Linux-Misc Digest #331, Volume #20               Mon, 24 May 99 16:13:14 EDT

Contents:
  Re: /etc/issue (John Thompson)
  Re: RH6, Gnome & RealPlayer not quite right (Tim Ryan)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery (Unclebob)
  Log Watcher ("Kerry J. Cox")
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Matthew Kirkwood)
  Re: Cannot compile kernel in RH 6 (Peter Caffin)
  Kernel prob with suse 5.2 (Matthew King)
  A simple DOSEMU setup? ("K.A. Steensma")
  Re: Netscape 451 bug ? and question (Matt Starnes)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Erik Olson)
  Modem and Sound (Vinh Le)
  Re: Security: Messages in /var/log/secure (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Linux kernel source code online in HTML format? (Tom Fawcett)
  Kernel .config file for RH 6.0 ("M.V. Ramana")
  Re: Root Password lost... ("Robert B. Hamilton")
  Re: pptp for linux ?? (Richard Birchall)
  ls colors... not recognizing file extensions (Daniel Beckham)
  Re: A Capitalists view of freedom (Peter Seebach)
  Re: ^S in microemacs freezes xterm (Martin Whitaker)
  Need to rsh into a Linux box as root... (tnt)
  install does not see my cdrom ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Netscape 4.60 evaluation (Marc Mutz)
  Re: DFP digital LCD monitor, Matrox card, framebuffer/X woes (Marc Mutz)
  Re: /etc/issue (Alex Jacoby)
  Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc (The Guy with the Most Cake)

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /etc/issue
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:03:42 -0600

Grand Poobah of PRAM wrote:

> I've been runnin Redhat for a couple version (5.0 to 6.0), and I've
> noticed somthign that vastly annoys me-if you alter /etc/issue, it
> will change back to the default after rebooting.  Does anyone know
> what's doing this, and how to stop it?  I'm guessing it's one of the
> scripts in /etc/rc.*, and I'm thinking that changing the script will
> do it, butI'm not sure...

You just need to change /etc/rc.d/rc.local (ie, this
section):

--[clip]--
# This will overwrite /etc/issue at every boot.  So, make
any changes you
# want to make to /etc/issue here or you will lose them when
you reboot.
echo "" > /etc/issue
echo "Red Hat Linux $R" >> /etc/issue
echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue
--[/clip]--

Either remove the "echo "" > /etc/issue" and subsequent
lines to make /etc/issue permanent or add your own "echo
"whatever">>/etc/issue" lines to add your changes to what's
already there.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Ryan)
Subject: Re: RH6, Gnome & RealPlayer not quite right
Date: 24 May 1999 15:41:46 GMT

On 23 May 1999 10:26:56 -0400, Michael J. Saletnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> snip  <
> *) When I enable sounds in Gnome and/or Enlightenment, they seem to
>    lock the sound driver so that no other program can play sounds?
>
> snip  <
>
>Thanks, and please cc: replies via email...
>
>                                Michael
>
>--
>Michael J. Saletnik, PE  Tufts E'91 G'93 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Software Engineer, Thomson Financial Services
>Registered Professional Structural Engineer
>AIM: msaletni, ICQ: 24238794, www.tiac.net/users/icarus

Gnome uses esd for all sound. This is the Enlightenment Sound Daemon
and it does take over /dev/dsp completely. To use a program that
uses /dev/dsp use the esddsp wrapper. This redirects /dev/dsp through
esd. The only time I have trouble with this is when the libc versions
don't match.

Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Unclebob)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery
Date: 24 May 1999 15:37:13 GMT

On or about Sun, 23 May 1999 18:32:40 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>Yes I have, as a matter of fact I did it both ways and still I get that
=>error message. I even installed the latest pppd and still got the error
=>message.

