From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The Glass Cathedral
Date: 28 May 1999 06:32 GMT

Of course, we all know where distributors' and system administritors'
moolah comes from: an inadequacy between the system offered and the
needs of the general public. There's absolutely not a shade of a doubt
that Linux, an OS that overwrites files without prompting, is not for
the casual user. This fact has been recognized by M$ at least since
DOS 3.

But how the hell, in this crocked world of ours, would "evangelist"
Eric Raymond admit making his dough in such an horrid way? I never
thought my hoax would stand for more than a few hours. How could the
clever Linux community not find out that I had made up the whole
second paragraph of my "Linux: 750 million users by 2004?" (See my
original posting below below.)

Bah! I don't know... maybe I would have been fooled myself, but I
would certainly have checked the original text. Raymond's true
pretension about Linux having 750 millions users in five years is just
too outrageous. Gee! Who would be left using Windows, save Gates,
Allen and Ballmer? I even thought Businessweek was putting on an hoax
of its own. How about this excerpt: " [Raymond writes an arithmetic
formula to determine this]" Does this sound serious?

Then I thought of Raymond's authoritative opus: The Cathedral and the
Bazaar.
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar.html
The big bangle there is in the sort of "Release Early, Release Often"
and "The Importance of Having Users", in other words, thoughts after
the fact on developing on the internet. How long does this go in the
way of describing the new structure of development as a "bazaar"?

As we all know, the odd numbered versions of the kernel -- 2.1, 2.3,
etc -- are development versions. People with some programming
experience can get their hands at it, adapt it to their hardware or
purpose, which wasn't possible before the internet and open source.

Isn't there inevitably a Cathedral structure in the development of any
OS? If you can't write a driver, it's very unlikely that you'll be
checking other people's work under Torvalds' supervision anytime soon.
The term "Glass Cathedral" would certainly describe this kind of
structure more appropriately, as you can learn from the code other
people write and the community can evaluate other people's skills.

As for the bazaar, I'm afraid it does exist, but it's rather in the
distribution scheme. It's Redhat saying "Of course, Linux is free!
Just don't forget if you lend your CD with BRU, you might get into
trouble" or "Too bad if you have Windows installed and Rockridge
extensions don't work! Why don't you buy our distribution with the
book?" or "You think our instructions lead you nowhere? Just call us,
we're strong on $ervice!" It's also Suse installing an Applix demo
(400 megs!) by default. It's all those Netscape-pl'ed and QT-pl'ed and
whoever-pl'ed licenses that spring from all over and are intertwined
with true GPL software, etc.

In terms of classic economy, this is a hell of a bazaar. At the
present time, euphoria seems the only politically correct attitude
towards this turmoil; I just hope it doesn't end up in a legal chivvy
like the world has never known.

For now, it seems to me Linux is going nowhere fast. It's not sound to
expect that we'll put the whole population into a sysadmin spirit.
People in general have other concerns and they will neither pay gurus
for support everytime a problem arises, nor roam usenet until they
find out which answer really makes sense. If users don't get a fairly
clear understanding of the basic structure and functionning of their
system, the game is lost for Linux.

I'm certainly not much of a Linux guru: after checking HOWTOs, minis
and maxis, and FAQs, I still haven't found out how to get the keyboard
I want for working at the prompt (CF). But I've got a feeling that
many other non-gurus share. Like investors, I believe that if the
present conditions prevail, Linux will be a passing fad. In ten years
from now, when bank transactions, home buying, car rentals, hotel
reservations, movie rentals, etc., will almost obligatorily go through
the internet, Linux will only be a nice geek's souvenir.

Of course, we know that Gates and Allen are selling their shares like
crazy, but is it that they're afraid Windows is loosing ground or are
they only getting more and more people economically interested in the
survival of Windows, while investing themselves in satellite and cable
networks, data and image banks, and all kind of rental services which,
of course, will all be Windows oriented?

Getting a better share of the server market for Linux won't do. The
ludicrous "Frontpage extentions"(1) have already helped M$ enter the
server market. Imagine what a wedge they're building now!

