Linux-Misc Digest #271, Volume #19                Tue, 2 Mar 99 21:13:12 EST

Contents:
  Printing Accounting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Installation and usage ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Install hangs on "idle process cannot sleep" ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Anthony D. Tribelli)
  Re: FreeBSD vs LINUX (John Fieber)
  Re: netcape + freshmeat.org then crash? (kernel)
  Re: WindowMaker & Kernel 2.2.2 (kernel)
  Re: DVD (James Bourne)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Louis Epstein)
  Re: Microkernels are an abstraction inversion (Roger Espel Llima)
  Re: how to automate server log on ? (Michael Eastman)
  Re: how to automate server log on ? (Michael Eastman)
  Re: FreeAgent for Linux (tony summerfelt)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Tim Kelley)
  Re: running executable from cdrom? (Jérôme Laheurte)
  Re: RPM manager ? (Luis Sousa)
  Re: Linux SLOWER than win95? (Alex Armstrong)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Tim Kelley)
  Re: Linux SLOWER than win95? (Greg H.)
  Re: Create a DOS bootdisk in using only Linux (Gérard Milmeister)
  Kernel 2.2.2 & xcdroast0.96e ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Printing Accounting
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:52:04 GMT

  We need to set up printer accounting on our RH5.2 servers -- to charge
users per page or per byte for all their printing. I've turned on accton, but
don't see any way right off to get print spool info from it. The print spool
itself has the info we need, although only briefly. Is there some way to
continually copy the print spool info to another file, so we can then right a
program to bill them? Doing lpq, even a continual loop, would probably let
many small jobs slip by.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installation and usage
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 00:12:40 GMT

Hey,

Do any of you know if Linux is hard to install and operate? Like is it
automated and stuff like good ol' Windows 98? I might be a Windows convert if
it isnt hard 2 use. Could you help me? Thanks.

Omar

Please reply 2 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install hangs on "idle process cannot sleep"
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:47:17 +0000

On 2 Mar 1999, Sam E. Trenholme wrote:

> >I am trying to install Red Hat 5.2 (the Macmillan boxed set) on a Compaq
> >Presario 4532. The process dies fairly early after saying "idle process cannot
> >sleep" five times.
>
> How much memory do you have?  RedHat Linux is a pain to install unless you
> have at least 16 megs of ram.
>
> If you want a guaranteed install, try Slackware.  Slackware will install
> in just about anything.
I have found that Debian has a painless way of installing on computers
with little memory.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony D. Tribelli)
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:52:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony D. Tribelli) wrote:

: >Please do so. I don't believe you'll find an undocumented reset
: >instruction. You will probably find code that sets up BIOS to do a warm
: >boot and then asks the keyboard controller to reset the CPU. Later methods
: >used special I/O ports and multiple CPU faults.
:
: actually, what this "undocumented" reset is is simply diliberately
: creating a triple fault.  the cpu can catch a double fault and recover
: but the cpu resets under a triple fault situation.  the code placed at
: the restart point is aware of what happened and gracefully recovers as
: if just switching back to real mode.  just like has been explained.

Agreed, but it's not a simple 'instruction', and messing with the
Interrupt Descriptor Table is not something a user level program can do.

Tony
--
==================
Tony Tribelli

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Fieber)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs LINUX
Date: 2 Mar 1999 17:05:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        James Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm worried that with all the attention Linux is getting, it's
> probably the bandwagon to hop on.

Reckless bandwagon hopping is what gave us the Microsoft empire.
There are real benefits to a large user base, but don't be duped by
the intoxicating effect of the festivities.  Carefully consider what
you will actually be using the system for and evaluate the
suitability of each option based on your real world tasks.  It
doesn't matter how many evangelists platform A has if platform B
actually meets your needs better.

-john

------------------------------

From: kernel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netcape + freshmeat.org then crash?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:05:01 -0600

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> +- Wulin Suo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | Can someone please tell why when I visit the freshmeat.net with Netscape
> | it crashes all the time?
>
> AFAIK, it is a bug in Netscape that only shows up with Linux 2.2.

NO freaking way dude... I use kernel 2.2.2 and so far netcrap has not
bombed out on me at freshmeat.net.  It used to *sometimes* w/2.0.36.
I use 4.08 nutscrap.

--
The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.

------------------------------

From: kernel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WindowMaker & Kernel 2.2.2
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:00:30 -0600

Anthony wrote:

> Make sure you have FVWM installed
> and running before you re-install Window Maker 0.51.
>
> Good Luck.
        WHY?  AFAIK it is not necessary to have one windowmanager working
before you install another one!
--
My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it.
                -- The Dragon to Grendel, in John Gardner's "Grendel"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Bourne)
Subject: Re: DVD
Date: 2 Mar 1999 17:15:01 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 02:37:34 -0800, Adam Dickerson did say with great verbosity:
:Hi,
:
:Is there any application for RedHat linux that can play DVD movies?

