From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on mathematical functions
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:18:14 -0400

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Since most programs needed libc.a, but few needed libm.a, they
> > were separated so those who did not need libm.a could use the
> > memory for something else.
>
> I don't see the point.  Wouldn't the linker ignore libm.a anyway
> if the program doesn't refer to anything in it?
>
> ... or do you mean the _linker_ would run out of memory?

It has been a long time since I ran on a PDP-11 with 16-bit
addresses, pointers, and maximum file sizes. Your question makes me
try harder to remember what the problem really was. It seems you
are right that the linker would not include stuff in -lm if nothing
were needed from it. Perhaps the problem was that files could not
exceed 65536 bytes and if you put libm.a in with libc.a, its size
would exceed 65536 bytes. I forget when you could get larger file
sizes.

These days you could combine perhaps a lot of the libraries into
one big .so file. But even here, is that the best use of memory?
(Real question, not rhetorical.) 32-bit addresses and pointers is a
whole lot better than 16. 8-bit addresses are the pits.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: ASCII File transfer over Ethernet to Mulitport Serial on Linux box?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:25:37 GMT

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:32:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
wrote:

>I have some doubt that your Linux system is going to work
>in "not a pleasant environment" where serial switchboxes fail.
>Switchboxes should be much more rugged than whatever Linux box
>you throw on the job (unless you boot off flash and have a
>convection cooled sealed case).

The problem is the Machinists -- they turn the switches like they
tighten a vice -- they don't last long get cranked on.

>Apart from this, there are some unknowns in your description.
>The most important is the protocol used to upload control files
>to the machinery. If this protocol is known, perhaps you can
>write your own software to do this on Linux. If this protocol
>is not known, you must use whatever software exist on Windows
>and use some sort of a serial port redirector DLL to proxy
>for all serial port exchanges.
>
>--Pete

There isn't any -- protocol the files are just dumped onto the serial
line. Ie., to send a file in the computer runs a terminal program to
listen on the port, the operator sets the switches, and goes to the
machine and dumps the program to the line. The reverse is done to send
a program to the machine. The machine looks for "%" signs in the
recieved data to know what to send.

If I understand you, a Win DLL to write to the Linux box (possibly to
IP:Port), then re-direct the IP:Port to the TTY port will send a file
to the machine? What about the reverse to save a file from the machine
to a hard drive?

John Branlund

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:29:41 -0400

miko wrote:

> I have used 128MB x 2 (total 256MB) in the RH6.1 (Kernel 2.2.12-20)
> however I found only 128MB show on 'dmesg'.
>
> I have already changed the file 'lilo.conf'.
> the context is as follows:
> boot=/dev/sda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
>         label=linux
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/sda12
>         append="mem=256M"
>
> what should I do ?
>
> Michael Kwan

I do not think that is the problem. My /etc/lilo.conf reads:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50

linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14csmp
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda5
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14c
        label=linux-up
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14asmp
        label=linux-o
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda5
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0.14a
        label=linux-up-o
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda5
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

Nothing about memory size, and I have 512 Megabytes.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  7:24am up 30 days, 14:52, 2 users, load average: 2.18, 2.14, 2.10

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ORACLE Cluster solution
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:32:52 -0400

Adrian Mills wrote (in part):

> Hi,
>
> we're considering offering customers Linux/Oracle solutions as well as our
> standard stuff (Solaris, Tru64, Aix etc). So here is the crunch; clustering
> and shared storage.We want to build systems that have 24/7/365 (99.5%+)
> availability...
>
> From what I've found in the past few hours there are a number of Linux
> clustering solutions out there but there are none that I've found that
> explicitly offer Oracle support.

I believe Red Hat now do.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  7:30am up 30 days, 14:58, 2 users, load average: 2.08, 2.10, 2.09

------------------------------

From: Doug Dodson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Problem with fopen under RedHat 6.2
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:39:24 -0400

==============D16B8A998C0BEB58661D4412

Hi,

We are trying to port some code over to a Linux PC running RedHat 6.2.
Compilation of the code is fine, however when we run, we get a
segmentation fault on one of our fopen calls.  We seem to be able to
pass through the code once, but on the second iteration, we get the
fault.  This code is being ported from a Solaris machine where it ran
fine.  Here is the output of "gdb sfg core".  We are just wondering if
this is a known bug or if anyone has seen behavior like this before.
Thanks for any help:

GNU gdb 19991004
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
Core was generated by `sfg x w0000001.txt w0000002.txt w0000003.txt
w0000004.txt w0000005.txt w0001000'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
#0  0x40074709 in chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x40109d60, nb=184) at
malloc.c:2763
2763    malloc.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) where
#0  0x40074709 in chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x40109d60, nb=184) at
malloc.c:2763
#1  0x400745ce in __libc_malloc (bytes=176) at malloc.c:2696
#2  0x4006d83b in _IO_new_fopen (filename=0xbfff9cdc "w0000002.txt",
    mode=0x8054708 "r") at iofopen.c:42
#3  0x804c8f0 in oratag ()
#4  0x8049e60 in main ()
#5  0x400339cb in __libc_start_main (main=0x8048b0c <main>, argc=992,
    argv=0xbfffb954, init=0x80487d8 <_init>, fini=0x8053a5c <_fini>,
    rtld_fini=0x4000ae60 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbfffb94c)
    at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:92

