From: Dave Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: segmentation fault ?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 02:29:43 GMT

texpire seems to compile ok, but still gives the segmentation fault.
I'll try the leafnode website.

Thanks

Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Re: Is JavaServer Pages alive in Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:17:47 +0800

Thanks, DJ. It helps.     :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:18:23 +0800

Thank you, Channing. This is very useful.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Reconnections
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 03:30:03 GMT

I use DSL and it disconnects periodically, so I wrote a script to check
the connection and rerun the start scripts if no connection exists.  The
problem is that it does always use ppp0, sometimes ppp1 , ppp2 etc.  How
can I get it to always use ppp0.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I am
not sure what other info to give, but if you need more please let me know.

From: Madhusudan Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Problems with installing KDE on Solaris.
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 23:40:21 -0400

I am trying to install KDE on Solaris. I tried to install qt-1.44, but I
get the following error after a "make solaris-cc-shared" and make :

See bottom of the posting.

Please tell me what is going wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Madhusudan Singh.

latch% make
cd src/moc; make
CC -c -I/afs/engin.umich.edu/u/c/h/chhabra/kde/qt/include  -pto -O2  -o
mocgen.o mocgen.cpp
"/afs/engin.umich.edu/u/c/h/chhabra/kde/qt/include/qglobal.h", line 300:
Error: A declaration does not specify a tag or an identifier.
"/afs/engin.umich.edu/u/c/h/chhabra/kde/qt/include/qglobal.h", line 300:
Error: Use ";" to terminate declarations.
"/afs/engin.umich.edu/u/c/h/chhabra/kde/qt/include/qglobal.h", line 300:
Error: A declaration does not specify a tag or an identifier.
"moc.y", line 816: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 834: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 844: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 865: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 869: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 1139: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to moc_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 1266: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
initialization.
"moc.y", line 1268: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
initialization.
"moc.y", line 1269: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
initialization.
"moc.y", line 1270: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
initialization.
"moc.y", line 1281: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s1 in call to moc_err(char*, char*).
"moc.y", line 1287: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s1 in call to moc_err(char*, char*).
"moc.y", line 1291: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s in call to moc_err(char*).
"moc.y", line 1368: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument functype in call to generateFuncs(FuncList*, char*, int).
"moc.y", line 1373: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument functype in call to generateFuncs(FuncList*, char*, int).
"moc.y", line 1544: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s in call to moc_err(char*).
"y.tab.c", line 1727: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to yyerror(char*).
"moc.y", line 262: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 264: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 265: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 266: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 273: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 291: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 292: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 304: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 305: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 306: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 307: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 308: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 309: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 310: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 311: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 312: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 326: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 327: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 352: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to moc_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 362: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to moc_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 372: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument right in call to Argument::Argument(char*, char*).
"moc.y", line 377: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument right in call to Argument::Argument(char*, char*).
"moc.y", line 392: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 412: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 437: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 454: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 470: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 479: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 480: Warning: String literal converted to char* in
assignment.
"moc.y", line 542: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s in call to moc_err(char*).
"moc.y", line 553: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to moc_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 558: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument s in call to moc_err(char*).
"moc.y", line 569: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to moc_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 686: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 691: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 728: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 731: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"moc.y", line 734: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to func_warn(char*).
"y.tab.c", line 2506: Warning: String literal converted to char* in formal
argument msg in call to yyerror(char*).
3 Error(s) and 56 Warning(s) detected.
*** Error code 3
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `mocgen.o'
Current working directory
/afs/engin.umich.edu/u/c/h/chhabra/kde/qt/src/moc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `moc'
latch%

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Problems with installing KDE on Solaris.
Date: 7 May 2000 21:00:03 -0700

Madhusudan Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to install KDE on Solaris. I tried to install qt-1.44, but I
>get the following error after a "make solaris-cc-shared" and make :
>
>See bottom of the posting.
>
>Please tell me what is going wrong. Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Madhusudan Singh.

This might sound strange, but did you think to ask on a slolaris
ng?  last I heard this was still comp.os.LINUX.misc.

--
dowe                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: computer viruses on LINUX
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 03:55:42 GMT

On Mon, 08 May 2000 02:57:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> The traditional "boot-sector virus" is probably close to impossible to
>> implement for Linux, but trojan horses are still possible.
>
>But unlikely to do any damage outside the users own home directory (and
>maybe /temp).

/tmp, y'mean? :>

Recently, I believe it was on SlashDot, there was a thread about the release
of the ILOVEYOU worm. Somebody mentioned, naturally, Linux. They mentioned
that the only harm it could do is to the (l)user's home directory. The counter
point was that the home directory contained the 'important' data/files, which
would be more difficult to restore than system files.

A thought just occurred to me. The school network I administer has over 600
students and ~100 teachers. Each and every one of them has their very own
home directory. Now, if that were a *NIX system and one of those users were
to execute a malicious worm of sorts, that single (l)user's files would be
corrupted. The report cards, tests, assignments, essays, documents, pictures,
etc.. of all other teachers and students would be left alone.

