Linux-Misc Digest #271, Volume #24               Tue, 25 Apr 00 13:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: About Linux booting? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Linux PSX software? (Matthew Haley)
  Re: Can I securely disable password screen (xdm)? (pelzi)
  Re: HOT HD (Edward Lee)
  Re: Firewall with pppoe?? (Randall Lee Mackie)
  Re: New machine advice (brian moore)
  3D support in Linux (Sandhitsu R Das)
  Re: About Linux booting? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Dual boot Windoze & Linux (Mat Capel)
  afterstep (Andrew Wong)
  Re: About Linux booting? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Files just stops downloading at random (The Neuromancer)
  adding swap space (Pirooz Javan)
  Re: Dual boot Windoze & Linux (Dances With Crows)
  Re: About Linux booting? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Doomhack (Vilmos Soti)
  Act! database from Linux Server (Troy Holmes)
  Re: Can I securely disable password screen (xdm)? (Michael Kelly)
  Re: adding swap space (Michael Kelly)
  Re: Dual boot Windoze & Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: New machine advice (Dances With Crows)
  BeOS-fs-driver available únder linux ?? ("Ulrich Reinelt")

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About Linux booting?
Date: 25 Apr 2000 15:45:40 GMT

Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Are you suggesting that a relative newbie should write their own boot
: loader?

No. I'm suggesting they copy a kernel to a floppy with dd, or make
a boot floppy using lilo, or add the stanza "shell=loadlin vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda5 ro" to one of their config.sys menu entries. Or else go for
one of the other bootloaders, or use lilo 24.1 and the option "lba32".
I suspect one of the Boot* HOWTOs might interest them, if they are
having trouble.

: Functionally, for users of the standard loader, this limit exists.

That is a function of the loader they choose to use. It's their
choice, and their responsibility, and nothing to do with linux.
I don't see why a newbie just doesn't use loadlin, since it's such
a no-brainer. For an expert, there is no excuse.

:> Grant Edwards <grant@nowhere.> wrote:
:> : In article <8e4767$5m2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:> :>OrangeDino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :>: Does Linux still have limitation that the root partition should be
:> :>: within 1024 cylinder of a hard disk for bootup from hard disk?
:> :>
:> :>It's never had it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: Re: Linux PSX software?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:00:09 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:42:17 GMT,
 Shane Jarych <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an app that will correctly backup a PSX
>disc? (byte-for-byte)

FWIW, backups of PSX games will _not_ work on your Playstation
unless you have a mod chip installed in it. (Which can be illegal
in some areas).

--
Matthew Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Now showing... Mandrake Linux 7.02

------------------------------

From: pelzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I securely disable password screen (xdm)?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:21:44 +0200

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Mendez) wrote:

> Unfortunately, (at least if your running lilo), I don't believe your box
> will be secure if it is physically accessible without supervision, as all one
> person has to do is choose "linux single" at the lilo prompt to get
> root access and do from there whatever he should want.  I'm still a

There's an obvious way to block this kind of activity: Set a BIOS
password. Nobody will be able to boot the machine without the BIOS
password (unless you have a BIOS with a backdoor password - shit
happens). Finally, to disable someone from stealing your harddisc, just
attach some padlocks at suitable places of the computer case to prevent
opening, and also connect them with some chains to the next concrete
pillar... Okay, there's nothing like absolute security, but that should
do for most cases.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Feldner,  Lehrstuhl EP II,  Uni Bayreuth, 95445 Bayreuth,  Germany
        Phone: +49 921 552617      e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: HOT HD
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:44:25 -0700

That was from an old power supply.  It draws 0.4A (12V*0.4A=4.8W), I believe
that equal amount of heat is generated from the power supply as well.  So 4.8W
from the fan and 4.8W from the power supply.   The fan is very noisy too, that's
the main reason I disconnected it.

From: Randall Lee Mackie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall with pppoe??
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:25:44 -0700

I have ADSL using PPPoE - if you do ifconfig, you'll see your
internet connection is through ppp0:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:63.202.175.107  P-t-P:63.202.175.254  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

I also use pmfirewall, which is easy to set up and use. You answer
questions, and it deals with setting up the appropriate
interfaces. Then, you can simply create the
file /etc/ppp/ip-up.local (giving it executable
permissions) and include the following lines in that file:

#!/bin/sh
#
# start pmfirewall
#
sh /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start

This will bring up the firewall after the ppp connection is established.

