From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Implementation of RFC 1149: IP over avian carriers.
Date: 2 Apr 2001 00:26:33 GMT

Vegard Engen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> 11 years ago, april 1st 1990, an important RFC was written, RFC 1149: IP over
> avian carriers. To this day, as far as we know, no person has implemented this
> RFC, yet it has been mentioned in numerous classes and networking courses. That
> time has come to an end, and RFC 1149 will finally get its first
> implementation, brought to you by Bergen Linux User Group and Vesta
> Pigeon Racing Club.
>
> The CPIP WG was founded march 6th 2001, as a joint project between the two
> mentioned groups. Since then, members of both clubs have been busy
> with planning, experimentation and implementation. We're now so far into the
> project that we feel confident that the technology is ready, and the
> implementation will be finished in time.
>
> The tentative date for the demonstration of the first implementation and the
> transportation of the first packets over live pigeons is set to april 28th.
> The place will be somewhere in Bergen, but due to risk of interference in the
> transmission, the actual sites will not be announced, at least not yet.
>
> The WGs project web page is http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/ - and on this
> page, we'll put up minutes, plans, implementation details and in due time, a
> report from the project.
>
> Vegard Engen
> Representant for the CPIP WG

Sorry, but you're not the first. Microsoft [damn them] has preceded you
with a scheme using vultures - seems they have an endless supply of these
Accipitridae. A commercial product never materialized since the birds
don't fit the shrink-wrap distribution model.
--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 2 Apr 2001 00:47:04 GMT

 Vegard Engen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> 11 years ago, april 1st 1990, an important RFC was written, RFC 1149: IP over
> avian carriers. To this day, as far as we know, no person has implemented this
> RFC, yet it has been mentioned in numerous classes and networking courses. That
> time has come to an end, and RFC 1149 will finally get its first
> implementation, brought to you by Bergen Linux User Group and Vesta
> Pigeon Racing Club.
>
> The CPIP WG was founded march 6th 2001, as a joint project between the two
> mentioned groups. Since then, members of both clubs have been busy
> with planning, experimentation and implementation. We're now so far into the
> project that we feel confident that the technology is ready, and the
> implementation will be finished in time.
>
> The tentative date for the demonstration of the first implementation and the
> transportation of the first packets over live pigeons is set to april 28th.
> The place will be somewhere in Bergen, but due to risk of interference in the
> transmission, the actual sites will not be announced, at least not yet.
>
> The WGs project web page is http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/ - and on this
> page, we'll put up minutes, plans, implementation details and in due time, a
> report from the project.
>
> Vegard Engen
> Representant for the CPIP WG

Sorry, but you're not the first. Microsoft [damn them] has preceded you
with a scheme using vultures - seems they have an endless supply of these
Accipitridae. A commercial product never materialized since the birds
don't fit the shrink-wrap distribution model.

Anyone wishing to rework or expand this text is welcome to do so.

From: Dranthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing initab file.......enter runlevel?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:04:17 GMT

Nothing is working so I will just reinstall.  When I gave the shutdown command
under Init-2.04 # prompt it gavc the error message: You don't exist.  Go
Away.  The utility e2fsck isn't working.  Well I guess I am just going to
reinstall.  No biggie though, didn't have too many personaliztions yet on this
install.

------------------------------

From: Gu Weining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to read/write kernel addr, say c0101000?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:15:07 -0500

In my driver, I try to read/write some kernel address.
But I always got Segmentation fault. Sounds like my
access method is wrong. I copied my char driver code
running with Linux v2.2.1x as follows:

  int address, value;
  address = 0xc0101000;
  address = address - PAGE_OFFSET;
  /* even I set either PAGE_OFFSET=0 or
                       PAGE_OFFSET=c0000000, still wrong */

  value = (*(int *)address);
  value++;                         /* access this address */
****** Segmentation fault ******

Would you please give me some hint? Thank you so much.

Weining Gu

------------------------------

From: Jacob Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux hangs....very strange
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:30:29 +0200

Bart Friederichs wrote:
>Check your /proc/interrupts to see if that _is_ the problem

My /proc/interrupts reads:
           CPU0
  0:    1842926          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      31107          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  9:     689820          XT-PIC  via82cxxx
 11:      57285          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:    1003817          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:    4364539          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     117654          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

I'm no expert but it doesn't look like problems.
>Setting PnP enabled OS to 'yes' solved it
It's all ready a yes - but actually I thought that Linux don't support
PnP that well...
Bob Parnass wrote me mail(thanx):
>I have been using the Opera browser instead
>of Netscape more often to avoid freezes.
I downloaded Opera so now is time to cross your fingers....

