  Re: Modem hangs up by it's self ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: users can't mount cdrom
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:50:41 -0500

Jeff Greer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why can I only mount the cdrom drive as root?
>
> here is /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/scd0               /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
> noauto,ro,user  0 0
>
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     users       37672 Oct  6  1998 /bin/mount
> brwxrwxrwx   1 root     users     11,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 guest    users           4 Mar 26 04:23 /dev/cdrom
> -> scd0
>
> Shouldn't this be automatically setup by mainstream linux
> distros?  Linux will be useless as an OS for the desktop as long
> as braindead problems like this exist.  Linux sure needs a set of
> desktop standards.
>
> I like Linux, but setting up some things is a complete waste of
> time.  I am not interested in knowing how to make my cdrom
> mountable by guests.  There should be a standard script to handle
> this.
> --
> Jeff Greer
> B.S. computer science, University of MO - Rolla
> Windows NT has crashed,
> I am the Blue Screen of Death,
> No one hears your screams...

You seemed to have got involved in a flame war which as far as
I can see is entirely beside the point.   I don't know exactly
why you are having a problem, but it is fairly simple to
arrange for arbitrary users to mount CDs, and large numbers
of people do exactly that.   I have been doing it with releases
of RH going back to 4.2.  Under RH6.0, each time I create a new
user, that user automatically has icons for the floppy and the
CD on his/her gnome desktop, and one can mount it by right
clicking on the mount option or just left double clicking on
the icon, which also brings up a file manager for the directory.

Anyway, here is my /etc/fstab (on one of three machines I've
set up with this capability).
/dev/cdrom        /mnt/cdrom      auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide,exec  0
0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto     user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0

I didn't do these manually but used linuxconf.  I don't see why
your entry won't work.

Have you rebooted---although that shouldn't make any difference?

It is not unusual with any OS to find that something which by all
rights should work doesn't.  I find this happens much more often
with Windows, and there it is usually impossible to find out why.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and NT on one system....help!!!
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:33:53 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had Windows NT installed on my system.  I installed Redhat linux 6.0
> on the same system.  But lilo gave me an error message during the
> installation process when I tried to include the NT partition in the
> boot sequence.  So I omitted it for now.  How can I setup the computer
> now so I can boot both systems.  I have linux running now and it's
> working great of course.  But I need to run NT sometimes.  What should I
> do?

You got several replies but in total they were a bit incoherent,
so let me try to go over some relevant points.  I hope I
don't confuse you more.

1.  Lilo can boot NT, but it has to be done in exactly the right
way or you have to be lucky.  I don't know why you got an error
message during installation.   See below for details.

2.  If you put lilo in the master boot record, which is the default
choice, there is a good chance you made it impossible to boot
NT.  I've seen machines with NT/Linux with lilo in the MBR which
worked fine---and one of the responses to your question had a
lilo.conf file doing exactly that---but every time I've tried
it, NT had indigestion.   I would not put lilo in the MBR if
I were running NT.   If you in fact did that, however, all is
not lost.  Somewhere on the NT boot floppy or NT CD you should
find the NT fdisk.  If you can put it on a bootable floppy,
even a DOS floppy, then executing the command
fdisk/mbr
from the floppy should restore the master boot record.  After
this NT should boot by default, but you won't be able to boot
Linux from the disk.  If you made a boot floppy for Linux,
you can boot Linux using that and proceed.

3.  Once you have restored the MBR and can boot NT, you can
arrange to have the NT boot loader boot both NT and Linux.
This is described in the Linux+NT mini HOWTO.

4.  If this is all on one disk, the following is simpler I
believe.  First, boot using your boot floppy, and configure
lilo.conf so that the first line
boot=...
puts lilo in the first sector of the root partition or
if separate the boot partition.  Here's an example of what
lilo.conf might look like

boot=/dev/hda2
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/sda1
        label=nt
        table=/dev/sda

Run lilo.
But lilo still won't be able to boot
because the first partition is the active partition.  (When the BIOS
starts booting it looks in the MBR to see which partition
is active and goes there.  So it will never get where lilo
is.)   You can change this by running fdisk and toggling the
statuses of the partitions so the first partition
is no longer active and
the partition where you put lilo is active.  I
don't remember if you can do this while Linux
is running from one of those partitions.   If not proceed
as below.
Use your Linux boot floppy and rescue mode floppy
(if you've created them).  Note it could take a very long
time to boot from the boot floppy.  Alternately just boot
the Linux installation floppy, do a custom install and get to the
part where you can partition by running fdisk.  Either
way run fdisk and just toggle the active partition as
described above.  Now you should be able to boot both
Linux and NT.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please look at these kernel error messages..!
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:59:12 -0500

