Linux-Misc Digest #726, Volume #19                Sat, 3 Apr 99 17:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux (Tom Gravgaard Christensen)
  Re: Give it a rest! (was Re: Idea: Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0)
(Matthias Warkus)
  Re: My Linux machine froze!! (Carl Fink)
  Re: LINUX SPARC (vaclav vyvoda)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the  Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ANNOUNCE: Apache 1.3.6 RPMs for Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 (Marc Christensen)
  Re: knews: Couldn't determine domain name.  Posting will not be  possible. (Charles
E Taylor IV)
  Re: LINUX SPARC (Charles E Taylor IV)
  Re: Idea: Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs? (Matthias Warkus)
  Apache SSL (ryanb)
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (James Goldman)
  Re: S3 Savage 3D ??? (George Noulas)
  Re: How do I monitor my modem (NF Stevens)
  $6 for $42000 in four weeks ("Goodwomen")
  Re: Problem while Upgrading Kernel (Bruce Stephens)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Gravgaard Christensen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 21:44:28 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:40:00 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi Dara,
>
>On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Dara Hazeghi wrote:
>
>[..]
>>
>> Netscape already runs their. It's just in their unsupported directory. Go to
>> http://home.netscape.com/download/unsupported.html
>> It's under SPARC Linux
>>

>Ok, you are right.
>There is just one little problem. There is only a version for Sparc-Linux
>with strong encryption. And as I don't live in the USA but in Germany the
>server just tells me: Your domain is not from USA so you are not allowed
>to download this.
>
>A version without encryption would do fine for me, because I don't need
>it. But I can't find one.
You must be looking in the wrong places, since I got Netscape 4.5 on a
SparcStation 4 here in Denmark ;)

If you can't find it on Netscape's pages, just goto
ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/pub/infosystems/www/netscape/communicator
and then some, just remember it's in the unsupported dir.

-tgc

--
Tom G. Christensen, Denmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Homepage: http://hjem.get2net.dk/tgc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Give it a rest! (was Re: Idea: Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat
Linux 6.0)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:38:57 +0200

It was the Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:37:03 -0600...
..and John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > >Are you suggesting that the Redhat sysadmin apps, install process
> > >etc are *essential* to run Linux? If so you are wrong. All they do
> > >is tie you in to doing it the Redhat way!
> >
> > Are you saying that emacs is a worthless piece of software, because people
> > could as well use vi?
>
> This thread is a perfect example of the postulate that given
> suffficient time, any thread in a *nix discussion group will
> eventually degenerate into an "emacs vs vi" polemic.

Heh. I suppose I've got to rewrite Warkus' Theory of Usenet Quirk
Dynamics.

mawa
--
Lay me down, Carolina, lay me down, one more time, don't wanta wake me
up in the morning, no more.  Sing me, one last old song, before they

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: My Linux machine froze!!
Date: 4 Apr 1999 02:58:27 GMT

On Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:54:24 +0000 Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Next time try CTRL-ALT-BKSP to kill X. It's never failed for me.

It has failed for me several times.  Admittedly, not since I upgraded
to the latest XFree86.  Then again, X hasn't frozen on me since then
either.

It's certainly worth trying.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (vaclav vyvoda)
Subject: Re: LINUX SPARC
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 20:48:12 GMT

Hi,

You can check http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/ for a RPM package of a browser.

Good luck,

Vas

On Dr Michael Storck [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Hello from Rostock, Germany
: I have RedHat Linux 5.2 running on an old SparcClassic
: Sun m4 50 Mhz system.
: The RedHat distribution has no graphic www browser.
: Could anybody be so kind and compile either arena or
: mosaic for me to run on the sparc ?
: I tried to compile it myself, however i have problems
: with missing libs and due to limited hard disk space
: i cannot install all the libs in the developers pkgs.
: The system runs with X11 R6 and lynx works allright
: in text mode.
: Thanks for any support
: Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 15:02:07 -0600

