From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux x-window screen settings????
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:58:56 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi there all...
>
> I am using redhat 5.2 and needed to now how the heck configure x-windows to
> run on my machine by with my screen at 800 by 600 at least, because now i am
> using it at 600 by 480 (i think)and evrything is to big, it is quiet
> difficult to work with that resolution.
>
> I'd appreciate very much if someone could help me with this.
>
> YAYO

Does <CTRL><ALT><+> shift to another resolution?

------------------------------

From: "David Lloyd-Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:16:16 -0500

WARGY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)

I'm (still) running NT 4.0 on one of my drives, and I upgraded to MSIE 5
last night. Lemme tell you, you don't want to use this sucker for a few
months. It's your typical let-the-customers-debug-it Microsoft effort. It
lost my saved News files, tried awfully hard to connect me to MSN, and
seems, perhaps, to have destroyed a couple of DLL's that other programs
need.

It's fast, and Outlook Express 5 is an improvement over the older version --
but let the public debug is for a couple of months. You'll save yourself
some annoyance that way.

                                            Cheers,

                                                    -dlj.

------------------------------

From: Roland Latour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X terminal, rxvt terminal
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:07:35 -0800

Jet wrote:

> I know this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between the
> two?

X is designed to run over a network, meaning that the system where
you run an X client is not necessarily the same system where the X
client displays its output.

An X terminal is a piece of specialized hardware. Do not confuse an
X terminal with 'xterm', an X client that emulates a DEC VT102
ASCII terminal, and a Tektronix 4014 line graphics terminal.
You can get an X terminal from www.ncd.com, among other vendors.

I don't know what an 'rxvt terminal' is. I suspect you are referring
to a program called 'rxvt', another X client that emulates a DEC
ASCII terminal, in this case a VT102. It has fewer features than xterm.

You can expect to see xterm and rxvt displaying on an X terminal,
possibly multiple times.
--
 Retired Tech Support Engineer       http://home.cdsnet.net/~rolandl
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Ben

------------------------------

From: James Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:04:45 -0500

WARGY wrote:

> M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)

Why would you even want to?  I mean really....what would be the point...
it would crash far to often to be useable.

------------------------------

From: Stef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ***Newbie Question***
Date: 21 Mar 1999 17:16:18 +0100

: I have downloaded a script to configure my ppp on a linux machine
: using win95.  How can i transfer the script to my linux machine and
: run it. (Using a floppy disk)  I think it is a zip file.

Copy the script to floppy. Insert the floppy into you Linux machine,
and, if the ending of the file is .zip, say

mcopy "a:\filename.zip" .
unzip filename.zip

If you don't have the mtools, you have to mount the floppy:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
cp /mnt/filename.zip .
unzip filename.zip

Cheers
Stef
--
WebMaster D-WERK
President SOS-ETH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefano Ghirlanda)
Subject: Re: penthium performance problem
Date: 21 Mar 1999 16:42:14 GMT

>> bogomips        : 1.90

>Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 332.60 BogoMIPS

I read in the BogoMips howtwo that the count should be around 53 for a
pentium 133... so there seems to be something wrong indeed.
Any suggestions?

 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:45:55 -0600
From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie needs help installing 2.2.3 kernel

Did you update the required packages described in the Changes file
before truing to compile?

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Question about ZIP Disks with Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:02:04 -0600

And I use a parallel ZIP 100 without any problems.
If you want a summary of what I did email me...

------------------------------

From: Andy Piper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:20:52 +0000

James Lewis wrote:

> WARGY wrote:
>
> > M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> > be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)
>
> Why would you even want to?  I mean really....what would be the point...
> it would crash far to often to be useable.

Well, Netscape 4.5 does, so why should IE 5 be any
different?

Andy

--
Andy Piper                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fareham, Hampshire

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:51:48 -0500
From: Spyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

WARGY wrote:

> M$ IE5 is out and it can run on Solaris Unix. Can that Solaris package
> be installed in Linux?  (especially Slackware 3.6 distro)
>
> WARGY

Exactly why would you want to do such a hanous thing?

