Linux-Misc Digest #698, Volume #19                Fri, 2 Apr 99 03:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: IRQ's (DaZZa)
  Gatekeeper for Linux??? (Surfer Netzbetrieb)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs? (Harry)
  Re: Rvplayer 5.0 problems and linux 2.2 (Michel)
  Re: IE5 under Linux (Michel)
  Newbie has questions ("Kevin")
  Re: exchange client that runs on LInux (Mike)
  Re: Linux on a non-state-of-the-art PC ? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: licq problem (Matthew Bafford)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the  Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Matthew Bafford)
  AMD compilers ("Cary")
  Re: X11Amp (Andreas Schyman)
  Re: MBR,Lilo,Red Hat 5.2,Installation (Villy Kruse)
  Re: data base (Elmo Recio)
  Re: Removing Ontrack Disk Manager (Michel)
  Re: newsreader for linux ("Gero H. Marten")

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ's
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:00:29 +1000

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Erik A. Mogensen wrote:

> Is there a way under Linux to see what IRQ's are being used by the
> system?  Something similiar to rmview in OS/2 would be great.  Is there
> a utility like that fo Linux?

cd /proc
cat irqs

DaZZa

------------------------------

From: Surfer Netzbetrieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gatekeeper for Linux???
Date: 1 Apr 1999 07:10:36 GMT

Hello

I`m looking for a Gatekeeper Software, especially something like the
ACE-Server from Security Dynamics. I`ve to build a secured Remote-Login
via Modem.
Does anybody have a suggestion?

Bye, Christian

Please send Answers direct to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 02:13:56 -0500

> Oh, why won't you just use the pico editor...

Duh! Try following the thread! I've found a perfectly good text
editor and have no interest in other text editors. I was expressing
an opinion that vi ain't any good and others were leaping to its
defence.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Rvplayer 5.0 problems and linux 2.2
Date: 1 Apr 1999 21:56:06 -0600

==============4162FDD4BC69904F772A3505

Joel Kreager wrote:

> --
> I have been trying to get rvplayer5.0 to work on my 2.2 linux system
> for a couple of weeks now - no success so far.  I tried the idea of
> writing nulls into the realplayer executable -- didn't work for me at
> all.  After searching around on dejanews I found the following
> program, but I have been unable to compile it successfully.

<snip>

> Any help getting this to compile would be appreciated.  If there is
> some better solution I would certainly like to hear about it as well.
> My system is running glibc2.1 if that might be part of the reason for
> difficulties, though from my meager knowledge of C I should not be
> allowed to redefine a function like open() appears to be here.
> ------------------
> Joel Kreager
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just run this script where rv is
It worked for me, if it doesn't work for you download the lastest version rv 5.0

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=657586 conv=notrunc
dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=665986 conv=notrunc

From: Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: 1 Apr 1999 21:59:08 -0600

"Robert J. Hansen" wrote:

> it through the SCO compatability libs.  I think MS IE5 wouldn't be any
> different, although I do wonder why the heck you'd want to try it.

Masochist!
We go to great lenght to remove this shit of winblows 98 and some people are
willing to infect their Linux with it, go figure!

From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie has questions
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:22:34 -0600

I installed red hat 5.1 with a dual boot with nt server, I have q windows
working with a regular mouse but it wouldn't fly with my logitech first
mouse. I have a few questions.
1., How do I get linux to mount my nt drive.
2.,In X windows /control panel I can see my modem and it is connected on the
right com port, but what do I need to do to configure a dial out connection.
Can it be done in x windows? The book I have just talks about networking all
in command line.
3., How do I go about getting a win 95 box connected. The win 95 is already
connected to the nt partition and has dial out as well.
4., Xwindows only flys when I'm root, with othe users it just hangs at the
checkered screen.
5., In command line DIPS says go away when I enter dips -i. I'm in root at
the time.
Thanks for any help I get. I would appreciate if I could be emailed copy's
of the replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks
Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: Re: exchange client that runs on LInux
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:44:39 GMT

You're last sentence is exactly the problem. The exchange admins won't
enable it. My company is a Microsoft Solution Provider and as far as I
know I'm the only one in the company who is using Linux, so it'll be a
tough sell to say the least. Does anyone know if the Exchange client
will run under wine? Just thought of that, haven't researched it so
maybe that might be an option?
mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux on a non-state-of-the-art PC ?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 01:30:34 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T Ojala)
spake unto us, saying:

>I'm not familiar with Linux and I've received some very contradictory
>information on Linux's usefulness when using rather old Intel
>hardware.

Probably because "Linux" can refer to a fairly heavy desktop OS with a
distributed GUI, or to a very light text-mode OS that runs in 8MB, and
the resource requirements of Netscape Navigator have also changed quite
drastically from version 2 to version 4.5.