Todd Knarr wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Most have been spoonfed on DOS/Winblows for years and that little
> > thing with a tail is called a "mouse" by us.  Who would guess to look
> > in the manual for pointer rather than mouse?  Why doesn't the index
> > include mouse and refer us to pointer?  After all, this is an operating
> > system which is made for Intel machines which has heretofore been
> > a Microsoft domain.
>
> Probably because the terminology came mostly from systems _other_ than
> Intel machines, over the decade or so when Unix typically ran on systems
> other than Intel. In XFree86, for example, the pointer on the screen can be
> generated variously by a mouse, a joystick, several varieties of touchpads
> and digitizing tablets and ELO-hardware-based touchscreens. In fact, you
> can have several such pointers on the system at once. Calling the pointer
> the "mouse cursor" would be terribly confusing on a system that didn't
> have a mouse attached at all, or on one that did have a mouse but where
> the mouse wasn't controlling the pointer you were referring to.

For unix, I understand your point.  My point is that linux is made to work on
a PC.  Linux is also breaking out of the lab/university environment and into
the general user environment.   This is being pushed by the likes of Redhat,
SuSE, etc.  If I wanted Americans to come to France and see the sites, I would
try to advertise and give directions in English (or point strongly to a book on

English <=> French translation).

To handle the mouse problem, simply include mouse in the index and add the
words "see pointer".   Then, in the pointer section, address the types of
pointers as necessary (and try not to exclude any reference to a mouse ;^).

I'm not sure if this mouse example is handled or not as I have not experienced
problems here.  However, video card setup, sound card setup, and modem/
internet setup is 100% confusing.  Someday, I will gain access to a Linux
guru and they will point me to the necessary book/man page/howto/etc. and
then I will be able to wean myself off of Windows.  ;^)  Until then, I hope to
ask questions and bring up problems here in this forum.  I also wish to take
to task  folks like SuSE who charge me $50 for a distribution complete with
an out of date manual (with updated version number on the front cover),
charge unthinkable rates for user support (and free support seems to expire
about the time you finish reading multiple manuals/books/man pages/etc.  :^),
and swear up and down that the manual is up to date (except for the pictures
and menu options on the installation sections ;^).

This is no fault of Linux or Linux users.  Linux is great and so are you guys.
I blame the problem on advertising hype.  This will eventually be overcome
or we will see Linux remain in the server/lab/university environment.  I don't
really think this is totally bad either.  Someone mentioned the likelihood of
Microsoft coming up with their own version of Linux (now there's a nightmare).
What's to stop Redhat, SuSE, etc. from developing their own version of Linux
which isn't the same kernel any longer?  All they need to do is to rewrite the
kernel, give it a new name like MSuxs, swear it is compatible, make it such
that
any idiot can install it, and off we go to failures previously unchartered.

I'm new here but thanks to all the Linux users out there who are so willing to
help newbies.  Can anyone point me to a distribution which virtually installs
itself (with minimal problems)?  I'd really like to do more than play
Backgammon.
I have a Trident 9750 AGP video card, soundblaster16, and a God-only-knows-
what-kinda modem (but MS didn't choke on it... and I'm willing to replace it if

necessary).  I also have 4 books and about 10 CDs of Linux software.  Can
someone point me to a book(s) that might hint as to how I can install software
from one Linux distribution into another  (or what software might be compatible

with what distributions, etc.)?

Thanks.

Rick

------------------------------

From: Marc Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: utah.linux
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Apache 1.3.6 RPMs for Caldera OpenLinux 1.3
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 14:09:06 -0700

Everybody can now grab the RPMs.  I've uploaded some unofficial RPMS to
Caldera's incomming directory and they should be available first part of
the week in their contrib directory.  Thoes who want them now can grab
them from mecworks (see links below).

Here's the README:

Apache 1.3.6 RPMs for Caldera OpenLinux 1.3

The Apache web server is the best free web server available in the UNIX
world today. It uses HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) to allow web
browsers to view documents and submit data remotely.  It has the ability
to perform a number of different functions, including proxying and
caching, and offers features such as a status monitor, dynamic type
conversion, and more.

