From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE kernel....where is it?....
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:35:10 +0000

Philipp Pagel wrote:

> > i've got the cut down version of SuSE 6.0 installed, it dont have the ppp
> > built in for some reason but i cant find the kernal to rebuild it or edit
> > it,......make xconfig in /usr/src/linux dont work as the linux part dont
> > exist.....help if you can....
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if I get your problem. Is it, that you don't have /usr/src/linux ?
> If so: start yast and install the kernel sources. In the normal SuSE distribution
>this is default anyway. But I have to admit, that I haven never seen the "cut down"
>version. What is it - a free demo version given away on some computer fair?

BTW - you can download the SuSE evaluation version from their
ftp-server. Sources included.

PM
--
Information about Sylt and Maerklin mini-club:

www.crosswinds.net/~pmaier

------------------------------

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128 Config
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:34:06 +0000

David wrote:

> I just got a new PCI 128 card for my machine but I'm not sure which
> driver I should use.  I left the kernel compiled with the old AWE64 card
> I had to see if that would work to no avail.  The linux hardware
> compatibility howto says it's supported but how do I get it working?
> Please help.
>
> P.S.  I'm using SuSE 6.1 with kernel 2.2.10

Complete step-by-step instructions can be found on the web-page:

http://www.eco.rug.nl/medewerk/maier/Recreation/html/sb_pci_64.htm

Philipp Maier

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: netscape and newsgroups
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:43:45 +0000

Ramin Sina wrote:

> hog wrote:
>
> > How long did you wait. There are many thousands of newsgroups and the
> > download can be very long, especially if you connection is at  low speed.
> >

> Well I wait for 10 minutes before I quit. But the indicator at the bottom of
> the window suggests that 500K or so was downloaded and I still don't see any
> newsgroup names. In my previous system (same modem, same ISP, suse 5.2) it
> would take  5 to 10 minutes to get all the list, but it would start shpwing
> names immediately.

No, it doesn't (at least not my system). I'm afraid you'll have to wait
longer.

That you ISP does not support Linux shouldn't be a problem. (Mine
doesn't either...)

PM

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buy vs Download Difference: Documentation Only?
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:32:11 +0000

"Ahmad S. Ammar" wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I was wondering if there is a difference in the actual amount of
> software you get if you buy a CD instead of downloading.
>
> For example, RedHat 6.0 and SuSE 6.1 come with StarOffice Personal
> Edition; would you get that even if you download these distributions or
> do you have to buy the official CD to get it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are quite some differences. I have SuSE Linux 6.1, and I started
with the download version.

- The CD's you buy contain much more software you don't have to download
- and you can install it with a simple mouseclick,

- also commercial software such as StarOffice, but also OSS (which might
facilitate setting up your soundcard considerably!),

- and, in general, the CD's you buy work much better. Don't ask why, but
this is my experience.

Philipp Maier
--
Information about SuSE Linux, Sylt and Maerklin mini-club:

www.crosswinds.net/~pmaier

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: rxvt/xterm underenlightenment/gnome
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 08:53:28 GMT

Hi

I've recently compiled gnome and enlightenment and installed them on my
machine.

Problem that I have found is that under enlightenment, when I try to
start an xterm or rxvt, it appears not to have read the /etc/profile
in that the prompt I get is
    bash-2.03$

however, if i start an eterm, it gives me the prompt that i have set up
previously.

strangeness; if i use the same xterm/rxvt from fvwm2, i also get the
prompt i have set up.

does this sound familiar to other enlightenment users and if so, how
did you resolve this little annoyance?

replies would be greatly appreciated

ray

can people cc replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: 03 Aug 1999 01:52:35 -0700

    >> evidence, >> the amount of whining that goes on in newsgroups
    >> ... there are >> no poor people in evidence here, and yet
    >> there's plenty of >> whining about the `gummint' taking their
    >> money.
    >>
    MK> Shrug. Because it's true. It _is_ their money, and the
    MK> government _is_ taking it away. Whether the individual
    MK> mismanages his money or not is _his_ problem only; when
    MK> government mismanages money (and it is routine, try to look at
    MK> European economies), everybody looses. That's group
    MK> responsibility, something that civilized people frown upon.

    >> And you evade the point.

    MK> In what way?

    >> I have no respect for bourgeois whining about their tax bills.

    MK> Religious statement. Identyfying enemy ("bourgeoise"
    MK> stereotype), propose action (tax'em), enjoy their discomfort
    MK> (whining about taxes).

On the contrary, I don't "enjoy" listening to your whining, not at
all.  Don't spend more than you make, you'll have an easy time of it.

