it's called "fair use".  Once we have a piece of media or technology
in our possession that's legally bought and paid for, then we're free to do
with it what we want.  (Provided, of course, the license agreement doesn't
say otherwise.  Then again, I've never seen a DVD movie or DVD hardware that
came with a license agreement.)  If you don't want people legally reverse-
engineering your programs, then include a no-reverse-engineering clause in
your software license agreement. :p

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:38:11 GMT

Pineapple writes:
> I didn't question the right to use free software altogether, just with
> dvd- playing. Companies which sell these softwares have to pay for the
> license to use it, hence so have the home-users. I can't see how this
> excludes linux-users somehow.

Linux users don't use the software those companies wrote.  They can't: the
companies don't sell Linux versions.  Linux DVD software was written by
people who choose to make their software freely available.  Similar free
software may be available for Windows as well.  If it isn't, you could
write it.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:40:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> I always wondered what gives a linux user a right not to pay for dvd-
>>> player, even through everyone else is paying for them ?
>>
>>Everyone has the right to use free software, Linux user or not.
>
> I didn't question the right to use free software altogether, just with dvd-
> playing. Companies which sell these softwares have to pay for the license
> to use it, hence so have the home-users. I can't see how this excludes
> linux-users somehow.

The license fee is derived from a trade secret, not a copyright or
patent. DeCSS reverse engineered the trade secret, which is legal and
requires no payment to the originator in at least many (most?) areas,
hence the claim for moral and legal right to do this. Of course, the
movie industry has other thoughts on the matter, but their public claims
focus on piracy, which DeCSS also enables because it's open source. In
terms of the question of paying for the software, though, your question
is equivalent to asking why anybody should be able to read MS Word files
without buying MS Word. After all, Microsoft doesn't document the MS
Word format (at least not well), which is pretty equivalent to the DVD
situation.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:46:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>Wondering about the reason why Linux users won't pay for watching DVD
>>movies is not the question. The REAL question is why anybody MUST pay to
>>watch DVD movies. NOBODY SHOULD have to pay for watching DVD's contents,
>>or you aren't you already paying for the content (movie) itself ?
>
> You can't watch your laserdiscs or vhs-tapes for free. You also pay for
> your cd-player, md-player and even for your c-casette deck.

AFAIK, those are all hardware issues. If a Linux user has appropriate
hardware, there are plenty of free audio CD players, for instance.

> Where is it
> defined that dvd sould be free ? Paying for dvd-content does give you a
> right to own it and the media it's on - it doesn't include the license for
> a playing software.

True, but there's no license fee for the free stuff. The legal battles
surrounding it DO NOT address the issue of license fees, AFAIK. IANAL,
but to the best of my knowledge the owners of that code wouldn't have
much grounds for a legal claim on that basis because the algorithms were
developed as a trade secret; they weren't patented, and DeCSS doesn't
use any copyrighted code (or at least no claims of such have been made).
That pretty much leaves the decoder developers in the cold if somebody
reverse-engineers the code. At least, that's my non-lawyer understanding
of the matter.