Good luck,

Randy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: New machine advice
Date: 25 Apr 2000 16:25:24 GMT

On 25 Apr 2000 07:28:56 PST,
 Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am thinking of buying a new computer but want to buy one
> that was built with Linux in mind.
>
> Any recommendations on new PC's?

Check out http://www.aslab.com/ for very nice systems that not only work
with Linux, but come preinstalled.  (ASL does list all the components
they use, so if you're paranoid, check the reviews of the pieces-parts
-- everything is first class.)

And, nope, I don't work for them, just a very happy customer who wishes
he was rich enough to buy from them more often. :)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux
Subject: 3D support in Linux
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:27:28 -0400

Which chipsets have full 3D support in Linux ?

I don't want to buy a board which gives 3D performance in Windows but only
2D in Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2000 16:28:46 GMT

: In article <8e4ct0$747$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

:>:>: Does Linux still have limitation that the root partition should be
:>:>: within 1024 cylinder of a hard disk for bootup from hard disk?
:>:>
:>:>It's never had it.
:>
:>: Yes it has.  Sort of.  The LILO boot loader commonly used with
:>: Linux uses standard BIOS calls to read the things it needs off
:>
:>To state the obvious, how you make the cpu do a jump to your linux
:>image and start loading the code there is your business, but it's
:>none of linux's.

: That's why I said "sort of".  Read much?

Read lots.  Why?  Your answer is "yes it has".  Well, that's wrong.
Flatly, it has nothing to do with linux, and everything to do with the
boot loader. Saying "yes it has" is wrong and confusing, since it is
wrong.

:>: You're not helping things much.
:>
:>If someone is confused by the truth, then that's a little problem.

: Yes it is a problem. A lot of people are confused by various
: things. That's why they ask questions in Usenet newsgroups.  And
: some of us try to help explain things to them rather than
: posting snotty, misleading comments.

These are snotty, leading comments, thank you. And if you find the
truth misleading, goodbye and god bless ..

:>You are confusing them as to the difference between linux (the
:>kernel) and lilo (a boot loader),

: No I am not.  I stated explicitly that I was talking about the
: LILO loader commonly used with Linux.  Are you illiterate as

Then you are agreeing with me, and there is nothing to argue about.
What ARE you arguing about?

: well as obnoxious? If you don't want to be helpful, you don't
: have to, but there's no need to be intentionally obtuse when
: replying to questions.

: I'm helping one hell of a lot more than you are. With putzes
: like you answering Usenet postings, no wonder people think
: Linux newsgroups are inhabitted by rude assholes.  Now go play
: in alley and leave the adults alone...

I believe you think you are helping by trying to tell people that it HAS
something to do with linux in the following sense: most linux-based
distributions steer you into using lilo as a boot loader, and lilo used
to (and still does in the verson on distros) suffer from the bioses
limitation to 1024 cylinder max in the standard bios call that it uses.

That equates to "nothing to do with linux". And the proof is that you
can boot linux from any position you like, and you can boot any other
O/S with lilo (v20), but only if the target is below 1024 cyl.

If you want to help, try saying "this has to do with your distributers
offering of boot mechanisms, and is not connected with linux itself".
Don't confuse people by attempting to substantiate the fallacy. That's
falling into the hands of the anti-linux propagandists.

Lilo can boot other things too!  NT, for example (or at least it can
chain to an NT loader elsewhere on the disk), and will be restricted
to booting it from a partition that starts below 1024 cyl. You
are not claiming that it is a restriction of NT ... presumably because
you don't think lilo is distributed by M$ as a bootloader (:-) .. for
now).

From: Mat Capel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual boot Windoze & Linux
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:30:14 GMT

I've been told that Linux is better than Windoze so i want to try out
Linux. However, I have to use MS Office an AutoCAD files for work so i
need to be able to read files from Windoze.

Does ne1 know of a way for me to choose when i turn on whether to boot up
Windoze or Linux (if at all this is possible)?

Thanks
Mat

From: Andrew Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: afterstep
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:30:09 GMT

I'm using xwindows in RH 6.0, I'm trying to install afterstep, so far
unsuccessful.  Any ideas??

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:38:13 GMT

Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are you suggesting that a relative newbie should write their own boot
> loader?
> Functionally, for users of the standard loader, this limit exists.

but the limit exists for *all* operating system.  for example, windows
cannot boot either if your bios cannot reach it.  since windows is
often pre-installed early on the disk, linux is unfairly blamed.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: The Neuromancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: Files just stops downloading at random
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:38:09 -0400

I had the same problem.  I'm not sure if this will work for you, but try =
it.  You never know.

