  IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus) (biv)

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:47 GMT

wizard wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:

> > >They also had money! They were't *too* concerned between $4000 &
> > >$10,000...
> > >I agree..if you have the money, go for the Alpha... (the 21264 & 21364
> > >Alphas look pretty impressive...;-)
> >
> > It's not so much that they were price-insensitive; it's also that they
> > were *space*-sensitive.
> >
> > Adding a couple of extra boxes to make up for IA-32 CPUs not being as
> > fast may not be a big deal when the task is small.  Fitting an extra
> > system in my apartment might be moderately annoying, but wouldn't cost
> > much.
> >
> > But when you start building a big "rendering farm," additional costs
> > start needing to be considered:
> > - The cost of the "real estate" required to house the boxes,
> > - The cost of getting those boxes dropped into place, plugged in, and
> >   running.
>
> Funny thing is there are many vendors offering preassembled Alpha farms.    Just
> drop the rack in place supply power and off you go.    This is not the case with
> Intel systems, at least I have not seen many advertised.     The market for
> performance machines is at time very sensitive to pricing considerations, since
> many"farms" are Alpha powered there must be a good reason.   The only reason one
> could reasonable suggest is performance per dollar.     Granted there may be
> application were an Intel system will accel but the market doesn't seem to
> support that theory.

I think *performace* is the key to the "farms" as opposed to
"price/performace ratio"... when you're looking at large clusters &
farms, you want each individual processing node to have good
performance... As I mentioned in a previous post, low-end Alphas are
competing agains high-end Intel...if you want individual node
performance *better* than the low-end Alpha, then forget about Intel...
particularly when your dual cpu 21264 systems have a SpecFP95 value
pushing a factor of 10 greater than the top dual cpu Intel system...

John

--
John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:47:39 GMT

Michael Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7cjeo2$6eo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Are there any drivers to do large (1MB) tape read and write? The limit
> in 2.0.xx was ~64k, but if we can't do at least 1MB, we're stuck with
> Solaris.

        Why not modify the original or write your own;  that is, after all, one of
the most important things about Open Source, n'est pas?

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brett W. McCoy)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:49:08 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500, Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure to
>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a * (or
>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!

The /proc filesystem is a virtual filesystem and is created dynamically by
the loaded kernel.  /dev is a different story.  You may be better off
backing up your important stuff (i.e., /home & /usr directories),
reinstalling directly onto the new hard drive, and then restoring your
backed up stuff.

But is there any reason you can't keep your boot partition on the current
drive and just create new (and bigger) partitions on the new one?

--
Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/

Buy the negatives at any price.

------------------------------

From: "Kike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:23 GMT

Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:%FdH2.60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure to
>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a *
(or
>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!
>
>--
>
>Greg Waugh ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>Manager of Systems Operations
>Productivity OnLine

I would use Ghost for this kind of job. This program will clone the old HD
into the new one in about 5 minutes. It even resizes automatically the
partitions in the case the new HD is bigger than the old one. A real jewel!

--
___________________
Henry Ficher

From: Duane Elmer Smeckert <"elmer at"@ ptw dot. com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: setting linux up to use different IRQ for my modem?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:47:35 GMT

But in a nutshell, assuming that your modem is on
IRQ5 (don't try IRQ2) you can change the
IRQ using 'setserial' (Read the fantasic man page)

After you get it figured out the correct command line
and are sure you are running under minicom,
you can add the change to the rc.serial init script.

