Linux-Misc Digest #310, Volume #27                Thu, 8 Mar 01 01:13:04 EST

Contents:
  I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and it
won't boot with it. ("Newbie from Win98")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("Newbie from Win98")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've  (Dean Thompson)
  How to make the computer CD-bootable ? (Arctic Storm)
  strange root passwd problem! ("Sudhakar R.")
  crontab q? ("Sudhakar R.")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD and
it won't boot with it. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: booting problem ("Sudhakar R.")
  Re: Why won't RedHat 7.0 run a binary which worked in RedHat 6.x? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: hang at real time clock driver (jay)
  Nixware.com / Everything for your Ultimate Linux Box! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: strange root passwd problem! ("David Murray")
  Re: Trying to use automated MP3 for store intercom ("David Murray")
  Re: newbie- installation problems (Dean Thompson)
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  SOLVED ("Newbie from
Win98")
  Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  SOLVED. ("Newbie from
Win98")
  Re: Odd behavior at login (Dean Thompson)
  Re: Linux & Win share mail files on dual boot pc (Dean Thompson)

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a CD
and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 03:10:41 -0000

Dear All,

please can you help me?  I've included more information as well as adding
another Newsgroup (alt.os.linux) so I am re-posting this.  Please see if you
can help me as I have now spent over 2 days searching the internet and
reading everything I can get my hands on but so far it hasn't helped me.

I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or something?
I can see the ISO file on the CD under Windows 98.

I used Nero Burning ROM software v4.0.5.0 that came free with my Creative
CD-RW.  I can see the ISO file on the CD in Windows.  There was a mention in
the Nero Help File of being able to Burn an Image but this option was not
where the help file said it would be so I could not do a "Burn Image".
Something tells me this is my downfall.

I do not have any copies of Linux on this box and I have not installed Linux
before.  All the HOW-TO's mention making an ISO bootable from within Linux,
none actually specify how to do this completely under Windows.

The filename is: live-evaluation-i386-70.iso

It's my first time trying Linux so please be gentle with me, no flames
please.

Thanks for any help you an give me.

Martin.

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've burned a
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 03:19:36 -0000

An example of a frustrating How To is here.  The question asks exactly what
I want to do, the reply mentions how to do it under Linux and points to an
out of date, non-Windows way of doing it.  Then the person who asked the
original question writes back saying:

"Jim,

Thanks for your information. And ironically, shortly (next day) after I
wrote you the email, I did find out what was going wrong and how to fix it.

WinOnCD did have the capability, but it was somewhat a "hidden" feature of
sorts.

I do appreciate your response, though.

-Lewis"

He didn't even mention how he did it in WinOnCD!!!!  ARRggghhh!

Please please please can some one help me to make my ISO file, which took
hours to download, into a bootable CD so that I can install my first ever
Linux OS.

And my PC is bootable from CD.  I've been able to run YAST2 (setup program
from SuSE) on a floppy and it can detect my hardware so I am confident the
install will be okay once it gets going.  YAST2 stops when it gets as far as
asking for the boot CD, I tell it my CDROM and it says that the CD is not a
valid, please insert CD 1.  I also tried out a floppy from SuSE with the
"bootdisk" file and that also asks for a CD.  It must be that the ISO file
copied onto a CD is not enough.

Basically I've copied the ISO straight to a CD.  Should I do something else
to put it on the CD?  Please remember I do not have any Linux on my PC, just
Windows 98.

news:986t5o$ba0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  I've
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:18:47 +1100

Hi!,

[..]

> I've downloaded the SuSE EVal 7_0 ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?
> I've burned a CD and it won't boot with it.  Do I need to unzip it or
> something? I can see the ISO file on the CD under Windows 98.

No a ISO file is a complete file system which is a binary representation of a
CDrom.  What you need to do is find a package which allows you to "Burn a
image".

> I used Nero Burning ROM software v4.0.5.0 that came free with my Creative
> CD-RW.  I can see the ISO file on the CD in Windows.  There was a mention
> in the Nero Help File of being able to Burn an Image but this option was
> not where the help file said it would be so I could not do a "Burn Image".
> Something tells me this is my downfall.

