From: "AURELIA NORAN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE theme mgr and libpng.so problem
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:23:38 +1000

I am trying to install KDE theme mgr.

After I run "configure", then "make" from the KDE thememgr inst directory, I
get errors reported from libpng.so - something with commands not understood
by the lib. I have tried reinstalling libpng, but to no avail. RedHat Linux
5.2.

Is there an updated libpng.so I do not know about and which thememgr is
trying to use ?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: William Knechtel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: True Type Conversion???
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 23:45:41 -0600

Greetings!

I have already successfully install a flawlessly working X Font Server
for True Types... however it seems that neither Star Office or Word
Perfect talk to any of the X Font Servers.  I know there is a TT Font
COnverter out there that will convert from TT to Type 1, but I cant for
the life of me find it.  I have the T1Utils  Package to help me in the
install of Type 1 fonts, but still need to convert my True types over to
t1 so that Word Perfect and Star Office will see them...  Can someone be
so kind as to point me in the direction of the converter??  Thanks in
advance,

Bill

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix
Subject: Re: Here is a HOWTO I wrote on loopback encrypted filesystems for linux.
Date: 6 Sep 1999 06:26:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Ryan T. Rhea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
: --------------D42002ADF597FBA09C431F48

: I have seen a lot of posts requesting information on encrypted
: filesystems for linux.  I wrote this HOWTO in response.   This

MIME sucks.

--
Big Daddy

------------------------------

From: Craig Brozefsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Marx vs. Nozick
Date: 05 Sep 1999 23:48:11 -0500

Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My point was that not all employers are such assholes. For example,
> mine isn't. I have a strict policy of not working anywhere that wants
> me to pee in a cup or work a specific set of hours or any shit like
> that. Under this policy I am making enough money that in a few years I
> will be able to live solely off of equity and not labor, i.e. become a
> capitalist. Whoops!  I forgot!  Social mobility is impossible! There's
> no way someone whose parents were once on welfare could rise to join
> the capitalist class.

I believe that the notion that social mobility is impossible is not
based on income, but on class consciousness, which class you identify
with, and that others identify you with.  The Berverly HillBillies may
serve as an object of study, a caricature of the old truism that
social mobility is impossible.  I think that social mobility is not
possible for any man of conscience.

I have the same stuation as you when it comes to employers, a lovely
understanding that I do not need to be in the office, sober, or
straight to perform my job duties.  And like you, I should hope, I am
acutely aware that my lucky position is quite the anomoly, and that
99.999 percent of the people around me do not have the same luck.
Therefor I do not feel comfortable using my situation to make
judgements about social mobility, even tho I too came from a poor
family, homeless for a time.  While I'm choosing my own hours and
sitting in my $800 dollar office chair, my old school chums are
breaking apart gigantic chunks of frozen vegetables with a big steel
rod in a giant freezer on the late shift at a packing plant, or
playing the corporate peon game for less than a fourth of what I make.
I'm more inclined to attribute this disparity to a combination of luck
and a freaked out economy that over-values people with my particular
skill set, than I am to some notion of social mobility.  And we're
only talking about a very small part of the planet, I was born to 1st
world parents who could read!

You can claim that you have transcended your class, holding up your
pay stub and bank account statement truimphantly, but if you got any
heart, when you take a look outside of the very narrow band of the
world that we are moving in, you'll find yourself very quickly.  You
are one of the fuckees, they might let you do some fucking, but the
real fuckers will make sure you know who greases who before long.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Maintaining 2 Networks
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:20:32 +0100

I certainly do.  I use my linux machine as a Firewall/Gateway for my other machine to
get onto the internet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guy Macon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: 06 Sep 1999 00:53:54 PDT

In article <7qvpr3$v0v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Joe Cosby) wrote:

>** To reply in e-mail, remove "rokwak." from address **
>
>Guy Macon hunched over his computer, typing feverishly;
>thunder crashed, Guy Macon laughed madly, then wrote:
>> In article <7qukv8$dvr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(Joe Cosby) wrote:
>>
>> >If the basic concepts (what is a file, what is a program, GUI
>> >elements, directory structure) were introduced first, I think
>> >real computer literacy would rise.
>>
>> This is the wrong direction to go.  Files, programs, and directories
>> are a classic case of the human interface being a one to one
>> representation of the internal structure of the program.  Calling a
>> directory a Folder doesn't change that.  I can learn how to drive
>> a car or to use the telephone network without knowing the internal
>> details.  Who says that the way CP-M and Unix organized information
>> is the most understandable for humans?
>>

>Not the particular directory structure, but what is a 'directory
>structure' at all.
>
>Given a mass storage device, files will be stored in a series of
>directories, each directory can have subdirectories, etc.