------------------------------

From: David Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:17 GMT

Greg Waugh wrote:

> Well, there are several reasons I want to move it.  First of all, it works
> perfectly, second of all, the drive that it's currently on is slow and very
> old and I don't really trust it anymore.  That and I don't really have room
> in the case for it with these new drives.  I suppose I could do it that way,
> but like I said, it's a server so I don't really want it down that long... I
> was hoping I could prepare the second disk, reboot and have it ready to go
> in a few minutes...
>
> Wait a second... crazy idea...  has anyone ever moved a Linux installation
> using Patition Magic 4.0 for Windows?  I know it sounds crazy, but I've used
> it very successfully to move NT before and it claims to do Linux...  that's
> just another thought too...
>
> Brett W. McCoy wrote in message ...
> >On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:04:28 -0500, Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2
> Linux
> >>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
> >>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure
> >>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a *
> (or
> >>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
> >>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
> >>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
> >>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!
> >
> >The /proc filesystem is a virtual filesystem and is created dynamically by
> >the loaded kernel.  /dev is a different story.  You may be better off
> >backing up your important stuff (i.e., /home & /usr directories),
> >reinstalling directly onto the new hard drive, and then restoring your
> >backed up stuff.
> >
> >But is there any reason you can't keep your boot partition on the current
> >drive and just create new (and bigger) partitions on the new one?

When I need to move crap between drives I find the tar command to be quite
usefull:

Assuming you have your new drive mounted as /mnt/newdrive, and also assuming
you have this on one large partition (I usually would seperate out /home and
/usr, but it's up to you):

Go through every directory in / excluding /proc and /mnt and do the following:
[root@hostname /]# tar -c dirname/ | tar -xC /mnt/newdrive/

That should tar up the whole directory and pipe it out to another tar that will
be untarring what is coming through the pipe after changing the current
directory to /mnt/newdrive so that it all shows up in the right directory.
Make sure you don't do it for the /mnt directory (duh.. recursion).  and just
mkdir /mnt/newdrive/proc but don't put anything in it.

This should work for copying the crap in /dev also (since a distro usually has
a .tar.gz of the proper /dev dir anyway).

You will also need to properly install lilo on the machine (I strongly
recommend creating a bootdisk with the proper kernel and initrd on it while you
still have your old hd up and running, then reboot with the disk giving it the
root=/dev/sdxN.  If all goes well, reconfigure lilo, run it, and you should be
in business.

Dave.

P.S.  YMMV, but the tar thing is a trick I like much better than using cp.

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:50:37 GMT

Actually...

Thats all I ever do. I use MC (midnight commander), and tag and copy files
and dir's over to floppies, by dir and only the ones I really need that I've
changed or added. I also make sure there is at least 2 hard drives in the
box. Then I mount that drive, formatted as ext2 of course, and just drag
copies of all homes and other important stuff that isn't backed up, and that
wont fit on floppies over there and have them available to restore
afterwards.

Another would be to use one of those parallel port Zip drives and fdisk and
format a few carts for it and do the backups to it. Since owning one of
these, they come in handy and you can make genuine ext2 zip cartriges out of
the regulars and they are reliable and nice to have on hand. If you need
help, holler and I'll pass on the proceedure to install the driver, make
them, mount and unmount them. I do it all the time and it's rather embedded
in my cranial.

Only copy the system stuff you need such as a few of the files in the /etc
folder and /usr. Even the /dev dir is recreated with standard stuff when you
install new.  The rest of it is also recreated when you install new system.
If you are doing things right, any changes you made to kernal and other
stuff such as terminfo, etc., you kept a log of this so you can mimik it on
the new one right??!!! When done, just use mc, and drag em' back on there
and restart.

Jeff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:48 GMT

In article <bDdH2.2455$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
A.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
>annoying hiss comming from the speakers.
>
>The card doesn't produce *any* hissing under NT.

My RH5.2 setup has a command-line mixer control command that is just perfect
for initializing the sound at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local (the very last
thing that is run before the login prompt comes up.)  Actually I put a "play"
command in there too so the machine can make a nice hi-fi startup noise just
like UnmentionableOS.

In my machine, the cable from the CD-ROM to the sound card picks up noise,
although not terribly loud.  I also keep the microphone input muted when
not in use.