To summarize:
Since the hangs are rare I won't know for sure if your suggestions have
helped (but thanks a lot anyway). I guess it's a hardware problem, so
I'm gonna do the following:
1) Look around the BIOS setup....
2) Enable the "magic SysRq key" in my kernel
3) Try the new 2.4.2 kernel
4) Move my ethernet card to a different slot

Jacob
--

There he goes...One of Gods own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: PDF Writer
Date: 1 Apr 2001 18:57:09 -0800

On 1 Apr 2001 16:31:46 -0400, Hartmann Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>there is pdftex

Yes, IMHO pdftex produces superior pdf files than ps2pdf, but it
requires the user write their source file in TeX (or a markup language
that can be translated into TeX, like LaTeX, SGML, or IIRC Texinfo).

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.sierratel.com/dowe

WARNING - the content of this message may be erroneous, misspelled and
perhaps even flammable.  It also contains small parts that could cause
asphyxiation.  NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3 YEARS OF AGE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: 1 Apr 2001 23:31:56 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dowe Keller wrote:
>On 1 Apr 2001 16:31:46 -0400, Hartmann Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>there is pdftex
>
>Yes, IMHO pdftex produces superior pdf files than ps2pdf, but it
>requires the user write their source file in TeX (or a markup language
>that can be translated into TeX, like LaTeX, SGML, or IIRC Texinfo).

does anybody know whether lyx works with pdftex?  it is really easy to use,
and if this combination works, it would be almost perfext for tex-sgy users

hs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Utama Abdulwahid)
Subject: ftp Login incorrect
Date: 1 Apr 2001 23:43:35 -0500

Hi,

I'm using a RedHat 7 server. Recently I can't ftp in from anywhere with
any username because of "Login incorrect". Can anyone point me to things
I should check for or if I need to reinstall anything?

The last thing I remember was upgrading my PHP and Apache.

Thanks.

-Utama

------------------------------

From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pim problem -floating point exception
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:48:34 -0400

Hi,
Gnome calendar crashes with a floating point exception every time I try to
start it .  It was working perfectly before.  I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling, removing all configuration files, starting from the command
line, using other window managers... still the same problem.
Has anyone else encountered this, or know how to solve it?  I have months of
data I need to access-- reading them from the user files would be too time
consuming.
Using mandrake 7.2, gnome, sawfish.  No problems with other programs.
many thanks,
Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: ISO image install problem...
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:11:46 -0000

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve) writes:

>>|  You should have the ISO image back on the hard disk of the burner machine
>>|  and make a new CD with 'Make CD from image' option in the burner program.
>
> What I usually do is mount the image then burn to cd. Works everytime.

That can easily lose information, particularly when dealing with
cross-OS burning. For instance, it's not clear if the original poster
burned from within Linux. If the original poster was using Windows,
then mounting the image is iffy (Windows itself doesn't support it, but
I believe there are third-party utilities that do). Assuming the image
is mounted in Windows, you'd lose stuff like Rock Ridge owner and
permissions information, some of which may be important for a Linux
installation CD. When doing this in Linux, you might lose the bootable
nature of the original, unless you take special measures to preserve
it. Likewise, if the CD image supported both ISO-9660 and HFS, you'd
lose the HFS side (unless you mounted it as HFS, in which case you might
lose Rock Ridge information).

All in all, if you download a CD image file, it's best to burn it as an
image file, not mount it and try to re-parse it. Doing the latter just
introduces possibilities for error, both subtle and not-so-subtle.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with configuring squid (aka proxy server) in transparent caching mode
Date: 2 Apr 2001 02:42:03 GMT

I am running RedHat Linux 7.0 with kernel version 2.4.2.  This linux box has 2
interfaces.
The external (public) interface [eth1] has an IP of 199.0.216.222 and the internal
interface [eth0]
(private) has an IP address of 172.16.1.254.  I am running iptables (aka netfilter) on
this
box so that other clients (microsoft Windows 98/NT/2k) on the private network can
access the Internet.  Everything is working smoothly and I am quite happy with it.

Now I would like to implement squid (aka proxy server) on another linux box in my
private
network (this linux box has an IP address of 172.16.1.253) so that I can improve
Internet
access performance for internal clients.  After installing and configuring squid, I
run the
following command to make sure that squid is running properly:

/usr/local/squid/bin/client -h 172.16.1.253 -p 3128 http://www.washingtonpost.com

I look at the /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log file and see that squid if functioning
properly.
To make sure that squid is also functioning properly, I configure the Netscape browser
on one of the clients (IP 172.16.1.100) to point to the squid server (in netscape,
edit, Preferences, Advanced, proxies and specify the IP address and the port 3128).
In summary, squid works.

