Linux-Misc Digest #310, Volume #20               Sun, 23 May 99 07:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Mac-emulation on Linux? (James Stafford)
  Re: XWindows benchmark app? (Tim Sutherland)
  Re: Changing from RH to SuSe (John Hong)
  Re: Changing from RH to SuSe ("muzh")
  First time install - help! (Steve Johns)
  Re: There is something wrong with the clock on your computer or on your  (meany)
  Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC (Vidar Andresen)
  RH6: GCC wont install properly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  linux setup problem (Steve Johns)
  Re: Is Unix a single user operating system? (was: Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with
backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend) (Mike Thornburg)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Iain Georgeson)
  Re: prevent detection of 2nd HD (NoSpam)
  Re: modules.dep missing (Silviu Minut)
  Re: MP3's Play To Fast (Silviu Minut)
  Re: RedHat 5.2 install. SMB and FTP options dont work. (Tim Moore)
  which is faster - rsynth or festival? (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Unable to access mounted partition (Tim Moore)
  Re: prevent detection of 2nd HD ("Colin McKinnon")
  Re: SCSI Question (Justin The Cynical)
  Kernels 2.2.x don't boot ("Arkadiy Korobeyko")
  is there any OpenSource video app projects  ? (Zeljko Blace)
  Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC ("Curt")

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: Mac-emulation on Linux?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:45:37 -0700

> :>2. Buy a Macintosh and dual boot with Linux/MacOS
>
> : This is also a viable option, but somewhat more expensive :)
>
> Might save the most headache because some of the things may not work
> otherwise, and then these students probably want to concentrate on
> learning and getting their A's instead of fighting over something not
> their fault. Of course, the hackers among them would find it fun.

This is what I did for my last computer class that required a Mac. I bought an
old Power Mac, upgraded the RAM, and didn't have to worry about getting my
homework done. I think that Executor is a great program, a old trail version of
Claris Works seemed to work fine with it, but what abnout the other programs I
might need to use? Director and etc. might not work.

jamess

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Sutherland)
Subject: Re: XWindows benchmark app?
Date: 23 May 1999 07:47:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe Strout wrote:
>Is there an application that calculates benchmarks, in particular for
>graphics operations under X?  Drawing rectangles, copying regions, and
>generally shoving pixels around?

x11perf

--
>From 0 to "what seems to be the problem officer" in 8.3 seconds.
                -- Ad for the new VW Corrado

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Re: Changing from RH to SuSe
Date: 23 May 1999 08:15:44 GMT

Charles Stroom ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: How difficult would it be to upgrade from RH 5.1, 2.0.35, with many
: additions in source (i.e. not RPM's), modifications, replacements
: of RPM binaries by later compiled binaries from sources etc. to
: SuSe 6.1?  I have heard good words about SuSe's quality, and I am a
: bit put off by RH's 6.0 price tag here (about US$ 95) vs SuSe's US$
: 40 or so.

        Not difficult at all.  Simply wipe out your RedHat partition and
install SuSE.  There, no difficulty. ;-)

------------------------------

From: "muzh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:26:38 +1200

I would say, don't try to upgrade.  Instead, back up any important files (eg
the /home directory), then wipe the hard disk and install from fresh., then
restore the /home directory.
I love SuSE!!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve Johns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: First time install - help!
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 15:40:21 -0400

I have just downloaded Linux 2.2
This is my first look at linux. Any help would be appreciatied.

I need some advice on how to unarchive it onto a DOS 7 machine.

FILENAME: linux-2_2_0_tar

I have hit the site linuxberg.com and looked at the help files, and had
tried to unpack the archive as it showed me to, but it did not work.
I got the 'BAD COMMAND OR FILENAME' message.

The help file said to type:
        tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

This is what I tried:

        tar zxvf linux-2_2_0_tar
        tar zxvf linux-2_2_0_tar.gz

Nothing works.