Marcelo Glusman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After my 3.2GB disk crashed, I had it replaced with a 6.4GB new one.
> I reinstalled RH5.1, and the kernel started giving error messages (in
> /var/adm/messages..)
> I installed RH6 (on different partitions) and got the same errors.
>
> (1) - I would like to get pointers to UPDATED literature on the limitations
> about
>       boot partitions, lilo, etc. Many people are posting related questions...
> (2) - How do I check if my boot partition is below cylinder 1024? Should I do
> it?
>
> (3) - Now to the messages: (I copied them by hand via piece of paper, so they
> are not
>       precise...)
>
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: status error: status=0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset: success
> ----
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: read_intr: status=0x50 {DriveReady SeekComplete}
> ----
> hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { blah blah }
> ide0: reset: success
> ----
> hda: status error: status=0xff {Busy}
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset: success
>
> The messages appear randomly but quite often (every now and then, not
> constantly)
> They seem to cause damage to the computation, since some software (a theorem
> prover)
>   reinstalled after the crash is not working properly.
> Also, after properly shutting down, there are "slow" (fsck-needing) boots,
> which shouldn't be.
>
> I will greatly appreciate any of the following info:
> - directions to another relevant info source
> - any diagnostic, like "Your new disk is broken!" or "check this and that
> jumper/connection"
> -  etc etc
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Marcelo Glusman
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] )
>
> PS: Please send a copy of your answer (or any complains) to my private address
> too.

I've only glanced at your posting, but I think there is a good
chance you have some loose cables somewhere.  One sometimes
dislodges things when fiddling inside a computer.  Try reseating
everything in site, particularly cables going to your hard drive
and the corresponding controllers.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: fips or Partition Magic?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 17:09:06 -0500

eze wrote:

> i m a newbie!
>
> fips or Partition Magic to install Linux?

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

The default choice should be fips (or actually fips2 for
a FAT32 file system).   But one may encounter problems with
fips if the Windows partition cannot be defragged because
it has sectors in use at the end of the partition which cannot
be moved.  I am told that one can use the Windows Attrib
command to mark these as unhidden and then defrag them.
But they are presumably put there by the vendor for some
reason, so it is possible you could have trouble with Windows.
I believe fips is supposed to be smart enough to give up
if it finds it can't resize the partition.  Fips does not
claim to move data, only to resize the partition.  Study the
documentation carefully.  Note that you should be able to
tell if there are unmoved sectors if you show details while
defragging.

Partition Magic is supposedly capable of moving data when
it resizes.  I've used Partition Magic successfully, most
recently on a Dell Inspiron which did have sectors
at the end of the Windows partition which could not be moved
by defrag.   But it can be a bit tricky to use because you
have to resize the partition in which Partition Magic is
installed.  It does this by setting things up and then going
to DOS.   So make sure you study the documentation and
know exactly what to expect.
On another machine, I had an awful time getting it
to work---possibly because a BIOS setting was wrong---and I
finally gave up and used fips which worked perfectly.

If you buy Parition Magic, you also get Boot Magic which
give you an alternate boot loader.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem hangs up by it's self
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 17:15:19 -0500

Michael Reuvers wrote:

> [...]
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: local  IP address 207.148.140.93
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: remote IP address 207.148.128.68
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Modem hangup
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Connection terminated.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Connect time 2.4 minutes.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Sent 3570 bytes, received 13594bytes.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Exit.
>
> /var/log/ppp
>
> Aug  5 10:20:49 localhost pppd[660]: Serial connection established.
> Aug  5 10:20:49 localhost pppd[660]: Using interface ppp0
> Aug  5 10:20:49 localhost pppd[660]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
> Aug  5 10:20:50 localhost pppd[660]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap0x0>
> Aug  5 10:20:50 localhost pppd[660]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap0x0>
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost pppd[660]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap0x0>
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost pppd[660]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <asyncmap0x0>
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost pppd[660]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr0.0.0.0>
> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> Aug  5 10:20:52 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <compressVJ
> 0f 00> <addr 207.148.128.68>]
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 <compressVJ
> 0f 00> <addr 207.148.128.68>]
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
> <addr207.148.140.93>]
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2
> <addr207.148.140.93> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2
> <addr207.148.140.93> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: local  IP address 207.148.140.93
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: remote IP address 207.148.128.68
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started; pid= 674
> Aug  5 10:20:53 localhost pppd[660]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished
> (pid674), status = 0x0
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Modem hangup
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started;pid =
> 719
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Connection terminated.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Connect time 2.4 minutes.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Sent 3570 bytes, received 13594bytes.
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished(pid
> 719), status = 0x0
> Aug  5 10:23:12 localhost pppd[660]: Exit.

