  Re: Novell-Linux file transfer help (Valentin Abramov)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EXCEED 5.0 on RH 6.2
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:56:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  default <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had this configured on a diferent version a couple of years back I
> think it was 5.2. But I forgot how to configure it. I got an xterm
> window to come up but I want xwindows like gnomb or  KDE to also come
> up. Could someone please send me the exact procedures on how to do
this
> so I can print them out and save them?
>
> Mike

while i still do not understand why someone would want that -
i think one or more xterm can do all the work -
if you want it, your choice.

what you want to do is start xdm, you can do that from xterm with
xdm -nodaemon &

after that, your chooser should list the linux machine as xdm-client.

theres still some configuration to be done ,
 or you might end up with a
very basic windowmanager like twm.
go through all the xdm-configuration files,
hope this helps you
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps.html

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

From: Marco Cavadini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Netscape and Windows Manager Problem
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:13:29 +0200

I'm using netscape 4.72 on my RH6.1 installation.

When I use netscape under the GNOME windonw manager I can't use
the nick names of my address book when I whant to send an e-mail.
They are simply not recognized !

In the KDE I type the nickname and with TAB, netscape translates it into
the real e-mail address.

Moreover in both GNOME and KDE, netscape very often crashes when
I make drag-and-drop muose operations.

Any help ??

Thank you Marco

Dr. Marco Cavadini                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TChip Semiconductor SA               Phone:   +41 91 605 11 49
Via Cantonale 35a
CH-6928 Manno

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: Linux and SCO
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:49:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Warren Young  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Brian E. Seppanen" wrote:

>> What I notice when I attach to the SCO machines is that hitting
>> backspace does not backspace at all, in fact it puts me on a
>> brand new command line.

>This is because most Linuxes to date have reversed the traditional
>mapping of Delete and Backspace: instead of Ctrl-H, Backspace is usually
>configured to send ASCII 127, which SCO systems interpret the same way
>as Linux interprets Ctrl-C.

I guess it really depends on just exactly what you define as
traditional, does it not?

I can't seem to find my original DEC VT100 manual [too many books
here] - about 20 years old that I picked up along the way - but the
Delete/Backspace key, with shift for backspace as I recall is the
original mapping. So those Linux distributions have not reversed the
traditional method but have reverted to the traditional method.

--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com

------------------------------

From: Mei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:56:43 +0200

Neil ha scritto:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:30:10 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >How is Linux different from Windows?
>
> less reboots

This isn't the only difference. Less resources, 0 reinstallations, fs well
structured, multiuser, free, absence of the registry :)....

Ciao Mei

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Netscape and Windows Manager Problem
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:26:52 +0200

Marco Cavadini wrote:

> I'm using netscape 4.72 on my RH6.1 installation.
>
> When I use netscape under the GNOME windonw manager I can't use
> the nick names of my address book when I whant to send an e-mail.
> They are simply not recognized !

Can you open your address book and edit the proporties of the
entries?

If you can't, exit netscape and edit:

vi ~/.netscape/preferences.js

and see if there's a line containing

user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.locale", "en_US");

Remove this line and see if this also cures your problem.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:44:05 GMT

"default" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I had this configured on a diferent version a couple of years back I
> think it was 5.2. But I forgot how to configure it. I got an xterm
> window to come up but I want xwindows like gnomb or  KDE to also come
> up. Could someone please send me the exact procedures on how to do this
> so I can print them out and save them?
>
> Mike

1) Make sure your Rh6.2 system is set to "runlevel 5" by editing
/etc/inittab to the following:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

2) Edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and change the following line

[xdmcp]
Enable=0

[xdmcp]
Enable=1

Now your linux box will answer XDMCP queries/broadcasts from a properly
configured EXCEED system.

Steve Cowles

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:46:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Warren Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is because most Linuxes to date have reversed the traditional
> mapping of Delete and Backspace: instead of Ctrl-H, Backspace is usually
> configured to send ASCII 127, which SCO systems interpret the same way
> as Linux interprets Ctrl-C.

ASCII backspace is control/H, aka BS (127 is DEL).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Chris Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Networking To Windows Problems
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:48:50 -0700

I am very new to linux , but understand the basic concept`s of it. But i
neet to network to a win98 se2 machine to get it on the net. On the win98
machine i am running wingate as the proxy program. And any try of pinging
the networked machine (198.162.0.1) has no response. Any help will be
gratefully recived.