Try http://www.mpegtv.com/

They have a player that does do VCD and mpeg2, I would think DVD isn't much
different.

Regards
Jim

:
:Thanks
:Down with the microsoft!!!
:
:

--
James Bourne                  | Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Affinity Systems Inc.         | WWW: http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Louis Epstein)
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:20:44 GMT

David Kastrup ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion) writes:
:
: > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: > Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: > >> I always call "#" the "number sign" myself.
: >
: > >in the uk, the shifted three gives the proper pound symbol and what in
: > >the us is displayed as # is in the uk shown as the wacky L.
: >
: > So if you order something and say you want three pounds worth,
: > does that mean you want the amount which 3 pounds sterling will
: > buy, or do you get 3 pounds by weight - which may cost a lot more
: > than 3 pounds sterling.  I think  lb  is perfectly good
: > abreviation.
:
: Of course I want something worth three pounds of Sterling silver.

Well,originally of course they were the same,but pennies have been
copper since George III,and I suspect didn't have the full pennyweight
(1/240th of a troy pound) of sterling(.925 fine) silver in them for a
while before that...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Espel Llima)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microkernels are an abstraction inversion
Date: 3 Mar 1999 01:18:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Craig Brozefsky  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Stefan Skoglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> the problem with ML and the other languages which you mentioned
>> is that they are pretty hard to understand for someone who didn't
>> learn functional programming from the beginning ie started to work
>> with Basic,C or shudder C++.
>
>They are not really that difficult to learn.  www.haskell.org and
>start reading.  Also check out "ML For Working Programmers" from
>L.C. Paulson which ships in 24 hrs at Amazon.  The notation is
>sometime unfamiliar, and the pattern matching and type system are
>prossibly alien, but not any more difficult that lamo OO ontologies,
>or memory management bullshit in the C/C++ et al.

Ultimately, code is just code, and if I have to learn a language because
some project requires it, I will.

However, I most definitely don't want to use a functional language, when
I have the choice (and unless the functional paradigm happens to fit the
problem exceptionally well).

And I don't want to use a system that forces, or strongly encourages me
to write my programs in a functional language.  Sure, I *could*, but I
don't *like* it, and, well, as Fare has been pointing out, giving the
programmer choice is quite a worthwhile goal.

>ML does, for IO and such.  Haskell and Miranda are "pure" functional
>programming languages which do not have side effects (of if they do
>they are hidden behind monads).  This does not cover the real reason
>to learn functional programming, or the advantages of functional
>languages.  They provide new ways to organize programs as a whole, and
>new ways to breakdown systems into sub-problems and combine the
>solutions for those sub-problems into a solution for the whole system
>that is very flexible and easy to understand.
>
>As for the OSs, people have put ML on hardware, and have built
>webservers in ML from the packet driver up.

People have probably done that with every conceivable kind of language,
from assembler through FORTH to pure ML.  That doesn't mean I actually
*want* to organize most of my problems in the ways that these languages
provide.

For most of my programming needs, give me a well-designed,
very-high-level, *procedural* language, and I'll be happy.  Of those
I've tried, Perl is the closest I've found to what my dream language
would be.  But it's not quite it either.

--
Roger Espel Llima, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/espel/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Eastman)
Subject: Re: how to automate server log on ?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:17:39 GMT

>There are settings in the registry that will allow NT to log on
>automatically, when computer restarts, without prompting you to enter
>user ID and password.
>I just wonder if this feature is available in Linux. Or else how the
>hell are you going to run a network?
>What do you do when a Linux computer resets (or being reset by something
>like the Watch Dog) at 2 AM ? Drive to work
>to enter user name and password?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying -- are you saying that
in order for your NT network to offer all of its services, you have to
log into the server?

If I am correct in my understanding, then you should learn how to
configure NT to offer its network services before logon.

Linux requires no logon to offer its network services. The only reason
you'd even want to logon is to make configuration changes. In fact,
leaving a root or administrator-level user logged on is a serious
hazard!

For the record, our primary raid-5 Linux box is watched by WatchDog
and, if it were ever to go down, does not require a logon.... :)

michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Eastman)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:18:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tony summerfelt)
Subject: Re: FreeAgent for Linux
Date: 2 Mar 1999 20:28:42 -0500

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:10:40 GMT, Rudy Taraschi wrote:

> Thanks to all that replied, but none of the solutions exactly fit my
> needs.

> The problem with this is that I read newsgroups with LOTS of traffic
> (this group being one of them).  I would end up with 10% reading
> material and 90% filler.

i used to use freeagent (then bought the commercial version)

now i use slrn with slrnpull. it will do what you want.

> 2) run FreeAgent under Wine

> Beautiful idea,

i went to a lot of trouble to get out from the microsoft strangle hold. i'm
not dependent on windows for anything now.

except for email, i can use slrn, jed (excellent editor), or even emacs and
vi under either linux or windows. if i HAD to go back to windows i'd still
use them, even though i have a agent

for email i've been using mutt.

