Linux-Misc Digest #310, Volume #19                Fri, 5 Mar 99 02:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: More bad news for NT (Michael Powe)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Harry)
  Re: Linux SLOWER than win95? (Student)
  Re: Installation problem with IDE CDROM drive (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Compiling a c++ program (William Wueppelmann)
  kernel 2.2.2 panic: hda not found. (Olivier Hislaire)
  Re: Public license question (Fred Flatstone)
  kcore (Eric Ho)
  Re: Adjust time drift? (Stef)
  Re: Is Slackware is based on libc5? (Micha³ Kuratczyk)
  Re: Public license question (jik-)
  Re: X artifacts after X is shutdown? ("Howard")
  Re: netcape + freshmeat.net then crash? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Public license question (Simon Hill)
  Re: Question about ZIP Disks with Linux (Nguyen Dai Quy)
  Re: Linux Internet Cafe idea (Sam Vere)
  Re: best offline newsreader? ("Richard Latimer")
  Re: Speed of accessing tousands of files in a directory? (Philip Lijnzaad)
  Re: Microkernels are an abstraction inversion (Francois-Rene Rideau)
  undefined symbol: __register_frame_info (Daniel Kollar)
  UMSDOS on FAT32? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  BCTEL ICD / Linux info sought (Glenn)
  netcfg ("Levi C. Maaia")
  Re: netcape + freshmeat.net then crash? (Matteo Corti)

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: 04 Mar 1999 02:45:15 -0800

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:08:50 -0500

> But this still doesn't get rid of the superfluous GUI on a
server machine, does it? <

No, though there are ways of doing this (mentioned elsewhere).
However, this is not a course of action I recommend!

Also, it's debatable whether a GUI is superfluous on a server,
though I'd certainly agree with anyone who argued that improving its
performance is worth sacrificing the stability of the server.

Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Student)
Subject: Re: Linux SLOWER than win95?
Date: 4 Mar 1999 10:13:26 GMT

Raf Meeusen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) tried to convey the following message:
: I installed the latest Linux Mandrake (=Redhat+KDE) on a P60 with 16meg ram.
: I use a swap partition of 70 Mb.

: But it is much slower than my windows 95.
: Is this normal?
: Is there a way to speed it up?
: (like recompiling the kernel)

The best thing you can do is to buy more memory. 16 megs for X-windows is
not much. And for a few dozen dollars you can double or even triple your
memory.

Greetings & success!
der Joachim

--
Computional linguistics student at Tilburg University,
The Netherlands

A true hunter weeps at a merciless kill (The God Machine)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Installation problem with IDE CDROM drive
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:10:32 GMT

"Hyong J. Cho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi

>I have trouble to install Redhat Linux on my Dell 486 machine.
>I have a double speed Creative CDROM drive with SB16. Linux seems not detect
>my CDROM drive.

Either the drive itself is indeed an IDE drive, then you'll have to
tell Linux about the IDE port on the SB16 (lookup the settings [I/O
address and IRQ] in the Device Manager in Win9* or in the driver
arguments in your config.sys) , or it's a proprietary drive .

If it's IDE, add

linux ide2=<I/O>,<IRQ>

at the boot: prompt or when asked for additional arguments during
the installation process.

If it's a proprietary drive, you'll need to load the appropriate
kernel image with additional parameters (depending from the drive type).

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: Compiling a c++ program
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:17:19 GMT

In our last episode (04 Mar 1999 14:39:29 -0500),
the artist formerly known as Johan Kullstam said:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann) writes:
>
>> I'm trying to make a program written in C++.  When I run the makefile, I
>> get the following output:
>>
>> cc  -O3 -g -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-format -W
>> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -I -fno-strength-reduce
>> -DREGPARAM="__attribute__((regparm(3)))"  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I./
>> -DBROKEN_JOYSTICK_H= -DFRODO_HPUX_REV=0 -DKBD_LANG=0 -o main.o -c main.cpp
>> cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
>> make: *** [main.o] Error 1
>>
>> I can manually compile main.c using
>>
>> g++ -c main.cpp
>>
>> with no problems,
>
>since it works with g++, why not give in and use g++!  it's not all
>that hard.  use make CC=g++.  sometimes the answer really *is* staring
>you in the face.