First the stuff about the compress modules is almost certainly
irrelevant.  I started getting that under RH6.0, but it
doesn't seem to affect my connection.

The remaining messages suggest some problem with the conversation
between your chat script and the ISP.   It looks as if the ISP
is not getting what it expects and is cutting you off.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: why do I lose my entire system at restart, how to minimize loss?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 21:50:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> what do you mean by 'Linux recovers from a dirty shutdown 5% of
> the time'?  Are you pushing the reset button and then freaking when
fsck
> runs?  fsck is normal -- let it run, *I* have *never* seen a Linux box
> that have been power-cycled or reset that *failed* to recover, unless
> the disk itself had crashed hard or had some other hardware fault
(i.e.
> bad memory, sick motherboard, missing or improper SCSI terminator,
etc.).

I hadn't either prior to "upgrading" from RedHat 5.2 to Mandrake 6.0.
Since then my system has had the power cut out from under it on four
separate occasions by the local utility putzing around.  On rebooting,
in every case, the init scripts forced me to give the root password in
order to run fsck manually because the fsck run by the init scripts
found errors it didn't seem to know what to do with.  The other option
it gives you is to hit CTRL-D to continue booting normally but if you
do that it shuts down and reboots; which eventually brings you back to
the same situation.  I don't recall this ever happening on this machine
under RedHat 5.2 (or 5.0, for that matter), although I did experience
occasional power interruptions during that period also.

I would greatly appreciate any help (even RTFM help) anybody could give
me on this.  I'm not sure where in the init process fsck gets run or if
there are options I could feed it to make it act more like it did in
previous versions of RedHat.

Thanks in advance,
Carl

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Greer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 22:43:51 GMT

Thanks for the help, but it still won't work.  I need to join a
LUG or have someone telnet into my machine.
Heres some command line info:

doug > mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: must be superuser to use mount
doug > ls /X
doug > ls -l /bin/mount
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        37672 Oct  6  1998 /bin/mount
doug > ls -ld /dev/sda1
brwxr-xr-x   1 root     disk       8,   1 May  5  1998 /dev/sda1

doug > umount /dev/cdrom
bash: /jeff/.bashrc: Permission denied
[mntent]: line 0 in /etc/fstab is bad
umount: /dev/scd0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

my fstab file:

/dev/hda1               /                       ext2
exec,dev,suid,rw,usrquota       1 1
/dev/sda1               /mnt/E                  ext2
defaults                        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2
noauto,rw,suid,user,exec        0 0
/dev/scd0               /mnt/cdrom              auto
noauto,ro,user,exec, suid,unhide        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc
defaults                        0 0

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Jeff Greer wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> You seemed to have got involved in a flame war which as far as
> I can see is entirely beside the point.   I don't know exactly

I thought a flame war involved a lot of insults and pointless
argument.  I'm trying to start a productive argument.

> Have you rebooted---although that shouldn't make any difference?

I'm not going to reboot.  My linux box is an important server for
my
lan.

> It is not unusual with any OS to find that something which by all
> rights should work doesn't.  I find this happens much more often
> with Windows, and there it is usually impossible to find out why.

This is a problem in linux because there is not a good set of
standards in the desktop arena.
--

------------------------------

From: Geoff McCaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape help applications
Date: 5 Aug 1999 21:20:27 GMT

I used to be able to click on PDF files in netscape and launch the acrobat
reader, but somewhere along the way I changed something and can't get it
working again.

I have the Portable Document Format form filled out in Netscape
Applications, but when I click on a PDF file, I get a bit of disk activity,
then nothing.