I'd guess that Netscape 2.0x running under X would be okay on a 486
with 16MB.  Certainly a lot faster than 4.5 would be.  :-)

>On one hand, I found a web site (starting from www.linux.org, under
>something like "Why Linux is better...") stating that Linux is well
>capable of running Netscape on a 486, 8 MB platform. On the other, a
>colleague said that Pentium 133 or better with 64 MB is good (after
>having had some problems with Pentium 233/32).
>
>So, simply: is there somebody out there who is using Linux + Netscape
>on a platform similar to the first one mentioned? Did you spend months
>to get it running? Is it really running smoothly (ie can you really
>surf the net with it)?

I have a 486DX4/100 w/20MB here running Red Hat 5.1, and while I can
certainly use Netscape 4.x and surf the net with it, it can be VERY
slow to load things.  Once the software is loaded it's fine -- usable
but not particularly fast.  So I don't use the 486 for that.  :-)

I'd recommend Pentium-class hardware and at least 32MB myself, at least
if you're interested in running semi-large applications like the newer
Netscape flavors.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 01:54:31 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>> PMFJI: I'm not the original person you desponded to, but some
>> comments
>
>Oh, boy! I'm getting a severe case of deja-vu here!

I know.  I saw something like four copies of everything.  Like someone
did a Usenet spew in a really bad way.  :-(

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +
    WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + MacOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                 It doesn't work, but it looks pretty.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 01:48:53 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Richard Steiner wrote:
>
>> might not be what WE want? <
>
>And here was I thinking that the comments were about end-users, and
>not you and I!

I'm not a programmer in a Linux context.  Here, I *am* an end user.
Perhaps more technical than many, but...

>Actually you made two unwarranted assumptions about what I said:
>
>You assumed that I was comparing a GUI to a CLI - I'm not. There's
>easy to use software and poorly designed software in both camps.

I was using the CLI versus GUI discussion as one of the most common
examples where vastly different UIs are seen as "superior" by very
different people for very different but perfectly valid reasons.

Sorry that it appeared that I was only addressing that.  I meant it as
an illustration of UI subjectivity, not the main focus for discussion.

>You assumed I'm comparing Windows software to Linux software. I'm
>not - I'm comparing well-designed software to poorly designed
>software.

I've not seem much which was clearly in one camp or the other, since
almost all software is a mixed bag.  Telemate under DOS was wonderful,
perhaps.  The OS/2 WPS has some elegant qualities.  The Windows GUI
has some good elements, but things like Windows NT 4 file selection
dialogs suck so bad it makes me want to SCREAM every time I have to
try and figure out which drives are what on the Novell LAN.  :-(

Since you seemed to be describing things in terms of Windows being
acceptable and Linux not, that seemed a natural direction.  But I do
agree that it's not the focus.  The UI is the focus.

>I fully accept your points about subjectiveness, but still find
>(some/much) Unix software a pain. And I still wouldn't put end-
>users on Unix/Linux. Not yet, at least.

Not unless you have end-users who are using a box with only user privs,
and where a central helpdesk a/o systems administration entity exists.

Right now, for "typical" end users, I don't usually recommend it unless
they seem interested in learning about it.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +
    WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + MacOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
             Features should be discovered, not documented!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Subject: Re: licq problem
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:05:24 GMT

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:17:04 -0600 -- Jason McNorton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
-> Anyone have any ideas how to get around this error:
->
-> [ERR] IniFile:  Warning.  I/O read error.
->            File = /home/user/.licq/conf/owner.uin
->            Error = No such file or directory
-> [ERR] IniFile: Fatal error, terminating program.
->
-> Does it the first time I run the program after I put in my password, and
-> then it'll do it each time after.. Oh, I think it complains about a
-> another licq.something.gz in /usr/local too, but I don't have that.
-> Should I?   Thanks for any help.

Yep, put it in /usr/local.  It's part of the licq tarball.

--Matthew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:05:31 GMT

1 Apr 1999 05:23:21 GMT -- brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
-> The Perl configure questions are easy to answer: just hit return and
-> take the default.  (I always use -d to force it so it can run the
-> configure while I get a smoke.)
->
-> Though you do want to watch the configure run a few times just because
-> there is a lot of humor buried in the process.

Unfortunatly, the more backwards your system, the more humor you get. :-)

A standard system with everything like it should be just isn't as much fun
to watch...