        - Doug -

==============D16B8A998C0BEB58661D4412

begin:vcard
n:Dodson;Douglas
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SRI International;State College, PA
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:System/Network Administrator
fn:Douglas B. Dodson
end:vcard

From: "Adrian Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:48:08 +0200

Seems like I did not look long enough;

http://www.missioncriticallinux.com/ provide off the shelf HA clusters
running Oracle 8i

Adrian

news:8pafju$p1q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VirtualHost disables main server!!!
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:40:43 GMT

Just a thought for you.  I have no idea if it will work or not.

You could try to assign an IP alias to your nic. A private network ip
like 192.168.0.1, then have your NamedVirtualHost directive set to your
private IP, and BindAddress to *

Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Mark

In article <oiYt5.9024$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Devon Harding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't really use ip instead of domain name as my external ip
changes often
> as a result to dhcp from my isp.
>
> I'm using ddns to assign my domain name.
>
> There's got to be another solution
>
> -Devon
>
> "Raymond Doetjes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > It should be name ipaddress portnumber
> >
> > and then every side that you host also your so called mainside
should have
> > VirtualHost directive.
> > It is a bit confugsing but also pretty logical once that you know
that
> > VirtualHosts enables a different way of hadneling calls. It sees a
> domainname
> > and it will look for the right documentroot for that domainname,
this also
> > happens ofcourse for his standard domain.
> >

> > Raymond
> >
> > Percy Cheng wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Devon,
> > >
> > >    It should be a problem if attempt the naming host to domain
name,
> > > try to use ip, dhcp can assign a fix ip to specific host too.
> > >
> > > Devon Harding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:tVCt5.10405$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> being
> VirtualHost

> on
> > > that

domains/hostnames on

--
Please reply to this newsgroup as my Deja mail
is used as a spam catcher only!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Franklin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: new mail from "Cron"
Date: 8 Sep 2000 07:03:10 -0600

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:42:43 -0400, Devon Harding wrote:
>Why do I keep getting this mail from the cron daemon:
>
>Message 1:
>From root  Tue May  2 04:04:28 2000
>Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 04:02:36 -0400
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cron Daemon)
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Cron <root@mars> run-parts /etc/cron.daily
>
>/usr/bin/news.daily: /var/lib/news/.news.daily: Permission denied
>error: bad top line in state file /var/lib/logrotate.status
>
>-Devon

Check out your cron scripts and config files: /etc/crontab, /var/spool/cron,
and possibly /etc/cron.hourly /etc/cron.daily etc....

Somewhere you will find an attempt to access the above files as a
nonpriviledged user.  Also examine the file /var/lib/logrotate.status and
delete it if you can not correct the corruption in it.
--
James

A Daily Quip, Quote, or Fortune:
  "Emergency!"  Sgiggs screamed, ejecting himself from the tub like it was
a burning car.  "Dial 'one'!  Get room service!  Code red!"  Stiggs was on
the phone immediately, ordering more rose blossoms, because, according to
him, the ones floating in the tub had suddenly lost their smell.  "I demand
smell," he shrilled.  "I expecting total uninterrupted smell from these
f*cking roses."

  Unfortunately, the service captain didn't realize that the Stiggs situation
involved fifty roses.  "What am I going to do with this?" Stiggs sneered at
the weaseling hotel goon when he appeared at our door holding a single flower
floating in a brandy glass.  Stiggs's tirade was great.  "Do you see this
bathtub?  Do you notice any difference between the size of the tub and the
size of that spindly wad of petals in your hand?  I need total bath coverage.
I need a completely solid layer of roses all around me like puffing factories
of smell, attacking me with their smell and power-ramming big stinking
concentrations of rose odor up my nostrils until I'm wasted with pleasure."
It wasn't long before we got so dissatisfied with this incompetence that we
bolted.
-- The Utterly Monstrous, Mind-Roasting Summer of O.C. and Stiggs,
   National Lampoon, October 1982

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Subject: Re: Can Linux be installed from a Compaq Backpack cdrom?
Date: 08 Sep 2000 12:01:46 GMT

>I may aquire an old Compaq 486  with a backpack cdrom drive (the old
>> paralell port thing) and would like to use it to run some command line
>> stuff.  I have Redhat 5.2 through 6.2.  Can I get one of these to
>> work and if so, will there be any problems of which I should be aware?
>>
>> Thanks

Yes, RedHat 5.2 has that option on the default install disk.  Just hook
everything up and choose the cdrom / other option..