=>I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.2.7 and I am using the Red Hat 5.1
=>distribution. Fortunately I still have my old kernel so I am able to use
=>the ppp option with the old kernel.
=>Any suggestions?
=>Thanx in advance
=>Alan

After coming into this thread, late, last and with the least, I gotta ask,

Did you say that you did the thing with dmesg and found no hint of ppp?

No boot messages that ppp was registered? Ran pppd and never saw a screen
full of gibberish? Did a script like ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer or
netcfg and their kin? Linuxconf? Kppp? Usernet? Insmod? Make modules,
make modules_install? Ln -sf /dev/modem /dev/ttyS0? Ran minicom /s for the
serial setup? Dialed your own number just to hear the busy signal?
Changed permission on pppd to +s? Setserial?

No error messages during the compile? Ran the compile again and again?
Changed versions? I used version 2.2.0, 2.2.2, 2.2.6
and now 2.3.3, must have missed 2.2.7 but that should have nothing to do
with your problem.

If you did all these things and still no ppp, I haven't a clue.

--
unclebob at theramp dot net                                                  80
___________________________________

------------------------------

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Log Watcher
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:24:33 +0000

    Anyone know of a log watcher for Linux and/or Solaris machines?  I
have a cron job to rotate the logs, but would like something to let me
know when the log files start filling up a partition.  We used to have
something similar to this that would be incorporated with BigBrother,
but we can't find it any more.  Basically, it monitors opartitions,
checks for any unusual activity, ports scans and the like.
    If anyone knwo what this please email me.  Thanks.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

------------------------------

From: Matthew Kirkwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:57:21 +0100

On 24 May 1999, Erik Olson wrote:

> > I agree totally that the Linux community doesn't like 4Front - hence ALSA
>
> Yes, but at what cost?  Its not in the distro's and its not 100%
> compatible.  Actually from ALSA's web page I'm not exactly sure what or
> even why it is.  I've read some posts that even have me worried from a
> commercial point of view it is less open/usable than 4Fronts OSS which I
> believe is now mainly maintained by Alan Cox.  From my point of view
> ALSA has only further obfuscated an already obfuscated situation, that
> is not progress.

ALSA is better designed, well implemented, completely free and has a
better API than OSS (though a compatibility API does exist).  It's also
much nicer to write drivers for.

ALSA wasn't really started because 4Front charge for their Linux sound
drivers.  It was started because a replacement for the OSS API and the
OSS/Lite implementation of it was becoming a clear necessity.

It's pretty much complete, and a definite improvement, even over Alan
Cox's much improved sound subsystem.

GGI is a similar project.  It never really took off in the same way that
ALSA has, but it is gradually converging with the fbcon's view of the
world, and will only go towards making Linux graphics safer and, in some
cases, faster.

Matthew.

------------------------------

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot compile kernel in RH 6
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 23:01:22 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc Jim Orfanakos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is with 'make boot'.  It finishes with the error:
> 'System is 612K'
> 'System is to too big'
> 'Try using bzImage or modules'
> Any Ideas?

To suggest the obvious, use `make bzImage` or else reduce the kernel size
by using modules.

Better yet, use `make bzlilo` to make the image and automatically have it
installed with LILO.

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: Matthew King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel prob with suse 5.2
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:55:48 +0100

NB. Please cc to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thx

SuSE 5.2 will not start when the kernel 2.2.7 is used. VFS panics
because it can't find the root fs on 00:00

I'm sure this shouldn't be 00:00, but 129:1 (I think? hdb1, whatever :)

hda is a 2 GB shared with win98 (-IE4) and DOS 6. hdb has 3 partitions,
hdb1 = "/", hdb2="/home" and hdb4=swap

This is on a fresh install, ie. Only suse and this kernel.

Is it possible that I must compile a special suse kernel? I know the
kernel with suse is different.

This problem occurs with lilo and loadlin. It did not occur with RH 4.2
or 5.2 (I didn't get to test *this* kernel, though).

With loadlin, the number is not 00:00. I forget what though. Under 100,
definitely.