(1) But did the Linux community help understand the use of scripts?
Were simple scripts installed on servers so people could learn how to
use them, or were they only offered as "$upport" to commercial
accounts? (Some ISPs offer free pre-written scripts. But they're the
exception.)

More money and power is at stake here than at any other moment in
history and it's no use to expect the game will be played fairly: any
kind of manipulation is possible. Never-ending inquests could be
undertaken (1) to determine who's THE vilain and who's just a
simpleton in this silly game. It would be a terrible loss of time.

(1)For instance, how is it that AOL, who got along so well with M$,
finally bought Netscape?

The only thing that matters is the users base. People must feel that
Linux is not a geeks' toy, that they too can apprehend and comprehend
it. Pretending to turn the young generation into a bunch of Linux
geeks is talking nonsense: even if it was possible, it would happen
way too late.

Measures must be taken immediately to provide well-organised
information to people who want to get a basic knowledge of their
system, people who don't intend to become top-flight programmers but
don't want to get stuck in front a user interface when the first
problem arises(1). Otherwise, the Glass Cathedral will shatter.

(1) See: "AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!"  on
comp.os.linux.misc, for a possible way to achieve this goal.

Here's my previous posting. Figure out which hoax is the most
extravagant : )

=========

Linux: 750 million users by 2004?.

"I Want to Live in a World Where Software Doesn't Stink"

In a Q&A, Linux evangelist Eric Raymond talks about unseating
Microsoft as the OS of choice. (Businessweek)

(...)

Q: Five years from now, how many people will be using Linux?

A: If we continue to grow our user rate at the level we've been doing
now, [Raymond writes an arithmetic formula to determine this] we'd get
six doubling periods, which means just shy of a billion people, 860
million in fact. I'm not expecting it to be quite that high because
trends like this tend to show logistic growth rather than exponential,
and it's not clear what the threshold is. I'd say somewhere near 750
million would be a good conservative estimate.

(I made up the following paragraph.)

Q: A conservative estimate? Isn't Microsoft still thriving on selling
software? How can Linux survive giving away its own?

Something must be made clear here. Microsoft is selling software,
we're selling service. Let me give you an exemple. While working at
the prompt, whereas Windows asks before overwriting a file, Linux just
sends it  to limbo. Though nowadays people rarely work at the prompt,
on some occasions, they have to. After loosing a few files this way,
they call support. We provide a little shell script and they're back
to heaven. Expect to see Linux prices skyrocketing in the next few
years.

(...)

Well, who am I to contradict such an "evangelist"? But I'd lay a bet:
if there ever is 750 million Linux users in 5 years from now, 90% of
them will still be booting Windows by default. Lilo's end isn't near.

Do read the whole story:
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/apr1999/nf90427c.htm

GP

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Large CD-ROM file err
Date: 28 May 1999 14:17 GMT

In article <7ilem0$4ke$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bzzzt ... he burned a single 70MB tarfile, not a whole directory tree.
>(Read the original post.)  The issue is that Linux shows a truncated
>(16MB) file instead of the whole thing.  Needless to say, Windoze sees
>the CD the way it wrote it.

Maybe linux is looking at the file size on a different location.

This is not a joke as the file size and file pointers are stored two
times in each directory record: in big endian and little endian format.
It is not unheard of that these fields don't contain the same values as
they should.

Also, all the file informations are stored an extra time in the separate
parallel directory structure that holds the Joliet directory tree.

Villy

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gdm compilation troub
Date: 28 May 1999 07:47 GMT

Brent wrote:

> When compiling gdm-1.0.0 i get the following error -
>
> `yp_get_default_domain'
> Brent

Maybe you need some NIS library.

Charly.

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bart or Lisa could ke
Date: 28 May 1999 04:47 GMT

In article <7igq5e$uun$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>Jonas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Pelletier) writes:
>
>: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) =E9crivait/wrote:
>: >
>: > >> Indeed! And I'm glad to take your word for it: now I can say I know
>: > >> one of those rare birds. Still 99,999 to find. That's a lot.
<snip>
>99,996.
<snip>
99,995 now. Seriously, how many Linux users read comp.os.linux.misc? Obviously
there is going to be more than 100,000 people that use Linux and not Windows.