It would seem that if this is truly the case then you have a crimped version
of Nero.  I would suggest that you get the latest version of Nero which can be
found at: http://www.nero.com/en/demo.asp

Load it up and select the burn image option from the "File Menu".  Then
specify your ISO file and put in a blank CD-ROM.  This should load the file
from your disk and burn the binary image to the CDROM drive which in most
cases will be a bootable CD-ROM.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to make the computer CD-bootable ?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:29:36 GMT

I have a computer that's not CD bootable.
I would like to install something from a CD, and the installation would be
much easier if the computer were CD bootable.
Is there a way to boot from the CD, after booting from a Linux floppy, DOS
floppy, or something like that,...
Yes, there's a way to install the software even if the computer is not CD
bootable, but that would be much more difficult and take more work.

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: strange root passwd problem!
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:30:53 -0500

I run a RH 7.0 system and today i noticed something very strange. When I
telnet to the localhost from an XTerm under a user login and try logging
in as root I get invalid passwd. But I have no problem logging into the
system as root from Kdm or the text consoles directly. su from under a
user shell also works.

So, is this a bug or some kind of safety feature!?
Thanx
-sud

------------------------------

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: crontab q?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:50:13 -0500

I want to run a script which will look thru all my users directories and
get rid of their .netscape/cache once everyday.

Can someone please tell me how to do this and if u already havea script so
mail it to me. I presume this can be done with a crontab file in
/etc/cron.daily/ .

Thanx in advance,
-sud

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CD and it won't boot with it.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:56:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Newbie from Win98 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is no mention anywhere on the SuSE FTP site of how to burn the ISO
> image or make the ISO file write itself and aself expand at the same time.

Don't be silly. When you copy a painting you don't copy the frame. When
you copy a floppy you don't make a file the size of the first floppy
inside the second. Copy means copy. Nothing more, nothing less.

> I've spent 2 days searching the internet and reading the HOT-TO's.  None of
> them specifically say the whole steps involved to successfully download an

Oh, go waaaay!

> ISO, burn it to a CD and make it a suitable start up disk - under Windows.

Of course not. Ask in a windows helptherapy session for how you copy a
cdrom.

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: booting problem
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:53:22 -0500

>My machine is a dual boot system.
>Loaded using LILO . Now I have a problem. The machine was not shut down
>properly . It was rebooted several times.
>After that , kde does not come up.
>Also, the system says that the file system on hda5 has bad blocks or
>corrupted .
>I can get to the shell using the root password for adminstration.
>Do not know what to do from here.
>Tried startx and kde from the command prompt.
>No success as such.
>Can anyone help me to figure out what to do.
>Can I uninstall at this point the linux and reinstall it.
>Or what should I do

if you have nothing critical on the system go ahead and do a fresh
install. u don't have to do an "uninstall". when you install (i'm assuming
u are using a RH distro) choose to format the necessary partitions where
your linux will reside. this shud get rid of the "bad blocks" problem.

-sud

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why won't RedHat 7.0 run a binary which worked in RedHat 6.x?
Date: 7 Mar 2001 23:16:48 -0500

[This is off-topic for c.o.l.d.system.  Followups redirected.]

In article <986s4i$i5b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Mardahl wrote:
> [8] ls -la ./lmgrd
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 helens   79         284720 Nov  2  1998 ./lmgrd*
> [9] file ./lmgrd
> ./lmgrd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses
>shared libs), stripped
> [11] ldd ./lmgrd
> /usr/bin/ldd: ./lmgrd: No such file or directory
> [12] ./lmgrd
> ./lmgrd: Command not found.
>
> *Why* on earth would this happen?

It probably can't find the dynamic linker /lib/ld-linux.so.1, which is for
libc5 binaries.  Run "strings ./lmgrd | grep ld-linux", and see whether it
refers to this linker (as opposed to /lib/ld-linux.so.2, the libc6 dynamic
linker).

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hang at real time clock driver
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 04:17:01 GMT

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it. I'm also going to put  in a new cmos battery.
jay

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Nixware.com / Everything for your Ultimate Linux Box!
Date: 08 Mar 2001 05:11:04 GMT

http://www.nixware.com

Need Linux Software/ Games? Need a Linux Book? How about a Network card or Hub for
your new Linux network?

Come visit Nixware.com and search for what you need!