Well, that did seem to work.  I'll admit that I don't know too much about
makefiles, so I tried just changing the values supplied in the makefile,
but it only included the CXX and CPP.

Anyway, it compiled and linked, so thanks for the help.  I'm sure that this
is still going to bother me until I figure out how to make it work as
intended, but for now, problem solved.

cheers

--
William
It is pitch black.  You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Olivier Hislaire)
Subject: kernel 2.2.2 panic: hda not found.
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:24:05 GMT

Hi there,

I am ugrading one old stuff from 2.0.34 to 2.2.2, but when I try to
boot with the new kernel, I got the following message:

hda driver not found
kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:02

What's wrong ? The disk is not a new one:

Disk /dev/hda: 8 heads, 39 sectors, 529 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 312 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1            1        1      132    20572+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2   *      133      133      529    61932   83  Linux native

and I kept the same kernel config:

#
# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m           <- OK, this was 'Y' before.
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set

Any help appreciated, since you imagine how long it takes to re-build
a kernel here ...

Olivier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

------------------------------

From: Fred Flatstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 04 Mar 1999 16:19:36 -0800

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

snip

> If you can manage to dynamically link without copying any copyrighted
> material (header files...) then your program need not be released under the
> GPL (RMS does not agree with me on this).

Of course RMS's opinion is irrelevant, except in his decision of whether
or not to sick the FSF's lawyers on you (or exert extra-legal pressures
on you) for what he thinks is your violation of your licence to use the
SW owned by the FSF. (The FSF DOES have proprietary interests in the
SW, after all.)  The only opinions that count are those of lawyers,
judges, and juries.  If you expect RMS's opinion to match those people's
opinion, you don't know much about RMS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Ho)
Subject: kcore
Date: 4 Mar 1999 11:30:56 GMT

Hi,

In my /proc directory, there is a "kcore" file which is
over 130Meg, and is growing everyday.
Can someone tell me what it is ? Can I just delete it ?
I am running Slackware, kernel 2.0.35, KDE 1.0.

* If it is not too much trouble, please email me a copy
* of your reply.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Stef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adjust time drift?
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:31:01 +0100

Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Get chronyd. It is an ntp implimentation designed for systems (like PCs
: ) which are only sporadically connected to the net, and are often
: switched off. It tracks your on board hardware clock so that when it is

Thanks for your suggestion. But since my machines are connected to the
internet permanently, and also run permanently, I went for xntpd

Cheers
Stef
--
WebMaster D-WERK
President SOS-ETH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micha³ Kuratczyk)
Subject: Re: Is Slackware is based on libc5?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:52:48 GMT

Benny K.Y. Li wrote:
>as subject.....
Yes.

>if "yes", do they plan to migrate to glibc?
Sure, but as far as I know not to soon.

--
Micha³ Kuratczyk

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:27:56 -0800

> 6) If a program calls the functions of a library but is not linked to the
> library (doesn't share process space nor is part of a single executable),
> is the program considered to be a derivative of the library?

I would bet that the use of a library constitutes fair use.  So, the
only thing that would apply is distribution of the library, not its
use.  Otherwise anyone linking to the system libraries on win95 without
purchasing the right is in violation...I belive that there are case
examples about why this type of thing is not true.

The use of system calls would not be covered by the IP laws at all...you
cannot restric someone from writing software which makes use of your
system...

Course I am not a lawyer(tm), I just read Title 17 about a 1/2 dozen
times along with a few q&a's at the same gopher I found title 17.

------------------------------

From: "Howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X artifacts after X is shutdown?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:09:21 -0000

a little unrelated - but I had a similar problem with a Mystique many moons
ago - after 20 mins or so pixels would disapear or be mis-displayed.