    MK> I have no respect to those _anybody_ somehow "should" be taxed
    MK> by government. I wish I had that quote from US judge who wrote
    MK> in the verdict why paying maximum taxes is not any patriotic
    MK> duty, and why there is no moral obligation whatsoever not to
    MK> use legal means to cut one's taxes.

    >> The only reason they do so is because they're too weak to live
    >> within their means -- then, when they overspend, they blame it
    >> on the gov't.

    MK> Which _still_ is their problem only. Regardless whether they
    MK> take good or bad care of their money, it's not justification
    MK> for government taking it away.

You seem to be having a comprehension problem.  The behavior of the
individual is what's under discussion.

    >> The gov't then responds by increasing the tax burden on the
    >> lower classes, who don't vote and therefore pose little threat
    >> at the polls.

    MK> Last time I checked "lower" "classes" (what a stupid Marxist
    MK> term this "class" is) had a right to vote, didn't they.

And your point is?

    >> you're already at a tax disadvantage -- and now, that >>
    >> disadvantage will grow.

    MK> This was a ricochet in the battle between feminists and
    MK> conservatives -- feminists wanted to get a tax funded daycare,
    MK> so conservatives fired counter-torpedo of tax cut to prevent
    MK> the bill for daycare being handed to couples with
    MK> children. Unfortunately, singles have got a part of
    MK> blast. Well, that's what happens when the government becomes
    MK> "involved" in the economy.

    >> Wow!  There's some nice "reinterpretation."

    MK> Shrug. Check facts. That's simply what happened.

    >> Apparently, you're one of those people who think businessmen
    >> will suddenly, miraculously "play nice" if there are no more
    >> regulations.

    MK> Apparently, you are talking nonsense. People play more or less
    MK> similarly, it's only about weapons they have available. If one
    MK> gives minimal regulations AND ensures they can't use direct
    MK> violence, the businesses have no option whatsoever but to
    MK> speak to another person's self interest.

But, you've already argued against gov't regulations.  So, according
to your ideal, there won't be any gov't regulations.  AND, of course,
since your ideal gov't will only be accountable to businesses, and NOT
to individuals, any protection we might have from direct violence will
not be tolerated.

    MK> If you think regulations are going to make companies play
    MK> nicer, you're dead wrong. You might check for example "paper
    MK> satellites" over Europe, satellites "existing" on paper only
    MK> thanks to regulations which various organizations then
    MK> exploit. Law is another weapon. The more of it is there, the
    MK> more it tempts to use it.

    >> Hey -- it could happen.  Monkeys might fly out my nose, too.

    MK> Looks like laws making miracles happen fly out of your nose,
    MK> too.

    >> inject >> a little humour there.  After the "Tax REform Act of
    >> 1986," my >> taxes went up -- and the taxes went way down for
    >> people making >> $10K per year more than I was making.
    >> Entirely predictable.
    >>
    MK> Or else those people will evade the taxes (take note of
    MK> proliferation of tax havens), or if they will be absolutely
    MK> unable to pay, they will pass most of their taxes onto
    MK> customers, Sherlock. That's what happens in Europe, check
    MK> practice if you don't believe theory.  Purchasing power of
    MK> hour of work, etc.

    >> Right, the old "give businesses a bigger tax break or they'll
    >> raise their prices" blackmail.

    MK> It's not blackmail, naiviete, it's 5% annual operating profit
    MK> in most of businesses. From their POV the tax is _simply_ a
    MK> cost: money flows out of company. And what do you do with
    MK> costs in company, Sherlock?

Well, economic genius, you explain why the tax burden on business in
this country has dropped 50% from its level in the 1950s -- and the
1950s were a period of major economic growth.  Yet, even after this
tremendous shift of the tax burden from business to individual, you're
still telling us that business needs MORE tax relief -- yes, let's
just altogether do away with taxing any kind of business income.  It's
been so tremendously successful so far ... "Whine, and it shall be
yours."

Here's a true life joke for you.  About 9 years ago, voters in this
state approved a property-tax limitation law.  Proponents of the law
promised that if passed, the law would result in lower costs for
renters because landlords would pass on their tax savings in the form
of lower rents.  HAHAHAHAHA!  Surprise, that little bit of "trickle
down economics" never materialized.  Needless to say, the major
proponents of this law were ... owners of business properties like
apartment buildings!  They made a killing ... their tenants didn't see
a penny of it.  Worse, the law was skewed so that the major tax
savings went to businesses, not to individuals (no surprise there,
gov't is there for the benefit of business, anyway).

    >> How do you tell a businessman is lying?  His lips are moving.

