Linux-Misc Digest #302, Volume #20               Sat, 22 May 99 10:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!! (Graham Murray)
  H E L P  PLS. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: a quick newbie question... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Getting Started with Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Loooking for bzip2-aware tar (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
  Re: Getting Started with Linux (Zeleng)
  Re: Oracle8i for Linux / MySQL 3.22.22 RPMs specifically for Redhat 6.0 (Glibc-2.1 /
kernel 2.2) (Chris Mauritz)
  Xf86 servers for linux ("Marc")
  REAL newbie question ("Marc")
  Re: Mindcraft may be partly right about Apache (Dave Seyster)
  Re: NT the best web platform? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Getting rid of a RPM (pat)
  Re: new kernel under RH6? (Ken Cormack)
  Re: Word Perfect ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: problems with glibc2 (brian moore)
  Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC (Ken Cormack)
  RH 6 and LILO problem ("Tim Underwood")
  Problem with Wu-Ftpd (Andrea Cerrito)
  Re: Where is CPP in RH5.2 ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Graham Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!
Date: 22 May 1999 09:03:04 +0000

In uk.comp.os.linux, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> "Nothing depends on them any more" isn't good enough; the sysadmin or
> users might have installed their own programs which depend on them,
> e.g. in /usr/local or their home directories, and this won't be
> recorded in package dependencies anywhere, so dselect (or whatever
> other package manager) couldn't know about it.

For libraries, could this not be done by running ldd on all of the
binaries and grepping the output for the library concerned? Then if
the library is found, then it is still (potentially[1]) being used
otherwise it could be a candidate for removal.

[1] It could be referenced only another library which is also a
removal candidate.

--
ICQ 10305586

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: H E L P  PLS.
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:12:26 GMT

Hello ALL !
Does anybody knew how to lock the keybord in LINUX ...
Is there a hot-key to lock / unlock keybord ?
Thank you ....
Eugene...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: a quick newbie question...
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 04:33:00 GMT

In article <7i4ihf$eab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm getting ready to take the plunge into the fellowship of Linux users
....<snip>...
>I have distributions of Debian GNU/Linux 2.1, Mandrake Linux 5.3 and
>Linux Pro 5.4 all on CD-Rom. I'll be installing Linux on my 2nd physical
>drive and Win95 will reside on my 1st physical (boot) drive. I'll be
....<snip>...
        A good idea to use a second hard drive instead of a 2nd partition
on the same hard drive, simpler and safer.
>My question is this: Of the three distributions I have on hand, which
>would be the least stressful to install and get up and running? Or
>should I use a different distribution than what I have?
        ...<snip>...
        This is a trollish kind of question but I assume you don't mean it
to be.  Opinions will vary.  With that caveat, I'll say that the Mandrake
should be less stressful than the Debian.  I don't have any experience
with the Linux Pro.  I worked with Unix before Linux came along, and I
started out with a Slackware distribution, and I still find myself coming
back to Slackware after trying others, but that's me.  Maybe once you've
gotten Mandrake up and running and gotten a little comfortable with it,
you'll want to take a crack at the others.  Debian has this dselect thing
that takes a little getting used to.  Mandrake is a lot like redhat.  The
CD that I have boots up into a desktop that I think is KDE.  I find that I
have more trouble with these 'easy to use' distributions when I try to do
anything remotely hard.  I was never able to figure out how to get a printer
going or good ppp access with the redhats I tried for instance. (I take that
back, I did get redhat to connect to an IP once by accident, but could never
figure out later what incantation actually worked.)  I remember one time
when I was using Debian (which has some nice things about it, I still take
a crack at Debian now and then), I wanted to upgrade ghostscript with a
version that I downloaded that had support for my printer, and Mother Hen
Debian wouldn't let me install all these things that depended on ghostscript
because I wasn't selecting their ghostscript and their database didn't show
me as having a ghostscript.
        There were supposed to be ways to override that but I couldn't get
it to work.  Some Debian advocate will no doubt say I should have just read
the documentation more carefully or something, so maybe I'm adding some flame
bait to this post myself.