From: meany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: There is something wrong with the clock on your computer or on your
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 16:13:55 -0500

DGH wrote:

> There is something wrong with the clock on your computer or on your NNTP
> servier because your post has the time and date of: Wed, 22 Sep 1999
> 20:41:52 -0500
>
> meany wrote:
> >
> > ok!!!!!!!!!!!, finally a way to use the one way surfboard external modem
> > with linux!!!!!!  I have text instructions and screen shots available
> > at http://www.owenmeany.com/linux/howto.shtml
> >
> > No more suffering through mediaone's unwillingness to help!!!!

hahhaa yeah i know, i set my date up and forget to reset...hahah thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 07:08:32 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, FoT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steve Snyder wrote:
[...]
>> #cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>> ---------------------------------------
>> DEVICE="eth1"
>> IPADDR="24.4.162.173"
>> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
>> ONBOOT="yes"
>> BOOTPROTO="none"
>
>Both cards are assigned to the same subnet (255.255.255.0), is this
>correct?

Net-3-howto:

  For administrative reasons some time early in the development of the
  IP protocol some arbitrary groups of addresses were formed into
  networks and these networks were grouped into what are called classes.
  These classes provide a number of standard size networks that could be
  allocated. The ranges allocated are:

               | Network | Netmask       | Network Addresses            |
               | Class   |               |                              |
               |    A    | 255.0.0.0     | 0.0.0.0    - 127.255.255.255 |
               |    B    | 255.255.0.0   | 128.0.0.0  - 191.255.255.255 |
               |    C    | 255.255.255.0 | 192.0.0.0  - 223.255.255.255 |
               |Multicast| 240.0.0.0     | 224.0.0.0  - 239.255.255.255 |

_If_ that is strictly followed the netmask should be 255.0.0.0 on an
'IPADDR="24.4.162.173"'

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH6: GCC wont install properly
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 08:31:49 GMT

Hi all.
I have RedHat 6.0.
I try to install GCC from the RedHat Contributed RPMs CD.
When I try to compile a program GCC complains of missing stdio.h
Sure enough, there is no header file in /usr/include.
I then comment out the #include <stdio.h> in my program and rerun
GCC.  It then complains of missing crt1.o.  Any clues?

Running rpm -aq | grep gcc reveals:
gcc-2.8.1-1
gcc-c++-2.8.1-1
gcc-libc5-2.7.2.3-1
gcc-libc5-c++-2.7.2.3-1
gcc-libc5-objc-2.7.2.3-1
gcc-objc-2.8.1-1
Running rpm -aq | grep libc gives:
glibc-2.1.1-6
libc-5.3.12-31
gcc-libc5-2.7.2.3-1
gcc-libc5-c++-2.7.2.3-1
libg++-libc-2.7.2.8-1
libg++-libc-devel-2.7.2.8-1

BR,
Arve

From: Steve Johns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux setup problem
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:30:09 -0400

I have just downloaded Linux 2.2
This is my first look at linux. Any help would be appreciatied.

I need some advice on how to unarchive it onto a DOS 7 machine.

FILENAME: linux-2_2_0_tar

I have hit the site linuxberg.com and looked at the help files, and had
tried to unpack the archive as it showed me to, but it did not work.
I got the 'BAD COMMAND OR FILENAME' message.

The help file said to type:
        tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

This is what I tried:

        tar zxvf linux-2_2_0_tar
        tar zxvf linux-2_2_0_tar.gz

Nothing works.

From: Mike Thornburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system? (was: Wanted: Database/Contact
mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend)
Date: 23 May 1999 09:43:38 GMT

In article <7i3sjn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Daniel Ts'o <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        All of the above is correct. The original Unix including V6, V7,
>System III and at least early System V only permitted one group membership
>(gid) at a time. Groups were considered marginally useful because of this.
>        The designers of 4.2BSD sought to rectify this by allowing multiple
>simultaneous group membership. So decendents of 4.2BSD have this feature,
>including SunOS... which is the OS of the Sun 3/60.

As I recall, in those Unices that allowed only a single group
membership at a time the newgrp command was used to change your
group ID to one of the other groups you were allowed to be a member
of.

