Linux-Misc Digest #511, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 04:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: MIME-type problem with Squid23 -STABLE4 (Robert Lynch)
  Re: STTY and ERASE ("Victor")
  Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: chinese pinyin no-tone entry method in linux? (Thomas J Powderly)
  creating new partitions on exsisting install, possible? ("max barwell")
  Re: Which verison of X Free 86 is in Mandrake 7.1? (moonie;))
  IBM's JDK 1.3 for linux/Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  converting linux to dos-text-files ??? (Sebastian Koball)
  Re: creating new partitions on exsisting install, possible? (Davide Bianchi)
  marking 'bad' sectors? (Quentin Christensen)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers (Marc D. Williams)
  Trouble with Linux. (Sam Wun)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows... (Richard
Steiner)
  Re: Trouble with Linux. (Davide Bianchi)
  How to detect a application Crash ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ??? (JosB)
  Re: LILO re-install question (Sini Makela)

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIME-type problem with Squid23 -STABLE4
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:15:42 -0700

Christian Roessner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after hard work with installing Squid23-STABLE4 under SuSE6.4 I got it
> run. But if I chose a ftp directory all icons are broken. The mime.conf,
> mime.types files are located in /etc also the directory named icons. In
> squid.conf I made the correct entries for mime table and icon path but as
> I told you, it doesn´t find the icons. The syslog tells the following:
>
> internalStart: unknown request: GET
> /squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-dirup.gif ...
> ...many more...
>
> Who can help me. Thanks very much Christian

I can't really help; just to mention I installed this via a rpm,
and it was a MESS. For example, I found that the script did not
create squid user.  I did this by hand, but found many other
things were broken. I just gave up and reverted to 2.3STABLE1-5,
which installs and works very nicely for me.

HTH. Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:23:55 GMT

> How hard can it be to put "stty erase ^H" into your login profile?

Well, consider that all users must use ^H since many of them might have it
set to ^? for other reasons (connection to other boxes that use different
standard that aren't under your control).

You also must change all boxes,  they might not all share the /home dirs.

It's not right to make the users be responsible for the fix. The server must
be the one doing it right. Backspace should send Backspace.

Not to mention, you must also do if ($?prompt), otherwise other things might
complain (scp, for instance).

HTH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: why suid'ed shutdown refuses to run?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:33:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >I am experimenting with the suid stuff. In an experiment
> >I create a script /bin/shutdown which just exec /sbin/shutdown.
>
> Luckily, the Linux kernel is smart enough to properly detect
> this and ignores the setUID bit on scripts that are not
> calling a setUID-aware shell (like, e.g., sperl).
>
> Simple answer: Don't do it. SetUID scripts are such a huge
> security risk that you should never get the habit of using it
> even if you were using a system that supported it.

Would you explain why SetUID script is a huge security risk?
I don't see why a SetUID binary is more secure...

From: Thomas J Powderly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.chinese.computing,chinese.comp.software,sci.lang,tw.bbs.comp.chinese,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: chinese pinyin no-tone entry method in linux?
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:45:57 -0500

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Hello.  I'm planning to make the jump from Micro$oft to Linux, but am concerned
> that all the Chinese pinyin entry methods for linux require that one enter the
> tones... Is there a entry method where the tones are optional as in M$'s Xin1
> Zhu4Yin1 Shu1ru4fa3 [pinyin mode=on], which I'm used to.  [Also we non-native
> speakers don't always know the tone for sure.] [I'm reading this in
Laurent Neyret,
 Look into EMACS, and load the input type for pinyin. I've done it
before,
but recently everything is in Thai ( wish they had a 'pinyin' ). If I
recall
correctly, there are input types for Mandarin and Cantonese.
 There's LOTS of steps ...
 you have to install the fonts
 you have to learn a bit of emacs
 you have to install the input system
 you have to test & print and see if you like it
 ( but you could always re-write the parts you dont like ( huge code! )

 regards
 TomP

From: "max barwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: creating new partitions on exsisting install, possible?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:57:57 +1200

I have been using Linux for a while now and have progressed in leaps and
bounds, however I have come to a problem that I fear may be unsolvable, or
just exceptionally unpractical. When I first installed, knowing only a
little, I installed a /boot, and a / partition, and of course swap. But now
that I know what Im doing I would like to have a more traditional
partition setup /home, /usr, etc. Is there any way to convert what I have
to this arrangement, or must I either reinstall or back the direcories
/home, /usr etc up somewhere, and then make the partitions and reinstall
the data. am I lost? am I being practical? please help.

sincerely, Max

--
======================================
-     Max Barwell     - - Powered by -

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which verison of X Free 86 is in Mandrake 7.1?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:07:12 -0400