Markus

------------------------------

From: Lance Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250 drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:53:56 GMT

Hi Subbarao,

It looks like the driver you ran is ok but you need to make a partition on the
zip disk and then format it. This will then give you an sda1 and you then
should be able to mount it. I was doing the same thing you were doing untill I
read about having to partition and format the disk first. Type /sbin/fdisk
/dev/sda to partition the disk and then mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1 to format it
using the native linux file system.

Hope this helps. Also if you could tell me where you got the driver from I
would appreciate it. I lost track of where I got the imm driver from.

Regards,

Lance

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:52:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> 2 GB RAM is a satisfactory virtual address space for a single process
>> for most purposes, but 1 or 2 GB RAM is not a satisfactory upper limit
>> on RAM today.
>
>but these are not `most purposes'.  the big ram user will almost
>certainly need a shitload of ram for *one* process.

    Not likely, in my experience.

    But do continue with your misconceptions.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Sheesh.
                   \/

------------------------------

From: Glenn Butcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux server and multipile POP3 accounts
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:45:27 -0700

popd was pre-configured to run through inetd on my Slackware system.
Didn't do a thing, and I could pop from anywhere in the house.

Now, forwarding mail to-from an ISP is another matter.  Here's how I did
it:

1. Got an ISP mail account for each family member. My ISP at first
charged $5 per month for four extra, later they did away with the charge
altogether.

2. Used fetchmail to get the mail from each ISP account and forward it
to a local Linux account.  I put the fetchmail command in /etc/ppp/ip-up
so mail would be fetched every time the ppp link was brought up.

3. Configured sendmail.cf to queue "expensive" mail, mail that was going
to the Internet.  Local mail was delivered straight to the user account.

4. Put a "sendmail -q" line in /etc/ppp/ip-up.  This flushed the
"expensive" queue whenever a ppp link was established.

5. Set up a cron job to connect to the Internet every half hour, which
caused mail to be fetched and forwarded.

That was it - worked like a charm.  Later, I configured the ppp link to
be controlled by diald for demand dialing when outbound internet traffic
was forwarded.  Then, I did away with the cron job and used diald's
restrict keyword to bring the link up at half hour intervals.  Works
like an even cooler charm...now my family has faster, more reliable
e-mail service than I have at work.  Go, Linux.

Glenn Butcher

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:28:54 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X - IRC client ?

Rob wrote:

> looking for a good x irc client, also looking for a simple proxy server
>
> any suggestions ?
tkirc

------------------------------

From: Jon Gunnar Rue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backing up /proc ?
Date: 18 Mar 1999 21:34:14 +0100

/ [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| What is the proper way to handle the proc directory on a full system backup.
| Should I include just the directory without its contents, or skip it all-
| together? ....

I don't think it is any good idea to back up /proc. It is a
virtual filsystem. From the man page:

NAME
 proc - process information pseudo-filesystem

DESCRIPTION
/proc is a pseudo-filesystem which is used as an interface to kernel
data structures rather than reading and interpreting /dev/kmem.
Most of it is read-only, but some files allow kernel variables to be
changed.

------------------------------

From: Benjamin HERZOG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing LILO
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:39:20 +0100

Hello ,
Well, i run Red Hat 5.1 (Kernel 2.0.34).
Linux is installed on my second hd (hdb).  The boot driver, hda, is
under Windows95.
So, when i boot, i get Win95 starting. Even if i configured
/etc/lilo.conf to boot on hda (see my lilo.conf file in the end).

How do i configure LILO, and the MBR that is "governed" now by Win95, to
get the LILO prompt instead of "Win95 starting ..." ?

Here is my lilo.conf file (i type it from memory, so there could be
missing something, but the main file is here)

boot = /dev/hda
compact
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/map
default = linux

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-1
 label = linux
 root = /dev/hdb1
 vga = normal

other = /dev/hda1
 label = msdos
 table = /dev/hda

Thank you.