I can boot the system, however, if I boot off the suse CD and select
boot installed system. I don't want to have to do this, though.

Any help appreciated.

Matthew

------------------------------

From: "K.A. Steensma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A simple DOSEMU setup?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:07:05 GMT

I am not new to Linux or to RedHat, but find the HOWTO for dosemu to be
somewhat hard to understand.  What I want to do is to have 5 (internal)
Win9X machines accessing a Clipper program through Samba.  This is not
problem.  Then there is one more Win9X machine that needs access over a
56K modem link.  Dragging the program over a TCP/IP connection seems to
be out of the question, so the next best thing is to telnet into the
Linux box and run a dos emulator.  But the HOWTO keeps talking about a
'dos partion' and I don't want to have one (just a sub-directory that
all authorized users can access).

Can someone point me to a simplier HOWTO that applies a bit more to my
desires?  Or someone that would be willing to email (back and forth) to
answer some questions.

TIA - Keith

------------------------------

From: Matt Starnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 451 bug ? and question
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:05:11 -0500

You can get the source from www.mozilla.org.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 24 May 1999 18:04:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Now this is a nightmare scenario I hope never happens to any company, but
>> the utter disreguard the GPL has for the commercial sector and their
>> priorities will let this sort of thing happen.  Freedom for the user my
>> @$$, what about my freedom for my company to make a profit?

> Why should you have freedom to profit from the works of others?

That was my point, the GPL will allow the above nightmare scenario.

> Why do they not have the freedom to request that you not do that?

The GPL doesn't give you that freedom.

And that was my point.  If more commercial companies are wanted to go open
source (and that (tm) thing really ticks me off) then some popular licences
are going to have to be created that protect the commerical companies
concerns.  That is what I mean by "the utter disreguard the GPL has for the
commercial sector."

The "free as freedom not free beer" argument seems to have prey'd on peoples
primal fears and patriotic flag waving beliefs, and not common sense and
clear thinking.  Read the GPL, it guarantees just as many freedoms
as it disreguards.  Don't you see that?  I'm not saying the GPL is bad,
I'm just saying understand the tenants of the political system you believe
in or be a foolish and mindless follower.  The GPL is a system of political
beliefs just as much as it is a software license.

> Ironically, I see many BSD advocates arguing in such a manner that they
> validate the GPL: "I have a right to take your code and deny that same

I am not a BSD advocate, I am not a GPL advocate, I am a Linux advocate.

> I'm sorry, you have no right to my labors at all.  The more you insist
> that you have such a right, the more I am convinced that the GPL is
> closer to being correct in its assumptions than the BSD license.

If you GPL your code you have just given me the right to hijack it.
And hijack it, for profit as in the example of HP selling a debugger
that is based on gdb.  HP is not doing anything wrong, they just
put a Motif front end which is closed source on top of gdb.

An even better example is the Sendmail company.  How they are getting away
with this level of proprietariness with the GPL is beyond me.

Didn't you know the GPL allows this?

erik olson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vinh Le)
Subject: Modem and Sound
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:01:46 GMT

Hi!

I just installed Red Hat 6.0 on my new system.  Everything
installed happily, except for the modem and soundcard.
After chatting with a friend, I found that I needed to
disable one of the internal serial ports to have the
modem configure as com1 or com2.  com1 was left at 03F8
IRQ4.  The modem became 02F8 IRQ3, presumably on com2.
I started up minicom and everything worked!  Since then,
I've used sndconfig to setup the sound card, which
configured fine, i.e. I could hear the samples.  Now,
however, every time I start minicom, I get

minicom: Cannot open /dev/modem: No such device

/dev/modem is linked to /dev/ttyS1.  This happens when
/dev/modem is linked to /dev/cua1 as well, which used to
work also.

I don't know if the soundcard config has any interference
problems with the modem, but it's the only major change
in my config.

Can someone shed some insight?