I can run acroread from the command line OK, and if I put some other random
application in place of acroread in the netscape setup I can start that -
but for some reason acroread refuses to start this way.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Is there some way to see an error message when netscape is trying to start
an application?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Unresolved symbols in module...
Date: 5 Aug 1999 22:36:53 GMT

In article <7oca23$59t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Butler wrote:
>[comp.os.linux.development.system - 29 Jul 1999 08:01:58 GMT] * Cameron L. wrote *
>>>DO I have to move the new System.map to /boot ?
>> No!  It's a historical relic of the days before the ps(1) command used
>> the /proc "filesystem."  The old ps(1) needed a symbol table to
>> rummage around in /dev/kmem.  It was slow.
>
>No, ps(1) still uses System.map to lookup symbols for the ps l output
>(the WCHAN field to be exact) [0]. System.map is used by many other programs
>such as klogd(8) and ksymoops(8), basically to do address->name resolution
>for kernel symbols.

Must be broken in Debian-2.1  There's no manpage for ksymoops,
nor was it installed with the development station profile.
Moving System.map into the places mentioned in ps(1) has no effect on
ps(1) output, WCHAN is always in hex.
I guess this stuff will get cleaned up eventually.
It's not mentioned in top(1), which used to talk about it pre-1993
when it had to rummage in /dev/kmem.
I've never had a kernel oops, so never needed this stuff.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Text reader?
Date: 5 Aug 1999 23:23:29 GMT

Hi,

What text reader can I use to read files containing lines like:

1H1.H.2H2.H.  MHMaHaiHilHliHinHngHg LHLiHisHstHtsHs

In most, the H is either highlighted or ^H.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 5 Aug 1999 22:40:44 GMT

eze wrote:

> i m a newbie!
>
> fips or Partition Magic to install Linux?

I have used fips twice without problems.
Fast and free, that's hard to beat...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: terminal strangenes under RHL 6.0
Date: 5 Aug 1999 21:30:37 GMT

remote logins to a new RHL 6.0 host connecting as term type xterm have
trouble with curses applications ( man, lynx, etc.,) inverting screen,
turning on underline, etc. If you set term type to something else ( e.g.,
vt100), you get a different set of screen oddities.
reset will usually fix things until the next curses application is run.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Michael Uemminghaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!!! Sound Card OPTi 82C924
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 01:33:47 +0200

Pedro Kiefer wrote:

> I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to setup my sound card.
> Can anyone help me? My sound card has an OPTi 82C924 chipset.
> Which is the ez way to i configure it?
>
> thanx
>
> Pedro Kiefer

I have a card with OPTi 924 myself. The part was called
Typhoon or similar. I was told that the chip not really
produces sound. This is done by a CODEC chip, in my case
a cs4341a chip. If your CODEC is not this CODEC, the
following might be not the solution for your problem.
I had the same problems some time ago
but i got help in a linux newsgroup. The trouble is that
the PnP part of the soundcard is buggy. You will not get
it to work with PnP, it crashes ICU under DOS and other
nice things.
The solution for myself was (for some time) to load the non-PnP driver
under DOS and to boot into linux using
loadlin. Then the sb driver works with the dos settings.

The solution found over this newsgroup is more
satisfying:
1. Disable the PnP part of the soundcard

Put the following into isapnp.conf in your /etc directory

# Put OPTI 924 + CS4341a card into non-PNP mode
(VERIFYLD N)
(CSN 1 (LD 0 (REG 2 (POKE 4))))

The CSN probably depends on the slot, so do a pnpdump
first to determine the CSN. If isapnp is not used during
startup, execute isapnp isapnp.conf manually.

2 use mad16 sound module.

example modules conf:

alias char-major-14 mad16
options sb mad16=1
options mad16 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=0 dma16=1 mpu_io=0x330 debug=1
mpu_irq=9

 Michael

------------------------------

From: Joseph Mendoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: nfs problems under RH6
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 22:57:36 -0600

NFS worked in RH6.0 out of the box just fine.  However, when I compiled
2.2.10 (and 2.2.9, 2.2.8, and 2.2.5) when it tried to run rpc.nfsd i
would get a "nfssvc: Function not implemented" error, which prevented
anybody from mounting my nfs'd dirs.. what am I NOt doing?  Is there
something in RH (it works fine in Debian at home) that I need to pay
attention to?

Thanks,

--JM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 5 Aug 1999 22:34:05 GMT

Looks like you may be timing out?  What program are you using to make
the connection.  I use diald without problems.  I have configured it to
shutdown after 1 hour of idle time.

I can help you with the "can't locate module xxxxxx" complaints.

Add these lines to /etc/conf.modules
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp