Linux-Misc Digest #544, Volume #25               Thu, 24 Aug 00 10:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died) (Tony Lawrence)
  Re: joe (the editor) scaling problems ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Good books ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows (mlw)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Fabian Gebhardt)
  Re: XFree86 vs Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PPP and the death of two modems (Kermit Lowry, III)
  Console on serial line (Werner =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChnert?=)
  Re: joe (the editor) scaling problems (David Grogan)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: joe (the editor) scaling problems ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? ( George Jefferson)
  Re: gcc problems (Florian Schmidt)
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows (James Helferty)
  mirroring an hd (Emilio Federici)
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (China Black & Blue)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT (John Hasler)
  Re: Help: Linux crashes (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: mirroring an hd (The Contact)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 10:06:53 GMT

Quentin Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer) wrote in <8o0b86$pl5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:>M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
:>: Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.
:>You can do that as well. mount -rno remount /;
: When I try that mount command, I get an error that / is busy.

Well, of course. You are on it. Go away. And stop whatever daemons are
running on it (and next time, learn to partition properly .. /var should
not be on /). You'll find it helpful to send init to level S, and then
kill daemons one by one. You can bring the init level back up later.

: If I try the e2fsck command it warns me that I could corrupt data running it on
: currently mounted partitions, so I figured I better not :)

Ignore it. It's fine on a ro partition, but you'lll have to reboot
immediately afterwards if any changes were made. Owww.

: I tried booting from a (pair of) disks I made when I installed linux (slackware
: 7.0) and they can't read the hard drive partition to get the e2fsck program, so

Sure they can. Get this nonsense out of your head. Find your own
perceptual error!

: I tried copying it to a floppy, but I can't mount /dev/fd0 - there is a line in

Sure you can. How else are you managing to boot from one!

: fstab about /dev/fd2 - but that comes up as being special (something, can't
: remember ATM), and it won't fit on the boot (root) floppy.

: Any suggestions?

Stop fscking up, and stop confusing yourself. There is no problem and you
don't have to create any ... if you have a concrete problem to solve, post
it, with clear error messages and command lines, and you will get the
first step in the solution posted to you. When you have fixed that, move
on to the next.

As to your partition being busy when you try and remount it readonly,
well, natch. Unbusy it.

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:23:00 -0400

Barry Gold wrote:

> So I run Windoze on my home machine so I can have the use of Word and
> suchlike programs.  But if I had my druthers, I'd run Solaris or Linux
> and something like Merge (a Windoze emulator for Unix).

So why not have your druthers?  See
http://pcunix.com/Reviews/win4lin.html

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: joe (the editor) scaling problems
Date: 24 Aug 2000 10:22:10 GMT

David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: these don't seem to help.  If anyone has had this problem in the past or
: knows what a terminfo file is and how to edit/understand it, I'd GREATLY

You don't want to edit or change it. It describes the capabilities of
yours (and others) terminals. It's either right or not. If the
description assigned to your terminal within that file is
not right for your terminal, select a different description by
changing your TERM variable. As a last resort you could make up
your own description, but I doubt that there's a terminal in
existence that's not already described.

If your terminal is not the standard size, type "resize". This will
check it out using ansi escape sequences. If that doesn't get anywhere,
set the vars ROWS and COLUMNS yourself, which is all that "resize" will
try and do anyway.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Good books
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:22:53 GMT

In article <DnZo5.285205$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Rod,

Sorry that I didn't specify more exact what I ment.
A book about Linux and networking is ok because it's a quiet large
subject, the books I don't want is books that just picks one topic from
e.g. networking.

Ex: Linux&Network->TCP/IP=Not interested in, yet
    Linux&Network=Great.