--Matthew

------------------------------

From: "Cary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD compilers
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:50:05 -0600

    I'm just a newbie that has been lurking for the past several months and
have not seen this addressed anywhere.  I recall reading some place that the
compiler that Linux uses to make bianaries is optimized for Intel (and Intel
compatible) x86 chips.  Also, I believe the Linux Documentation Project said
when compiling a kernel for non-Intel chips, use the "make for 386" (or
something like that) command.
    My question: does a compiler exist that has been optimized for the newer
K6 chips from AMD?  If so, where do (can) I download it?  Or, is this a
pointless endeavor because of the speed at which they run?
    If I have misunderstood any concepts or need correcting, please email
me, just take the "no_spam_please" out of the address.  Thanks to everyone
who can help me better understand.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Schyman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: X11Amp
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:11:58 +0000

Gary Portnoy wrote:

> I finally got my Maestro-1 sound card working.  Even if it is in 8bit
> mode.  Now, I can output files to /dev/dsp and /dev/audio.   However
> when I run x11amp, I get an error of "Couldn't open audio"  This doesn't
> happen if I am root.  When I am root mp3's play fine...  Any
> suggestions?

You must change the permissions of /dev/dsp and /dev/audio. Try doing:

chmod 755 /dev/dsp
chmod 755 /dev/audio

as root and that should fix the problem.

Andreas.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: MBR,Lilo,Red Hat 5.2,Installation
Date: 1 Apr 1999 10:15:22 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jas Sandhu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am trying to install Redhat 5.2.
>When Lilo is installed and asks where to install
>the bootloader the 2 options are:
> 1. MBR
> 2. 1st sector of boot partition.

>and since i chose option 2, how can i make the
>1st sector of the linux boot partition the active
>partition.

When you install the lilo loader into a linux partition, you need
to instruct the MBR loader to load the loader in that linux partition.
You do that by making that partition the active partition instead of the
win/dos partition.

There are many advantages of doing it this way, one of them is that
whatever you do windows won't trash the lilo loader, and you won't have
any problems inustalling the lilo loader if you one decide that you want
to get rid of the linux partition.  How many times do you see the cry for
help on one of these ngs 'I got rid of linux but how do I get rid of LILO'

Villy

------------------------------

From: Elmo Recio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: data base
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 01:41:19 -0500

==============7500E5BF215D23584CC5C6B3

==============ABE378606ADAD7D4230D32CC

Christopher Browne wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:07:08 +0200, Matthias Warkus
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It was the Tue, 30 Mar 1999 05:30:29 GMT...
> >..and Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:54:21 -0500, Rick Knebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<BLAH>

> - There is not, as far as I know, any Linux-based tool for building GUI
> apps that is "database-table-aware."

Two statements:

ORACLE 8.0.5 (Linux); ORACLE DEVELOPER 2000 & WINE

--
"We're really missing you
 and you've only just gone

==============ABE378606ADAD7D4230D32CC

Christopher Browne wrote:
&lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]></blockquote>
&lt;BLAH>
GUI

<pre></pre>

<pre>Two statements:</pre>

<pre>ORACLE 8.0.5 (Linux); ORACLE&nbsp;DEVELOPER 2000 &amp;&nbsp;WINE</pre>

<pre>--&nbsp;
"We're really missing you
&nbsp;and you've only just gone
&nbsp;You were punched, you fell, and
&nbsp;you felt embarrassed
&nbsp;My heart goes out to you
&nbsp;So I offered love and it was not
&nbsp;Required
&nbsp;What else can I do?"
-Morrissey (Sunny)</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============ABE378606ADAD7D4230D32CC==

==============7500E5BF215D23584CC5C6B3

begin:vcard
n:Recio;Elmo
tel;pager:215-314-2622
tel;cell:215-681-5612
tel;fax:215-503-2OIT
tel;home:215-563-3555
tel;work:215-503-0991
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://polywog.navpoint.com
org:Thomas Jefferson University;Office of Information Technology
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:SysAdmin @ Marr
adr;quoted-printable:;;2220 Walnut Street=0D=0A#502;Philadelphia;PA;19103;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:207.206.42.28;15520
fn:Elmo Recio
end:vcard

From: Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Removing Ontrack Disk Manager
Date: 1 Apr 1999 22:11:02 -0600

Harry wrote:

> If you go to Quantum's Web site you can download Disk Manager, a DOS
> utility that lets you do all kinds of things, including install and
> remove Ontrack. (The utility seems to work fine with non-Quantum
> disks.)
>
> Harry

There must be at least one Quantum drive in the system for that.
I have the Ontrack version of Western Digital and it requires that one of the
drives be Western Digital. Each company has it's own version of On Track.
The only way I found here was to remove the partition and recreate partitions.

From: "Gero H. Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newsreader for linux
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 00:00:54 +0200

Daniel Franzen wrote:

> Are there any stable newsreader for linux ? I don't want to use
> communicator anymore , it crashes to often.

Why and when does NS crash? I use it to manage ca. 25 newsgroups with
about 1000 new messages a day. It hasn't crashed for weeks.

--
Gero H. Marten
<http://www.provi.de/gmarten/index.html>