Unfortunately, it's an NT system, therefore there's really no guarantee as
to what could (would) happen were a trojan of the right elk hit it.

Needless to say, I've got a floppy disk I carry with me for my important
files.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 03:59:09 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Peter Buelow would say:
>Interesting question, but really, Linux isn't like windows and therefore, virii are
>different here. Mostly, it is a question of administration. If you are a good admin,
>who takes some effort securing the system, then virii are a moot point as they would
>at best be restricted to a user account and therefore will only afflict something
>that user can afflict. If you are not a good admin or lazy, then the picture becomes
>more clouded as to what could happen.

Note that you seem to have some form of configuration problem with your
news client; it isn't conforming to the GNKSA requirement that the news
client "try to respect 80 character line conventions."

You may wish to fix that.

>Multi user systems like the *nix systems and (blech) NT/2000 are generally less
>susciptible to virii and more susceptible to DoS type problems and trojans looking
>for access to other systems. This stems from the nature of attack points. Win98 is
>more prone to everyday virii as it allows access to everything to whoever happens to
>be plotzing around with some CPU time such as your cousin Ted, someone with a love
>problem, or Joe Hacker. References are too abundant on the web to list here, do a
>quick search on 2600.com, securityfocus.com, or even slashdot.org and
>32bitsonline.com. There is a lot of info to sort through though. Good luck.

This isn't quite the appropriate way to regard the susceptibility
to viruses.

The critical thing about viruses is that they require a means of
transmission.

Looking at the set of systems that have traditionally been susceptible
to viruses, they have the common factor that they have only a single
"user," that being, essentially, a "root" or "super" user.

This was true for MS-DOS, for CP/M, for the Apple ][, Atari 800,
Commodore 64, MacOS, and, most recently, Windows 3.x and Windows 9x.

The point here is all of these systems had no effective barrier between
different users.

Moreover, there's a "deeper" connection; in "secure" systems, there
tends to be a barrier enforced between "user mode" code and "supervisor
mode" code.

In Multics, the set of such "modes" represented disjoint sets that were
termed as "rings."  The most inner ring being the "deep insides of the
kernel," and the most outer ring representing the "space for highly
unprivileged users."  The hardware would enforce that processes running
in the outer rings could not touch things belonging to the inner rings.

UNIX simplifies this to having two rings: "Kernel" space, and "user"
space.

Those "older" systems had only the single "kernel" ring, thus meaning
that any process having access to the system had access to the _WHOLE_
system.

When everything runs in the "kernel" ring, it is _trivial_ for a program
that wants-to-be-a-virus to do whatever it wishes to introduce itself
into the system.  As a result, all those systems were exceedingly "fragile"
when presented with attackers wishing to take control.

In contrast, when you add the extra ring, and have only OS kernel activity
take place in "Ring 0," it becomes _considerably_ more difficult for
nefarious software to do nefarious things.  The would-be virus has a
smaller part of the computer to work with in finding itself a "home."

The hardware help helps to make the system more secure.  It helps Linux.
It is similarly helpful for other systems that support such use of
multiple rings.  Windows NT does better than Windows 9x; it is rather
more securable...
--
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: ide-scsi CD-R Problem With Newest Kernels (.14 & .15) - write_g1?!?!?!?
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 21:01:22 -0700

Hi Douglas:

Douglas E. Mitton wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have done several searches for this issue, there seem to be a lot of
>people experiencing it BUT I have not been able to find a solution
>yet.

>In kernels V2.2.14 and .15 I get random cdrecord failures such as:
>(Sorry, it wraps a little.)

>Starting new track at sector: 0
>Track 01: 175 of 311 MB written (fifo 100%).cdrecord: Input/output
>error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
>CDB:  2A 00 00 01 5E C0 00 00 10 00
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>Sense Bytes: F1 00 05 00 01 5E C0 0C 00 00 00 00 10 02 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, deferred error, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x10 Qual 0x02 (id crc or ecc error) [No matching
>qualifier] Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 89792 (valid)
>cmd finished after 3.168s timeout 40s

>write track data: error after 183894016 bytes
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>Writing  time:  310.268s
>Fixating...
>Fixating time:   76.473s
>cdrecord: fifo had 5740 puts and 5613 gets.
>cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 5206 times full, min fill was
>95%.

I run "Slackware 7.0" "Linux kernel 2.2.14" with "cdrecord 1.8" and burn
happily all day on an aging "HP CD-Writer+ 7100 - firmware 2.02 X2" IDE
burner.

Here is what I recommend;

Go to the cdrecord site and download the latest from Joerg Schilling (very
wise and able programmer).

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/
cdrecord.html

Download version "cdrecord-1.8.1 final", build and install.

That should get you going no problem.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: File removal
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 04:11:29 GMT

How does one remove a special file that does not remove with rm?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: File removal
Date: 7 May 2000 21:32:32 -0700

On Mon, 08 May 2000 04:11:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How does one remove a special file that does not remove with rm?