For more information about Apache, see http://www.apache.org

This RPM set has a couple of new features compared to the version shipped
with COL 1.3:

        * All possible modules have been compiled as modules
          This means that you have a greater amount of flexibility
          in configuring the web server's capabilities - if you
          need a certain module, load it, if you don't, leave it out.
          These are dynamically loaded at run time and do not
          require re-compilation of Apache.

        * Added development package which is needed to build third-party
          modules such as php, mod_ssl, mod_perl, mod_heitml, etc. which
          enable database access, server-side embedded scripting languages
          and many other capabilities.

The packages can be located at both Caldera's contrib directory and on
mecworks:

  Primary site:

     SRPM:
        ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/contrib/SRPMS/apache-1.3.6-1.src.rpm
     RPMs:
        ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/contrib/RPMS/apache-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
        ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/contrib/RPMS/apache-devel-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
        ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/contrib/RPMS/apache-docs-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
     README:
        ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/contrib/READMES/apache-1.3.6-1-README

  Secondary site (low bandwidth):

     SRPM:
        http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-1.3.6-1.src.rpm
     RPMs:
        http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
        http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-devel-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
        http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-docs-1.3.6-1b.i386.rpm
    README:
        http://www.mecworks.com/software/apache-1.3.6-1-README

RPM created Sun Mar 28 15:21:04 1999 by Marc Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
Marc C.
http://www.mecworks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Subject: Re: knews: Couldn't determine domain name.  Posting will not be  possible.
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:55:24 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer) writes:

> That seems rather extreme!  Why not just look for "localhost" in /etc/hosts?
> Not that I've had any luck with that.  If the news server is looking for a
> specific domain name that it recognizes, maybe I need to find out what that
> would be from the server administrators (as I say in my initial post, neither
> "home" nor "nick.home.oz.net" work, even though oz.net is my ISP's domain name
> and news.oz.net is its news server).

My suspicion is that knews isn't able to determine what it thinks
should be a valid domain name - and then decides to not even bother to
*try* posting.  That's why I suggested compiling knews from source so
you could give it any arbitrary somain name you like.  I seem to
remember as long as it has a dot, knews won't care.

Charles E Taylor IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:58:11 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr Michael Storck) writes:

> The RedHat distribution has no graphic www browser.
> Could anybody be so kind and compile either arena or
> mosaic for me to run on the sparc ?

Why not just download Netscape Navigator (4.5)?  Netscape
has put out a version for S/Linux.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea: Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: 3 Apr 1999 21:02:18 GMT

John Thompson allegedly wrote:
>Jeremy Crabtree wrote:
>>
>> (Sorry, I just couldn't resist...;)
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] allegedly wrote:
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> >Are you saying the the X windowing system is a worthless
>> >piece of software, because you can use linux with virtual consoles only?
>>
>> YEAH! X is WORTHLESS for /exactly/ that reason! Heck, I even have
>> root-menus on my consoles! ;P
>>
>> (BTW, I really do have root-menus on my consoles ;)
>
>So?
>
>I have *root beer* on my console, but I'm not bragging about
>it; I'm looking for a towel.

Hrm...got root.beer stuck on tty* huh? Better check in
/pub/linen_closet and, failing that, /pub/laundry/clean
for towels.tgz

BTW, don't worry about the compression, it will expand
itself as it consumes the root.beer

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 18:48:20 +0200

It was the Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:46:34 -0500...
..and Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Look up how one deletes a word, a line, part of a line,
> > a selection, or a paragraph with vi.n
>
> I did that ages ago, before coming to the conclusion I'd,
> rather bathe in acid than use vi. Didn't see any object-,
> orientation.

Well, this is general lack of either luck or brains.