--
.t
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-------------------------------------

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:28:36 -0600

Jon Wiest wrote:

> As for Netscape, it does lock up Linux.  I have locked up Linux, not with
> any server apps, yet though.  Couple of DOOM sessions tells me Linux is
> pointless as a DESKTOP.

Never seen Netscape lock up "linux" - did you try just typing "killall
-9 netscape", or using "ps" to get the process id and killing it that
way?

Are you familiar with the kill command?

One particularly annoying thing about Netscape is that it is always
contacting my DNS server for no apparent reason.  When I'm not connected
I can't use netscape because it will take forever to start ...

--
Tim Kelley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jérôme Laheurte)
Subject: Re: running executable from cdrom?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:10:18 GMT

Le Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:59:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] écrit:

>/dev/cdrom              /cdrom                  iso9660 noauto,ro,user  0 0

I think you should try

/dev/cdrom         /cdrom          iso9960 noauto,ro,user,exec 0 0

in your fstab.

Jérôme Laheurte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature,
because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the
software engineer." -- Fred Brooks, Jr

------------------------------

From: Luis Sousa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM manager ?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 01:30:34 +0000

Len Cuff wrote:

> Does anyone know of a decent RPM manager -- something that I could use
> to 'browse' through and see what's installed ?
> Cheers,
>         Len

there's glint as a generic X aplication, or kdepackage for KDE.

Luis Sousa.

------------------------------

From: Alex Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux SLOWER than win95?
Date: 2 Mar 1999 17:31:30 GMT

How do you compare the speed? A benchmark, just opening and closing windows
or what? Because if you tried (for example) running some Win game with Wine
then (unfortunately) Microsoft's hellspawned OS wins in terms of speed. But
native Linux versions should not run slower (unless they're badly ported).

PS. I'm not a Microsoft hater, but Win 95, is a bit horrible.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:36:14 -0600

Jon Wiest wrote:

> Uh, if he can't get another console, and he can't get it to stop what it's
> doing, isn't that a crash at the Linux level?  If the crashing X server
> makes Linux inaccessable, what's the difference?
>
> Jon

Well, to the user, there isn't a difference, he might even half to
shutdown.

But the truth is that the kernel really hasn't crashed, and the system
is still accessible.  If the kernel had actually paniced, X would've
dump to a prompt and you would see the kernel messages there on the
console.

To a network admin, it's all the difference in the world since he can
simply telnet in (as can home users with networks).

I've been using linux since April 98, and I've seen some nutty things
happen (very rare), but I've NEVER seen the kernel lock up (panic),
except when I had bad memory in one machine (and it wouldn't even
install).

--
Tim Kelley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg H.)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:30:45 GMT

**Nick Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I'm tempted to say "slower doing what ?", but I wonder about the wisdom
> of running KDE in just 16MB of RAM.  Another 16MB will cost you about 30
> Euros.

   Agreed.  I'm running RH5.2 and KDE with 32 MB of RAM and it's still a
little slow.

   Greg H.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gérard Milmeister)
Subject: Re: Create a DOS bootdisk in using only Linux
Date: 3 Mar 1999 01:32:04 GMT

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:13:59 -0600, Adrian Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is it possible to create a MSDOS bootdisk using Linux only?  Is there a
>boot image out there to do this?  Or are you better off finding a
>DOS-box and creating one there?

Maybe you could take a look at http://www.caldera.com. There
you can download the full DR-DOS on DOS disk images that you
can copy onto your disks.

--
Gérard Milmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tannenrauchstrasse 35

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kernel 2.2.2 & xcdroast0.96e
Date: 2 Mar 1999 17:31:06 GMT

Hi,

I'm running redhat 5.2 on a mixed IDE and SCSI system - IDE HDD w/ linux on +
SCSI Yamaha 4416S CDR-RW unit. Rest of the config = PIII 450, 128 Mb RAM,
ABIT BX6 Rev 2.0 motherboard and Adaptec 2940UW controller.

I upgraded to kernel 2.2.2 and weird stuff happens when I try to use xcdroast.
I type the command 'xcdroast' hit the return key and nothing happens, except
for my machine locking up and xload showing a very steep increase in activity.
I have to power the  machine down to regain control, which ain't good (tm).

When I revert to 2.0.36 everything works just fine again.

I have enabled SCSI control, etc in the 2.2.2 configuration and have read
what I believe to be the pertinent documentation and can't see anything wrong
in my setup. No messages are logged to the console or log/messages.

I'd like to know if anyone is using xcdroast with a SCSI based burner under
kernel 2.2.2 ? Kind of a dumb question, but if there are others out there
using it, then it gives me reason to persevere, or else wait for a patch
to the kernel, presumably in the SCSI sub-system.

IAP
--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'