From: Glenn Valenta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Have you heard?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 15:30:18 GMT

CJ wrote:

> DanH wrote:
> >
> > Byron wrote:
> > >
> > > Perhaps I am different in this way....
> > >
> > > The way I see it, I am doing Microsoft a favor by attacking this site.
> > > Several people I know are making this into a "bigger dick" contest; to see
> > > who can do the most damage, etc.  This is what Microsoft wants people to do.
> > > Personally, I would rather do nothing to assist Microsoft and let them debug
> > > and stress-test their own damned code.  It seems that no matter what,
> > > Microsoft has a knack for insisting that users do its bug-hunting and beta
> > > testing for it.  I do not intend to participate.
> >
> > Microsoft is making an ass out of itself yet again.  This, for the
> > hacker community, is EXACTLY like the BSOD when Bill Gates himself tried
> > the PnP on national TV.
> >

> The way I think about it he's being pretty smart. The headline
> "M****soft puts win(whatever) up for hackers to break"  But does the
> fact that it's hardly up so no one can try make big news? In the months
> to come all anyone will remember is "MS put win(whatever) on the net for
> hackers" And come to the usumption that it is unbreakable. Never mind
> the fact NO one really had a chase to try. I can hear the win trolls
> now.
>
> Very smart move by MS. plant the headline in everyones head and fudge
> the rest.
> CJ

And leave it to ZD, the mouth piece of m$, to report it.

I hate those misleading headlines!

DOn't subscribe to anything ZD.

------------------------------

From: "Frederic SAVOIR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I'm looking for Akaitools for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 18:35:17 +0200

Hi,

I'm looking for a package called Akaitools for Linux... And I can't found it
anymore... Any idea where I could get it?

Sincerely,

Fred

------------------------------

From: nospam@nospam!.kom (Steve Nospam)
Subject: Re: Evergreen Spectra Processor Upgrade and Linux?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 16:32:56 GMT

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:57:27 +0000, Cokey de Percin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrotf:

>Steve Nospam wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with the Evergreen Spectra Pentium
>> processor upgrade running under Linux?  I am considering this in
>> conjunction with the soon to be available 400 MHz model, but am
>> curious if anyone has had any problems with Linux with kernel 2.2 (or
>> anything else).
>>

>I believe these are non-Intel processors.  We have several machines
>at work runing RH 6.0 with no problems on an earlier version (300mhz?).
>Just don't recompile for Pentium.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they are AMD K6-2s.  The question I have is whether I can switch
from an Intel Pentium to an AMD K6-2 processor (using the Spectra
upgrade) without having to recompile or make any changes in Linux.  If
major changes are required, I might as well get a new motherboard and
processor (for about the same price), but if I can save doing anything
to Linux and reinstalling Windows, then the Spectra could be a good
deal.

-Steve

*The only thing certain about the future is that it hasn't happened yet.*

------------------------------

From: "Walt and Denise Fles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: CDROM driver not supported in RH 6 install
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:56:12 -0500

Just wondering if it's one of those that is attached to the sound card.
THOSE need a driver before the system can access it ( as does the
sound card ).

If so, you probably can hook it up directly to a spare IDE channel and
forget about needing the additional driver.

Good Luck!

--
Walt and Denise Fles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:7ok5oa$mst$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Walt and Denise Fles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:56:12 -0500

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: Re: C structure size inconsitency
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 16:34:22 GMT

On 08 Aug 1999 10:55:32 -0400, Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>a char[] buffer for writing to and from.

You are right. That is the easiest solution to this problem.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Andreas Hinz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 16:34:22 GMT

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 06:00:07 GMT, Andreas Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Compiling the following:

Thanks, everyone. I have learned something about cross platform programming
today.