--
Praeterea censeo Micromolle non esse utendum.
("Moreover, I maintain that Microsoft should not be used."  A toned down

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Linux
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 04:44:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chaz7perx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Right now my 486 boots to DOS, but things are screwed up. I understand Linux is
>a free download.
>
>1. Where do I download it, and How do I get my machine to recognize Linux
>instead of DOS/Windows?
>
>Thanks
>
>Chaz
        I think you can find a basic download at www.debian.org.  I remember
a few years ago downloading a few floppy images and going through a sequence
of steps to set up a basic system.  But then you need utilities, games,
tools.  Better to order a complete distribution, Slackware, Debian, Redhat,
etc, for a few bucks.
        If you're new to the world of Unix in general, there will be a
big paradigm shift, get some books like "Running Linux" (I don't know if
that's the best book, but it's A book that some people claim to have found
useful, general books on Unix and Unix System Administration would be helpful
to, if you find them used and cheap in a bookstore for instance.)
        But the specific answer to your question how do I get my machine to
recognize Linux, well, you can download a Unix kernel, it will be a file,
you can put it on a dos file system and use a program called loadlin to
load it, but it won't do anything if it doesn't have a filesystem of it's
own with things it recognizes, like /etc/fstab, /etc/inittab, and a binary
executable computer program called init which should be in /sbin.  If this
paragraph is mostly incomprehensible to you, then you know why you might
want to do a little reading up.
        But if you get a CD distribution, a lot of the
stuff is automated and they have READMEs that walk you through the steps
you need to get a system up and running, then you just have to figure out
what to do with it.
        Good Luck, I hope you take the plunge but I don't want to give you
any false expectations that it'll be a simple thing to do.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Loooking for bzip2-aware tar
Date: 17 May 1999 07:31:41 GMT

Michal Szymanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm looking for a 'tar' version which would support 'bzip2'-compession in
>similar way as it currently supports 'gzip' and 'compress' through "z/Z"
>options.

The Debian tar package has been patched to use "i/I" for it;
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/{stable,unstable}/main/source/*/tar*

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zeleng)
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 05:05:46 GMT

On (21 May 1999 16:34:09 GMT), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chaz7perx) creamed
his pants while writing:

>Right now my 486 boots to DOS, but things are screwed up. I understand Linux is
>a free download.
>
>1. Where do I download it, and How do I get my machine to recognize Linux
>instead of DOS/Windows?

Go there for all the possible answers on Linux:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

--
theZman ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
Vous avez des problèmes dans votre vie?

comp.databases.oracle.misc,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle8i for Linux / MySQL 3.22.22 RPMs specifically for Redhat 6.0
(Glibc-2.1 / kernel 2.2)
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 04:08:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Yesterday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Does anyone have their Oracle8i for Linux cd-rom yet?

According to my Oracle rep, this is going to be another few
weeks.

> 2) Where can I get MySQL 3.22.22 RPMs specifically for Redhat 6.0 Linux?

contrib.redhat.com?

Christopher Mauritz

From: "Marc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xf86 servers for linux
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:50:15 +0200

Does anyone know where I can get an X server for a Mach64?

From: "Marc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: REAL newbie question
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:02:05 +0200

How do I install packages that I download off the internet?

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Seyster)
Subject: Re: Mindcraft may be partly right about Apache
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 12:15:38 GMT

On 22 May 1999 01:14:34 GMT, Cameron Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It reflects well on the Apache team that they have not gone
>benchmark-happy and put in an rDNS cache to look better in a
>configuration that will only ever be used by people who care nothing
>about server performance, people who want to make Apache look bad in a
>benchmark, and idiots.  It is to Mindcraft's shame that they cooked the
>benchmark with this old trick.  I'm surprised that for all the gnashing
>of teeth about it in this newsgroup that nobody has pointed this out.

If you were to do a Deja News lookup on this subject, you would find
that this particular misconfiguration was pointed out almost from day
one of this "Mind(less)craft" benchmark report. This is not news.

Dave Seyster

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 06:21:48 GMT

On Fri, 21 May 1999 00:46:25 GMT, Miguel Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So IIS on NT is faster because it was implemented better?
>
>No, it was faster because the people who performed the tests chose to use
>IIS's fastest scripting option and Apache's slowest.

That's fair comment.

>Likewise they went way back in time to find a version of Linux that is not
>compatible with the server hardware, but used the latest version of NT,
>which is.

That's not *quite* so fair comment.  They didn't go back into the
"distant mists" of time; they only went back a couple of months.

