From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unexpected daily disk activity...
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:12:04 -0700

MH wrote:

> Every day, at 4:00 AM, I experience a lot of disk activity.  I have
> configured a daily backup at 2:00 AM using crontab--but have not
> configured any other scheduled routines.  I can find no scripts in
> /ect/cron.daily that would explain this activity.  I'm running RH 6.0
> with kernel 2.2.16
>
> The following scripts exist (which I did not create) in /etc/cron.daily:
>
> logrotate.cron
> makewhatis.cron
> slocate.cron.
>
> None of those scripts indicate a time, nor do they seem to be anything
> that would generate several minutes of sustained disk activity.
>
> What is going on?  And what are "makewhatis.cron" and "slocate.cron"
> doing?
>
> --
> "For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not
> true.
> In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the
> true;
> it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false."
>
>                                         -- H. L. Mencken

Thanks, everyone!  Great responses.  I forgot about the "locate"
database.  I always use "find", since I've experienced some difficulty
with locate in the past and have become comfortable with "find".

I'm still confused about where the script that's created when you #
crontab -e goes, or what it is named.

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Borodin)
Subject: Re: Only root can run StarOffice 5.2
Date: 2 Aug 2000 01:21:03 GMT

In article <8lrpg6$738$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Fung Wai Keung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded (from Sun Microsystem) and installed (w/ root
> access) StarOffice 5.2 on my Linux-Mandrake 7.1.   However, only root can
> run staroffice.  Any other users can't run staroffice.  Staroffice always
> complains about "Can't find /apps/office52/user/sofficerc" when any user
> (other than root) run it.  But /apps/office52/user/sofficerc indded
> exists!  How to solve the problem so that any user can run staroffice?

You have not installed it as network version, only as user:

- uninstall it

- install it again with the option "-net"

- you may use a simple startscript for users
        ( put in: /usr/local/bin )

========snip===========

#!/bin/bash

#startskript für staroffice

if test -f $HOME/Office52/soffice || test -f $HOME/office52/soffice  ; then
        echo
        echo "starting Staroffice ..."

        if test -f $HOME/Office52/soffice ; then
                OFFICEDIR=$HOME/Office52
        elif test -f $HOME/office52/soffice ; then
                OFFICEDIR=$HOME/office52
        fi

        export OFFICEDIR
        exec $OFFICEDIR/soffice
        echo
        exit 0
else    echo
        echo "Please make a network installation only!"
        echo
        echo
        echo "This will install your personal soffice folders"
        echo "into your home directory!"
        echo
        echo "please accept /$HOME/office52 as "
        echo "default folder"
        echo
        echo " After completion of installation start with soffice"
        echo

#       exec /opt/office52/program/setup
        echo
        echo "now start with soffice again!"
        echo

fi

----snip------

                Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. (Horatz)
                 http://octopus.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de

From: "Sam Tang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.nl.comp.os.ms-windows,alt.nl.comp.os.ms-windows.nt,alt.nl.comp.os.netware,alt.uu.comp.os
Subject: Linux City!!!
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:52:51 +0800

Linux City!!!
http://compweb.uhome.net

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape plugin for java?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:33:33 -0700

If you need a plugin to run Java 2 applets.  Go to www.blackdown.org

      Java(TM) Plug-in 1.2.2.px
      File name: /opt/netscape/plugins/javaplugin.so
      Blackdown Java-Linux Java(TM) Plug-in

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: complaints
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:38:12 -0500

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:29:37 -0500, Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >To each his own.  I run a file from autoexec.bat that backs up my Windows
> >registry and some data files each time I boot Windows. As you can see, I
> >don't boot Windows very often any longer.
>
> Depends on your definition of "often", I guess.  To a lot of us
> old-time Unix geeks, more than a few times a year is considered
> often.  ;)

Old-timer, I ain't (unless you're talking birthdays :-(); geek, I'm certainly
not.  Once I got x configured like I wanted it, I quit being a Windows *user*.

> I've got to admit you're doing a lot better than most of the
> Windows users I know.  One company where I interviewed about a
> year ago rebooted all their NT fileservers every night because
> that's the only way the could keep them running.

"Where do you wish you could go today?"

------------------------------

From: "Tim Prince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:48:45 -0700

At the risk of getting blown off the planet, I'll mention that
cygwin/W2K is improving faster, much more attractively priced, and gives
more opportunities for GPL software and portability to invade the
Windows world.