Is this supposed to be a koan?

I don't believe there is such a thing. In future be more verbose.

--
dowe                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP Reconnections
Date: 8 May 2000 04:23:50 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I use DSL and it disconnects periodically, so I wrote a script to check
>the connection and rerun the start scripts if no connection exists.  The
>problem is that it does always use ppp0, sometimes ppp1 , ppp2 etc.  How
>can I get it to always use ppp0.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I am
>not sure what other info to give, but if you need more please let me know.

Cannot use ppp0 if ppp0 is in use (eg from your old connection which had
not been cleaned up yet.)
Try the persist option instead.
man pppd

------------------------------

From: David Megnin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: How do you mount a second CDROM (CDRW) drive?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 21:37:23 -0700

  I've just installed a SCSI CDRW drive and can't figure out how to mount it.

        It's a Yamaha 8424 on an Adaptec AHA 2940UW controller.  The drive ID
is 3.  I already have an ATAPI CD-ROM mounted as /mnt/cdrom.

        I've tried adding a second line to the /etc/fstab file like:
/dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660   ro,user,noauto 0 0
just a guess more than anything else.

        My system is running Redhat 6.2, kernel 2.1.14-50
        I've searched HOW-TO's and manuals to no avail.  Thanks for any help
you could give a newbie.

Thanks,
David Megnin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 08 May 2000 00:31:58 EDT

On Mon, 08 May 2000 04:11:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<R7rR4.1582$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>How does one remove a special file that does not remove with rm?

Mu.  :-}

...no, really.  *Which* "special file" were you trying to remove?  The
device files in /dev can easily be removed with rm.  Files in /proc are
generated on the fly by the kernel, and can't/shouldn't be removed with a
simple rm--that /proc/kcore file isn't really taking up 64M of disk space.

OTOH, if you have a file that is showing very weird permission bits, has a
strange size, cannot be removed with rm when you are root, and such, then
it's time to pull out the big guns:

0:  man chattr and make sure this file doesn't have the "immutable"
attribute set.
1:  go to single user mode
2:  fsck the partition the weird file is on
3:  run debugfs and be very very careful!

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Strock)
Subject: EEpro100 with 2.2.14 kernel isn't detected?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 04:47:39 GMT

I downloaded and built a 2.2.14 kernel (replacing the standard kernel shipped
with RH 6.0).  I applied one patch from John Hardin so that I could use my
laptop to connect to my pptp server through the Linux box (from an NT client
laptop).

Well, when I compiled the kernel, I select the EEPro and the 3c90x (my second
NIC).  Everything compiled, no errors. When I reboot and go into the newly
built kernel, it doesn't detect at eth0 is a EEPro.  It thinks that the 3c90x
card is eth0 and that there is no eth1.  Everything still works great if I
reboot into the RH 6.0 kernel (which is 2.2.5-15, I believe).

Where did I go wrong?  Anyone have any helpful guidance?

Email replies appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Strock

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQs - can someone give the definitive answer please?
Date: 07 May 2000 21:04:28 -0700

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do I split a Linux partition to install Win95?
Date: 7 May 2000 21:15:16 -0700

I installed Linux on a new 8GB HD and now I need a few of my old Windows apps.
I did not create a FAT32 partition on the HD at the time of my Linux (Red Hat
6.1) installation.  How do I create a FAT32 partition for Win95?  I ran fdisk,
but did not see any obvious way to create a new partition.  Choosing the n
option tells me that there is no space for creating a new partition.  On a side
note why can I not run fdisk from bash?  I had to use csh.

If I have to reformat the whole drive and start from scratch then I'll do that,
but would rather not.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: configuration for iomega zip 100M parallel port drive
From: kwl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 22:00:12 -0700

Thanks for the info

However, I have checked my disk and I couldn't locate the file/
folder 'faq' or 'ZIP - HOWTO' under the directory /usr/doc.

Is there anywhere else where I can locate and open this file?

Many thanks!
In article <8f4tuh$h9a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>kwl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I wonder if someone can help and advise how to configure the
>: Iomega Zip 100M parallel port drive.  Is there any file/driver
>: to be installed?  Many thanks!
>
>Read the ZIP-HOWTO. It's on your disk, under /usr/doc/faq,
probably.

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: How do you mount a second CDROM (CDRW) drive?
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 22:02:44 -0700

Hi David:

David Megnin wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've just installed a SCSI CDRW drive and can't figure out how
>to mount it.

>It's a Yamaha 8424 on an Adaptec AHA 2940UW controller.  The
>drive ID is 3.  I already have an ATAPI CD-ROM mounted as
>/mnt/cdrom.

>I've tried adding a second line to the /etc/fstab file like:
>/dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660   ro,user,noauto 0 0
>just a guess more than anything else.

>My system is running Redhat 6.2, kernel 2.1.14-50
>I've searched HOW-TO's and manuals to no avail.
>Thanks for any help you could give a newbie.

Try this:

dmesg | grep scsi <enter>

Let us know what it says.

Best regards,