Benjamin HERZOG

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:30:39 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Framebuffer XFree server

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my new Linux box is finally running decently (I've got my news
> transport up, too, as you can see), but I still haven't got X because
> the chip set of my Hercules Terminator 128 GLH graphics board is
> unsupported.
>
> There is development going on on an XFree86 server for my board, but
> so far I haven't found an alpha server anywhere - I'd be glad if I
> could test it! :) Anyway, I suppose the card supports VESA 2.0, and
> thus I tried to get the framebuffer server running. I configured my
> XF86Config all right, I created a framebuffer device (kernel 2.2.3),
> but when I start X, all I get is an "Operation not supported by
> device" error.
>
> Somewhere I read you need the fbset utility to make your framebuffer
> device work. Is this true? Is this the problem? And where can I get
> that utility (no, it isn't on uni-erlangen as documented - AFAICS)?

You also need to compile support for the fb in the kernel.  Simply
creating the device node does nothing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas (Aalim Zakee) Fevens)
Subject: Accidently deleted ld library archive file....
Date: 19 Mar 1999 05:45:34 GMT

Hmmm, I need some help here... I just accidently deleted the
ld library archive file in /lib (if I remember correctly).
Result being that none of my system commands would work (couldn't
cp, rm, ls, etc.). I can't get LILO to boot the system either.
IS there any way I can put another copy of this library file
back without re-installing Linux?

Specs. I have RH 4.1 Linux installed off of a CD. Since I
couldn't get RPM working to my liking, I've upgraded a lot
of the packages without using it. I'd rather not loose
my system set-up if I can avoid it... Also, I have MS Win 95
on the primary HD, and Linux on a secondary HD.

Hope this is enough info... Thanks in advance...

Thomas Fevens.

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:46:39 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Ummm...not quite... bottom end single processor Alpha servers are about
> > the same price as top end Intel dual processor servers - single 533Mhz
> > 21164 w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500, dual 500Mhz Pentium III
> > w/ 256MB ram & 9gb disk runs about $4500... Alpha servers go up in
> > performance & price from there, Intel Servers go down in performance and
> > price from there...
>
> there *are* quad intel boxen.  they also generally cost more than
> $4500.  still, i'd rather have a fast alpha.

I know that there are quad Intel boxes, just as I know there are lower
priced Alpha systems.. the ones I originally mentioned were somewhat
equivalent in a server environment (without getting into the details of
the MB architecture) in that they had the same amount of memory (256MB),
the same amount of disk space (9.1GB) and the same type of disk
subsystem (U2W SCSI)... one *primary difference is that its a *single*
Alpha vs. a *dual* Intel at approximately the same clock speed (533Mhz
for Alpha, vs 500Mhz for Intel). Some app mixes would do better on the
dual Intel setup, other mixes would do better on the single Alpha
system...

John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (k.-h.herrmann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: cpu has "F0 0F" bug?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:58:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> Under what conditions is this bug triggered?  Wouldn't have already been
> triggered if Microsoft hadn't have implemented a fix?  Or is it one of
> those "sparratic" things that happens?

I don't know the complete command (it's four bytes long, the first two
are f0 0f).  Point is: The instruction is illegal and doesn't make any
sense.

But: Anybody who knows this could write a mini program with these four
bytes in a data word and then jump there -> Prozessor ist standing and
waiting for reboot.

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: biv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 07:57:22 GMT

I welcome All!

I, have IDE Cache Controller TEKRAM DC-680T (VL-Bus), but I can not find the
driver under Linux.
On www.tekram.com, I anything under Linux have not found, is only under SCO
Unix, Novel Netware, Windows 95/NT.
Maintenance of function of caching under DOS, in this controller, are written
down in BIOS, but I think, that in Linux, without the driver, function of
caching will not work.
Help me to connect this controller under Linux.

The answers, I ask to send on mine Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beforehand is grateful for the help.