Linux-Misc Digest #397, Volume #21               Sat, 14 Aug 99 06:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Re: I'm going mad!!!! over a Microcom Deskporte 28.8P External Modem (Gary Momarison)
  Linux + windows filesystems ("The Wizard")
  Re: route problem: Can't add gateway address ("mark")
  Re: MP3 with Linux (Alen Hopek)
  Re: Cd Recording with Linux (Lew Pitcher)
  a beginners question: How do I list directories separated from files?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linx vs hurd (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Linux and the Dung Beatles (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Internet access with ASDL (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Please Help me help myself. (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Text Editor (Richard Steiner)
  Re: How to change emacs background and foreground colors? (Tobias Anderberg)
  Re: Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd' ("PsychoTron")
  Help! Navigator in Linux... (L'acheteur)
  Linux security update - newbie questions ("help")
  Re: how to setup mount at startup? (W.G. Unruh)
  Re: pppd connection & modem modules query (W.G. Unruh)
  Re: Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd' (W.G. Unruh)
  Re: kernel-2.2.11 (Robin Becker)
  kppp freezed my apps!!!! (L'acheteur)

Subject: Re: I'm going mad!!!! over a Microcom Deskporte 28.8P External Modem
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Aug 1999 22:54:58 -0700

"dude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[ sad tale and cry for help snipped ]

Been there; done that, as they say.  It can be tough, even for those
that know a lot more than you seem to about the hardware and software.
It's kind of strange.  This is one of the simplest subsystems in a
computer, but one that gives more than its fair share of problems.
Probably because it is all very old technology (and poorly or at least
too-simply designed by today's standards).

One of the problems is that there is no simple, reliable way to probe
the ports for a modem safely. (You might have your house self-destruct
switch hooked to one of the ports.)

You probably should devote your efforts to getting your modem to
return "OK" within the "minicom" program's window after you enter
(with the enter key) "ATZ" in that window.  You have to learn to
configure the program using its funky menu system.  (You might be
able to use "seyon" or some other terminal emulator too.)

Ensure that you have no "lock" file for the modem under /var/lock/.

Ensure that you have a good cable.  Try the cable & modem on another
computer and/or OS.  Borrow a cable.  Use a meter/tester.

Ensure that your /dev/modem is pointing to the correct /dev/ttyS# .
Use "echo ATZ >/dev/ttyS0", etc. and look for flicker in modem lights.

Look in /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports for clues.

The "stty" program can be useful.  "stty -a </dev/modem".

The "statserial" program might help.

Look for more info at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/modems.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: "The Wizard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux + windows filesystems
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:36:23 -0400

I am accessing my windows Fat32 partition in linux. The strange problem is
that after  I open adn change any file from the windows filesystem (say a
text document),  that file becomes "read only" in windows.

Any ideas why this is happening and how it can be fixed?

Thanks.

Humayun

------------------------------

From: "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: route problem: Can't add gateway address
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:43:47 -0500

Your problem may very likely be this simple:

instead of just 'route', run 'route -n', which prevents the translation of
numeric addresses to names.  I have a box that exhibits the same symptoms
you describe if I just run 'route' (hangs forever, until ^C), but shows
everything perfectly with 'route -n'.

news:7ovna3$ku8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Alen Hopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MP3 with Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:48:18 +0200

Hello Benjamin ...

>   Does anybody know a MP3- Player for Linux which can handle the
>playlists of the Winamp 2.20 correctly?

Try this Site: www.xmms.org

Looks and Feels like Winamp. Support Skins from WInamp and has many
Plugins. Try it ... You like it ...

Alen Hopek

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cd Recording with Linux
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:02:46 -0400

Benjamin Jungbluth wrote:

> Hi!
>    Does anybody know where to get a good program to burn cd's. Maybe
> something like WinOnCD?
>
> Bye
>    Benjamin Jungbluth

cdparanoia      (command line audio ripper)
cdrecorder      (command line burner)
cdrtoaster      (X gui front-end to cdrecorder)
cdar            (command line 'tar'like tool, front end to cdrecorder)

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: a beginners question: How do I list directories separated from files?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 07:45:15 GMT

Hi there,

I am a LINUX beginner.