From: "Walt and Denise Fles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:56:12 -0500

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0 Installation problem
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:21:55 -0500

Tan wrote:

> Hi all, I am a linux newbie. I tried to install Red Hat 6.0 but was
> facing problem.
>
> I have 2 HDDs: FB ST2.1(as Pri Master), FB CR8.4(as Sec Master).
> I partitioned the HDDs as follow, using Windows FDISK:
> 1. FB ST2.1:    Pri DOS - C: 1512MB, FAT16, active, (Win98)
>                         Ext DOS - E: 502MB, FAT16, (used)
> 2. FB CR8.4:    Pri DOS - D: 1937MB, FAT16, (used)
>                         Ext DOS - F: 2047MB, FAT16, (unused)
>                                         - G: 1985MB, FAT16, (unused)
>                                         - 2078MB, (unallocated)

I assume you want to install Linux in the unused space on the
second disk.  I would suggest using the DOS (Windows) fdisk
to remove the extended partition on the second disk.  Then
do a custom install of Linux.  You will get the opportunity
to use the Linux fdisk (where it let you edit the partition
information).  This will still warn you that the second disk
has more than 1024 cylinders.   But you will still be okay
if you set up one partition of about 20 MB under the 1024
cylinder limit on which you will mount /boot.   The other
partitions need not be below this limit.  At the end of
the installation specify the master boot record
of the first disk for lilo.   If it doesn't let you make
that choice,  or if you want to be absolutely
safe about Windows, put lilo elsewhere and boot using your
boot floppy.   (You should be aware that with some BIOSs,
it takes forever to boot with that floppy, so long you think
something has hung.)  After you have Linux running, you
can make a copy of the master boot record of each disk
with
dd if=/dev/hda of=boot.dr1 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/hdb of=boot.dr2 bs=512 count=1
Then in case they get messed up by running lilo, you can
restore them if you know what you are careful. Also,
when you run lilo it makes a copy of the master boot
record before changing.  See the lilo man page and
documentation for details.

But I've never seen a case where putting lilo in the
master boot record of the first disk did not work
for a dual Windows/Linux installation.

> I tried installed Red Hat 6.0 from CD-ROM, but when come to
> partitioning, FDISK warned me that my 2nd drive's cylinder size is
> >1024 (IIRC 1027). I was not sure what to do, so I just go back and
> select Disk Druid instead of FDISK. Then I was able to add 2 Linux
> Native partitions(1Gb each) from my hdc (the 2nd drive). Then I wish
> to add Linux Swap but error msg said "No free primary" (there are 79MB
> left actually).

Disk Druid is not really designed for your situation.
Use custom install and fdisk.

> Also, I have no idea about some options in Disk Druid:
> 1. Mount point?
> 2. Drop to fill disk?
> 3. Allowable HDD? (there have hda and hdc)
> What are those options for and what should I enter?
>
> More doubts:
> 1. Will it be harmful if I Ctrl+Alt+Del at any point in Linux?

If you reboot any time during the Linux installation, it will
not harm your Windows partitions.  But of course if the Linux
installation is incomplete, it will have to be redone from the
start.

> 2. Should I FDISK the HDD 100% using Windows FDISK before installing
> Linux?

As I suggested above, I would use the Windows fdisk to remove
the extended partition and its contents on the second disk and
then partition for Linux using the Linux fdisk during installation.

> 3. Will Linux installation auto detect all my hardwares, especially
> CD-ROM, soundcard, mouse, k/b, and modem? If not, how do I install it
> into Linux system?

It should detect the CD drive, the mouse and the keyboard.  You
will have to do some configuration afterwards for the modem and
the soundcard.

> 4. How to install software downloaded into Linux?

No further installation is usually required.  A few programs
like gimp ask each user to `install' them when first called, but
you just follow instructions.

> 5. If anyone have installed Red Hat 6.0 before, can you please guide
> me the installation step-by-step, as I am totally Linux idiot.

This would be too involved for an e-mail posting.  The documentation
is quite detailed.  Why don't you study it carefully along with
the responses you get to this posting and then ask further questions
about points you don't understand.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: netscape problem
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:38:47 -0400

I minimized the toolbar panels  at the top of the navigator screen.   I
can not maximize them.  The
web page is obscurring the button to the left of the toolbar.  How do I
make the toolbar panes visible? I am usibf netscape 4.6.