> BTW There's no way I'm going to investigate vi any furthernow I've f
> now I've found an editor I'm perfectly happy with. Life's too
> short for vi.d

Well, perhaps you're happy with your editor, but it still randomly
strews strange control sequences across your postings.

mawa
--
"The DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ryanb)
Subject: Apache SSL
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 21:05:17 GMT

I am trying to set up my first Apache web server.  I have Linux Redhat v5.2 up
and running.  I also have Apache installed and it serves.  I need to install
some security and set it up though and I can't find much info on that.  I was
thinking of setting up ssl on it.  That is where you get the "https://" isn't
it?  I also had a question on the ".htaccess" files.  How do you set one of
those up?  I have tried to play with them and deny access to certain IP's and
such, but I can't seem to get it to work.  I must have the syntax wrong.  One
more quick question I had was how do you set up the directorys for different
users?  Here is what I want to do.  Lets say my site is "www.redhat.com".  I
want another address to be "www.redhat.com/~Some_User".  If I make another
directory underneith my /home/httpd/html directory called Some_User, I can't
type in "www.redhat.com/~Some_User" and get the page.  I have to actually type
in the name of the file too...index.html.  I was under the impression that it
defaulted to index.html.  It does for the main site.  Any helpful hints would
be appreciated.  I do have some knowlege of linux, but have never messed with
web servers.  Thanks!

 Ryan

------------------------------

From: James Goldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 14:16:34 -0700

Alexander Viro wrote:

<snip story of foo, bar and of course, baz>

> he's OK with <bar>, can't stand anything else and is on holy crusade
> against authors of <bar>.

True. That's rather annoying isn't it? But then again, I frequently go
off on little crusades about my particular foobar: Microsoft. I said I
don't care anymore, but it's not really true. The kind of hatred any
truly computer-literate person develops for M$ never quite dies. So I
guess I'm guilty, too.

<snip description of lusers>

OK, with this description I can't possibly argue. People like you
described shouldn't be allowed to own computers. They are powerful and
potentially dangerous tools (I mean the computers - although I concede
that the lusers are tools, too).

So everyone should ask themselves: "Do I really know what I'm doing?"
Actually, scratch that. An luser would always answer "yes" even though
the answer is definitely "no". I must have met a few thousand people
like this - and that's just in college. Here I have to note that most of
said people thought Microsoft was wonderful.

> >big ol' bandwagon again. Linux has become a buzzword.
> Yes. And there is a type that I would call professional advocates.
> Completely dishonest, absolutely ignorant, want to fight for
> something, no matter what. Most vocal type. BTW, many of them are
> ex-Mac/ex-Amiga/ex-OS/2 advocates - check DejaNews and you'll see.

Hmm.. care to elaborate on this, too? Do you mean people screaming about
how wonderful Linux is/putting down everyone who doesn't use
it/otherwise making asses of themselves/otherwise making asses of the
rest of the Linux community? Yes, then I agree. I'll rail agaist M$ as
much as the next guy (and probably more), but the fact is that the rest
of the world needs enlightenment about the true nature of M$. What they
don't need is to be put down. God knows we get enough of that sort of
thing as it is.

> fact that people in <foo> speak on a different language. "What? They

Here's another thing that's going to give me away, but where does this
"foo" come from? I see it all over the place.

James

------------------------------

From: George Noulas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Savage 3D ???
Date: 3 Apr 1999 21:32:02 GMT

goto : http://members.xoom.com/s3dlinux/

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: How do I monitor my modem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:47:29 GMT

"Stephen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am using diald to dial up a ppp account with my ISP. I would like to
>monitor the modem connection rate, time connected, bytes sent, bytes
>received, etc. Is there a utility to do this?

pppstats

Norman

------------------------------

From: "Goodwomen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: $6 for $42000 in four weeks
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:24:01 +0400

THIS REALLY CAN MAKE YOU EASY MONEY!! IT WORKS!!! BUT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW IT
TO A LETTER FOR IT TO WORK!!!!
A little while back, I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are
now, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make
thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00!
So I thought," Yeah, right, this must be a scam", but like most of us, I was
curious, so I kept reading.