/Fredrik

> > It makes sense to buy 1-3 general-purpose Linux books, but beyond
that
> (and arguably even at the 2 and especially 3 points, depending upon
the
> specific books), you'll get little out of subsequent books. _Running
> Linux_ is a perennial favorite general-purpose book, but it's not Red
> Hat-specific. If you want to build up a library of Linux books, you'll
> really need to go into specific stuff -- perhaps not TCP/IP
> specifically, but networking, important (to you) applications, etc.
I've

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:43:13 GMT

> The backtick key is used as a meta-character.
> the first time you press it, you get the character code message.
> Hitting it again, gives you the character itself.
> I'm typing this in joe, just to prove it works...
> `````````````````````````````````````````````````
> :)

Strange... it works: ``````` :)  Thanks.

But... previously it worked like a single-button char.
(I remember that I should not press this button twice).

How could it be?

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:13:58 -0400

paul snow wrote:
[snip]

> XML can be used to define a program in abstract.  A single, separate
> Software Rendering Facility can be used to take a program's abstract form in
> XML and render it to the target computer system.
>
> XML can be used to capture the options required for this rendering.
>
> XML can be used to refer to a group of programs in abstract (XML), and their
> options (XML), in order to define a single definition that can be expressed
> in different ways on different computer systems to construct an operational,
> distributed application.  (Unlike today, where we have to install every web
> server, every firewall, every Java JDK, every etc.  all from scratch, with
> one mistake preventing any of it from working!)
>
> This discussion about how XML might be used along with Linux to create a new
> concept in Operating Systems is beginning.  We have the technology and the
> know how.  We just have to take our computer system, set it on its side and
> view it a bit differently.   This technology is going to completely change
> the rules of software configuration, management, and security, and you can
> make it happen.

This who XML hysteria worries me. We have people thinking that it is
something other than a very inefficient text based file format. Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE RESULTSET SYSTEM "http://fubar.com/fubar.dtd">
<RESULTSET>
  <RESULT ID="0" >
    <MATCHES>0</MATCHES>
    <TIME>0.1605</TIME>
    <RATINGS>0</RATINGS>
    <MAXSCORE>2510</MAXSCORE>
    <SCORE>6947</SCORE>
    <SIZE>6536</SIZE>
    <LANGUAGE>_LANG1_</LANGUAGE>
    <DATE>957148708</DATE>
    <FORMAT>0</FORMAT>
    <MODDATE>0</MODDATE>
  </RESULT>
</RESULTSET>

That's all that XML is, nothing more. It can not replace programs, it is
not a new concept in operating systems.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Fabian Gebhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:52:53 +0200

Quentin Christensen wrote:

> When I try that mount command, I get an error that / is busy.

First go in single user mode!

        root@router:~ # init S

Then the mount command should work.
--
CU, Fabian Gebhardt

   E-Mail:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ICQ#:        77948091
   Homepage:    http://www.ki.tng.de/~gebhardt
   Schul-Seite: http://www.ebg.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XFree86 vs Windows
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:37:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Chris Severn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Also motion graphics quality is much
>> better in Windows.

> That's true for the implementations of video in X which I've seen (comparing
> the playing of VCDs using xanim with using the Windows Media Player).  Is it
> necessarily true of the linux/X platform, or is it just the applications
> I've seen ?

This will _probably_ improve with DRI, once XFree86 4.0+ becomes
widespread. But don't quote me on that, as I'm not an X guru.

--
Matt Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Kermit Lowry, III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP and the death of two modems
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:54:13 GMT

 In the last 4 months I have had two modems die a slow and painful
death.  Here is the environment - pentium II 400 clone, mandrake 6.0
(dual boot with NT 4.0) with KDE.
A few weeks after the Mandrake installation ( I installed mandrake on a
new second drive) I started receiving the "ppp daemon died
unexpectedly" message and tried different options, including a
reinstall of mandrake to correct the problem.  After about a week of
receiving the message the modem died.  Not even the NT boot would
activate the modem ( my RAS is still messed up).
I bought a PCI modem next and mandrake would never recognize the modem
so I got an ISA (BEST DATA) modem.  The ppp error continued.  I tried
setting noauth and a few other suggested configurations parameters in
the ppp configuration file as well as upgrading and downgrading the
version of ppp and kpppload.  All to no avail.  I still received the
error msg and then two days ago I started receiving a "no dialtone"
error from kppp dialup.  The phone line is fine: I am able to dial out
on another pc.
My question(s) is/be: why are the modems dying? is it coincedence or is
it ppp?  is there a secret to getting a pci modem to work?  should rudy
have won survivor?