--
"Micro$oft is merely the greatest marketing firm ever to exist.
           They have to be, they market Windoze."

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:48:05 -0500

ok, i'm gonna try that first

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: CD/Jewel Case lael maker (for linux)?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 17:18:10 GMT

Hi, i was wondering if anyone out there knows of (and/or could recommend) a
jewel case and/or cd label maker program for linux?  I heard of one that can
save the labels as PS files (which would be ideal for printing out on other
computers!

Thank you,

                     -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho
Student Extraordinare & UN*X Guru Wannbe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Uninstall
Date: 21 Mar 1999 17:06:42 GMT

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:34:27 -0600,
 David  Stillie, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>I'm giving a computer to my Grandmother so she can surf the net, and I"d
>like to uninstall Linux and return to Windoze. But can't seem to get rid of
>the thing! Please help!

Um, boot from a msdos floppy and format c: ? (plus whatever
other drives fdisk shows)

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

------------------------------

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:18:59 +0000

When I use the default printer defs stc.upp, stc_l.upp and stc_h.upp, I
get very good results. But I went to define the default printer 'lp' to
print only grey. So I used all the parameters in stc_l.upp except
I changed '-dupColorModel=/DeviceGray' . It now DOES print Grayscale but
in reverse video !!! The lighter areas print darker ( for e.g. the
background) and vice-cersa. Can anyone enlighten me how to correct this
?

TIA,
m v r

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (E. Frank Ball)
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 01:30:28 GMT

On 18 Mar 1999 06:09:10 GMT Bill Unruh ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) @ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

} They key thing you are buying for the $50 is the manual (printing it out
} at 5cents a page will cost you about $15 anyway), the installation
} support (purely for installation, not setup. If you are a complete
} computer newbe it may be worth it. Otherwise it tends not to be). The
} manual can be useful-- but again purely for installation.

The RedHat manual isn't worth $50.  After you have loaded your first
system you are done with it.  Forever.  At least the SuSE manual is good
enough you will use it as a reference.   When upgrading there is nothing
to be lost by getting a $2 CD.

5 cents a page to print???  A ream of paper is about $3 or $4.  A
laserjet cartridge lasts a couple years.

--

   Frank Ball    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: HELP - Epson Stylus Pro and Ghostscript 5.5
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:21:34 +0000

mvrao wrote:

> When I use the default printer defs stc.upp, stc_l.upp and stc_h.upp, I
> get very good results. But I went to define the default printer 'lp' to
> print only grey. So I used all the parameters in stc_l.upp except
> I changed '-dupColorModel=/DeviceGray' . It now DOES print Grayscale but
> in reverse video !!! The lighter areas print darker ( for e.g. the
> background) and vice-cersa. Can anyone enlighten me how to correct this
> ?
>
> TIA,
> m v r

Oh BTW, I am using the uniprint driver. I checked all doc on Uniprint I
could find and no clue.

m v r

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: Is there a good graphical web page editor for Linux?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:20:37 GMT

In our last episode (Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:59:20 -0500),
the artist formerly known as Scott Kester said:
>I am looking for a good WYSIWYG web page editor to run on Linux.  Does
>any one know of one?

There's no such thing as a WYSIWIG web page/HTML editor, but if you're
looking for a visual HTML editor, there's Amaya (which can also be used as
a Web browser if you're very, very patient) which can provide you with
several simultaneous views of your document, including a graphically
rendered view, a text-based rendering, a table of contents and a structural
outline.  Unfortunately, the last version I tried was very slow and more
than a little prone to dying.  Probably you could get Netscape Navigator
Gold v. 3 still if you did some digging around.  I think some others have
been mentioned, but if I were to use a visual HTML editor, I'd be inclined
to go with Amaya.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.