Linux-Misc Digest #379, Volume #20               Fri, 28 May 99 07:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: "Art Format" images? (Tim Sutherland)
  core dump ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  tar append problem (terry tashiro)
  Graphics Tablet for Linux (Erik Lins)
  Re: first/second/third world (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
  Re: first/second/third world (Ed Avis)
  RE: only seeing 32mb memory ?? (Andrew Clayton)
  Netscape and libXt on Redhat6 (Brian Skreeg)
  Re: xterm & background processes ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: w and who, how do I re-install (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: Linux desperately needs filters (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: fetchmailconf stopped working. (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Maestro Driver ? (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Help changing video driver (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (gus)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (gus)
  Recording sound from line input (Ron Olsen)
  Re: System Admin (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: Will a SupraExpress 56i modem run under linux? (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: Large CD-ROM file errors...? (Mogens Kjaer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Sutherland)
Subject: Re: "Art Format" images?
Date: 28 May 1999 09:32:43 GMT

In article <7il3ue$rbs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim Osborn wrote:
>D. Vrabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>>On 27 May 1999, Jim Osborn wrote:
>>
>>> The web page's author, on AOL, says they're "in art format which
>>> displays well in MSIE."... I thought I'd ask around if anyone
>>> knows about this format, and what we Linux folks can use to view it.
>>
>>Run file(1) on them.  That should tell you what they are.
>
>...And the answer is "data" as is usual for most things binary in Unix.

run `strings foo.art | head`

--
I've read SEVEN MILLION books!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: core dump
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:21:59 GMT

Getting familure with Linux (RH 5.2), tried to
look at the memory allocation in memory. I found
"/dev/mem" and tried to read the file with 'joe',
It was unreadable. Exited 'joe' and got a report
of 'dump' or core dump'. I found "core" file in
my root directory. Illedgable with any editor I
use. "core" file is greater than 5 megs.

Question:
  1. What did I do wrong?
  2. Is this file a 'core dump' of /dev/mem?
  3. Is it necessary to do any repairs to
       /dev/mem?
  4. How should I do any repairs, outside of
       reloading RH.
  5. Just what is 'core dump'? I remember the
       statement from back in the 60s. But then
       we had 'magnetic cores'.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

From: terry tashiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tar append problem
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:28:21 +0100

Hi all,

I am having a problem with tar -r option (appending).
I can create an archive on a tape but can't append at all.
What I have done is shown below:-

[root@www /tmp]# tar cvf /dev/st0 t1
t1

[root@www /tmp]# tar tvf /dev/st0
-rw-r--r-- root/root 3 1999-05-28 02:05 t1

[root@www /tmp]# tar rvf /dev/st0 t2
t2
tar: WARNING: Cannot close /dev/st0 (3, -1): Input/output error

Redhat 5.2 + kernel 2.2.6
Tape drive: exabyte SCSI 8mm

I have never come across problems like this before.

Does anyone know why?

Many thanks in advance.

Terry

My address in the header is anti-spam.

From: Erik Lins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Graphics Tablet for Linux
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:18:38 +0200

Hi Folks,

I would like to use some kind of graphics tablet (on which one can draw
with a kind of pen and has some button for certain actions) with linux
(especially GIMP).
Of course, a simple one, which behaves to the computer like a mouse
should work, but I would prefer using it together with my PS2 mouse and
not instead of. One possibility could be to have a PS2 mouse and a rs232
graphics tablet and to change X11 setting according to the device I want
to use at that time. More elegant would be to have both available the
whole time.
I didn't find any tablets especially for linux, but maybe someone knows
one, which works.

Thanks in advance,
ER!K

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: 28 May 1999 11:58:03 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ed Avis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Richard Kulisz wrote:
> >>And no, the USSR was never a first-world nation. It used to be third-
> >
> >'Second-world'?  Surely that would be the same as 'new world', ie
> >America?
>
> US, Western Europe and Canada are First World. East Block (including
> Italy IIRC) used to be Second World but they're now back to Third World.
  ^^^^^

Was Italy supposed to be part of the East Block or of the second
world? :)

Besides, I'm not sure that, say, Slovenia or the Czech Republic could
be considered third world.