Thanks

Al

------------------------------

From: Rainer Wiener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: startx -- -bpp 16.....too long to type
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:00:12 +0200

Nevyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,
> i want to keep using startx to start x but i like to start it like
> above, and would like to know if i can modify a file so i can go back to
> just typing startx but still getting the better colour depth....any
> ideas??
put the following line into your XF86Config:

..
Section "Screen"
  Driver        "SVGA"
  Device        "Primary Card"
  Monitor       "Primary Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     16 <------ this line must be input
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       8
    Modes       "800x600"
  EndSubSection
..

Now your X will start with 16bit.
I hope this will help

Cu

Rainer

--
Am 28. August findet die 1. Linux-Installationsparty im Computer Club
Ostfriesland in Hesel statt. Infos unter http://www.cco-online.de/linux/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rejo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Beginner problem, please help
Date: 8 Aug 1999 13:39:22 GMT

++ <7ojjot$e0p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Sun, 08 Aug 1999 09:48:14 GMT; [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>How can I prevent Red hat boot to X window?

Have a look at the file /etc/inittab, one of the first lines defines the
default runlevel. (Mine is runlevel 2, multi-user with network; yours is
probably runlevel 3, multi-user with network and xdm, now.)

    -Rejo.

--
= Rejo  [Sister Ray Crisiscentrum]                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
= http://mediaport.org/~sister                PGP: RSA FAE40065, DSS/DH 2C8059B5

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Jones)
Subject: Mandrake 6.0 rpm broken
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:36:42 +0100

I've just upgraded from RH5.2 to Mandrake 6.0
half way through the upgrade (during the package update) the install program cr
ashed.  I restarted & it appeared to run smoothly, however, I can no longer run
 rpm.

The error message I get is as follows:

[root@koinonia rpm]# rpm -qv netscape-communicator
cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault

I need to remove some of the older packages that I no longer use,  Help!

Andy

From: Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: X a bit weird on AGP SiS 6326 video card. (text, cursor invisible)B
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 23:42:08 -0400

"G. Georgiev" wrote:

>         Hi,
>
>         I did install XFree86 3.3.3.1 from the slackware 4.0 (Thanks,
> Patrick!)  cdrom and it behaves a bit strange, the main problem being
> there are not any letters in xterm and in the menus or whatever text in
> any program. Programs function normal, except there is nothing to read in,
> like if all letters are the same color as the background. I did try xterm,
> color_xterm, rxvt, file managers, others.
>
>         The other problem is that the pointer appears as a big white
> square, not an arrow or the well-known cross ('X'). xsetroot -def does
> change the background, but not the pointer.
>
>         The video card is on-board SiS 6326 chipset with 8M of memory, I
> run the distribution-supplied 2.2.6 kernel. I was forced to use the
> 'noaccel' option, will try to improve the performance later.

I think that's the same chipset that's in my Diamond A50. Try adding
these lines to the Device section of XF86Config (I didn't need
no_accel):

Option "no_bitblt"
Option "sw_cursor"

Jon
--
Jon Bloom, KE3Z
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 8 Aug 1999 11:54:04 -0500

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999 16:23:05 +0100, Nevyn

>i want to keep using startx to start x but i like to start it like
>above, and would like to know if i can modify a file so i can go back to
>just typing startx but still getting the better colour depth....any
>ideas??

Too long to type?  Put this in your .bashrc file (assuming you
use bash shell)

alias a='startx -- -bpp 16'

Next time you log in you just need to type a.  Can you beat that?

------------------------------

From: "Jens Chr. Bachem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: ANNOUNCE: 6th International Linux Kongress - Registration Started
Date: 8 Aug 1999 17:41:11 GMT

6th International Linux Kongress - Registration started

The program of the 6th Kongress has been nearly completed, and a lot
of interesting  speakers will find their way to Augsburg, Germany:

        http://www.linux-kongress.de/program.html

Visitor registration has been started on August 1st - the registration
form is available online:

        http://www.linux-kongress.de/registration.html

There will be an exhibition by companies with Linux-related products
at the Kongress. There are still booths available:

        http://www.linux-kongress.de/exhibition.html

We are still looking for sponsors helping us with the speakers travel
expenses or supporting the Social Event:

        http://www.linux-kongress.de/sponsoring.html

Feel free to direct any questions regarding the Kongress to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or the GUUG office (see address below).

The Kongress Team

GUUG Office
Elsenheimerstraße 61
80687 München