In a sense, they let the two OSes labour under similar constraints:
neither were likely the *ABSOLUTE NEWEST* versions.

Of course, the Linux version was pretty cannily selected to be the one
in the 2.2 series that would perform pessimally; they could have done
that by accident, but it is as likely that they did so deliberately.
--
"World domination.  Fast."  -- Linus Torvalds
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/msprobs.html>

------------------------------

From: pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting rid of a RPM
Date: 22 May 1999 06:31:06 GMT

Mike Rego wrote:
> I am using RedHat 5.2 and I have downloaded a RPM from the Internet and
> installed it. I worked fine but I deleted everything in the directory
> that the program was in. When I go to re-install it (through the control
>
> panel RPM in X) it is still listed in the RPMs that are installed and
> when I try to uninstall it I receive an error message  that reads
> "Errors occurred during the uninstall" "package ICQnix-Beta-1-0 is not
> installed".
> When I go to look for available packages and set my path to where all my
>
> downloaded RPM's are it doesn't show up as a package to install just the
>
> ones that are not install are available because that package is listed
> as installed.
> My question is how can I get rid of that package in the "Installed
> Packages" so I can reinstall it again?

My advice is first stop using glint (the control panel RPM or any other X
based RPM frontend. The RPM man page is decent even for beginners. Try
installing the package with the --replacepkgs (or something similar, I
can't remember exactly) tag.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: new kernel under RH6?
From: Ken Cormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:45:39 -0400

I suspect you are running a mis-match between kernel version and module
versions.  Start by doing an lsmod to see which (if any) modules got
loaded.  Check your /etc/lilo.conf, your /etc/conf.modules, your /lib/mod=
ules
directory, and any startup scripts for references to your prior-kernel's
modules.

If modules for SCSI, ethernet, sound, etc fail to load due to versioning =
issues,
then any startup scripts (like starting up ethernet/TCPIP services, etc.)=
 will
fail since your network card driver would not be loaded.

It's all just 0's and 1's.  :)

Ken

"Piers B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is with the scripting on the start up of RH6?
>I go to update my kernel to the latest of 2.2.x and when I reboot I get =
this
>failed crap being sprouted cause some script in RH6 which earlier versio=
ns
>didn't have, doesn't update with the kernel.
>
>RH what are you doing?
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Thanks
>
>Piers B.

--=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Ken Cormack
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.neo.rr.com/kcormack/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Word Perfect
Date: 22 May 1999 10:57:02 GMT

In his obvious haste, Jeff Busch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: I am running RH5.2.  I have learned that while I am downloading the file
: (guilg00.gz), or other such files, that "Netscape" sometimes gunzips the
: file.  OK so now all I have to do is "untar" the file.  I have tried
: "tar -x guilg00.gz" and a few other combinations of switches and all
: that happens is that the tar program hangs.

You need tar -xf
(Otherwise, it attempts to untar a tape device archive rather than a file)

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: problems with glibc2
Date: 22 May 1999 07:07:17 GMT

On 21 May 1999 16:29:23 GMT,
 jota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A week ago I started upgrading my linux, which is slakware with kernel
> 2.0.33. After downloading 2.2.9 and reading the Documentation/Changes file
> I noticed that most of my software was out of date and begun to
> download/install libc 5.4.46, glibc 2.0.7pre6, binutils 2.9.1, modutils
> 2.1.12 and so,  but the problems started when compiling the infamous glibc2
> (with the crypt and linuxthreads addons). When it got to "make crypt
> others" it aborted saying that the included file "<bits/libc-lock.h>" (the
> include is in the crypt directory in /sysdeps/unix/crypt_util.c) didn't
> exist which sounded logical since I never saw a diectory "bits" in the
> kernel include tree. I then tried running configure with
> "--enable--add-ons=linuxthreads --disable-sanity-checks" and everything was
> ok until make reached "make resolv others". This time it died with "gcc
> internal compiler error: program cc got fatal signal 6", this happened
> while compiling resolv/base64.c. Feeling a little like DeNiro in Taxi
> Driver, I proceded to swallow the libc2 howto which refers to another
> version, 2.0.6, and says nothing about the trbls i've been having. It says
> something about binaries available for glibc2.0.4, but (according to
> Documentation/Changes) I can't use that version whith the new kernel. What
> I'm doing wrong?