That is to say, you could be listed as a member of more than one
group in the /etc/group file, but each time you needed to use the
access privileges of a group that was different from the group ID
of your present shell process you needed to issue the newgrp command.
This gave you a new shell with a new group ID.  However, this shell
was still only a member of a single group: you lost the access
privileges of the old group when you gained those of the new one.

Mike
--
Mike Thornburg    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Iain Georgeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:49:57 +0100

writes
[post]
>--
>
>    Microsoft subjected the world to DOS until 1995.             |||
>         A little spite is more than justified.^^^^             / | \

If only it /had/ died 4 years ago...

        Iain, forced to use DOS every working day.

--
The Linux kernel has actually not changed at all since January, '94. Linus
just increments "version.c" once every 48 hours and unleashes the "change"

------------------------------

From: NoSpam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: prevent detection of 2nd HD
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 09:01:15 +0000

James Daniels wrote:

> ... Howerver if you are using APM, I believe this is
> why the drives will spin up or down.
> Jim

I'm more than happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but as I
understand it, APM never "spins disks up", just down. It's
all about power *saving* and [power wise] spinning up is a
very expensive operation...
--
               "IR35: New Labour, Old Habits!"
I still remember the last Labour government; electricity strikes,

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: modules.dep missing
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:58:36 -0400

depmod -a 2.2.9

will create it for version 2.2.9 and will place it in /lib/modules/2.2.9.
Try it.
make modules_install doesn't do it.

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MP3's Play To Fast
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:19:55 -0400

I'm even surprised you can use x11amp. On my RH6.0 it crashes horribly when I
load a list.
With xamp I have no problem whatsoever.

Silviu Minut

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 03:31:39 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 install. SMB and FTP options dont work.

> everyone. The IP address of this machine is 192.168.103.50. and the name is
> xyz. After using supplemental disk and partitioning i configured my network
> adapter. For network configuration i chose the following options:
>
> IP Address: 192.168.103.144
> Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (same as that of WIN98 machine)
> Default Gateway: 192.168.103.144
> Primary Nameserver: 192.168.103.144

Assuming this is a private point to point network:

1. Don't name a Default Gateway.
2. Don't name a Primary Nameserver since you aren't running a name service on the
linux machine.
3. Use different networks rather than different nodes for point to point.
192.168.103.50 and 192.168.104.50 for example.
3b. Get basic ping going on both sides across the wire before adding other layers
(SMB in this case).  Make sure it survives a reboot.
4. Read the Ethernet-HOWTO.

--
Direct replies to username 'timothymoore'

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: which is faster - rsynth or festival?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:39:34 GMT

I'm trying to get near-real-time synthesis on a P-75 with only 16
MB of RAM (not running X, of course!)

Does anyone know which is faster?  Also - is rsynth being actively
maintained or is it "legacy"?

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Sitaram

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 03:40:13 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to access mounted partition

> /dev/hda1   /mnt/cdrive ntfs  user,ro  0 0
>
> My problem is that I can access the mounted directory only when I
> am logged in as root. No other user can access it, even though they
> can mount it. Permission on the /mnt/cdrive directory is drwxrwxrwx.

/dev/hda1  /mnt/cdrive  ntfs  defaults,noauto,user,ro  0 0

From: "Colin McKinnon" <colin at wew dot co dot uk>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 11:27:35 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <7i4076$o4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>How can I prevent Linux (or Windows, for that matter) from knowing about
>the 2nd hard disk? I would like it to stay spun down, but every now and
>then linux accesses it for whatever reason. (Windows does too.) The OS
>is RH5.2.
>
>--
>Replies please cc my email (my server expires
>postings very fast): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>No spam please.

Even when it's not mounted?

Have you tried hdparm -Y?
(don't know what this does myself - just something I read on a man page).