After testing in another machine we decided that it was a video memory
fault.
Replaced the card under warranty - no problems

Hope this helps

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: netcape + freshmeat.net then crash?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:43:54 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Roger Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Under RH 5.1 and a 2.0.34 kernel, I have experienced crashes with both
> > Netscape 4.08 and 4.5 when accessing Freshmeat.  It doesn't happen every
> > time I access Freshmeat, but it hasn't happened on any other sites.
>
> I had the same problem with several Unix variants (Linux, SGI). The only way I
> found so far to prevent crashes/freezes of Netscape was to disable JavaScript.
>
> --
> Alain Borel
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I found that the KDE browser (kfm) is quite much faster at displaying large
tables, like freshmeat.net

hope it helps...

--
humanisme: Le Bonheur c'est les Autres http://www.chez.com/hap/
---

------------------------------

From: Simon Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:47:36 -0600

Emile van Bergen wrote:

> The question is the following. Assume that I'd like to build a
> proprietary small database application using the GPL'ed (not LGPL'ed!)
> gdbm. Not by extending gdbm (i.e. copying and pasting), but just
> {statically | dynamically} linking with it.
>
> How does the 'derived work' clause apply here? It's a library, but it
> isn't LGPL'ed. When I statically link my app with gdbm, I don't copy any
> gdbm source into my program, however, I do copy _binary_ pieces of gdbm
> into my program. (If I dynamically link my app with gdbm, I guess the
> end user performs the act of linking).
>
> I haven't a clue about how this is to be judged under the GPL. I've read
> the license myself, but found it rather vague on the 'derived work'
> part.
>
> Solutions, anyone?

It is a derived work if you statically link, and you have to GPL it.
That's the reason for the LGPL, to allow the inclusion of binary pieces
without having to GPL your code.

If it's dynamically linked, you avoid this, I think. Now, I'm not sure
about this, but I think that you still can't distribute your code
together
with gdbm as a whole package.  You would have to provide instructions
for
the end user as to where and how to obtain gdbm, and that your program
requires gdbm to be installed before it will work.

Anyone who knows more about this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Simon Hill

------------------------------

From: Nguyen Dai Quy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Question about ZIP Disks with Linux
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:49:44 +0100

Le jeu, 04 mar 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
>Does anyone know if and when I finally get my ZIP disk drive to work
>with Linux, if I can then access my DOS formatted ZIP disks?

YES ! My Zip is Zip 100 PLUS. I use driver "imm" (insteed of ppa). And it works
beautifully !

With DOS formatted ZIP, you can mount with "vfat" type.

>Or will I have to format them with a Unix/Linux Partition thus making
>it non-cross platformable?
>
>Ian
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Look for HOWTO.
Hope this help.

QUY.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Vere)
Subject: Re: Linux Internet Cafe idea
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 05:16:34 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:24:17 +0000, James Myles
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snippage>

>There is an internet cafe in London running SuSE 6.0 on all their
>machines and it's fine.  Why pay licences for NT when you can configure
>one linux box and kickstart the others with the same configuration all
>for the price of one and with no need to have expensive high-spec
>hardware running on all the box (required for NT)

Where?

Who?

Email/web address anybody?

If nothing else I'd like to exchange notes with these guys.

<more snippage>

Sam Vere

<-------------------REMOVE SPAMTO TO DIRECT REPLY------------------->
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | THERE IS NO TERIYAKI, ONLY ZUUL!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          | - Akane's cooking,

------------------------------

From: "Richard Latimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:58:54 -0800

For those Linux/Unix users offering advice on news readers,
you would be better able to understand what newbies are
looking for in a newsreader if you sat down at a Win setup
and played with the free newsreader that comes with Win98,
i.e., Outlook Express.

Download headers for a number of newgroups. Select some
video messages and send Express off to download them
while you look at more headers.

Select some audio file postings for download.

Select some pictures files from a binary group.

Send Express off to get those messages while you punch
buttons to combine/decode your video clips. Click on the
resulting video clip files to watch them while Express gets
your other items.

When the audio message postings are done. Punch on the
icons to play.