Anyway, it said that you send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and address
stated in the article. You then place your own name and address in the
bottom of the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups.
(There are thousands) No catch, that was it. So after thinking it over, and
talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured what
have I got to lose except 6 stamps and $6.00, right? Like most of us I was a
little skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. So
I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they
confirmed that it is indeed legal! Then I invested the measly $6.00. Well
GUESS WHAT!!... within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! I was
shocked! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In
my first week, I made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I had made
a total of over $1,000.00! In the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it's
still growing. This is now my fourth week and I have made a total of just
over $42,000.00 and it's still coming in rapidly. It's certainly worth
$6.00, and 6 stamps, I have spent more than that on the lottery!!

Let me tell you how this works and most importantly, why it works....also,
make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the
information off of it as you need it. STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper
and write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR
MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6
pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope to prevent
thievery. Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them.
You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating
the above phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you are
doing is creating a service by this. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! Mail the 6
envelopes to the following addresses:

#1) Grant
P.O.Box 703394
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32170 USA

#2) MIKE ELEFANT
502 N. FRANCES ST. 510E
MADISON WI 53703 USA

#3) Gerry
P.O. Box 854
Pomona, NJ 08240 USA

#4) Hope
112 E. Madison St.
Paulsboro, NJ 08066 USA

#5)Quishia
P.O. Box 174
Clarksboro, NJ 08020-0174 USA

#6) Alex
P.O. Box 1
Russia, Moscow 117630

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the other
names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as number 6 on
the list. STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article
as close to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at least
200 newsgroups. (I think there are close to 24,000 groups) All you need is
200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make! ---

DIRECTIONS-----HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------ Step 1) You do not need
to re-type this entire letter to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor
at the beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of this
document, and select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the entire
letter into the computers memory. Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and
place your cursor at the top of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select
'paste'. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can
add your name to the list. Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt
file. If you want to do your postings in different sittings, you'll always
have this file to go back to. Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and
try searching for various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat
sites, discussions.) Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this
article as a new message by highlighting the text of this letter and
selecting paste from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the
header that everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a
particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your first
one!

Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to do is jump to different
newsgroupes and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will take about
30 seconds for each newsgroup!
**REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!!
BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! You will begin reciving
money from around the world within days! You may eventually wany to rent a
P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If you wish to
stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the postman will
deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.**

Now the WHY part: Out of 200 postings, say I receive only 5 replies (a very
low example). So then I made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now,
each of the 5 persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200 postings,
each with my name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each of the original
5, that is another $25.00 for me, now those 25 each make 200 MINIMUM posts
with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will bring in an additional
$125.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM 200 with my
name at #3 and only receive 5 replies each, I will make an additional
$626.00! OK, now here is the fun part, each of those 625 persons post a
MINIMUM 200 letters with my name at #2 and they each only receive 5 replies,
that just made me $3,125.00!!! Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this
message to 200 newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still 5 persons per 200
newsgroups react I will receive $15,625,00! With a original investment of
only $6.00! AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take
the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $6.00 to names on
the list, putting your name at number 6 again. And start posting again. The
thing to remember is, do you realize that thousands of people all over the
world are joining the internet and reading these articles everyday, JUST
LIKE YOU are now!! So can you afford $6.00 and see if it really works?? I
think so... People have said, "what if the plan is played out and no one
sends you the money? So what! What are the chances of that happening when
there are tons of new honest users and new honest people who are joining the
internet and newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try? Estimates
are at 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands of those
joining the actual internet. Remember, play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this
will work.

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem while Upgrading Kernel
Date: 03 Apr 1999 20:10:09 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (TeaLeaf) writes:

> I do a "make mrproper"
> <here i get an error 'cos make isn't installed so I used RPM to
> install make>
> <i also realize that gcc isn't installed so I install gcc using RPM
> too>
> "make mrproper" okay now
> "make config" - okay
> "make dep" - this fails as standard header files can be found
> (ctype.h, stdio.h etc...)

Do you have glibc-devel installed?  (You know, the package with all
the standard headers...)