TIA for any assistance.

Kermit Lowry

--
================
"Only you can prevent forest fires!" -Smoky

This input does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer.

From: Werner =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChnert?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Console on serial line
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:27:46 +0200

Hi all,

I would like to install a LILO/kernel (2.2.16) combination which will
use the first serial line (COM1) as it's console. Can anybody give me
some hints, what I have to do ?

TIA
Werner Kühnert

--
Werner Kuehnert Siemens AG Oesterreich PSE EZE PN DN 1
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:36:11 -0400

First of all, thanks for the educational response about terminfo and
termcap, I had no idea what they were.  I tried resize but it wasnt to
be found, tried setenv'ing rows and columns to no avail.  But I DID find
a utility called screen that works.  I don't totally understand what it
does, but it seems to put me on the console ttya0.  Pardon me if I'm
confused with my terminology and thanks for your response.

David

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:48:24 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> :> You should use the Magic SysRq key to resync your hard disks, remount all
> :> partitions read only and THEN and only then reboot.
>
> : Glad to hear it. Where is the action of the SysRq key documented, pray tell?
>
> It's been a well known secret for ages. Used to be patches, then it got
>
> into the kernel mainstream, and now it's a compile option.

Well it is still a secret from me. Perhaps it is compiled into my system.

But WHERE IS THE LIST of SysRQ options and their effects?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Aug 2000 12:46:00 GMT

David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: First of all, thanks for the educational response about terminfo and
: termcap, I had no idea what they were.  I tried resize but it wasnt to
: be found, tried setenv'ing rows and columns to no avail.  But I DID find

RESIZE(1)                                               RESIZE(1)
NAME
       resize  -  set  TERMCAP  and  terminal settings to current
       xterm window size
SYNOPSIS
       resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ]
DESCRIPTION
       Resize prints a shell command for  setting  the  TERM  and
       TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size
       of xterm window from which the command is run.   For  this
       output  to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as
       part of the command line (usually done with a shell  alias
       or  function)  or else redirected to a file which can then
       be read in.  From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh),
       the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc:
               %  alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`'
       After resizing the window, the user would type:
               %  rs
       Users of versions of the Bourne shell  (usually  known  as
       /bin/sh)  that  don't  have command functions will need to
       send the output to a temporary file and the read  it  back
       in with the ``.'' command:
               $  resize > /tmp/out
               $  . /tmp/out

: a utility called screen that works.  I don't totally understand what it
: does, but it seems to put me on the console ttya0.  Pardon me if I'm

Screen indeed starts up a terminal in a text mode console under its
control. Why don't you just switch to the console, if the TERM
description is adequate for your purposes! (ctrl-alt-FN, for
N=1,2,3...).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( George Jefferson )
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 13:05:46 GMT

:well, try:
:
:touch somecmd\ \<\ input.txt\ \>\ output.txt
:
:It might actually create a file called:
:   "somecmd < input.txt > output.txt"

then post a note to alt.unix asking how to get rid of it <g>

--
george jefferson : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
to reply simply press "r"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Florian Schmidt)
Subject: Re: gcc problems
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:07:16 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:46:02 -0400, kosty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>BTW, how can I copy the text of any output from a console -- in KDE -- and
>paste it when writing these posts?  I've tried redirecting them to a text file.

u can select the text. then leave the text selected. move over to your
useneteditor and put the curser, where u want to. then press the
middle button and the text selected in your other window should get
pasted into your editor...