The modem is a USR Sportster 56K FAX ISA ( non-Winmodem )
and the soundcard is a SoundBlaster ViBRA 16X PnP ISA.
Each card has worked, but the modem part is currently not
happy.

Thanks!

Vinh
---
Vinh Le

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Security: Messages in /var/log/secure
Date: 24 May 1999 14:34:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Fred Kuipers wrote:
>  Imap is mail and pop3 is mail...
> which of these do I need for sendmail to send and receive mail (both internet
> and local mail)?

If all your mail goes in and out through sendmail, then you need
neither of these other daemons.

> What is the format of the hosts.* file??

It's all documented in the hosts_access(5) man page.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Tom Fawcett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux kernel source code online in HTML format?
Date: 24 May 1999 14:49:03 -0400

[newsgroups trimmed]

"Sidney Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I remember seeing a website that had this, anyone know the URL?
>
> I think this is what you mean:
> http://metalab.unc.edu/navigator-bin/navigator.cgi

I prefer this one, but YMMV:
http://wafu.netgate.net/linux/

-Tom

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:21:34 -0500
From: "M.V. Ramana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel .config file for RH 6.0

Hi,

I installed RH 6.0 on my laptop a couple of says ago. Although there
are still some quirks left to be ironed out, I must tip my hat (no
pun intended) off to RHAD for an impressive integration. The machine is
faster, niftier, CPU friendlier (my RH 5.2 used to turn my laptop into a
small sized furnace after running for about 3 hours) and gives you
fairly well integrated desktop options (I plan to use KDE most of the
time, while getting know GNOME). In my opinion, RH 6.0 marks a new
generation in
Linux distributions.

OK, end of laurels.

I may at some future date build a kernel or two. Since the precompiled
kernel
seems to work well, I would like to use it as a starting point, and so I
am
wondering if is it possible to get the .config (the configuration file
used to build the kernel) from somewhere (I looked in /usr/src/linux,
but to no avail).

Thanks in advance.

best,
Ram

From: "Robert B. Hamilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root Password lost...
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:22:27 -0500

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Jürgen Exner wrote:

> Robert B. Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> > On Sat, 22 May 1999, NF Stevens wrote:
> >
> > > It depends on how you have your machine set up. On mine using
> > > the linux single option in lilo brings up sulogin which requires
> > > the root password before going into single user mode.
> >
> > What if you pass init=/bin/bash to the lilo command line?
>
> If you would have read the LILO documentation you might have stumbled across
> the note, that **ANY** paramater added to the LILO command line requires the
> LILO password (if LILO has been setup that way).

If you had read the text you cited above more carefully
you would have noticed that I am responding to the idea of using
 *sulogin* by changing a line in *inittab*, or alternatively by
passing the "-b" flag to init.  Unless I misread the article by
Stevens, he meant to imply this improved security, which it doesn't.

Note that by the time sulogin is invoked by init, lilo is long long
gone, and init is running.

To the rest of the net, I'm actually trying to be helpful here.
I think that a false sense of security is even worse than having
bad security and being aware of it.  A sense of security in the
face of physical access to the box is most likely false, as has
been discussed in great detail on this group.

Robert Hamilton, PhD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     phone:(409)862-9597
Department of Physics, Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-4242

------------------------------

From: Richard Birchall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pptp for linux ??
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:43:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Andrew Blatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anybody have any good examples of using pptp for linux ??

Some info here:

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/PPTP/

Richard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Beckham)
Subject: ls colors... not recognizing file extensions
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:27:20 -0500

For some reason my ls color output does not recognize colors for file
extensions although, it works great for file types.  The colors are
specified in /etc/DIR_COLORS and if I issue a 'dircolors -p', I can see
that extensions such as .tar, .tgz, .gz, etc. all have colors associated
with them.

Anyone have a clue as to how I can get ls --color=tty to show colors for
all files specified?