Make sure setserial is setting the port to the highest setting your modem=
 supports.  (mine is 230400, but most 56k modems are 115200)

In the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0, set LINESPEED=3D11=
5200 if setserial is set to 230400 and LINESPEED=3D57600 if setserial is =
set to 115200.

I have no idea why this works, but it has been working for me for a long =
time.  It seems that ppp's linespeed must be lower than the speed of the =
serial port.

Hope this helps,
Russ

egretmark wrote:
> =

> Tim,
> =

> You can rest assured that you are not the only person with weird proble=
ms!
> =

> The best of luck,
> =

> Ian.
> =

> "TIM B=C6KSTR=D8M LAURSEN" wrote:
> =

> > Why do I always have to have the weird problems?
> >
> > The set up:
> >
> > RedHat 6.1
> > LT Win Modem PCI (driver found at http://linmodems.org/linux568.zip)
> > 400 MHz K6-II
> >
> > I know that a Win Modem is not the best thing to use with Linux, but =
if my
> > problem is not related to the modem type, I don't want to go out and =
spend
> > money on another modem that won't solve my problem.
> >
> > When ever I dial up the first attempt always fails. Second attempt us=
ually
> > goes through just fine. Already here I get a bit suspicious.
> >
> > Most web sites downloads just fine, but sometimes, especially if ther=
e is a
> > lot of data on the page, the activity on the line just dies. If I hit=
 the
> > reload button, the download stops at exactly the same point again. Th=
> > problem is not restricted to http access, most big ftp downloads fail=
 as
> > well.
> >
> > This is really strange. I've been through the set up several times, a=
nd I
> > can't see what I might have done wrong. Under Windows the TCP/IP set =
up is
> > quite straight forward. The only things I can see is different from t=
he
> > Linux set up is that Windows uses IP header compression, which I can'=
t find
> > any references to in Linux, and that I had to set the DNS to a fixed =
address
> > under Linux.

-- =

         _
        (_)       ,___,                    When 900 years old you reach,
         X        (6v6)             ////   look as good you will not.
         X        (_ (_\           (o o)                   -Master Yoda
 ****{{=3D=3DO=3D=3D}}*****"^"*\\******oOO**(_)**OOo*********************=
*******
**      |W|             rrowan at cyberdude dot com           .-.-.    **=

*       |W|                       *******                    (     )    *=

* My doctor said I was a paranoid schizophrenic. Well, he  .-.\ : /.-.  *=

* didn't actually say it, but we knew he was thinking it. (   .`:'.   ) *=

*       |W|                       *******                  (   /|\   )  *=

**      |W|                    .oooO   Oooo.                `"' | `"'  **=

 * http://welcome.to/no.where *(   )***(   )**ICQ#: 41745433************
        |W|                     \ (     ) /
        |W|                      \_)   (_/
        |W|

From: Pirooz Javan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adding swap space
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:41:31 -0400

anybody know how to add swap space after installation. I need to install
Oracle8i and I need more swap space.

PJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Dual boot Windoze & Linux
Date: 25 Apr 2000 12:49:59 EDT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:30:14 GMT, Mat Capel
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I've been told that Linux is better than Windoze so i want to try out
>Linux. However, I have to use MS Office an AutoCAD files for work so i
>need to be able to read files from Windoze.
>Does ne1 know of a way for me to choose when i turn on whether to boot up
>Windoze or Linux (if at all this is possible)?

Go to http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO and look for "Win95".  Every
box-set distribution comes with a manual that explains how to dual-boot
your system--LILO, the LInux LOader, is capable of booting many different
operating systems and gives you a choice at boot time.  There might also
be some useful information at http://www.linuxnewbie.org .

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:50:38 GMT

In article <8e4h3u$8c7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>Grant Edwards <grant@nowhere.> wrote:
>: In article <8e4ct0$747$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>
>:>:>: Does Linux still have limitation that the root partition should be
>:>:>: within 1024 cylinder of a hard disk for bootup from hard disk?

>Then you are agreeing with me, and there is nothing to argue about.
>What ARE you arguing about?

I'm not arguing with your statement regarding the facts.  I'm
ripping on you for being intentionally misleading and
condescending towards a newbie asking a perfectly valid
question.  Instead of answering the intended question in a
helpful way, you chose to interpret the question literally
because you know by doing so you could post a misleading
answer.

Somebody asked about a linux and 1024 cylinder limit. You knew
damn well that they were referring to the LILO/BIOS limition.
You also suspected that the questioner didn't know enough to
differentiate between the boot loader an Linux itself when he
posted the question.