Take that handy list from "CHANGES' and walk over to
ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-current and fetch the needed files
as handy .tgz's.

Then use 'installpkg' to install them, and you're done.  You will
probably want to use 'removepkg' on prior versions of things, but you
should do that after you install the news ones.  (Some things are sorta
needed and toasting even an old libc is a bad thing when you don't have
a new one.)

Despite what many believe, there is package management in Slack, and it
even works.  (I've used it to maintain my Slack system from the days
when the 1.2.13 kernel was stable and 1.3.40 or so was the -dev
release.  Now I run 2.2.6 [sorry, that was current when I last rebooted]
and life is peachy.)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
From: Ken Cormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:01:01 -0400

"Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>#cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>---------------------------------------
>DEVICE=3D"eth1"         =20
>IPADDR=3D"24.4.162.173" =20
>NETMASK=3D"255.255.255.0"
>ONBOOT=3D"yes"          =20
>BOOTPROTO=3D"none"      =20

First, does your cable provider normally use DHCP to set up your IP addre=
ss?  If
yes, then what you have here is incorrect - Use DHCP rather than hard-cod=
ing an
IP address.

Second, does your cable provider normally require some sort of login
authentication?  (I would be truely STUNNED if they didn't!)

In Akron, OH, we have the Roadrunner cablemodem service.  Here, they use =
DHCP
to provide your IP configuration settings, AND, you must authenticate aga=
inst a
server that controls whether or not you get past their firewall and onto =
the 'net.

If you are a Roadrunner customer, I can point you to a page you might fin=
d very
helpful...

http://www.famed.ohio-state.edu/shane/rr/RoadRunner/Linux/

Ken

From: "Tim Underwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: RH 6 and LILO problem
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 07:34:30 -0500

I have just installed RH 6.0 on a Compaq 1675, and lilo has a problem.  Lilo
version is 0.21-6

If I hit enter to run the default boot OS when the lilo prompt appears,
linux loads just fine, and has no problem.

If, however, I leave it alone, and let it boot to the default OS, I get the
following message:

Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
.. autorun DONE.
VFS: Cannot open root device 00:30

I can then reboot, and hit ENTER at the lilo prompt, and all is well.  The
drive is a 6.4 GB drive, and linux is loaded on the last 3 partitions (hda5,
hda6, hda7), and all 3 are about 1.5GB total.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrea Cerrito)
Subject: Problem with Wu-Ftpd
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:21:17 GMT

Hi.
I'va got a problem with WU-FTPd.
I use it for managing a Webserver for many clients.
So, I've done users, I've used the /dev/null shell (correctly added in
/etc/shells), I've made them "guest" so they cannot go everywhere in
the filesystem and they can delete, upload, download and so on... oh,
just in their space...
but only if they remember all with their memory!!!
Infact, all Windows Client (Es. CuteFTP) after command ls none is on
the screen.
But if I open a DOS box and I use the old ftp command, I can see
everything with no problems. DIR command works too.
I haven't copied in each directory the structure of /bin, /etc, /lib
and so on, cause their space is used as a web directory!
But if it worked in dos or a unix shell, can it be that problem?
I don't think so...
Someone can help me?
Please, it's very important!
Thanks
Andrea Cerrito

=========== ==== === == =
Hanno detto:
"I PC hanno il tasto 'reset' perché sono progettati per i sistemi operativi Microsoft."
"Le uniche cose che girano sotto Windows 95 sono le palle."
"Windows ha un'utility per correggere automaticamente i problemi. Si chiama FDISK."
"We don't view this as a bug, but as a feature that could potentially be used in a way
that's not intended." M$ product manager Rob Bennett
E' successo:
"WinErr 815: Insufficient Memory - Only 50,312,583 Bytes available."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where is CPP in RH5.2 ?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:03:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl) wrote:
> In article <7i4cer$9m0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> >Which rpm contains the cpp ?
> >
> >I get complaints that is is not installed, when upgrading to
windowmaker
> >0.52, but I cant figure out where it is .
>
> You ought to have a symbolic link ...
> /lib/cpp -> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/.../cpp
> ... and the "..." is your compiler specific directory. Just use tab
> in the bash (typing is too tedious).
>
> Cheers,
> Juergen

Yes, but which RedHat RPM installs cpp ?

/