Let's add a whole lot of kernel hackers (Linus, Alan) etc, Rasterman, Miguel,
Raymond, RMS - many well known people that don't use Windows and do use Linux.

--
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0
Date: 29 May 1999 00:17 GMT

==============8C0133C52A9165004ECE6F38

Coder69 wrote:

> Do you know where I can get a 'FREE' Red Hat 6.0 CD or CD of any ew
> distribution? If you know, e-mail me.
>
> Thanks
>    - The Coder
>         - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Not free, but very cheap from cheapbytes.com.
RedHat 6.0 distribution for 1.99 plus shipping.
Also an RPM cd and  some archive CDs.
I bought mine from them and just installed this week.
It was pretty easy.

|                Charles A. Cusack                |
|                 Graduate Student                |
|  Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
|         University of Nebraska-Lincoln          |
|                                                 |
|           e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |

==============8C0133C52A9165004ECE6F38

Coder69 wrote:
CD or CD of any ew
Not free, but very cheap from cheapbytes.com.
<pre>--&nbsp;
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| Charles A.
|Cusack&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|
||&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| Graduate
|Student&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
|&nbsp; Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; University of
|Nebraska-Lincoln&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e-mail
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
+-------------------------------------------------+</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: first/second/third wo
Date: 28 May 1999 17:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ed Avis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Kulisz wrote:
>
>>US, Western Europe and Canada are First World. East Block (including
>>Italy IIRC) used to be Second World but they're now back to Third World.
>
>Er... right.
>
>I always thought:
>
>Old World:  Europe and the Mediterranean
>
>New World:  The Americas
>
>Third World:  Everywhere else
>
>but nowadays people seem to use 'Third World' to describe any
>developing country.

No, it's got nothing to do with the idea of the "New World," which is
how the Americas have been described since Columbus.  "Third World" is
a more recent idea.  This is a scheme that some academic, whose name I
can't remember at the moment, came up with to describe how he divided
the post-WWII world into various economic blocs.  As I recall it was:

First World:  Industrialized nations (US, Canada, Western Europe).
Second World:  The Communist bloc (Soviet Union and East European
  satellites).
Third World:  Developing nations (for example, Brazil, India).
Fourth World:  Undeveloped nations (for example, Bangladesh).

I guess the original idea was that you had the two powerful economic
blocs, and then these other developing countries which were not
necessarily ideologically committed to either bloc.  All that has
survived popular usage is the idea that the phrase "Third World"
denotes a nation where the standard of living is far below that in the
West.

By analogy, I guess that we could denote the various commercial Unices
as "First World" and Microsoft Windows9x/NT as the "Second World."
Linux is then a Third World system, but one rapidly approaching First
World status.

pspc

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ip forwarding
Date: 28 May 1999 10:47 GMT

On Wed, 26 May 1999 16:36:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am having a lot of problems getting ip forwarding to work with COL
>2.2. I am hoping someone can help. :) Okay, I checked three things. Is

>[root@comm dustin]# ipchains -L
>Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
>Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
>Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

Try:

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to create ISO com
Date: 28 May 1999 19:17 GMT

>On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Tim Underwood wrote:
>
> I have been trying to create a compatible CDROM for linux that supports long
> filenames.  (Testing with CDRW at the moment).
>
> I am creating the ROM on a Win98 PC, and have tried the NTI CD Maker Pro
> 3.1.730 program that came with the unit, as well as Adaptec Easy CD Creator
> Deluxe 3.5b.
>
> I have tried the Joliet format, as well as the ISO 9660.  While 95/98 can
> see long filenames with either format, as soon as I mount it on linux, I get
> 8.3 names.
>
> For the time being, I am using CDRW, as I keep downloading more programs or
> updated programs, and don't really want to burn them as of yet.
>
> Any ideas???

I had some problems burning a CDROM of Linux files because of the
really long filenames and such.  Here is what I did.