    MK> How do you recognize religious preacher wants to show his
    MK> obsession to be there, even at cost of making society suffer,
    MK> aka high unemployment and economies having problems all the
    MK> time a la Europe?

I'm sure this statement makes no sense.  I certainly obsess on having
a society in which people are more important than money, while you
obsess on how money is the most important thing in life.  C'est la
vie.

mp

Michael Powe                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Portland, Oregon USA                       http://www.trollope.org
- --
Amount of all stock owned by the least wealthy 90% of America: 18%
Amount of all stock owned by the most wealthy 1% of America: 41%
                     [Economic Policy Institute]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c,gnu.gcc.help
Subject: Re: math.h problem
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:17:20 GMT

On 2 Aug 1999 18:04:20 GMT, Steve Summit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop) wrote:
>> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (Kaz Kylheku) writes:
>>>The -lm kludge is just another way in which Linux is compatible with other UNIX
>>> operating systems. The -lm means that Makefile rules from other platforms work
>>> on Linux. And conversely, Linux programmers are forced to adopt a convention
>>> that will work on many other UNIX-like operating systems, so that it's one
>>> less detail to worry about when porting. There are certain basic things
>>> you can count on when programming on any randomly chosen UNIX; like -lm
>>> for the math library, -O for optimization,
>>
>> The problem can be fixed without breaking the -lm kludge or *any*
>> Makefile rules relying on it: put all the math stuff in *both* libc and
>> libm.  This way, -lm will no longer be necessary, but including it on
>> the gcc command line will cause no harm.
>
>Precisely.

Programmers working with the new setup will now will now regularly fail to add
-lm to their compiler command line.  Everything works fine on the system that
has integrated the math library into the C library. But the Makefile will break
when they port it to another system.

Trivial to fix, but a lot of little trivial things add up to big headaches.

A system that is intended to be compatible with another one should not only
provide the same functionality for correct input, but also the same diagnostics
for what is considered bad input.

------------------------------

From: "Gregor Gregorič" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:16:15 +0200

What is the best program to connect to internet.

Thx

Greg

------------------------------

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Word Perfect filters in SO 5.1?
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:41:23 +0000

Richard Hinton wrote:

> 8/1/99
>
> Has anyone found an ftp site that has Word Perfect filters in 5.1.
> I saw somewhere that there were WP filters in SO 5.1?

AFAIK the WP filters are only included on the CD. Thus if you need them,
you have to buy the CD.

Philipp Maier

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ICQ and linux client
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:45:24 +0000

Larry Clark wrote:

> man I tell you I have spent the WHOLE day triing to get a client for ICQ
> that will work...not a dam***** thing...nothing,.....what a drag...think I
> will sleep now....help!!!!!!!

Do you use KDE? If so, try KXICQ. It works just fine, expect that you
cannot transfer files...

PM

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 03 Aug 1999 02:39:58 -0700

    ATZ> Donovan Rebbechi schreef:

    >> and this has been >> demonstrated in the USA and Australia.  >
    >> >Nonsense. It is happening. Where have you been the last few
    >> years. Companies >using the possibilities there are. Perhaps
    >> the head-office in Washington and >the factory in Argentina.

    >> Ah yes, of course. All the companies are moving out of the USA
    >> and Australia.

    ATZ> Do I claim ALL; NO. But it is happening. An example taken
    ATZ> direct from the real word. Dutch shipyards are building ships
    ATZ> in Poland cause labour is cheaper there than in The
    ATZ> Netherlands. After the ship is build it is shipped to The
    ATZ> Netherlands for the finishing touch (engines, wiring,
    ATZ> accomodation etc). The company stays in The Netherlands but
    ATZ> much of the labour is done in an other country. Result: less
    ATZ> labour stays in The Netherlands.I do not blame Poland or the
    ATZ> shipyard for this.  One of the reasons of this expensive
    ATZ> labour are the high taxes.

    ATZ> I know this kind of thing happens al the time, and expect
    ATZ> more to follow. Face it; in The Netherlands labour costs
    ATZ> about $35 per hour, in other countries it can be as low as $4
    ATZ> per hour for the same activity. The clothing industry takes
    ATZ> full advantage of this. And I know others too.

The problem with your theorizing is that it's naive -- one
dimensional.  For example, one of the major business costs in the USA
is environmental protection.  In Japan, the population tends to be
fatalistic about pollution -- some Japanese sea harbors are so
polluted that the surrounding populations have cancer rates hundreds
of times the norms.  In the USA, this sort of pollution is now
considered intolerable.  Time after time, the pro-business lobby in
the USA has tried to get environmental controls removed.  But it has
turned out that a clean environment is a major concern of the voting
public and thus far efforts to return to the stinking, poisoned days
of 50 years ago have been rebuffed.