--
Florian Schmidt

From: James Helferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 24 Aug 2000 13:02:13 GMT

mlw wrote:

> paul snow wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > XML can be used to define a program in abstract.  A single, separate
> > Software Rendering Facility can be used to take a program's abstract form in
> > XML and render it to the target computer system.
> >
> > XML can be used to capture the options required for this rendering.
> >
> > XML can be used to refer to a group of programs in abstract (XML), and their
> > options (XML), in order to define a single definition that can be expressed
> > in different ways on different computer systems to construct an operational,
> > distributed application.  (Unlike today, where we have to install every web
> > server, every firewall, every Java JDK, every etc.  all from scratch, with
> > one mistake preventing any of it from working!)
> >
> > This discussion about how XML might be used along with Linux to create a new
> > concept in Operating Systems is beginning.  We have the technology and the
> > know how.  We just have to take our computer system, set it on its side and
> > view it a bit differently.   This technology is going to completely change
> > the rules of software configuration, management, and security, and you can
> > make it happen.
>
> This who XML hysteria worries me. We have people thinking that it is
> something other than a very inefficient text based file format. Example:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE RESULTSET SYSTEM "http://fubar.com/fubar.dtd">
> <RESULTSET>
>   <RESULT ID="0" >
>     <MATCHES>0</MATCHES>
>     <TIME>0.1605</TIME>
>     <RATINGS>0</RATINGS>
>     <MAXSCORE>2510</MAXSCORE>
>     <SCORE>6947</SCORE>
>     <SIZE>6536</SIZE>
>     <LANGUAGE>_LANG1_</LANGUAGE>
>     <DATE>957148708</DATE>
>     <FORMAT>0</FORMAT>
>     <MODDATE>0</MODDATE>
>   </RESULT>
> </RESULTSET>
>
> That's all that XML is, nothing more. It can not replace programs, it is
> not a new concept in operating systems.

[nod]  It's good for storing databases as text, which means it makes
sense to integrate it with HTML.  But if you start using it for other
things, it becomes kinda.. fruity..

'Sides, I remember reading on Slashdot that Helix Gnome already uses an
XML installer.  You might want to look into that before you reinvent the
wheel.  (Note that their implementation doesn't really make for any
enhancements either; supposedly their upgrades aren't all that
flexible.  They do say they're working on something called Red Carpet,
so maybe take a look at that..)

The only advantage you'll get out of using XML is that your datafiles
will allow users to be able to figure out (if they know XML) what's in
the file.  It's really no different, usage-wise, from the windows .ini
spec, except that you can nest things deeper, and it takes a lot more
programming to parse the bloody things.

James
http://chat.carleton.ca/~jhelfert

------------------------------

From: Emilio Federici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: mirroring an hd
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:16:01 +0200

Hi everybody!, I'm about to change my old hd to a new one and I'd like
to know which is the best way to move the whole Linux system from the
old to the new hd, so that I can boot Linux from the new hd as I did
with old one.

Thanks!
--
Emilio Federici
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (China Black & Blue)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:18:02 -0700

/ :well, try:
/ :
/ :touch somecmd\ \<\ input.txt\ \>\ output.txt
/ :
/ :It might actually create a file called:
/ :   "somecmd < input.txt > output.txt"
/
/ then post a note to alt.unix asking how to get rid of it <g>

rm "./somecmd*"

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Sign up for WASHINGTON MUTUAL BANK's special
We Rob You While You Sleep Service TODAY!
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
CACS: Collective Against Consensual Sanity       v0.123
Now a text site map http://www.tsoft.com/~wyrmwif/cacs/
pretty?     http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/5079/
:)-free zone.                 Elect LUM World Dictator!

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:17:20 -0400

John Hasler wrote:

> Peter writes:
> > It [SysRq] has been a well known secret for ages. Used to be patches,
> > then it got into the kernel mainstream, and now it's a compile option.
>
> It's documented in Documentation/syrq.txt in the kernel source.  Print it
> out and keep it with your printed copy of your partition table.

Thanks. On my machine, it is known as /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

                                                                     ^

                                                                     ^

I tried it a bit (Only with Sync at first). If I do it from an xterm in
GNOME, I cannot tell if it does anything or not. So I did Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
logged in to a regular CLI. Then it sort of works. (I tried only Alt-SysRq-s
and Alt-SysRq-p). It said it was doing an emergency Sync (or something like
that), but it never said OK or Done (I waited over 30 seconds). It did print
out the registers and such with Alt-SysRq-p. It also would not let go of the
terminal. I tried Ctrl-C and it looked as thought it let go, but the
terminal modes were such that I could not do anything, and Ctrl-D would not
get me off, nor would exit.