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange root passwd problem!
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:51:16 -0600

Well, RedHat 6.0 and up doesn't, by default, allow anybody to login as root
unless you are at the console.  What purpose this serves I don't know!  I
always hear that people could watch you type in the root password with a
packet sniffer.  That may be true, but they could still watch when you use
the "su" command to become root.. Anyway, even though you are at the
console, it is going through telnet and the system assumes you are an
outside user.
--DavidM

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying to use automated MP3 for store intercom
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:48:29 -0600

Writing a script already occurred to me.. Except for one big flaw.  I am not
capable.  I may end up having to get a book and learn to do this just so I
can achieve this one thing.. If that is what it takes.  But I was hoping
somebody would come up with a neat little trick to avoid that.  or perhaps
there was a program I wasn't aware of that already does this task.
--DavidM

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...
>"David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Maybe somebody can help me out here.  I work at an electronics store and
I'm

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: newbie- installation problems
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:28:10 +1100

Hi!,

[...]

> Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it better to go into the
> installation with unallocated space, or a pre-partitioned ext2? What do
> you recommend for a swap size? I have 320 meg RAM.

When I am doing installations of Linux, I normally use utilities like
partition magic to free the space on the hard drive for the installation, but
I don't let programs like partition magic create the partition for me.  I
prefer to leave utilities like disk druid or fdisk to handle the native
partitioning.  Just clear the desired space on the computer and let Linux
handle the partition of its drives.

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: I've downloaded the ISO file.  Now what do I do with it?  SOLVED
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 05:31:56 -0000

Dear All of you,

Thanks or your time with this.  I looked in the alt.comp.periphs.cdr
newsgroup and the answer was there.

Here is how you make a ISO file into a BOOTABLE CD
This is Courtesy of Joel:

####################

Yanni wrote:

> I have to be dumb I guess.
>
> I have an ISO file.  I want to burn the files within that ISO file
> onto a CD disk.  When I use NERO I get the ISO itself on the disk, not
> the files within.  What am I doing wrong?

This is same with *all* CDR programs *not* just Nero alone.

1. If you want to burn a CD image (.ISO, .BIN, .NRG, .IMG and so on)
     then you will have to tell the CDR program that you want to burn a
     CD image by selecting "CD image" mode.

The reason you get another .ISO because you you burnt CD image as DATA
     then you get another DATA (.ISO file is also DATA).

2.  In general, if you want to burn Audio then you need to select
     "AUDIO" mode, "VIDEO" mode for Video, and "CD IMAGE" mode for CD
image.

Now, you want to burn an .ISO (CD image creates by EZ-CD) using Nero
then you will need to tell Nero to burn the .ISO as CD image by
following the steps below.

>From MAIN MENU you select

"File" -> "Burn Image" and tell Nero to locate and load *.ISO (you may need
to check *.* all files) then
"WRITE" to burn the CD image to CD as CD image.  And you just use the
DEFAULT setting (Mode & Block Size) and it would work.

So, if you want to burn other CD image like BIN/CUE or .NRG then tell
Nero to load *.CUE or *.NRG (by default it will search for *.NRG).

###############

End of Joel's help.

It does work as I have just done it and I am at the last part of my first
even Linux install with SuSE 7.0 Eval. And it's ony cost me 2 CD's...so far,
as well as severla days reading and searching.....it had better be worth it
in the end!!!

Thanks again everyone.
Martin.

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 05:33:59 -0000

Dear All of you,

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Odd behavior at login
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:47:28 +1100

Hi!,

> Now, when I login, after the issue and motd display, I get:
>
> bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
> bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> It comes up twice like that before I get a command prompt. It just started
> happening today. I get the errors no matter which account I log in with
> (except root). Nothing in my .bashrc or .bash_profile settings seems to
> pipe any output to /dev/null, where is this coming from?
>
> Any ideas or advice of where to look or what may be causing this problem?

I have had these problems in the past as well (especially with the Mandrake
installation).  Check your permissions on your root directories and see
whether or not they allow the user the ability to see the files.  When, I was
installing Mandrake onto my machine I went tight security but it basically
fried all of the file permissions which I had to reset myself.

As a normal user see if you can execute the command: /bin/ls -ld /dev
                                                     /bin/ls -ld /dev/null

You may have to reset your file permissions.

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
netscape.communicator.unix,netscape.general,netscape.public.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux & Win share mail files on dual boot pc
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:53:42 +1100

Hi Chuck,

  Your best bet as a solution to this problem is to use a mail protocol like
IMAP.  This stores all of your folders on a central server and allows you to
access your mail in the same manner no matter what operating system you use.
For example, you could use Outlook in Internet mode to read your mail on the
PC and Netscape under Linux.  Both clients would show you the same folders and
the same mail messages.

  You also wouldn't have to worry about mail duplication or anything like
that.  Anyway, this is one suggestion.