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Problem with fopen under RedHat 6.2
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 8 Sep 2000 14:03:31 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Doug Dodson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Hi,
>
>We are trying to port some code over to a Linux PC running RedHat 6.2.
>Compilation of the code is fine, however when we run, we get a
>segmentation fault on one of our fopen calls.  We seem to be able to
>pass through the code once, but on the second iteration, we get the
>fault.  This code is being ported from a Solaris machine where it ran
>fine.  Here is the output of "gdb sfg core".  We are just wondering if
>this is a known bug or if anyone has seen behavior like this before.
>Thanks for any help:
[cut]

Did you close the file properly before opening it again?

/A

--
Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

------------------------------

From: msprague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat Linux - Apache included? in Standard Edition?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:11:23 -0700

I have an unopened box on my desk that is Red Hat Linux 6.1 Standard
Edition.

Are Apache, wu-ftp, and Sendmail are included in this package?? or
should I return it and go out and buy the Deluxe or Professional
edition to get these.

Thanks.
Michael Sprague

* Sent from Novell Discussion Forums http://novell.remarq.com The Internet's
Discussion Network *

From: Ken Siersma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: cpmp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problem making swap file w/RedHat 6.1 Disk Druid
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:18:40 +0000

Hello,
Relatively new at this, and I have a dual pentium machine with a 45
GB hard drive that used to have a Promise Controller connected to it.
Since I recently acquired the system administration responsibilities
here, I took out the promise controller and removed the partitions that
did exist on the drive (they were all Linux partitions), for the purpose
of starting from scratch to see if I could successfully install RedHat
on this dual chip machine, and then put the promise controller on it.

Now that you have the background, here's my problem.  I used Partition
Magic to remove the partitions, and I have been trying to create new
partitions using the RedHat installer.  I can create the /, /usr, /home,
and additional linux native partitions, but I can't create the Linux
Swap partition.  I have 1 GB of RAM, so I'm using a 1GB Swap partition.
Whenever RedHat gets to initializing the swap partition, I get the
following error:

    Exception Occured

Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 225,
in ?
    intf.run(todo, test = test)
    File
"../../../RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/py
thon1.5/site-packages/text.py", line
1000, in run
    rc=apply (step[1](), step[2])
    File
"../../../RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/py
thon1.5/site-packages/text.py", line
572, in__call__
    if todo.doInstall():
    File
"../../../RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/Py
thon1.5/site-packages/todo.py", line
1412, in do install
    self.makeFilesystems (createSwap
= (not self.swapCreated))
    File
"../../../RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/py
thon1.5/site-packages/todo.py", line
680, in makeFilesystems
    raise RuntimeError, "error making
swap on " + device
RuntimeError: error making swap on
hda8

Is there something obvious I'm overlooking?  Sorry about the lengthy
message
Ken

--
Ken Siersma, Project Engineer
EKK, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Perrin)
Subject: Re: Statistics Software for Linux?
Date: 08 Sep 2000 08:35:29 -0400

J Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am looking for GNOME/Kde/command-line based
> GPL/freeware statistics software for Linux. Any people
> out there want to recommend their favorite statistics applications?

Check out R (www.r-project.org), a freeware version of S. I've also
heard good things about Octave but haven't tried it. Stata is of
course available for linux but far from free.

Andrew Perrin - Solaris-Linux-NT-Samba-Perl-Access-Postgres Consulting
       [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:42:34 GMT

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:11:23 -0700, msprague
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have an unopened box on my desk that is Red Hat Linux 6.1 Standard
>Edition.
>
>Are Apache, wu-ftp, and Sendmail are included in this package?? or
>should I return it and go out and buy the Deluxe or Professional
>edition to get these.

Since they were into the 6.0, I think they still are into the 6.1,
but why you are afraid about this ? They are all available from the
net...

Davide

------------------------------

From: "Ozetechnology" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 22:45:34 +1100

Only snag it does not work on all machines. I have had to use the append
on some laptops, and the odd desktop out there. Seems to be totally random
machines that the memory does not get detected correctly, seen this on 1
of 2 identical hardware machines, tried swapping ram, result, append
worked. After that declaired victory and left the twilight zone.

David

Site: www.ozetechnology.com
+++ New Images in the Gallery +++

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 8 Sep 2000 15:05:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
msprague  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an unopened box on my desk that is Red Hat Linux 6.1 Standard
>Edition.
>
>Are Apache, wu-ftp, and Sendmail are included in this package?? or
>should I return it and go out and buy the Deluxe or Professional
>edition to get these.
>
>Thanks.
>Michael Sprague

I would be very disappointed if any GNU/Linux distribution did not
include Apache and Sendmail in their standard edition. I don't know
anything about the RedHat distribution though...

For those poor souls that do not have access to Sendmail, it is
available at <URL:http://www.sendmail.org/>. The Apache web server is
available at <URL:http://www.apache.org/httpd.html>. And guess what?
wu-ftp is also available, at <URL:http://www.wu-ftpd.org/>...

So, there's really no need to get a Gold, Deluxe or Professional pack
of anything unless you want some commercial closed-source stuff with
your system.

/A