Why are we having this discussion?
--
Ottavio Rizzo                   IRMAR, Campus de Beaulieu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Université de Rennes 1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Kendrick)
Crossposted-To:
ucd.general,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club,ucd.cs.programming,ucd.cs.ugrad,ucd.cs.grad,ucd.ece.ieee,ucd.org.asme,ucd.org.swe
Subject: LOCAL: Linux User Group of Davis (LUGOD) - May 31st Meeting
Date: 28 May 1999 09:52:29 GMT

WHAT:
=====
  LUGOD: The Linux User Group of Davis

WHEN:
=====
  Monday, May 31st, 1999
  6:30pm

WHERE:
======
  Roundtable Pizza
  2151 Cowell Blvd., Suite A
  Davis, CA 95616
  530-753-1883

WHY:
----
  Topics will include:

    * Introduction to new members

    * News and open forum

    * Committess:
        UCD RESNET HOWTO: Final Draft
        UCD-PPP HOWTO: Final Draft (again)
        Social Tax Exempt Group Status
        Highschool Project
        LUGOD Logo
        Ambassador to other LUGs

    * SPEAKERS:
        Zach Johnson
        Hardware/OS in the UC Davis Mathematics Dept.

        Peter Salzman
        Hardware/OS in the UC Davis Physics Dept.

    * Topics:
        Installfest Aftermath
        Linux Demo Day
        Changes to the Constitution

WHO:
----
  LUGOD is open to all members of the public.

HOW:
----
  For more information about LUGOD, please visit our website:
    http://www.lugod.org/

  If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

sys (Vice Chairperson)                                          Bill Kendrick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/                   http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/

------------------------------

From: Ed Avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:08:27 +0100

Richard Kulisz wrote:

>US, Western Europe and Canada are First World. East Block (including
>Italy IIRC) used to be Second World but they're now back to Third World.

Er... right.

I always thought:

Old World:  Europe and the Mediterranean

New World:  The Americas

Third World:  Everywhere else

but nowadays people seem to use 'Third World' to describe any
developing country.

--
Ed Avis

------------------------------

From: Andrew Clayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: only seeing 32mb memory ??
Date: 28 May 1999 09:59:34 GMT

add the line

append="mem=96M"

to your /etc/lilo.conf assumming youre using lilo.
As root run lilo (not sure if this is needed, but it won't hurt), then reboot.

If you are using loadlin or something you can probably just add the append bit
at the end of your loadlin line.

Andrew Clayton                              |  E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Skreeg)
Subject: Netscape and libXt on Redhat6
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:10:49 GMT

Redhat6.0

Got the latest Netscape6 glibc tarball , installed it , but it errors
"cant load libXt.so.6"

This lib is installed, it is in the ld.so.conf file and it is used by
other programs. ANy other reason? 4.51 is driving me bonkers with its
keyboard stopping working every 5 mins and random vanishing acts.

Ozzy

Mongrol of The Great Unclanned
"Keep your `lectric eye on me babe,
 Put your railgun to my head."
                Moonage Daydream, Bowie.

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xterm & background processes
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:35:18 GMT

Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> DESCRIPTION
>>      The nohup utility invokes the named command with  the  argu-
>>      ments supplied.  When the command is invoked, nohup arranges
>>      for the SIGHUP signal to be ignored by the process.

> this doesnt help me one bit. I tried 'nohup ./replay &' and then hit
> Ctrl C and then exited out of the xterm and Replay still shutdown on
> me.....so now what?

does replay want to continue talking to stdin? (if so, it'll exit
with an end-of-file when you take its terminal away).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: w and who, how do I re-install
Date: 27 May 1999 16:23:34 -0700

Citnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>    But doesn't Linux already posses a lot of back doors already? (Err, not back
> doors but security leaks) Even with re-installing, the same 'leak' or
> breach-in-security that allowed the one hacker to break into the system in the
> first place, could be exploited again.
not nec. --the box was cracked for a reason.  Judging by the level of the the
original post, it was probably a default redhat (or any other distribution); i.e.,
imap, pop[1-3], sendmail, rexe, etc. were all left running.  of course, if he
doesn't take the time to learn how to secure the machine it will be broken into
again.

which begs the question: Why do all of the distributions set themselves up
to be as insecure as possible?  I would much rather be answering questions
like "how do enable telnet connections" than "my box was cracked and now
who doesn't work..."
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux desperately needs filters
Date: 27 May 1999 14:51:21 -0700

work hard on filters so that MS can change the format?  it
seems pointless unless MS starts using XML.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: fetchmailconf stopped working.
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:38:21 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 02:44:12 -0400, Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have been having some weird problems recently, one of which is man
><cmd> spitting out that groff is not a directory and such, explained
>further in (two :( previous posts..