Rather than explain the situtaion, you attempted to demonstrate
your self-perceived superiority by making a factual but
_intentionally_ misleading statement that Linux doesn't and
never has had such a limit.  You probably walk around kicking
dogs when the get in your way to demonstrate your intellectual
and physical prowess, eh?

>I believe you think you are helping by trying to tell people
>that it HAS something to do with linux in the following sense:
>most linux-based distributions steer you into using lilo as a
>boot loader, and lilo used to (and still does in the verson on
>distros) suffer from the bioses limitation to 1024 cylinder max
>in the standard bios call that it uses.
>
>That equates to "nothing to do with linux".

OK, you are now claiming that LILO (the LInux LOader) which is
used by "most linux-based distributions" has "nothing to do
with linux".

You _are_ getting incoherent.

I know perfectly well what LILO is and what it's limitations
are.  The original poster didn't, and instead of explaining the
situtation you just made a snotty, misleading remark.  The
linux community would be better off without characters like you.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yes, Private
                                  at               DOBERMAN!!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Doomhack
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:51:21 GMT

Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I was trying to find out if there are news of this cool admin utility
> (doomhack, later called doom sysadmin), but the homepage the freshmeat
> record points to, www.geocities.com/doomhack, doesn't seem to exist
> anymore. Does anyone know where I can find it now?

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Troy Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Act! database from Linux Server
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:44:35 GMT

I'm in the process of migrating a shop from Novell v3 to Linux RH 5.2.  They
have a database file served from the Novell Server.  The Database application
runs on the pc clients and access the ACT! database file on the Server.
I plan on using SAMBA on the Server to allow sharing of the printer, and files.
I believe this should work, I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who
has done this before.
Thanks much in a advance

------------------------------

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:56:05 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:21:44 +0200, pelzi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Mendez) wrote:

[snip]

>There's an obvious way to block this kind of activity: Set a BIOS
>password. Nobody will be able to boot the machine without the BIOS
>password (unless you have a BIOS with a backdoor password - shit
>happens). Finally, to disable someone from stealing your harddisc, just
>attach some padlocks at suitable places of the computer case to prevent
>opening, and also connect them with some chains to the next concrete
>pillar... Okay, there's nothing like absolute security, but that should
>do for most cases.

You forgot to mention the underground vault in the mohave desert with
the laser motion detectors.  Oh yeah, and don't wire it to anything
like a network or internet or telephone, or electric outlet! :)

>Andreas.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding swap space
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:58:02 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:41:31 -0400, Pirooz Javan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>anybody know how to add swap space after installation. I need to install
>Oracle8i and I need more swap space.
>
>PJ

Create a partition.  Mark it type swap with fdisk.
man mkswap
man swapon

also read about /etc/fstab file

Mike

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2000 16:45:57 GMT

Mat Capel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've been told that Linux is better than Windoze so i want to try out
: Linux. However, I have to use MS Office an AutoCAD files for work so i
: need to be able to read files from Windoze.

: Does ne1 know of a way for me to choose when i turn on whether to boot up
: Windoze or Linux (if at all this is possible)?

Oh, yes, everybody does know, and this is the standard install configuration.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:08:10 EDT

On 25 Apr 2000 07:28:56 PST, Neil
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I am thinking of buying a new computer but want to buy one
>that was built with Linux in mind.
>Any recommendations on new PC's?

Buy parts and build your own--that way, you know all the pieces are good
quality and the hardware is compatible.  You can put together something
relatively nice for < $1000 these days:

Epox MVP3G2 motherboard w/ AMD K6-2 500     $150 (excellent value)
Sony Trinitron 15" monitor                  $200 (go quality here.)
13.6G Western Digital HD                    $110
ATX midtower case                           $ 70
64M PC100 RAM                               $ 70 (not the cheap stuff!)
Panasonic 32x CD-ROM                        $ 40
ATi Xpert98 video card                      $ 50 (works well)
Ensoniq AudioPCI sound                      $ 30 (ditto)
Keyboard and mouse                          $ 40 or so
Speakers                                    $ 40 or so
Floppy drive                                $ 20

...about $875 with shipping, I'd guess.  Add $110 for a CD-RW, add about
$50 for a Voodoo 3 for 3D gaming, add $90 for an internal ZIP drive, etc.
Put it together yourself if you like that sort of thing, or find a
hardware geek and buy him/her lunch and he/she'll cobble the thing
together.

From: "Ulrich Reinelt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BeOS-fs-driver available únder linux ??
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:05:53 +0200

Hi,

is there a driver for the BeOS-filesystem available

vy 77., uli