I started with
ftp://www.guug.de/pub/members/truemper/cdr/txt/CD-Writing.txt

Using a RedHat 5.2 machine and a Win95 machine with CD burner running
Adaptec Easy CD-Creator Deluxe 3.5b:

On RedHat box, create a tree (e.g. /tmp/cdsource) and put all the
files you want burned into the tree.

then do a: mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage.iso /tmp/cdsource/

This creates an ISO image with rock ridge extensions of the cdsource
tree.  Then ftp the cdimage.iso file to your win95 box with the
burner.

(***IMPORTANT***)
On the win95 box, double click on the cdimage.iso file.  This is
because if you open CD-Creator Deluxe and say file/open/cdimage.iso
things don't work correctly, but if you double click the file and that
causes the application to open, CD-Creator will do the right thing.
Lastly, I had the best luck if I burned the CD using Disc-at-once.  I
think that should be the same as Track-at-once on a data CD, but my
results were better with the Disc-at-once selected.

Hope this helps.  I was able to burn a copy of RedHat 5.2 with all of
the updates onto a single cd using this method.

Regards,

-Stephen Hammond

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.0 questions
Date: 28 May 1999 22:02 GMT

==============FB8C5A386363D0BC01637DFB

I just installed RedHat 6.0, and am having a few problems:
I am running the default X stuff--Gnome and Enlightenment.

First, whenever I launch a gnome-terminal, and several other
applications, they bring me into the directory
/home/cusack/.gnome-desktop
Why?  This is annoying. I want to go to /home/cusack.  I looked, but
can't find a setting anywhere to make it do this.

Second,  programs crash at odd times, and I don't know why.
In particular, in netscape when I am editting a document, and
go to create a link, then hit the OK button, netscape crashes.  Why?
It is netscape 4.51.

Third, Is it possible to put things like wmmon, wmWeather, etc in the
panel in Gnome?
It doesn't seem to work.  It puts them on the desktop instead.  This
would be fine if I could
launch them every time I logged in, but can't figure out how to do that
either.

Lastly, do Gnome and Enlightenment take a lot of memory?  I
used to run RedHat 5.2 with AfterStep with 64M memory, and usually used
about all of it.
Now I have 128M with Gnome and Enlightenment, and am still using about
all of it.

Chuck.
P.S. Send copy of response to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks.

|                Charles A. Cusack                |
|                 Graduate Student                |
|  Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
|         University of Nebraska-Lincoln          |
|                                                 |
|           e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |

==============FB8C5A386363D0BC01637DFB

I just installed RedHat 6.0, and am having a few problems:
looked, but
Why?
panel in Gnome?
This would be fine if I could
that either.
used about all of it.
all of it.

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for ex
Date: 28 May 1999 19:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ( (Gilles Pelletier)) wrote:

>I installed Gnome 6.1 last weekend. Everything went well until the
>menu driven installation refused to install the server (driver?) for
>my Mach32 video card. I then had to go to the prompt.

At the prompt, as root, type 'yast', and you're back in the automatic
installation seat.

>So, I figured out that a beginner would be much better of building his
>system manually. You know, mkdir /dev, /mnt, /cdrom, whatever...

SuSE has 4.5 gig of software and you want to install and configure it
manually?

>Once the kernel is installed, Emacs could be opened with instructions
>in a top window and the prompt or the file to edit at the bottom.

Once the kernel is installed, you need to install Emacs.  'Manually'?

>Instructions could be formatted in HTML so that if you were installing
>a second IDE drive from a CD, you wouldn't have to find your way
>through SCSI installation from ftp. You'd read just what you need.

How does the HTML file know what it is you need?

BTW, unlike other distribution, SuSE comes with and extensive HTML
documentation system.

>And IMHO, the HOWTO are a pain in... the red neck. All I need for
>information is, e.g.  "mtab means mounted tab. Here appears the list
>of mounted devices". That's clear enough to me for the time being.

I agree, but, again, how does the HOWTO author know what you need?

>Autoinstalling Linux is like putting a nice body around a Ferrari's
>mechanics and giving the keys to John Doe saying "You just press the
>gas pedal and it moves forward."

I don't know about you, but if I ever buy a Ferrari (which is
purely hypothetical) I'll be buying a car, ready for use; not a DIY
Ferrari assembly kit.  You are right about the need to know about the
internals, but it's much more convenient to learn about them from a
system that's already set up and running.