You are desribing the internal organization used by the system
software.  There is no reason why the human interface has to match
the internal organization, and many reasons why you might want to
organize the human interface differently.  Look at what we are doing
right now.  This discussion is presented to me as newsgroups which
contain articles.  the directory structure and whether all the posts
are seperate files or entries in a relational database.  Look at the
WWW.  You and I know that it is based on Unix style directories, but
many users only see hyperlinks and pages on their screens.

>I'm talking about beginners, here.

Me too.

>People really don't know that.  People can run Windows/MS software
>and not know that.

Nor do they have to.  There was a time when you needed to understand
spark advance to operate an automobile.  Now it is quite possible
to operate one without ever learning how to open the hood or to add
gasoline to the tank.

>People don't know what is going on when they 'start a program'.
>They don't know what happens when you 'save a program'.

Nor should they.  When I work on a word processing document I am
faced with the internal implementation detail of fast storage that
dies when power is removed and doesn't require names (RAM) and
slower storage that survives a power failure and requires filenames.
Why should the user need to know any of this?

>The human interface -should- be a one to one representation of the
>system internals, economy and elegance are -always- preferable.
>
>An automobile driver presses the gas to accelerate, releases the
>gas to cease adding power, presses the brake to decelerate, turns
>the wheel to direct the car.  There is a one to one relation
>between the interface and the major functions of the system.

There is a a one to one relation between the interface and the
functions that the user needs to do (stop, go, steer), but there
is not a one to one relation between the interface and the internal
implementation details.  Manual shifting is a good example of a one
to one relation between the interface and the internal implementation
details, and manual shifting makes it harder to learn how to drive.
An ideal car would be an automatic that a power user could switch
into manual shifting mode.  An ideal car would also not give you
two seperate ways to shed speed with different interfaces (brakes
and engine braking).  An ideal car would have the brake pedal control
the brakes and the compression braking (with a power user mode that
gives full control).

>Even something as basic as 'how is data stored' can go a very long
>way towards making a computer operator, however dullwitted, a much
>better operator.  When I first ran a Wintel, I had been using an
>Amiga for years.  It took me no time to find programs, run them,
>store files, retrieve files, etc.  These things take some people
>months, and many people never really understand it.  The basics
>are universal (plus or minus a GUI).

Why should you have to find programs?  Why should you be aware of
the existance of a hard disk?

You REALLY need to read THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM.  It's
amazon.com's best selling software development book.  It even describes
what an apologist is, which fits you (and me, before I read the book!)
very well.  Look into it.  There is a better way to do things.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: 6 Sep 1999 15:31:31 +0800

On 5 Sep 1999 04:54:05 GMT, Lizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>OK, finally managed to get Linux (Redhat 6.0) installed on my PC *and*
>seeing my SDSL line (the last was the tricksy bit). Ah, at last! I shall be
>free of the eternally crashing Windows OS and the tyranny of Chairman Bill!
>Liberty shall be mine!
>
>Er...maybe.

Hmm, not a known poster, fake id, and no email address. Plus its from
newsdawg.

Looks like a clever troll to me. But hey I'm probably totally paranoid
these days.

Starts of on a lets get rid of BG, and quickly becomes a littany
of problems.

This may be Steve's best one yet?

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU-LINUX, and has been

------------------------------

From: "bono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Driver exist for Diamond's Homefree wireless?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:16:21 GMT

Hi all:

I don't know if it exist or not?  But if someone knows that it exist or know
where to get it please please
 let me know asap.   My email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Even info about
it is being developed is
very good....  I just hope that I can use it on linux...

Thank you,
Bono

------------------------------

From: Rory Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to read Chinese in Netscape Communicator 4.6?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:31:08 GMT

Hello!

Would anyone provide any ways that can read Chinese webpages in Netscape
Communicator 4.6?