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Andrew N. McGuire  wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, moonie and UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTERmooniequoth:
>
>~~ Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:52:18 -0400
>~~ From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>~~ Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake, comp.os.linux.hardware,
>~~     comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.setup
>~~ Subject: Re: Which verison of X Free 86 is in Mandrake 7.1?
>~~
>~~ On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Gerardo wrote:
>~~ >Which version of X Free 86 is in Mandrake 7.1?  Is Xfree 86 4.0 available in
>~~ >any distribution?
>~~ >
>~~ >Thanks,
>~~ >Gerardo
>~~ >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>~~
>~~ Both XFree86 4.0, and 3.3.6 are in M 7.1.  I believe to use 4.0 you have to do
>~~ an expert install.
>
>Good thing I marked my previous response with "could be wrong" huh? :-)
>
>Regards,

Even I find it hard to be right all the time (don't tell my kids) lol ;)
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Stripped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.programmer,alt.os.linux
Subject: IBM's JDK 1.3 for linux/Windows
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:09:38 +0800

Hi, just wondering any comments on the above vs others? Good, better or
worse. Not compatible with IDEs, memory hog, etc?

Thanks

Regards
Damon

"It's not about working OT, it's about fatigue......" quoted Anonymous
Programmer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Koball)
Subject: converting linux to dos-text-files ???
Date: 21 Aug 2000 08:18:44 +0200

Please Help !!!
High urgent !!!
how can i convert linux-text files to dos text files ???
i think it is only a problem of cr and lf conversion.
please help !!!
sebastian.koball(at)medizin.uni-rostock.de

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 06:19:11 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:57:57 +1200, "max barwell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been using Linux for a while now and have progressed in leaps and
>bounds, however I have come to a problem that I fear may be unsolvable, or
>just exceptionally unpractical. When I first installed, knowing only a
>little, I installed a /boot, and a / partition, and of course swap. But now
>that I know what Im doing I would like to have a more traditional
>partition setup /home, /usr, etc. Is there any way to convert what I have
>to this arrangement, or must I either reinstall or back the direcories
>/home, /usr etc up somewhere, and then make the partitions and reinstall
>the data. am I lost? am I being practical? please help.

If you have empty spaces (not partitioned) in your disk, simply create
a new partition, format it using mk2fs, then copy the existing /usr
or the /home into the new partition, and modify the mtab to mount
the new partition into the old mount point.
When you have done this, you can restart the system to have your new
partition installed.

If you don't have empty space, you have only one option: shrink your
existing partition using something like Partition Magic, then create
the new partition.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen)
Subject: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 06:41:23 GMT

Hello,

I'm pretty new to linux, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question :)

I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the hard
drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.  Sometimes when doing hard
disk acess the drive will whine and clunk and eventually do whatever it's
trying to do.

Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors as bad (or
however linux does it, I must look that up...)?

Regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen.
My Freeware: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/freeware.html

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 21 Aug 2000 06:57:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 20 Aug 2000 22:17:27 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>:>That's the one. The ioctl'll error out unless the drive is completely
:>:>dismounted at the time. I couldn't guarrantee it for him at his level
:>:>of expertise, so I asked him to reboot, which will ensure that every
:>:>partition is dismounted.
:>
:>: I'm not even certain that this is correct. Besides the fact that he was
:>
:>You should be.

: How so? You've thus far only told me two extreme cases whereby the software
: could fail to do things properly. I demonstrated how FDISK can/will report

That's enough. But the cases aren't extreme. It's "any partition on the
disk being already mounted".

: if there exists an error condition. On what do you base your statements?

On precisely that. Is there anything to argue about here?

: This is the world of Linux - Microsoft mentality should be checked at the
: door. We can't let the MS weenies think we're as weak as them now, can we? :>

I certainly don't mind not rebooting in this case. I simply decided it
was more than the 60s worth of typing I was prepared to devote to give
him exact and dire warnings about how to avoid it and to tell him how
to cope if by mistake he evoked a refused ioctl. Sure, you and I can
avoid rebooting, but to make _sure_ (blind, at long distance) that the
partition table is reread I felt it best to tell him to reboot.

: Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Otherwise, you could have worded it thusly;

: Partition your disk the way you want it,

At this point the kernel should reread the partition table.

: mke2fs all the filesystems,
: edit fstab and add all newly created filesystems,
: (copy data from old filesystems to temp location),

This is dangerous. He might try and put it somwhere strange or not
notice overflow (disk full) conditions.

: (unmount old filesystems),
: mount new filesystems,
: copy data to new filesystems,
: continue working as if nothing had happened.

You have to add riders about not changing his mind after partitioning
and mke2fs'ing and mounting and going back for some more, but I agree,
this is as foolproof as one can reasonably get.

: That's how I explain it when asked, except that I use somewhat more lengthy
: instructions when I do so.

:>: correctly from the beginning, rather than giving people the "cop-out"
:>: or "band-aid" solution. Linux really doesn't have to be re-booted except
:>
:>This isn't a cop-out. If he tries your idea on the same disk as he's
:>curretly running on, he'll overwrite most of what he's got.