[snip]

Could it be permissions messed up?  Since you have RH 5.2, try
this (may take a while...)

    rpm -qa|xargs rpm --verify

Any files that come up with "M" in the flags have had permissions
changed.

I'm not saying that *is* your problem - just something to try...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Maestro Driver ?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:38:27 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 15:08:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anybody know if there are any Maestro drivers for Linux?

f Meastro 1 or Masetro 2E (not Masetro 2), www.opensound.com
should get you a beta version.  Every 3 hours you have to type in
"soundon" and every 2 weeks you have to re-install it...

...unless you pay $20.

I intend to - as soon as they get it out of beta and fix that damn
clicking sound :-)

Too bad there's so much crap hardware going around - the Maestro
isnt even a good card, IMHO.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Help changing video driver
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:38:23 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 13:34:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
>card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
>How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
>Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
>Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
>Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
>Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
>out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
>startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
>work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
>evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
>for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
>first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
>truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Do you mean you see strange characters instead of the normal text?

After you get back to text mode, try typing in - very carefully
(since you cant see what you're doing):

    echo ^V^O <enter>

where the ^V is a Ctrl-Vm the ^O is a Ctrl-O.

If this doesnt fix it, I have misunderstood your question.

If it does, I dont really see how a video card upgrade should
cause this problem!

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:59:07 +0100

Duncan / ir BaRRiL wrote:

> Jamie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > It is amazing the number of people that do not realise that Win 95 is
> > running on top of DOS just like 3.x did.  They just put a (not so)
> > pretty picture up at the begining to hide the DOS stuff at boot time.
>
> just wait "Now you can turn off your pc" screen and type in keyboard:
> mode co80 (enter)
> Wow!! You are in dos....
> or type in turn off screen: format c:.... no just a joke :-)
>
> Duncan

This is only true if you boot to a DOS prompt, and then start Windows
with "win". Otherwise Wondows is tha ctual command shell. It is sort of
like running X from an xdm, or from a command prompt...

gus

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:51:21 +0100

Erik Olson wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Erik, I recommend that you read the license again....
> > less /usr/src/linux/COPYING.
> > Read point 0 and 1.
>
> Thanks for the /path.  I read 0) and 1) and I don't see how they relate
> to GPL'd Linux Kernel calls being OK from closed source commercial apps.
> Point 1) does say you can charge money for it, by my issue was about
> the "closed source" nature.
>
> > There is nothing wrong with writing commercial applications for linux
> > just so long as you do not copy / use / base any code on the *source*
> > *code* of a GPL program. There is *nothing* wrong with using a GPL
> > program for what it is desiged for.
>
> OK, if this is the case then how is calling a GPL'd Linux kernel function
> any different than calling a GPL'd library function?  Being called is what
> they both were designed for.

gcc is GPL, is anything compiled with gcc GPL? *no*!!!

So, where is the gap ... ;-)

StarOffice, Oracle, Sybase, SAP all run on Linux (and call kernel
functions ...) and none are GPL, have they broken a license? *no*!

Either they have made a mistake, or we mis-understand the license.

> RMS's main point in his "use GPL for libraries and not the LGPL" rant
> was to lessen library usefullness for closed source commercial products.
> This I believe was RMS's whole point of the article.

My take on the "spirit" of GPL is to do one and only one thing. To allow
people / organisations to contribute intellectual material (in the form
of software) to the general public. It is the request of the owner that
there is no charge to be made for any of his/her intellectual material.
The GPL entrenches that because it says that any use of the material
(The *source code*) must also be released under the same license as the
original code. Thus, the desire of the code "owner" perpetuates with the
license. The intellectual material he/she contributed remains freely
accessible to all who use it. The GPL protects the code.

Let me say it again. The GPL entrenches the rights of *everyone* to be
able to access [for free, or reasonable distribution cost] the *source
code* to any application which includes any source code derived from GPL
applications. There is no requirement to release your "product" under
GPL *unless* it, or some of it, is derived from the *source code* of
another GPL "product"...

Let me say it again. The GPL entrenches the rights of *everyone* to be
able to access the *source code* to any application which includes any
source code derived from GPL applications. There is no requirement to
release your "product" under GPL *unless* it, or some of it, is derived
from the *source code* of another GPL "product"...   ;-) ;-)

basically, it is wrong to try to restrict access to any code which is
previously GPLed.

> > If I were to wrap a GPL program in a
> > non-gpl suite, there is nothing stopping me from charging for the
> > wrapper, just so long as I do not charge for the GPL program.
>
> Charging is OK, but that wrapper had better be open source and GPL'd!