Best Regards,

Rory Chan.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Steve Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange boot errors on RHL 6.0
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 23:51:14 -0400

Hi,

I'm running RHL 6.0 with the following configuration:

hda: ATAPI hard disk
hdb: Iomega ZIP (100 MB) drive
hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM drive

and using SCSI emulation in the kernel for the ZIP drive as in the dmesg
output below:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 13.A
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1
GB]
sda: Write Protect is off

Everything is OK but then I see this:

Partition check:
 sda: sda4
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 hda13 hda14
hda15 hda16 >
 hdb:<3>ide-scsi: hdb: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 0
 unable to read partition table

It appears that the kernel is trying to check the partitions on hdb, but
because the ZIP drive is being accessed as /dev/sda4, it is causing some
sort of error.  Note that this error is not causing any harm, but I
would just like to know what is causing it and, hopefully, how to get
rid of it (as I've had the same hardware configuration in RHL 5.2
without any errors).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Cheers,
-Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Cosby)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: 6 Sep 1999 07:17:55 GMT

** To reply in e-mail, remove "rokwak." from address **

Guy Macon hunched over his computer, typing feverishly;
thunder crashed, Guy Macon laughed madly, then wrote:
> In article <7qukv8$dvr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(Joe Cosby) wrote:
>
> >If the basic concepts (what is a file, what is a program, GUI
> >elements, directory structure) were introduced first, I think
> >real computer literacy would rise.
>
> This is the wrong direction to go.  Files, programs, and directories
> are a classic case of the human interface being a one to one
> representation of the internal structure of the program.  Calling a
> directory a Folder doesn't change that.  I can learn how to drive
> a car or to use the telephone network without knowing the internal
> details.  Who says that the way CP-M and Unix organized information
> is the most understandable for humans?

Not the particular directory structure, but what is a 'directory
structure' at all.

Given a mass storage device, files will be stored in a series of
directories, each directory can have subdirectories, etc.

I'm talking about beginners, here.

People really don't know that.  People can run Windows/MS software
and not know that.

People don't know what is going on when they 'start a program'.
They don't know what happens when you 'save a program'.

The human interface -should- be a one to one representation of the
system internals, economy and elegance are -always- preferable.

An automobile driver presses the gas to accelerate, releases the
gas to cease adding power, presses the brake to decelerate, turns
the wheel to direct the car.  There is a one to one relation
between the interface and the major functions of the system.

Even something as basic as 'how is data stored' can go a very long
way towards making a computer operator, however dullwitted, a much
better operator.  When I first ran a Wintel, I had been using an
Amiga for years.  It took me no time to find programs, run them,
store files, retrieve files, etc.  These things take some people
months, and many people never really understand it.  The basics
are universal (plus or minus a GUI).

That's all I'm saying.
--
Joe Cosby

Amiga Fanatic

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: 6 Sep 1999 08:07:27 GMT

Kenny wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Kenny wrote:
> > > If you don't have anthing constructive to add the just shut up.
> > > I don't understand why it is some people feel they need to abuse
> > > others. I guess it builds up their small egos or something....
> >
> > Heh, that's ironic because the reason I got into this thread was
> > because you'd been abusive to the original responder.
> >
> > Anyway, grow some balls. Wuss.
>
> The original responser was the jerk -- that's what started it.

He said to read them both and decide for yourself, and you call
that being a jerk...?

> So go gnaw on your own balls. Idiot.

Youthful arrogance, perhaps; idiocy, no.
Because we're on friendly terms now, let me get this straight.
You have

    "20 Years experience in the Computer Field
     10 Years experience as a Freelance Writer of Science and
        Technology materials, marketing information and fiction.
      7 Years Technical and Project management at U S WEST Adv.
        Technologies producing and writing technology assessment
        reports, creating and documenting methodologies, procedures
        and standards."

yet you need to ask people on Usenet which journal to read?
Do you see me asking sci.physics which journals to read?
[to save you the trouble, the answer is no, hell no, gawd what
a bunch of lunatics, blech, ppbttt, fooey]

To wrap this absurdity up (well, one can hope..), if Kenny had
used his years of wisdom and hadn't responded to the original
responder, he wouldn't have showed his hand and revealed
his insecurities to all of Usenet. And if I hadn't've responded,
I wouldn't've been drug into this mess.