I tried Alt-SysRq-z, as suggested in sysrq.txt, to loosen it up, and it
printed out the names of the legal commands, but still would not let go. So
I did Ctrl-Alt-F2, logged in, and killed everything on Tty1, and things are
now back to normal.

So I am still not sure if it does anything from GNOME/Enlightenment-X Window
System (where I usually run) or not. And I am a little troubled that it does
not seem to work exactly as I expect from the document you cited. (Running
Red Hat Linux 6.0 with lots of rpm's) as distributed by VA Linux Systems.
Kernel is presently 2.2.14-5.0.14csmp

--

Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Aug 2000 09:19:54 -0400

"Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Really? And what was that? pdp-11? ;-)

pdp-11 running vms or unix is more stable than windows.  you try
mockery, but you just reveal your own ignorance.  the joke is on you.

get a clue and learn to put responses *under* the text you are
responding to.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:21:02 GMT

Ingemar Lundin writes:
> Really? And what was that? pdp-11? ;-)

The PDP-11 was a minicomputer, not an operating system.  And I don't know
about the person who you failed to give proper creit to was using 25 years
abo, but I was using MTS at the University of Michigan on their Amdahl
mainframes.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Linux crashes
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:38:14 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think Linux is a very immature, amateur OS. That's the main problem.
> You should get Windows 2000 instead. It's an awesome OS. Doesn't crash
> at all. Very stable.

I have Windows 95 on my other (dual-boot W95/Linux) machine. When I first
got that machine, it crashed every day, even though I turned it on for
only a few hours a day.  And it withered away with memory leaks. I kept
downloading updates, etc., from Microsoft and got it to where it crashed
(Blue Screen Of Death) only about three times  a week. I then did an
upgrade and now W95 almost never crashes (though the Microsoft
applications still do). The upgrade was that I run Linux on the machine
most of the time, and Windows only a few hours a week. I need Windows only
to run Quicken 99 and TurboTax.

This machine does not really crash. I had the X Window system lock up a
few times, but pressing Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace allows me to restart that and
everything else keeps running. Except one time when X was so messed up
that I could not continue. I waited for the background process to complete
and rebooted.

I rebooted this system a couple of times when I got too confused to figure
out what I had done wrong, once when I had some hardware trouble with my
DDS-2 tape drive (replaced it), once when I connected the printer to the
parallel port, and once when I connect the NIC to the other computer.

I can get a Blue Screen Of Death on this (Linux-Only) machine, but that is
because they have a screensaver that puts it up, to the amusement of me
and the consternation of others who see it. It is so realistic that the
first time it came up, I reached for the panic button, but managed to
restrain myself in time.

From: The Contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mirroring an hd
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:39:40 GMT

Emilio Federici wrote:

> Hi everybody!, I'm about to change my old hd to a new one and I'd like
> to know which is the best way to move the whole Linux system from the
> old to the new hd, so that I can boot Linux from the new hd as I did
> with old one.
>
> Thanks!

If you have a rescue-disk (or a mini-distribution of linux, or a
bootable linux-cd) you can use dd.
Let's say that your first hd is hda. Just plug in the new hd (hdc f.i.),
and reboot with the resue/bootable-cd/minidistro. Then all you have to
do is

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc

This copies the entire harddisk to the new. If the new one is bigger (or
you want to have another setup of partitions) you should first place the
new hd as hda, partition it how you want and then, for each partition
you had on you old drive (which is now set as hdc)

# if=/dev/hdc# of=/dev/hda#

This should do the trick. Don't forget to keep the old hd (don't erase
it) until you're sure everything is all right.

I haven't tried this myself, so please post feedback/results.

WKR,
--
The Contact
"Knowledge should be free; appliance not."