: As I said; he was installing a virgin disk and creating all new filesystems.
: It's highly doubtful that he would have put his root filesystem on the disk
: before even partitioning it.

Novices are geniuses :-).

: He wasn't altering partitions, but instead creating them from scratch. Focus.

A novice can change his mind too!

: I'm not saying your suggestion was neccesarily wrong, just a little overly
: cautious. I've performed filesystem maintenance on running servers, so I

It pays to be overly cautious if you have a real system. (That's also
a good habit ;-).  I'm not sure that I'd omit a reboot step myself, btw,
because I like to see the kernel reading the table at bootup.  At least
I'd see if it interpreted the table the same way I had. That's good
info to have.

: know how well Linux can handle filesystem creation/alterations. It's one
: of the strengths of Linux - drives can be created and removed without the
: connected user(s) ever even seeing a hiccup.

Yes, of course.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:16:35 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:52:09 GMT, Matt Garman wrote:
>Are there any good trackers for Linux?  By tracker I mean the software
>with which you can *create* MOD files (or S3M, XM, etc).  DOS examples are
>Impulse Tracker and FastTracker.
>
>I believe Impulse Tracker is being ported to Linux, but it's KDE only.  I
>don't feel like installing KDE just for a tracker.

Some trackers mentioned at freshmeat are mostly gui stuff.

Industrial Tracker and Linux (KDE)
KegTracker (GTK)
Rapid Audio Tracker (X11) similar to Fast Tracker it says
Sarah Tracker (console/ncurses)  In alpha though
Shake Tracker (GTK)  MIDI prog with Tracker features
SoundTracker (X11)  also described as similar to Fast Tracker
stracker (console)
Voodoo Tracker (GTK)

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with Linux.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:26:44 +1000

Hi,

Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
install a module/component?
eg. make install
and also automatically install all its dependent packages?

Thanks
sam.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 21 Aug 2000 07:24:52 GMT

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:13:12 GMT,
            Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>                                             ...               we got
>ascii from card punchers.  half the control codes are only of interest
>to card punchers.  some can go either way as the restrictions due to
>physics of card punching are relaxed by better hardware.

ASCII, think paper tape.  Punch cards and EBCDIC (or 6 bit BCD) goes
together.  EBCDIC codes maps directly to hole combinations in normal
12 x 80 Holerith punch cards.

Notice also, that when a paper tape runs out, the reader will produce
a conteinous tream of rub-out characters, that is, 0x7f plus even
parity = 0xff.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:49:55 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a taste of Linux,
>with which I have no experience whatsoever, except for having seen it
>run on other users computers :-)

Be prepared for a bit of a culture shock.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:27:36 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
>it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
>installed on my computer.

USR (before purchased by 3Com) used to provide a DOS upgrade method as
well as the Windows one.  I've upgraded my Courier V.E many times using
their DOS software.

You also used to be able to upgrade using ANY communications program
(regardless of platform) that could do an Xmodem upload.

Is this no longer the case?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
           BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: Trouble with Linux.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:29:06 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:26:44 +1000, Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
>install a module/component?
>eg. make install
>and also automatically install all its dependent packages?

Basically no. If you want to install a package that depends from other
packages, you must be sure that all the packages are installed into
your system. With RedHat there is a "database" that you can query to
locate all the interdipendent packages (e.g. what depends from this
package ?), but if you install one package, only that package will
be installed.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to detect a application Crash
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:38:44 GMT

Hi,

I want to know how to find out a Application crash/coredump. Basically i
want to write a utility to do some activities when ever crash occurs.

As of i know the kernel is sending some signals( SIG_SEGV, SIG_ILL,
SIG_GPE,SIG_ABRT ) while core dump ocurs. In this case, if the
application which has crashed has trapped these signals, then i cant
catch. So is there any other way to handle this. Or is there any
possibility of extending the kernel without recompiling (like plug-in).

Thanks,

N. Sivakumar.

From: JosB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ???
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:47:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Koball) wrote:
> Please Help !!!
> High urgent !!!
> how can i convert linux-text files to dos text files ???
> i think it is only a problem of cr and lf conversion.
> please help !!!
> sebastian.koball(at)medizin.uni-rostock.de

There are some utils available, don't know them all.
unix2dos is an example.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sini Makela)
Subject: Re: LILO re-install question
Date: 21 Aug 2000 08:03:48 GMT

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> IMHO, Netscape's news client is horrible, not only in its interface, but
> because to use it, you need Netscape running, sucking up memory and
> crashing randomly.  slrn is really full-featured, small, and never
> crashes.

Well these are of course matter of opinions, but I think Netscape news client
interface is not that horrendous. At least it has neat and intuitive key
bindings compared some other GUI news clients I've tried, like Pan. Memory
 and crashing are true problems with Netscape and currently it looks like it's not
going to get any better with Mozilla/NS6.0..

:sini