No, the wrapper does not restrict access to intellectual property (the
object it wraps) which is under the GPL. If I write the wrapper (without
including any GPL source code), it is *my* property. I can do with it
what I want, including charge a million for it, and withold the source.
It may not make financial sense, but I can still do it. Just so long as
if I also distribute the application it wraps, I make the source
available for that application with that pplication, and do not charge
for *that* applicaion (other than reasonable distribution costs).

> So are you saying you can charge if you use GPL code and your app is
> open source.  But you can't charge for the app if it isn't open, but
> you can charge for the wrapper?  If that is what you are saying then
> I missed that in my interpretation of the GPL.  Time for me to re-read
> it for the Nth time today.

I think you got a wire crossed here.

I am saying that you can charge for an application which does *not*
contain any source code derived from GPL software regardless of what
calls it makes to *other* applications even if that other application
*is* GPL.

Let me say it again ;-), the GNU Public License does not restrict the
manner in which an application is used, it restricts the manner in which
the source code can be used and distributed.

My understanding of the LGPL is far more sketchy. But, my understanding
of it is that it is a compromise between certain parties which want to
make an application available *free-of-charge* for distribution (like a
driver), without releasing the source code (because it includes
intellectual property which is valuable, and a trade-secret), but to
make the library / driver useful they have to incorporate code which
would otherwise be GPL. Their choice (without the LGPL) is to loose
secrecy of their intellectual property by releasing under GPL, or to not
release at all in which case there is one less driver/library available.

I could be way off base on that one, and thinking of another license.

> erik olson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Anyway, been fun

gus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Olsen)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Recording sound from line input
Date: 28 May 1999 10:53:46 GMT

I'm running RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.9.  I've got a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Value
sound card.  I usually run KDE as my desktop.

I'm trying to record sound from the line input of the sound card, and I can't
figure out how to do it.  When I connect a source (the CD player on my home
stereo system) to the line input, I can hear the sound through the speakers or
headphones connected to the soundcard, but I can't figure out how to record the
sound to a file.

My mixer settings seem to be OK.

Does anyone know how to record sound from the line input on the sound card?

My ultimate goal is to record some of my old vinyl albums and write them onto
CDs.  Has anyone done this on Linux?  If so, how?

        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System Admin
Date: 27 May 1999 14:53:40 -0700

_Essential Unix System Administration_, Frisch and Vol 8
of the X Windows System series, both O'Reilly of course.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Will a SupraExpress 56i modem run under linux?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:10:32 GMT

Mark,

If you were able to change the modem's IRQ under Win95/98 then you've
probably got your modem set up in ISA Plug N Play mode.  Correct?
Does the 56Ki have jumpers that you can use to force the modem
to a particular COM port and IRQ?  If not, you're going to have to
install isapnptools under Linux.  You have to use this tool to
enable any plug and play devices under LInux and to assign appropriate
COM ports, IRQ's, etc to your ISA PnP cards.

What type of motherboard/BIOS do you have?  If you have an Award BIOS then
I've also had very good luck setting "Plug and Play OS" to NO in the BIOS.
On my systems this tells the BIOS to set up PnP devices to appropriate
COM ports, IRQ's during boot instead of letting the OS handle it.  If you
do this and it works you should not have to use isapnptools.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Large CD-ROM file errors...?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:06:26 +0200

Mark Tranchant wrote:

> I got a friend to burn the StarOffice 5.1 download onto a CD-R for me
> rather than taking it home on 51 floppies. This CD-R was burned under
> Windows 95, with a file name of so51_lnx_01.tar (note: a long file
> name!).
>
> On getting home, I booted up Linux (2.2.9, with full CD support
> including Joliet compiled in) and tried to copy the 70.6MB file.
> However, Linux could only see the first 16MB or thereabouts. The copy
> succeeded and tar de-archived the file fine up to the truncation.
>
> So I tried DOS (7.0), which saw it as many files of about 650KB each,
> all with the same name. Argh!
>
> Windows 95 read it correctly and copied it fine, although it took *ages*
> (about 20 minutes on a 486DX4/120 with 24x EIDE drive).

Was this done on the same machine (i.e. the same CDROM drive)
as the one running Linux? The fact that it takes a long time to
read this cd in windows might suggest that it
is more or less defect. Maybe some drives are better for error
correction,
maybe windows allows for more retries...

I have seen many examples of problems with homeburned cd's, some won't
be read by some cdrom drives, and some will.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08