Thank You.
Future Winblows Major Style User.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: What is it BUFFER OVERFLOW in linux
Date: 28 Apr 2000 13:47:16 GMT

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:51:29 +0200, Rajchert Sebastian wrote:

 >Where I can find a information about this problems.

It's a C problem primarily, so Microsoft products are just as likely
(if not more so) to be affected as Linux.  Here's a good reference:

http://www.bell-labs.com/org/11356/libsafe.html

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to change system time??
Date: 28 Apr 2000 13:58:40 GMT

when I use date, time, xclock, it always show the wrong time.
I wonder how I can correct it.

I had used "date" command to change it, it works well. But
after you restart the system, everything go wrong again.

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to change system time??
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:03:20 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> when I use date, time, xclock, it always show the wrong time.
> I wonder how I can correct it.
>
> I had used "date" command to change it, it works well. But
> after you restart the system, everything go wrong again.

date just sets the time in Linux.

Use hwclock to transfer the time to the BIOS clock:

hwclock --systohc

Mogens

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Floppy format problem.
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:08:54 GMT

Harold Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
> > DOS are probably attributable to it verifying each track immediately
after
> > writing, whereas Linux makes a separate verification pass.)
>
> There are two ways of having 1.2M drives work at the 360K density, but
> most newer drives do not include the options for one.  The original way
> was to actually change the spindle speed; 360 rpm for 1.2MB HD, 300 rpm
> for 360/720K densities.  That way, the data rates could be held at the
> 500 kbps for 'HD' and 250 kbps for 'MFM' (or Double-Density).  This
> complicated bios routines because switching speeds required insertion of
> considerable delays normally associated with spinup times.  Another
> complication introduced with the 3.5" HD format was that the polarity of
> the "HD" lead was the opposite between the two.  This is well documented
> in older National Semiconductor (among other) data sheets.  This is NOT
> how most clone PCs work.
>
> Most of them now keep the spindle speed at 360 rpm and change the data
> rate from 500 kbps for 1.2M HD to 300 kbps for 360/720K densities.  If
> you work out the math, 300 kbps at 360 rpm is the same bit density as
> 250 kbps at 300 rpm, so the disks were compatible in this regard.  Now a
> density change no longer need accomodate the physical delays in changing
> motor speed.
>
> > I also checked the jumper settings on my 10 year-old Teac FD55GFR-142-U
> > and they are the same factory settings, i.e., double-density speed is
> > 360 rpm.  This drive is installed on an old 33 MHz 486 system running
> > DOS 5.0 and the times for formatting 1.2M and 360K diskettes are
> > approximately the same as shown above.
> >
> > The test diskettes were not bulk erased and the 360K diskette had been
> > previously written on a double-density drive.
>
> I believe that you may be confused by thinking that the 360K diskettes
> are writted in a 1.2M drive by writing two adjacent tracks with the same
> data...they are NOT.  In a 1.2M drive, the drive steps twice for each
> track increment, writing every other track.  If it were not so, your
> times for Linux would be more than twice those for DOS.  If you sketch a
> couple of tracks on a piece of paper, label one on an end as track 0,
> and increment numbers for the adjacent 'tracks'.  Mark a large swath
> around track 0, 2, 4, etc.  That would correspond to tracks 0, 1 and 2
> on 360K.  The narrower tracks will be reliable, but writing narrow and
> reading wide (with a 'real' 360k drive) might not if the disk were
> previously written with a 'real' 360k.
>
> If you can find some old 720K drives by TEAC, you will find a jumper
> that actually forces a double-step the drive.  It appears that they used
> a common stepper and electronics between 40 and 80 track drives (at
> least the ones I had in the mid 80s), and the technology was carried
> forward.  You can find assembly code for Z80/8080 systems which do the
> double-stepping in CP/M archives as part of BIOS code for CP/M.

You're right, the discussion here did lead me to believe that two adjacent
tracks were written with the same data.  But with the measured format times
that seems not to be the case.  However my experience and that of David C.
was that 360K diskettes written on 1.2M drives on clone PCs available a few
years after the introduction of the IBM-AT _were_ readable on MFM drives.