--
Tim Prince
news:8m731k$lfb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Tony Mantler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 01:51:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Henry Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

: Tony Mantler wrote:
[...]
: > FPU emulation works just fine. Slow, but fine.
: >
: > If you have experienced a specific bug that's preventing FPUE for
: > working for you, please post to the Linux-Mac68k list with the details.
[...]
: What machine do you have a working linux without an FPU?

C610, with a b0rken LC040 no less. Userspace stuff tends to die when
executing an FPU instruction that lays within a cacheline of the end of
the page, but that's the CPU bug at work.

Other than that, it works just fine. It should work flawlessly on 030
systems, though painfully painfully slowly. (especially with e2fsck,
since it's heavy on both FPU and SCSI)

One of these days I'll wire up a workaround for the LC040 bug, since
iirc it affects A-Traps on earlier LC and full 040s too, and that ain't
good. However, that day is not today, and probably won't be for quite
some time.

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler         Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada                       http://www.escape.ca/~eek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.
Date: 2 Aug 2000 02:00:03 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Andrew N. McGuire "
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
]$$
]$$   Subject: I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

]I generally refer to Mandrake as RH/Mandrake just to clarify much
]of the lineage of Mandrake.  Much like many say Linux, and some
]say GNU/Linux to clarify the lineage of most of the tools for the
]OS.  If this is a bit confusing, I apologize.  Perhaps I should just
]say Mandrake.

No, you should have said "in file, version 3.30"

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with HP DDS-2 tape drive on Red Hat Linux 6.0.
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:59:45 -0400

I have a Hewlett Packard C1559A DDS-2 SCSI DAT drive on its own
SCSI adapter. It has worked just fine since I got this machine
in February or March. I run BRU 15.1 on it to do backups, but
that is probably not the problem. BRU writes files to disk,
pretty much as would find and cpio. It then plays the tape back
to be sure the checksum of every block is correct (and normally,
it is). I do a nearly full backup every morning a little after
1AM. Takes about 2 hours, but I do not care as I am asleep at
the time.

Today it wrote the backup, but complained on playing back that
the checksums failed after a certain point on the tape.
I ran a cleaner tape through the drive and tried again and BRU
complained that either the tape was write-protected, or running
at the wrong density. I ran mt status and it said it was not
write-protected and that it was running ad DDS-2 density. In the
BRU manual, it says it gives this message whenever the first
write to a tape gives an error, since it cannot always be sure
what the cause of the problem is, just that it could not write
the first record to tape.

I tried to read some tapes, and that works just fine. I then
tried just "cat littlefile >dev/st0" as root and it failed with
a write error. Since it will not do even a cat, I assume we can
ignore BRU as part of the problem.

I tried writing on 2 fresh tapes and they all failed the same
way.

I was fortunate enough to be able to reboot the machine and that
fixed the problem, but I do not feel I should have had to do
that. Is there a way to get the driver of the SCSI or the DDS-2
tape drive to restart that is not as drastic as rebooting the
machine? Is there a better way to handle this problem? Is this
even the right newsgroup to ask this?

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: "jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: fwd: SuSE Linux 7.0 released
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:02:17 -0700

"Jerry L Kreps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> While SuSE 7.0 may not be worth an upgrade from 6.3 or 6.4, it still is a
good
> distro for those trying Linux or SuSE for the first time.   Prior to 7.0,
SuSE
> distros came on 6 CDs plus a 480+ page printed manual.  That combination
is now
> being packaged as the PRO version, while a 3 CD version is 'personal'
version.
> The PRO is about $80 and the Personal is about $30.  The net effect of the
7.0
> release is to double the price of the 6 CD set and offer a cheaper
version.

<sigh> SuSE got me trhough those awkward newbie days, but Debian keeps
looking like a better and better long-term alternative.  And Potato's due
any day now...

-jeff

------------------------------

From: L Slade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Dual NICs of same type?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 02:12:24 GMT

Thanks,
When I type ifconfig as you said I get no messages.
Both nics are working because I can ping them.

The TCP tab I was talking about was in
"Control Center"->"Network"->"TCP/IP"
This brings up 3 tabs:
"Identification", "IP_address", "DNS_Server"
This could be Corel Linux specific and still doesn't recognize my second
card.

Next step: sound card.

------------------------------

From: "IvanWoehr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: MP3's skip : How I solved it
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:12:52 -0600

Gordon, just wanted to let you know that I get 24/MB per sec on my HD with a
very new system (intel 810e flexATX motherboard Celeron 500).
ACtually upgading to a newer motherboard would help you, not an older
system.:)

No Idea how to fix your kde thing though. It seems it has taken a while for
you to get going. Couldn't you now just backup what you have or copy it to
another partition and then reinstall? Back up things like /etc so you can
compare yor configuration etc.