FYI, I'm using RedHat 5.2.  I can remember this working great when I
first started using Linux, (1.44MB slackware files, downloaded one at a
time) but I've never seen it working in the RedHat distributions.

Thanks,

Daniel Beckham

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach)
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:47:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Kastrup  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>A gun lover in Germany will take the pains necessary to acquire a
>proper license.  He will be allowed to purchase weapons.  These
>weapons will be registered and their use can be traced back to their
>owner.

Just a side note:  Roughly 99% of firearms used criminally appear to be
stolen or otherwise illegitimate.  So, affecting the "registered" owners
does very little about the criminal population...

-s
--
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Whitaker)
Crossposted-To: comp.editors,comp.emacs
Subject: Re: ^S in microemacs freezes xterm
Date: 24 May 1999 16:36:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Bishop
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  The documentation says that microemacs does not change the
>  flow control of the terminal. What modification do I need to
>  do so that these commands actually work as intended. Do I need
>  to somehow disable the ^S (stop) in the xterm with some "stty"
>  command, or do I need to modify the microemacs source code???

If you have the source code, look in the file "unix.c", search for
the following:

        /* Set new modes */
        /* I do not believe the flow control settings of the OS should
           be diddled by an application program. But if you do, change this
           1 to a 0, but be warned, all sorts of terminals will get grief
           with this */
#if     1
        curterm.c_iflag &= ~(INLCR|ICRNL|IGNCR);
#else
        curterm.c_iflag &= ~(INLCR|ICRNL|IGNCR|IXON|IXANY|IXOFF);
#endif

and change the 1 to a 0. Works for me running in an xterm under
Solaris.

Martin

------------------------------

From: tnt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need to rsh into a Linux box as root...
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:04:09 GMT

Happy Monday all,
I want to backup my Redhat 6.0 box to a Sun 4mm dat tape drive on my
Solaris box. The problem is that I always get "permission denied" when
trying to "rsh" as root from the Sun to the Linux machine. Could anyone
give me a suggestion? Thanks.
-Tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: install does not see my cdrom
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:03:49 GMT

Hi,

   i recently downloaded 6.0 from sunsite and burnt a cdrom then
attempted to install.  I made the boot disk and booted into the setup.
If i just boot from it without going into expert mode (i had to with
5.2 so my cdrom would be seen) it just hangs when i select local
cdrom....  When i use expert mode, it says i need "2" more disks.
which disks?  there is no supp.img, only bootnet, boot, pcmcia.img
files.... Is this a bug with 6.0 or am i just missing something here?
I double-checked my download and all .img files under /images are
there.

billz

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:51:40 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.60 evaluation

==============0B99D37705A4E3D887A1A466

Chris Aiken wrote:

> I downloaded 4.6 from Netscape in the form of a gzipped tarball file.
> I installed in my /opt directory w/o any problems at all.  I edited the
> /bin/netscape script to point to my new version being careful not to
> destroy the old version.  It works great!  No problems so far.  It
Here is a script that I wrote for the sake of mainataining many NS
versions at one time and letting the user choose.
Put it into /usr/local/bin (or so) and for every version make a symbolic
link to it with the version number appended thus:
ln -s netscape netscape-4.08
ln -s netscape netscape-4.60
and so on
calling 'netscape' then results in calling the last version started
(great for making a button for your windowmanager), calling one of the
symlinks forces calling of that special version. Mixing calls of
different versions works great; apart from the usual 'licence agreement'
boxes that turn up all settings stay the same.
note that this works with >=4.xx versions only due to the changed nature
of the preferences-file.
note also that calling 'netscape' the first time is not tested, but
*should* result in starting the 'fallback-version' configurable in the
script.

