Linux-Misc Digest #544, Volume #20                Tue, 8 Jun 99 16:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Does Java run well on Linux? (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Code!
  Is it possible to copy a Red Hat CD on a Windows system? ("Steve Hiner")
  Re: Restricted telnet access (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Very,very slow KDE (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: NEC ide 4 disc changer (Jeroen Massar)
  Problem forwarding syslog messages. ("Graham Simons")
  Re: ISPs for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: the last two characters of a dos text file are? (Hans Wolters)
  Undeletion help!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: using winmodems under Linux ?? (Johan Kullstam)
  linux bat file ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mod. awe_wave do not load on demand ("Casteyde")
  Renaming Files ("Matthew D. Melbert")
  Re: ISPs for Linux? (gus)
  Re: Solder pads for jumpers functional on USR modem?
  Re: linux bat file (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: How big can swap partition be? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Bug in Linuxfilesystem !!! (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Bug in Linuxfilesystem !!! (John Girash)
  Re: Bad Harddrive??? (David Vrabel)
  Re: Linux on a 486? (Robert Heller)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Does Java run well on Linux?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:33:00 GMT

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:31:09 +0400, Igor Gorbounov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Mike Frisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Java will not run much better (if at all) on this slow machine.
>> > Java is a resource hog and even on much faster machines (ie. P166 or
>> > better), it's still slow.  Either you'll have to tolerate the poor
>> > performance or update your machine.
>>
>> You are best off with a *lot* of memory if you want to play around
>> with Java.  It doesn't need a vastly fast processor; just almost as
>> much memory as an optimising C++ compiler...
>>

>How did you managed java to work on Linux? When I'm trying to
>run it just like this:
>    java demo.class
>while being in the same directory with demo.class, it says, that
>cannot find class demo.class. What's wrong here?
>    Igor Gorbounov.

Lose the '.class' suffix;

java demo

will look for the file demo.class and load it.

----
[EMAIL PROTECTED], who likes extremely simple fixes :-)

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Code!
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:24:39 +0100

"Thanks for your help, though I have just been informed that MS Windows
Outlook includes ROT 13 decoding support! :-<

The idea was the my Perl->CGI was to decode and encode stuff for passing
around sercurly, and then decoding with your comercial program or my CGI.
Though, as it seams I'm a little stuck, so I've have to change the Encyrtion
Key!

Blahh Blahh.....

Thanks,

QX -Mat
www.Q-M.net"

Call me a newbie again, and a promise that my next post wont be  legal! --
NEVER CALL ISP ADMINS A NEWBIE!

------------------------------

From: "Steve Hiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is it possible to copy a Red Hat CD on a Windows system?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:40:34 -0700

I bought a CheapBytes Red Hat 6.0 CD and I have a friend that wants me to
copy it for him (saves him a little money since he already has the blank
CDs).  My problem is that the only CD burner I have is at work and it is on
a Windows NT machine.  I am using Easy CD Creator Deluxe.  I have searched
quite a bit about creating Linux CDs on Windows machines and everything I
find is really talking about creating one from scratch using downloaded
files (most say it is not possible without using Linux).

The thing I am interested in finding out is if I can copy an existing CD.  I
don't know a whole lot about how CD burners work with respect to ISO images
but it seems to me like I should be able to make an ISO image of the
original CD and burn a new one using the image.  If I were using Linux I
would trust that but in my experience Windows programs like to "help" you
out without telling you so I was wondering if it would try to convert the
file system to Joliet or if an ISO image is a bit-for-bit image of the CD.

If it were my disc I would just burn one and find out if it works but since
it is my friends CD I don't want to ruin one if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the help,
Steve Hiner
developer AT isiaz DOT com

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restricted telnet access
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:38:46 GMT

although the users will be able to view files on the comp in the root (/)
directory, they shouldn't be able to change and they shouldn't be able
to access others directories.&nbsp; If you are having a problem with this,
use the chmod command.&nbsp; You can do a <i>man chmod </i>to find out
exactly how to set permissions, but you need to disable everything except
user read &amp; write.
5.2) servers mainly
etc. .

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very,very slow KDE
Date: 08 Jun 1999 09:57:43 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have Pentium II Mendocino - 300Mhz, HD Quantum 6.4MB with Ultra DMA
> 33, 32MB SDRam, BX chipset, Rendition Verite 2200 videocard with 4MB
> Ram. I use Mandrake Linux 5.3 and KDE. My swap partition is 100MB. My
> KDE is so slow that sometimes I have to wait 15 sec just to open a menu.
> It seems that every time it needs something it searches the whole disk
> for it, and it does this in such a way that the whole computer shakes. I
> do not know what the problem is, and I would be very obligied to anyone
> who could help.

you are likely out of ram and swapping heavily.  check with free or
top.  buy more ram.  32MB is plenty for X w/o netscape or KDE.  get
rid of KDE or drop at least another 32MB into your box.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Jeroen Massar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEC ide 4 disc changer
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:48:46 +0200

/dev/changer at http://unfix.org/projects/changer

------------------------------

From: "Graham Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem forwarding syslog messages.
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:12:17 +0100

Hi,
I'm having a bit of a problem with forwarding messages from syslog on a
solaris 2.6 box to a linux machine running redhat 5.2
(sysklogd-1.3-25).
What happens intermittently is that when two messages are sent out of the
solaris box, with the same facility.level code, and the same text. The first
occurrance is sent to the linux box and Solaris seems to hang on to the
second to see if it will be repeated more times. When a third message comes
along that is different, the second message is sent as "last message
repeated 1 time", and the third message is also forwarded.
Syslogd on the linux machine now gets into a bit of a problem, repeating the
third message over and over, and repeating the "message repeated 1 time" as
well.