That's what I would suggest -- seems the quickest way to get you back. Yah I
know, its the Micorosft way, but oh well, whatever works.:)

Gordon Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
consequences
> > before you go playing with something you obviously don't understand.
>
> What don't I understand Master Yoda?  I don't need to understand the
> source code of hdparm to *use* it.  I read the man page.  It wasn't
> all that helpful (like most man pages).  I took the risk.  I hate
> slow hard drive performance.  Linux screwed my hard drive over a
> bit.  End of story.  I still have slow hard drive performance and
> always will until I decide to buy a machine that is completely Linux
> friendly (i.e. 3 year old hardware) or until Linux catches up (at
> which time I'll probably have even newer hardware).
>
> > For the record, BTW, Linux systems aren't the only ones that can fail
> > to activate DMA on 'capable' equipment and bomb miserably when it's
forced.

> The difference is that Windows enables it when it's supported.  This
> is because the manufacturer includes drivers for Windows.  Linux
> doesn't enable it half the time when it IS supported.  So, you can't
> trust it.  You end up trying hdparm anyways.  The man pages for
> hdparm are hopelessly outdated (there's no *current* list of
> supported hard drive controllers in the man pages).  Oddly enough, I
> can get 6MB/sec using hdparm with the -c3 option.  Well, at least
> that's an improvement.  But if I don't mess with "things I clearly
> don't understand" I'll never get 6MB/sec.  I'll get 3.
>
> The funny thing is that Promise did write a driver for Linux.  I
> guess it didn't include DMA support either.
>
> > I've done it to my share of Windoze systems in past, and they sure
didn't
> > like the results to the point where a format was in order.
>
> Oh, well you clearly didn't understand what you were doing, then, I
> guess. :P
>
> > >Not everyone has a backup solution for their hard drives.
> >
> > Not neccesarily for your hard drives, but for your important data. If
this
> > becomes a situation where you have to re-install, take this as a lesson.
> > Keep your user data and config files seperate. I've almost always had my
> > /home partition kept seperate from /, so that I could re-install without
> > losing it and so that I could more easily back up all my user data. I
have
> > a script running on a cron job every Sunday night around 5 AM that backs
> > my /home partition into a gzip2'ed tarball which I move to a ZIP drive.
>
> I already said I had previously backed up all my downloads and my
> home directory.  There are configuration files scattered about the
> system though (i.e. to get Glide to work, to get other apps global
> configs to work, to set up global configs for window managers, etc.
> etc.)
>
> > >I have a CD-RW drive,
> >
> > Then you have 6.5 times more backup storage space than I have. You can
> > make backups of static data to CDR's, and backups of other data to
CDRW's.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: unable to determine tty
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 02:15:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am trying to telnet to a Redhat 6.1 box and
> get "unable to determine tty name".
>
> The local keyboard is not working which I assume
> is the same tty problem.
>
> Does anyone know how to get around this/fix this?
<snip>

This is kind of a guess (since I don't run a telnet server...)
but verify that your /etc/fstab has something like:

none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Carnivore and Privacy: An Oxymoron?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 02:12:16 GMT

Check out <a
href="http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-63.html">thi
s</a>

Here is a quote from the article:
"When one really thinks about it, the main reason for computer security
is data privacy. People protect their systems so that unwanted people
can't see data they're not authorized to see. Well, what if there was no
way to protect your privacy because all incoming and outgoing data was
being viewed by a third party. This is the potential power that the FBI
wields."

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:25:49 -0700

John Hasler wrote:

> blowfish writes:
> > Red Hat, Debian et al are ALL selling the GNU-GPL stuff for money.
>
> Wrong.  Debian sells nothing.

http://linuxmall.com/shop/01496?cat=ROOT&sort=2&vid=&search=debian&SID=90de0b724faa8352f505f5269a3dc28b&Start=

It shows a $17.95 price tag there. ;-)

> > I know exactly what free software are. But my reason of using "free
> > software" is not because they're free I always BUY the "official CDs/DVD
> > releases,
>
> Then you don't know what free software is.  It's free as in free speech,
> not as in free beer.

No, I *NEVER* care about beer. Free or not free. :-)

But Free Speech is what I like, and treasure.

But I also want to support those who contribute to the good stuff. ;-)

Alex / blowfish.

--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,