Many US companies, like Nike, have moved manufacturing operations
offshore to take advantage of lax environmental controls and cheap
labor.  But there has been a major backlash against this kind of
behavior.  As people have become aware of the kinds of conditions
endured by workers, American companies have found it necessary to
spend a lot of money to combat seriously bad PR.  They've also been
forced to make concessions to the nation's political conscience by
taking measures to protect foreign workers.  Americans are wussies --
they want cheap goods but they want clear consciences, too.

Finally, the major reason for American companies to move offshore is
not direct profits from sales, it's tax savings.  Most of the
companies moving their manufacturing plants out of the country get
major tax breaks for doing so.  In addition, by firing the employees
in their American plants, they are able to play fun accounting games
with billions of dollars of pension and retirement funds.  One of the
worst effects of this coldblooded financial maneuvering is precisely
that workers with decades of retirement funds accumulated suddenly
find those savings transferred from themselves to a leveraged buyout
for millionaire company owners.

There's no doubt that moving mfg plants out of the USA is a major
economic concern -- but the primary reasons are a mixed collection
abetted by a heavily pro-business government.

mp

From: Kenny Kim Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: /etc/fdprm and High Capacity Formatting
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:02:27 +0800

Hi everyone! I want to know how to format floppies to high capacities such
as 1722, 1760, 1840, 1920, etc for making rootdisk. Is it necessary to edit
/etc/fdprm? I glanced at this file as well as its man page but can't figure
out how to add entries for 1760/1440. Anyone could show me his fdprm or
point me to some sources of information?

--
Everything is not as it appears to be.

------------------------------

From: Kit-pui Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: How to copy boot sector to another disk ???
Date: 3 Aug 1999 09:45:48 GMT

Hello,

I am running Linux on hda3 as root disk. I am trying to
move the whole system to another disk (hdc).  I have
managed to fdisk, mkfs and mount the new disk and dd
everything from the old hda3 onto hdc3.
I then run lilo after modifying the first line of
lilo.conf to
     boot=dev/hdc

Then I re-cabled the new hdc to hda and try to boot
it. Disappointingly, it came out with grabbage.

Is there anything wrong with the the use of LILO ?
How can I simply copy the boot sector ?  Will "tar"
or "dd", etc do it ?

Please drop a copy of your help to my email address:
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Many thanks in advance !
KiT

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Recall Last Command
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:11:21 +0100

Duy D. wrote:

> "M. Cao" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you tell me how to customizing environment to recall last
> > commands from the keyboard.
> >
> > If possible, I love to know in Korn, Bash, Csh and Bourne Shells.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Minh
>
> bash, tcsh, and zsh support this by default.

you forgot to mention *how*!!!

Press the up-arrow key for bash ....

gus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c,gnu.gcc.help
Date: 3 Aug 1999 10:53:59 GMT

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:17:20 GMT, Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Programmers working with the new setup will now will now regularly fail to add
>-lm to their compiler command line.  Everything works fine on the system that
>has integrated the math library into the C library. But the Makefile will break
>when they port it to another system.
>
>Trivial to fix, but a lot of little trivial things add up to big headaches.
>
>A system that is intended to be compatible with another one should not only
>provide the same functionality for correct input, but also the same diagnostics
>for what is considered bad input.

>From the GNU Manifesto: "GNU will be able to run Unix programs, but will
not be identical to Unix. We will make all improvements that are
convenient, based on our experience with other operating systems."
Integrating the math library into the C library would be such an
improvement.

Gergo

--
Parkinson's Fourth Law:
        The number of people in any working group tends to increase

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+

------------------------------

From: Dominique Micollet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with LILO and kernel size.
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 13:04:56 +0200

Dave Davenport wrote:

> kernel I've been able to compile has been about 1.2 megs.  Is there
> anything I'm missing or will I have to pare more support out of it?
>
> --Dave Davenport
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hong Kong, 2057 Netbook:
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/6973

make bzImage

--
      Cordialement

Dominique MICOLLET       Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Laboratoire LE2I    Universite de Bourgogne
9, Avenue Alain SAVARY  BP 400        Tel     : +33/(0)3-80-39-59-27
21011 DIJON CEDEX       FRANCE        Tfx     : +33/(0)3-80-39-68-69

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: RW ATAPI CDROM how to use
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:14:48 +0100

I'm running a home brew linux based on 2.0.36. I can read my memorex
crw22 atapi cdrom, but don't know how(or tools) to use it for writing
cds.

I need this as RH 6 won't let me upgrade; I've never used RH before
having bought it. It won't let me upgrade over a non RH system. An
install will wipe my system.
--
Robin Becker