>Whereas an expert might save time using autoinstall, it's most
>certainly a waste of time for a beginner. If there's a distribution
>like the one I'm describing here, please advise me.

SuSE 6.1.  You've just been unlucky.  Use their installation support.

--
Reinier Post (satisfied SuSE 6.1 user)

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gvim+Eterm..How To?
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 00:22:23 -0700

I'm trying to use gvim inside of an Eterm window....but
I'm not sure where to start.  I have Eterm and gvim both installed.
Thanks much in advance,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corrupt Superblock
Date: 28 May 1999 14:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A couple of days ago I tried to boot linux and to my dismay I got a kernel
> panic.  After some poking around I realized that I have a corrupt superblock.
> Reinstalling is not a problem (been planning on getting SuSE since 6.1 came
> out anyway) as most of my important data is backed up but there is some data
> that I did not back up.  So I am hoping that someone has a great trick to be
> able to access the drive so that I can get my data off before formatting the
> disk.  If anyone has any ideas please send them on to me.

e2fsck -b 8193

--
Adam C. Emerson                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.calvin.edu/~aemers19/

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape and selfdefined
Date: 28 May 1999 11:47 GMT

Hi there,

I'm trying to define a MIME type for DVI-files under LinuX. However,
when I click on a link the application (xdvi) starts up but doesn't
actually open the file. Is there a standardized parameter for program
calls or does it depend on the program itself ? How do I tell the
application to open the clicked file ?

  TIA
      Bernhard

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Port scanner
Date: 28 May 1999 09:32 GMT

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kerry J. Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Okay, dumb questions and I'm sure I already know the answer.  We have a
| customer who wants to have a static IP address, but we are concerned
| that he would try to run a server on his side and with a simple dial-up
| account, that falls into a different payment bracket.  To make sure that
| he doesn't run a server on his end and stays compliant with the
| agreement, I'd like to know a useful port scanner application out there
| that would check the ports on an IP address. A GUI interface would work
| well, but it doesn't have to be GUI.

What's wrong with just seeing how long he stays connected, and if it
goes over 12 hr/day average, charge for dedicated? Either that, or you
could always put up a firewall which blocks inbound connections to his
IP address (since it *is* static now).

--
Shawn K. Quinn - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Thank you, Microsoft, and please get out of the way."
 -- Richard Stallman

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: awk in vi on Redhat 5.2
Date: 28 May 1999 11:47 GMT

Can someone explain what is failing to happen here?
When I try to edit a DOS file -- ie one with \r\n at the
end of each line -- in vi I do not see the ^Ms at the end
of the line, but I know they are there! This is presumably
a vi issue. However, when I use this command at the
colon prompt:

:%!awk '{sub("\r","");print}'

I expect the file to become a Unix file. But it doesn't. Why?
On Redhat 5.2 this fails but I also work on Slackware 3.4
and it works. There seems to be something about the vi
setup, or am I wrong? Something is clearly not working as
I expect because this works:

awk '{sub("\r","");print}' DOS_file > /tmp/temp.$$
mv /tmp/temp.$$ DOS_file

So what is going on? Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Phil Berry
For Linux training see: http://193.63.48.62:8080

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does this OS exist?
Date: 28 May 1999 13:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The closest that fits the above are DOS (but not 32-bit/protected mode)

DOS, using dpmi, runs 32 bit protected. See www.delorie.com for the gcc
port.

------------------------------

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Tablet for L
Date: 28 May 1999 14:17 GMT

Erik Lins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I would like to use some kind of graphics tablet (on which one can draw
>with a kind of pen and has some button for certain actions) with linux
>(especially GIMP).
I have bought Wacom Intuos tablet for my wife.  She's using Windows, but
since it's running on the same computer, I tried it under Linux.  It works
like a charm.  If you check Wacom's site, you will find a link to the Linux
driver for it.

Mike

From: NEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rpm not working
Date: 28 May 1999 13:17 GMT

sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> How does one install the following RPM:  exmh......src.rpm?  When I use
> rpm -i exmh...., I get a return but nothing else -- no comments, no new
> files, no error message.

man rpm and search for the build and recompile options.

-Tom