Now, what I would like to accomplish is to configure squid server to run in transparent
caching mode.  I do NOT want to go to every-clients and reconfigure the browser to
point
to the squid server.  Because I am running ipmasquarade (NAT) on the main linux box, so
I put the following lines in the rc.firewall script:

#Accept port 3128 for squid
$IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 3128 -j ACCEPT
$IPT -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to 172.16.1.253:3128
$IPT -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to 172.16.1.253:3128
$IPT -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 172.16.1.253:3128

what this accomplished is to redirect any traffic (80 or 443) that hits the internal
interface of
linux box (ip 172.16.1.254) to the squid server and see if the information is already
in the
cache.  Only go to the Internet if necessary.

Well, it does NOT work.  Because I am not a linux expert, I am stuck at this point.  I
don't know
how to prceed from here.  If anyone in the group has done this or something similar to
this, please
show me how.

Sorry for a very long mumbo-jumbo question.

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: need help booting linux
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:04:49 +1000

Gary and Susan Krupa wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion, Stanislaw.
>
> Both DOS and Windows work fine on my system.
>
> I'm going to try disabling hardware components and booting Linux. We've
> been having power problems in our area, so who knows, it could even be
> due to a damaged power supply.
>
> If you think of anything else that can be done, please let me know.
>
> Gary Krupa
> Ventura Linux user

If everything else fails reinstall but DO A RESCUE DISKETTE during install.
Plain not LILO dependant.

Have fun.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: system.map
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:09:43 +1000

Yes but I was pointing out that users who are new to linux or to a problem
can have a really hard time figuring out what to start looking at.
I know from personal experience.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Hugh Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows equiv
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:20:25 +1000

What Linux programs could I use to do what Sockcap,Httport, would do on a Win
system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Former presidential candidate to throw weight behind Linux; President said to
be interested
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:29:56 GMT

Well, it seems that today is a very special day for Linux --

        Former Republican presidential candidate Dan Quayle announced today
that he would be making a major investment in one of the oldest and most
respected Linux distributions.  In light of the importance of this financial
boost, the distribution project participants have voted in favor of renaming
the "Debian" distribution "Debbian."  The reason for the change in spelling
was not disclosed, but is suspected to be in deference to one of the new
benefactor's early girlfriends, or something like that.  Debbian 2.1 will now
be distributed as "Slinky."  Again, the reason for this was not disclosed, but
speculation is that this is one of his pet names for Marilyn, or something
like that.  In contrast, a couple of changes do have reasons disclosed for
them.  For instance, Debbian 2.2 has been renamed to "Potatoe" in remembrance
of Dan Quayle's nightmarish experience caused back in the 1988 campaign.
"People gave me no end of grief about that spelling bee," Dan Quayle was
quoted as saying, "when it was really on account of my concern about the
potential for outbreak of a new foot fungus developed by a renegade branch of
the Soviet government.  I couldn't say anything about it at the time due to
national security reasons, but now I can say that had it actually gotten
loose, it would have caused eyes to sprout on everyone's feet."  Also, as a
puzzling but apparently sincere olive branch offered to former presidential
candidate Al Gore, Debbian 2.3 will be distributed as "Wooden."

        As if the above announcement were not enough shock for the Linux
world and the political world to swallow in one day, it has been reported
that President George W. Bush is also taking interest in the free operating
system.  No official confirmation of this is available yet, but after the
release of the above announcement, the President was overheard saying "You
know, I might really be able to get some mileage out of switching over to
this new Debbian thing."  (The White House was apparently unaware that
Debian has been around for years, although some White House observers have
proposed that this is due to confusion caused by the spelling change.)  The
President went on to say, "I think that Windows' ease-of-use advantage has
been greatly over-hyped.  You know, every time something goes wrong on my
Windows computer, I call technical support and give them the code that the
previous support technician told me to take down:  I-D-10-T.  They always
say that code will help the next technician identify my problem.  Sure enough,
the next one I get identifies the problem immediately by the code, but then
we never get any further on it, and eventually they just end up giving me the
same code again and telling me to give this code next time I call technical
support.  I just can't figure out why, if this I-D-10-T problem is so common
under Windows that every technical support person knows about it, that
Microsoft can't fix it.  Maybe a little competition would help, or something
like that."

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
New e-mail address is approximately:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]