--
+------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Retype address to send Email | spambots, please send your|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SCSI Question
Date: 23 May 1999 10:28:36 GMT

On 21 May 1999 10:22:34 GMT, John Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->      Would there be any problem with Linux if I have two SCSI cards
->that use the same kind of chipset?  In this case, a ASYS SC-875 and ASUS
->SC-200, both use NCR/Symbios chipsets (875/810).  Will this be any
->problem having both in the same machine for Linux?

        You should not have any problems at all.  In fact, having the same
chipset is a Good Thing, as you don't have to load in to memory any more
drivers.  The driver for the first card should see and work with the second
card just fine.

--
"So does the Leatherman Micra.  It has tweezers too but I find that I need
the pliers on the SuperTool in order to deal adequately with my nasal hair."

------------------------------

From: "Arkadiy Korobeyko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernels 2.2.x don't boot
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:19:51 +0300

No one of compiled kernels (I tried 2.2.3 through 2.2.9) could boot my
laptop.
Everything stops at "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel"

I compiled with and without modules support and with different
configurations,
also tried zImage and bzImage.
Same occured with floppy boot - only uncompressing and stop.

With 2.0.36 everything running fine/

Where is the problrem ?

Arkadiy

------------------------------

From: Zeljko Blace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.apps
Subject: is there any OpenSource video app projects  ?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:07:32 +0200

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 06:14:55 -0500

Steve Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 21 May 1999 23:53:51 -0700, Harley Waagmeester wrote:
>
> >Steve Snyder wrote:
> [snip]
> >IPADDR="24.4.162.173"    <-------
> >
> >You have assigned your internet /cable modem address to your eth1 network
card,
> >that won't work.
> >Give your eth1 card a local ip like you have for the eth0 card.
> >I'll give a tough sketch of what needs to happen:
> >if you give eth1 an ip address of 192.168.0.13,
> >Then you need :
> >route add 24.4.162.173  gw 192.168.0.13
> >route add default  gw 24.4.162.173
> >
> >I'm probably wrong about the syntax
> >Just give the eth1 a local ip address and leave the gateway address as
> >24.4.162.173,
> >and maybe the startup scripts will set the default route up correctly
> >
> >I hope someone explains this better, or gives the right numbers to plug
into the
> >config files :))
> >
> >The point is that you want a local ip for the eth1 interface card and use
that as
> >the gateway out
> >of the machine, and the default route is a "logical route" that flows
through the
> >hardware route.
> >
> >The 24.4.162.173 is the address of the cable modem device

This is probably the IP for the internet side interface of the cable modem.
What is the IP for the subscriber side of the cable modem?   Usually
something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1

> I followed your advice about, but I'm still seeing the same ping/telnet
> behavior.  This is my updated config:
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> ------------------------
> NETWORKING=yes
> FORWARD_IPV4=yes
> HOSTNAME="corona.snydernet.lan"
> DOMAINNAME=snydernet.lan
> GATEWAY=24.4.162.173
> GATEWAYDEV=eth1
>
> # /sbin/ifconfig -a
> ----------------
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:9A:82:E5
>           inet addr:192.168.0.12  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:531 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:357 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe400
>
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:C8:01:C8
>           inet addr:192.168.0.18  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:354 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800

Both of your interfaces are on the same subnet.   You need to have them on
separate segments, like
192.168.0.0 on one and 192.168.1.0 on the other.

Also 192.168.x.x  addresses are not internet routable, so using one of them
for your 'outside' interface won't work unless the cable modem is run a NAT
(similar to IP masq).   If cable modem is not running a NAT, you'll need to
get a valid internet address for the 'outside' interface on your system,
from your ISP.

> # netstat -nr
> -----------
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
> 192.168.0.12    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
eth0
> 24.4.162.173    192.168.0.18    255.255.255.255 UGH       0 0          0
eth1
> 192.168.0.18    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
eth1
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth0
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth1
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
lo
> 0.0.0.0         24.4.162.173    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
eth1

> As before, the attempt to ping @Home's DNS (IP = 24.4.162.33) just hangs.
> Attempting to telnet to the same IP address still gets me this message:
> "Unable to connect to remote host:  No route to host"
>
> Does the config info above look ok?

Nope.