E.g. Using the following commands:
            logger -p user.warn "test"
            logger -p user.warn "test"
            logger -p user.warn "test2"
would produce :
May 28 16:56:10 solaris1 soluser: test
May 28 16:56:10 solaris1 last message repeated 508 times
May 28 16:56:12 solaris1 last message repeated 1 time
May 28 16:56:15 solaris1 soluser: test2
[...]

syslog.conf on Solaris box
kern,user,mail,auth,lpr,news,uucp,cron.info     @172.27.1.11
local2.err
@172.27.1.11
Syslog.conf on linux box
*.warn;user,local0,local1,local2,local3,local4,local5,local6,local7.info
/dev/lp1

If anyone can throw some light on this please let me know

Thanks
Graham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ISPs for Linux?
Date: 8 Jun 1999 14:03:37 GMT

In his obvious haste, Anthony Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:

: Has anyone subscribed to AOL via Linux?  I rang their technical support
: line to ask if it was possible and they said they didn't know!

: On the same theme, does anyone in the UK know of any ISPs that will accept
: subscriptions via Linux? Many seem to demand Windows :-(

There're quite a few.
I'm on freenet.co.uk at the moment, but looking at other ones as well.
Even freeserve is linux compatible (if not friendly).
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Subject: Re: the last two characters of a dos text file are?
Date: 8 Jun 1999 14:48:35 GMT

Charles Wilkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> found a keyboard
 and wrote the following ....

>I am specifically interested in which characters are used at the end
>of the line in a dos text file because these text files cannot execute
>under Unix or Linux.
>
>I have written a conversion script in Perl that does the following:
>
>It takes the dos text file and strips the last two characters from
>each line.
>It then adds \n (the newline character) to the end of each of the
>lines.
>
>The problem with my script is that it doesn't check for the existence
>of these codes before chopping. This could be particularly harmful to
>a non-dos text file.
>
>I am sure that the last character code is \n because my script works
>properly on dos text files.
>What I would like to do is check for the existence of the next to the
>last code. In order to do this, I need to know what that code is.

CHR$(13 & 10)

Regards Hans

--
    22 Linux Search Engines in one applet
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Undeletion help!!!
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:43:52 GMT

I have a RedHat 5.2 system running as a samba
server for my home.  My wife had a backup of her
entire system on it which she recently deleted off
of her home directory. She just had a hard drive
crash and I now need to get the stuff she had
deleted back onto the Linux box.

I have done some preliminary investigation trying
to use e2recover and I can see all the inodes that
were deleted.  Fragmentation should not be a
problem because the server does not get a lot of
use at all. (I have also since put the /home
partition into read only mode)

My problem is that e2recover will not work with
drives over 2 gig in size, and my drive is 8.4
gig.  When the program runs it gets a FUNC_SEEK
error.  (Apparently the FUNC_SEEK error has
something to do with the fact that whatever
underlying function this e2recover script relies
on cannot access inodes past around 2 gig)  So
what I need is any help in trying to get e2recover
to work with a larger file system, or a similar
program that works with larger drives.

Any help that anyone could give would be GREATLY
appreciated!

Jim Sanders

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: using winmodems under Linux ??
Date: 08 Jun 1999 09:55:03 -0400

Ronald Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, I am considering purchasing a new computer.  Almost every system
> I consider comes with a winmodem.

refuse the winmodem.

i'd go down to the local <ethnic>-quarter and get a small shop to
build a system.  you can tell them exactly what you want and they
build it for you.  go generic and basic.

i really like the small shop approach.  they use straighforward
motherboards and cases.

do not get weird motherboard built-ins like video or sound.  built-in
usual stuff like ide and serial is ok.  on-board scsi has given
problems in the past but may be straightened out now.  get a lot of
pci slots.  get an external serial interface modem.

bundling is a way to sell one good item and foist a lot of substandard
stuff on you at the same time.  this is how the big pc houses make
money.  the 500MHz PIII with winmodem is a classic example of this.

if you do not feel comfortable with specifying your own system,
there are several linux system vendors.  they will build you a
complete system with linux pre-installed.  you will be confident that
all the hardware works with linux.

if you feel bold and strapped for cash, go to a computer show.  buy an
obsolete pentiumpro based system and fill it with ram.  a ppro 200 is
still fast and the prices are really low.  you can even get a dual
system for not a lot of money.

> I had heard in the past that this may cause difficulties under Linux, is
> this the case?

it is still the case

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux bat file
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:11:04 GMT

how do i create a bat file using linux.  thanks.