Run thru the newsgroup with the pictures. As you move from
header to header, Express will show you the pics inline. No muss,
no fuss.

Now that you have an idea of what you can do with simple freebie,
ask yourself why there is nothing remotely as capable for the
Linux/Unix user. Unix is over twenty years old and cannot consume
the output it serves up anywhere near as well as MS products do.

This is very ironic. What's the reason for this?

richard

------------------------------

From: Philip Lijnzaad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Speed of accessing tousands of files in a directory?
Date: 04 Mar 1999 10:19:03 +0000

> foo is a \n delimited list of all files on which we will operate.  There
> might be 3000 lines.

> for i in `cat foo` ; do
> operate $i
> done

> Will there be a problem with the command line length if there are 3k
> lines in foo?

yes, I think that's even the case for Linux. There is a limit on the stuff
that gets passed in to exec* kernel calls using the char**argv and the
environment.  It looks like the total string length of all args and envvars
is the relevant quantity, not the number of args per se. Anyway, the limit is
imposed by the kernel, somewhere, and you'd have to recompile the kernel
(and/or perhaps your compiler) to change it. On other Unices, I hardly can
get to more than 1000 arguments at a time. Above that you could either use:

> while read ; do
> operate ${REPLY}
> done <foo

> be better?

which is kinda slow. Better, use the command xargs, which allows you to do
things in chunks of a size of your choosing, along the following lines:

   cat foo | xargs -n500 bar -qwer

this will invoke

  bar -qwer WORD1 WORD2 WORD3 ... WORD500, then
  bar -qwer WORD501 WORD502 WORD503 ... WORD1000

etc. until foo is exhausted. WORD1 etc. is first (whitespace or newline
separted) word in foo, WORD2 the second, etc. Not entirely uncool, I wouldn't
think.

> Another question for filesystem experts though, when I call my `operate'
> on a small set of 430k+ files, will the shell take an indecently long
> time to search the directory inodes?

hm. You probably want to do this in perl, using its directory primitives. One
thing that speeds up parsing the file names is to at least always cd to the
directory in question.

> I can do this with 20k+ 0 byte files?

sure. Actually, this may always take up at least BLOCKSIZE bytes (4k or
so). Not sure of this though for zero length files. Make sure your file
system has got enough i-nodes.

                                                                      Philip

--
No electrons were harmed during the composition or transfer of this message
Philip Lijnzaad, [EMAIL PROTECTED] | European Bioinformatics Institute

------------------------------

From: Francois-Rene Rideau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microkernels are an abstraction inversion
Date: 04 Mar 1999 13:50:02 +0100

SS> Stefan Skoglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CB> Craig Brozefsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
REL> Roger Espel Llima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
KZM> Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

SS> is that they are pretty hard to understand for someone who didn't
SS> learn functional programming from the beginning ie started to work
SS> with Basic,C or shudder C++.
CB> They are not really that difficult to learn.
KZM> Unless you've been raised on C++.
I've been raised on BASIC, 6502, 8088, Pascal, HP28 RPN, C, and C++,
and functional languages never were difficult to learn to me.
On the contrary, they were quite an enlightenment to me.
Actually, most functional language hackers I know learnt BASIC, C,
COBOL, or FORTRAN first (and so did the first LISP and ML hackers!),
and never had particular problems with functional languages.

If functional languages are as difficult to learn as some people say,
maybe this makes us all functional language users geniuses,
but I'd rather think that we're not and that people who fear functional
languages or failed to appreciate them are in bad state of mind.

Learning languages is a matter of being open-minded:
You have to go past the unusual syntax of a language,
that seems truly horrible at first (I remember my first C experience!),
and focus on the semantics or the language,
the programming styles that it allows for,
and the insight they give upon computer science.
Trying to emulate C programming style in LISP is doomed,
just like trying to emulate old line-numbered BASIC style in C was doomed.
The syntax of a language is nothing, and is just overhead in
really learning and using a language (which is why a language like LISP,
with so little special syntax, is so much easier to learn than C);
the real think that counts is semantics and associated programming styles
and to grok a language, you must open your mind to it.