I was told years ago that the later 1.2M drives had some sort of dual-head
arrangement for write-compatibility with MFM drives. And to the best of my
recollection I had no problem reading 360K diskettes on an older MFM-only
system which were written on my circa-1990 clone PC (which I still have)
and which was/is equipped with a Teac FD55GFR-142-U of the same vintage.

My confusion now is that the data sheet for that old Teac FD55GFR-142-U
says the same thing as the data sheet for a new Teac FD55GFR-7193-U,
i.e., that 360K diskettes are read-only.  So how did it write MFM
compatible diskettes?  The story about the dual heads certainly doesn't
seem to apply to either of these drives.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

------------------------------

Subject: Problem adding user using userconf in RH 6.1
From: Eric Goforth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Apr 2000 10:22:15 -0400

Hello all,

I'm having problems adding a user to my RH 6.1 system using userconf
and I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong.

On the Normal tab I pick User Accounts.  I then press on the Add button
and fill out the Login name and Full name fields.  Is there any upper
limit on the length of these?  The login name field that I enter has
fourteen characters, and the Full name field has nineteen characters.
I then click on the Accept button and get a Changing password dialog
box.  For the New UNIX password, I enter a ten digit password and press
Accept.  I then get a changing password dialog box, and I enter the same
ten digit password in the Retype new UNIX password field and press Accept
again.  I then get a message that "Password was not changed."  I've also
tried adding this user to the users group, when I attempt to create his
account, but get the same message.  This user's name is already in my
dhcpd.conf file and my smbusers files, if that matters.  I've previously
been able to add users with userconf, any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Eric Goforth
Senior Applications Programmer

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AutoCAD 2000
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:30:11 GMT

Thank you very much for your help

Bye
Martijn Rijkeboer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Does xconfig come with kernel RPM?
Date: 28 Apr 2000 10:40:46 -0500

In article <8ec010$lfh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> But where is xconfig? Or for that matter, menuconfig? Do they come
> with any of these RPMS:
>   kernel-2.2.1x
>   kernel-docs-*
>   kernel-headers-*
>   kernel-source-*

xconfig and menuconfig are not programs.  They are Makefile targets:

: xconfig: symlinks
:         $(MAKE) -C scripts kconfig.tk
:         wish -f scripts/kconfig.tk
:
: menuconfig: include/linux/version.h symlinks
:         $(MAKE) -C scripts/lxdialog all
:         $(CONFIG_SHELL) scripts/Menuconfig arch/$(ARCH)/config.in

You get them by running either "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" (at the
right time, in the right place).

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Novell-Linux file transfer help
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Valentin Abramov)
Date: 28 Apr 2000 15:02:43 GMT

In article <OjdO4.3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>You might consult the FileSystems HOWTO:
>><http://metalab.unc.edu/filesystems/howto/Filesystems-HOWTO-9.html>
>>
>>It _appears_ that there is a Netware filesystem available for the
>>Linux kernel; that _might_ allow you to pull the hard drive and mount
>>it on Linux.
>>
>>If the server is pretty old, then you may have a hardware
>>compatibility issue.
>>
>>Easier might be to hook up the Linux box to the Novell machine's
>>network.
>>
>>NCPFS <ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/ncpfs/ncpfs.tgz> is an NDS
>>client for Linux.
>>
>>See also:
>><http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ncpfs/!INDEX.html>
>
>Okay. To get the Novell machine on the Linux network I will probably need
>to change network settings on one machine or the other -- machine IP
>address certainly. It is probably easier for me to temporarily change the
>Linux machine. To do so I would need to review the Novell settings. Do
>you know of a resource wqhere I might find some basic Novell commands so
>I can see what the network settings are?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Simplest way IMHO: install IPX support and ncpfs on to Linux mashine. See
IPX-HOWTO

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/IPX-HOWTO.html

and links above for details.

Then you can connect to NW server (actually mount NW volume to Linux box) and
copy all necessary files to Linux. Only you have to know about NW server are
frame type and network number (but they can be autodetected, see IPX-HOWTO).
You can find these data also from NW server console - "load inetcfg" and then
follow menus.

Of cource, to mount NW volume to Linux box, you have to know user name
(preferably admin/supervisor) and password.

Regards,
Valentin Abramov