From: "Casteyde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mod. awe_wave do not load on demand
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:40:35 +0200

Hi !

I've managed to get my ISA PnP AWE64 work correctly, except MIDI :
- I found that the default MIDI port was the external one => Can't get a
sound to my speakers ;
- I can load manually awe_wave => The internal MIDI port come in memory (=>
Sound OK),
but this mod do not load automatically (even with drvmidi) as others
modules.

Could anybody explain me :

- how to make it undestand that I want on demand awe_wave loading ?
- how to get the internal MIDI port as the default one ?
- and more generally, how do the kernel know wich module to load and when ?

I could use modprobe at startup but I feel that I missed something (why
*this* module is not on demand
loadable).

Note : I use SuSE Linux 6.1, recompiled 2.2.9 kernel (with egcs) with kmod
support (no more kdaemon).
There is a link /dev/midi -> /dev/midi00, and the internal port seems to be
/dev/midi01 (/dev/midi00 loads
the sb module).

Thank you very much...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew D. Melbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Renaming Files
Date: 8 Jun 1999 11:01:57 -0500

I was assigned a relatively easy task of taking Dos filenames and
uncapitalizing them for easier use in Linux.  (You know that when take a
file and transfer it from DOS to Linux it capitalizes everything). To my
suprise in my debugging phase I found that could rename ANY file even if I
didnt have permissions to the file (no...I was not logged on as root
either....or even as "su").  Does this sound right that you can rename any
file you want??  Seems to me like that would be a big security hazard.  If
anyone can tell me what is going on there like if that is what should be
happening, or if I should not be able to rename the file,  it would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any replys!

Matt Melbert

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:12:14 +0100

I am happily using demon internet....

gus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: Solder pads for jumpers functional on USR modem?
Date: 8 Jun 1999 15:18:33 GMT

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 07:55:54 GMT, Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Wouldn't it be easier to just use the isa pnp tools?  Just do:

Soldering a couple of wire jumpers in place is no big deal, if it
will work.  I've read reports of some people having problems with
isa pnp support in Linux, I'd just as soon set the modem up for
standard COM1 or COM2 if possible.

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: linux bat file
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:55:21 GMT

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:11:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>how do i create a bat file using linux.  thanks.

Start your favourite text editor (I like textedit in X, but most
people swear by Vi or Emacs), type your text, and save as something.bat

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 21:25:57 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How big can swap partition be?

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> yes, but the original poster specifically asked about linux-2.0.28.
> it's ancient and should probably be upgraded, but there it is.

I thought 2.2.28 was a typo for 2.2.8?

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 21:29:26 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bug in Linuxfilesystem !!!

Daniel Migowski wrote:

> I tried to delete some files.
> There are the results (compare the sum of free and used to total!)
>
> Q: Why are there MB's of data gone? (Not by the filesystem, or am I that
> wrong?)
> (btw. i moved 80MB from a full /home to / and only 20MB were freed!!!!)
> Q: How do get them back?
> Q: Is it a bug or am I too silly?

the computation goes as follows:
FS_size = Used + Free + Reserved_for_superuser

see the manpage to tune2fs/mke2fs, option -m.

Marc

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 8 Jun 1999 19:29:40 GMT

Daniel Migowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Q: Why are there MB's of data gone? (Not by the filesystem, or am I that
> wrong?)
> Q: How do get them back?
> Q: Is it a bug or am I too silly?

man tune2fs.

------------------------------

From: David Vrabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad Harddrive???
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:16:24 +0100

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How does linux deal with bad sectors on harddrives.  I have an older
> drive and would like to put linux on it, but the drive has a few bad
> spots.  So, I would like to know if the drive is still useable; and if
> so, how do I set linux up to get around the bad spots?  Otherwise, I'll
> turn it into modern art.  Thanx in advance.
Use the badblocks program to find and mark bad blocks before makeing the
filesystem.

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a 486?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:21:10 GMT

  Sparky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:56:23 GMT, wrote :

S> I have an old 486SX25 PC just doing nothing, it is pretty poor spec with
S> just a 120mbHD and er, that's about it.
S>
S> Would it be possible to run Linux on this, scrap the MS-DOS what was
S> left on it and use it as a Linux machine?
S>
S> An if this is possible, would it be useable to run X-Windows on it such
S> as GNOME or would this just be too slow?
S>
S> Thanks,
S> Mark.

Linux will run fine on it (slow, but fine).  For X-Windows you need at
least 16 meg, preferably more.  Memory is somewhat cheap, so a memory
upgrade is a Good Thing(tm).  Also, you'll want a bigger hard drive,
again hard drives are cheap enough.  Don't worry about the BIOS not
supporting a 'large' drive.  So long as you make a 'small' (64meg) root
partition near the beginning of the drive, things will work fine.  Once
LILO loads vmlinuz (with the help of the BIOS), the BIOS becomes a
non-issue.  Linux has kernel code to emulate the FPU, so even floating
point code will work (slowly).

This box might make a great X-Term.  Drop in a NIC (eg 3Com509) and you
can have a second 'seat' on another linux box.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]