If pure C++ people have problem with other languages,
maybe it has to do with C++ being such a confusing language,
that cripples the mind of people who learn to accept a horrible design
or lack thereof without question (and C++ has grown to be even more bloated
since the times I originally learnt it, and thought it was so great).
Maybe also people have so much difficulties learning C++,
whose semantics is even more complex than its syntax,
that they extrapolate this extreme difficulty
to learning languages in general.

CB> As for the OSs, people have put ML on hardware, and have built
CB> webservers in ML from the packet driver up.
KZM> Who, where?
Peter Lee and other fine people of the Fox project at CMU.
They have a Web server running since around 1994,
entirely written in SML from packet driver up; check it at:
        http://foxnet.cs.cmu.edu/HomePage.html

REL> For most of my programming needs, give me a well-designed,
REL> very-high-level, *procedural* language, and I'll be happy.
You might not like it, but ML (SML or OCaml) is *precisely* that.
Except that "procedures" are called "functions".
Now, that shouldn't be a problem to a C programmer like you!
With a completely different syntax, CommonLISP and Scheme are also thus.
And if you loosen your requirement for high-levelness, go FORTH :)

[ "Faré" | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project!   http://www.tunes.org/  ]
[ FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient System ]
[ Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for  a Free Reflective  Computing System ]
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing.           -- Alan Perlis

------------------------------

From: Daniel Kollar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:18:43 +0100

I get this error when using imlib applications.
I.e. gqmpeg, windowmaker:setstyle, ...?

Current configuration:
imlib-1.9.4
gtk+-1.2.0
glib-1.2.0
gcc-2.7.2.3

What's wrong?

--
Daniel Kollar   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage        http://www.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de/~kollar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UMSDOS on FAT32?
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:21:33 GMT

I currently have an UMSDOS partition on a win95b partition.
I've been thinking about converting the partion to fat32
so that I might gain a extra couple hundred MB of storage.
Does anyone know if you can put a UMSDOS partition on fat32?

--
Fred

------------------------------

From: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BCTEL ICD / Linux info sought
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:24:28 -0800

Hi I'm scheming on getting BCTel's Internet Call Director service, but
nobody at bctel knows jack about anything outside of windows (and
probably inside too, hehe).

Does anybody know how this system works?  Will it simply not be engaged
when I surf linux?  Or will it send nasty signals that make call waiting
look freindly in comparison?

Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have any input.

PS For those outside of bctel's realm  ICD is a (windows)program?/system
that allows a windows user to be on the net and recieve thru a pop-up
window notification of incoming phone calls and direct that call either
to be forwarded or answered.

Thanks  Glenn

------------------------------

From: "Levi C. Maaia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netcfg
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:51:41 GMT

Ahh!  I'm new at Linux.  I'm trying to setup a web server but I can't
even get into netcfg.  when I type netcfg at the command line it tells
me that tinker is not properly setup in Python?  I tried messing around
in python but I can't find docs on that.  Any help is appreciated
--
Peace,
Levi

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.comcreations.com/levi/

QUOTE OF THE E-MAIL:
*******************
"Before they invented drawing boards,
 what did they go back to?"

               - STEVEN WRIGHT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matteo Corti)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 4 Mar 1999 13:27:39 +0100

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:43:54 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Roger Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Under RH 5.1 and a 2.0.34 kernel, I have experienced crashes with both
>> > Netscape 4.08 and 4.5 when accessing Freshmeat.  It doesn't happen every
>> > time I access Freshmeat, but it hasn't happened on any other sites.
>>
>> I had the same problem with several Unix variants (Linux, SGI). The only way I
>> found so far to prevent crashes/freezes of Netscape was to disable JavaScript.
>>
>> --
I experienced the same problem with RedHat 5.2 and the following kernels:
2.0.36, 2.2.0, 2.2.1 and netscape 4.5.
SuSE 6.0 with the same set of kernels and same netscape versions works
without problem.
Both have XFree 3.3.3 and KDE 1.1.

        Matteo