If I could teach the world to sing,
In perfect harmony (perfect harmony)
I would buy the world a Coke
And keep it company...

Ooohhmaaahhnneeeeppaaayyymmaayyyyhhooooonnngggg..

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...

Peace, yo'.

--
Scott Lanning: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://physics.bu.edu/~slanning
"Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox G400?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:21:16 +1000

Bj=F8rn T Johansen wrote:
> =

> Hi.
> =

> I am thinking of buying the new Matrox G400 graphic card and I was just=

> wondering if this was a bad idea? Is this support in XFree yet? If not,=

> does anyone know it and where it will be supported? Or is there another=

> card I should be looking at?

Works well in XFree-3.3.5 which I got from the rawhide directory of my
local Redhat mirror. XFree-3.3.3 which comes with RH6.0 is not enough.

Erik
-- =

     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I cant play .mid files with Soundscape in Linux
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:06:49 GMT

I cant play .mid files with Soundscape in Linux

I have a Soundscape Vivo 90 card, and kernel 2.2.11

Normal sound works fine, but when I open a .mid player, like thoose for
KDE I get no sound at all.

Has anyone got this midi sound, using wavetable (not the midi connector
and a midi device), to work with this card. If so, what did you do to
get it to work ?

Is it supported in the kernel ?
  If not will it be ?

Please help me by both mailing me and replying to this group.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= T Johansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox G400?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:36:50 +0200

Hi.

I am thinking of buying the new Matrox G400 graphic card and I was just
wondering if this was a bad idea? Is this support in XFree yet? If not,
does anyone know it and where it will be supported? Or is there another
card I should be looking at?

Regards,

BTJ

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux success stories
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:11:47 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How does typical Linux installation compare to typical other-Unix
> installation? Do you find that other versions of Unix you have used
> were easier to install and/or maintain than Linux?

Installation is much the same between SuSE Linux, AIX, HPUX, Solaris (in
terms of effort).

> Most people concentrate on installation issues between (distribution of
> Linux) and Windows, which doesn't give a big picture, but as far as I'm
> concerned Linux is just as easy to install as Windows, for the most
> part.
>
> But historically, as far as I know, it was common to stick in a tape
> and go get coffee, and when you got back, you were at a root prompt
> ready to go. But I haven't installed other versions of Unix (except
> maybe for early versions of 386 BSD), so I don't have a good feel of
> just how easy other versions of Unix are to install, or if I'm talking
> through my hat (red) :) with respect to this issue. I do know that
> tape is not a very common method of distribution, as no distribution
> of Linux that I know of uses it as an install method. (Which may be
> for practical reasons -- cdroms are probably cheaper than tapes, for
> starters, as well as CD-ROMS being a rather recent device in the
> history of Unix).

Err... Last time I used a tape was on an old Sun3 system.

Commercial UNIX offerings have their strengths and weaknesses too.   One
weakness I note with SuSE (and this may be true of other distributions) is
that YaST, the configuration tool, is nowhere near as comprehensive as
AIX/SMIT, HPUX/SAM.

------------------------------

From: Serial # 19781010 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: From KDE back to Gnome???
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:44:40 +0200

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 05:50:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg
Dyer) wrote:

>I switched to the KDE desktop..and now I can't get back to the Gnome
>Desktop. Any help....thanks in advance!!
>
>Greg

try with switchdesk

------------------------------

From: Steven Udell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: What approach to take?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 09:44:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I like things online:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/  <-- Linux Document Project
http://www.alphalinux.org/   <-- Linux on the Alpha Home site
http://kernelnotes.org/      <-- Linux Kernel Information
http://www.linux-howto.com/  <-- Linux HOWTO page
http://www.tux.org/          <-- Linux News
http://linuxtoday.com/       <-- Linux News

Hard Bound Books:
Books: Books by O'Reilly are my first Choice
Linux in a Nut Shell (one of the better "bible" like)
Also:
Perl, Sed&Awk , Bash, Sendmail, Administrators Guide, Ect..

But Bust Out on a nearby PII and PUT a Linux flavor on it
Some Flavors:
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.suse.de/e/
http://www.caldera.com/
http://www.redhat.com/
There are others and if your read some of the links you will find out
some of them makeing the current Linux Community News....Have Fun....

Also - http://www.userfriendly.org/