Marc
==============0B99D37705A4E3D887A1A466

#!/bin/bash

NS_DIR=/opt
NS_FALLBACK_VERION=4.51

if [ "$(basename $0)" = 'netscape' ]; then
  if [ -f $HOME/.netscape/preferences.js ]; then
    NS_VERSIONLINE=$(grep browser.startup.license_accepted
$HOME/.netscape/preferences.js)
    NS_VERSION=$(expr match "$NS_VERSIONLINE"  '.+\"[0-9]+\ \([3-9]\.[0-9][0-9]\)')
  else
    :
  fi
else
  NS_VERSION=${0:(-4)}
fi

if [ -z "$NS_VERSION" -o ! -x "$NS_DIR/netscape-$NS_VERSION/netscape" ]; then
  NS_VERSION=$NS_FALLBACK_VERSION
fi

if [ -d $HOME/.netscape/cache ]; then
  rm -rf $HOME/.netscape/cache/*
fi

export MOZILLA_HOME=$NS_DIR/netscape-$NS_VERSION

$MOZILLA_HOME/netscape "$@"

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:01:28 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DFP digital LCD monitor, Matrox card, framebuffer/X woes

Roland Schmehl wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > Use Modes "default" (or something similar, see the
> > XF86FBDev-documentation available from xfree.org).
> >
> > Marc Mutz
>
> Hi Marc,
> sorry, I can't find the original question to this answer.
> Since I want to get a digital IBM flat panel, the T55D featuring a
> P&D connector, running under Linux, my question is: Is it possible
> anyhow and when, which combination of graphics card (ATI, Matrox, ...)
> and X-server do I have to use?
> Thank you,
> Roland Schmehl
as far as I recall, the questions was, how to get the Matrox-DFP-addon
to run under Linux. He used the XF86_FBDev-Server, but tried modelines,
which negated the effect that using FB has: to let the BIOS do card
initialization.

As of your question: The only Videocard supporting digital LCD's under
Linux is the ATI Xpert LCD (in conjunction w/ the patched 3.3.3
Mach64-Server downloadable from
http://www.fachschaften.uni-bielefeld.de). It features a DFP port only,
so you cannot connect your P&D plug directly to it. Perhaps there is
someone out there who knows if there are adaptors available, because the
underlying electrical spec's of both standards are almost identical.

Marc

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: uchi.comp.unix
From: Alex Jacoby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:42:50 GMT

If I'm not mistaken, I think the script copies /etc/issue.net
to /etc/issue at each reboot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Guy with the Most Cake)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc
Date: 24 May 1999 12:58:06 -0400

In article <XX123.41$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What I need is some help in making a decision.  Can someone point me to a
>place where I can get authoritative information on the architectures:
>Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc (if I can get it).

Basically, Alpha is focused on high clock speeds. This also means that it
is an extremely high power processor. Do not try to use an Alpha for
portable applications. Also, I doubt Alpha has a great future. It is
currently owned by Compaq and they really aren't in the business of
promoting Alpha.

The G3 architecture is great. It is high-throughput, energy-efficient, and
clean design. The problem is that unless you want to use MacOS, you get
little support. Linux is available, but even more than Alpha, not
everything is supported.

The x86 Intel architecture is awful. It has a RISC core and a CISC shell.
It's large, inefficient, and an ugly architecture. It does however carry
the best software availability and Intel spends alot of money developing
it. Also, because of places like AMD, this is a fairly economical.

The StrongARM Intel architecture is also very nice. It is the lowest power
consumer of any of these chips. It also is very clean and small. The
problem is that it is at Intel after having been developed by DEC. I'm not
sure that Intel is looking to put too much money into it. Again, there is
some Linux support, but not much else.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the SPARC architecture. Probably the
best architecture to invest in based on future potential, speed, and power
efficiency is the PowerPC. I'd love to see the Alpha and StrongARM go
places, but I don't think they're going to prosper given their current
ownership. Another architecture to consider is the Intel Merced
architecture, if they ever release it.

Peace and Luck!

Je77
--
"Today every invention is received with a cry of triumph which          O-
 soon turns into a cry of fear."  --Bertolt Brecht  8558891AB0C851B6    7