How do I accomplish the following functions, may it be with ls or any
other command?

1.) List the entries of a directory - just like ls does - but only
those entries which are directories?

2.) List the entries of a directory - just like ls does - but sorted,
so that all directories are listed first and then all files.

Thank you!

Andy Merkens

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: linx vs hurd
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:51:44 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake unto us, saying:

>From what I understand, the microkernel architecture scales better to
>multiprocessor systems.

Lots of things work in theory.  :-)  We'll probably learn a lot more
about whether or not this is true as the Hurd matures.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Linux and the Dung Beatles
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:29:31 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Ewoud Booyse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>You know, people keep talking about Linux all day as if it was something
>worth talking about.

Yes.  I use it on two boxes here, and it has saved me $$, made my life
at home more flexible, and generally been fun to learn and use.

Shouldn't life be fun once in a while?  :-)

>I think you people are wasting your time since Microsoft surely has
>some plan of getting rid of Linux.

Of course they do...  But how will they do it when both the source and
the compilers needed to compile it are both freely out there?

Wouldn't FreeBSD simply take its place?  <grin>

I think they'd have to completely dismantle the internet in order to
accomplish that goal.  Anything short of that, and some new variant of
one free OS or another would continue to pop up in various places.

I think free operating system software is a natural development in this
particular environment.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS
      + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
              I am the terror that posts in the night...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Internet access with ASDL
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:26:03 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Robert J. Schweikert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>My ISP may offer ASDL access in the near future, anyone using ASDL out
>there?

Sure.  :-)

>Does it work with Linux?

My setup certainly does.  It just requires that Linux support a 10BaseT
ethernet card and that I configure a gateway IP address (I'm using one
of USWest's Cisco 675's in bridging mode with a static IP).

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS
      + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
                 Little things affect little minds.  :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Please Help me help myself.
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:55:13 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Hi.

Hello!  :-)

>The Questions:
>How do I enable "scroll-back" in a normal tty terminal?

Depends on the context.  For consoles on the Linux box, Shift+PgUP and
Shift+PgDn sometimes let you get at some scroll-back buffer, but that
may depend on several factors.

>Is there a text terminal version of the Unix "monitor" utility to display
>graphs of CPU utilization?

Text?  Ugh.  I use top, but that really doesn't do "graphs" (at least
in Linux -- the OS/2 port does bar graphs).

>How do I add the tty number to a user's prompt?

In bash, I do it the cheesy way like this:

case `tty` in
    /dev/tty1 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-1 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    /dev/tty2 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-2 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    /dev/tty3 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-3 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    /dev/tty4 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-4 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    /dev/tty5 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-5 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    /dev/tty6 )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5-6 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
    * )
        PS1="\[\033[1;32;40m\][RH5 \h:\u]:\w\$\[\033[0;37;40m\] " ;;
esac

The embedded ANSI commands are to make the prompts a nice pretty green.
I tend to color-code my systems so I know where I am.  :-)

>Can I re-browse my .bashrc file without logging out and back in?

Re-browse?  You mean reinitialize (and apply with changes)?  Sure.  Do
this:

  source ~/.bashrc

>How-come I can boot from the boot.IMG disk for setup and add new stuff
>to the system without ever entering a password?

Because you're bypassing your operating system.  Physical security is
also a very important thing to consider.

>In any case I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5.  Installing it was
>too easy.  I didn't learn anything.  You can only learn when you struggle
>with things.

Hehehe.  :-)

>Please help me help myself by telling me where i will find the answers
>to my questions.  If you don't think my specific questions are answered
>anywhere, do please tell me how to do these things.

Use DejaNews to find the answers to the questions I (and others) didn't
answer.  Chances are they've been answered before somewhere on Usenet
in the past five years.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS
      + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
           Dead Puppies aren't much fun...No, no, no...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Text Editor
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:03:49 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Suddn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I telnet into my Linux server from a windows box.  I need to work with text
>files (C++ Source) but I hate the VI editor.  Is there any editors that are,
>well, more user friendly that will work?

I tend to use either NEdit

  http://fnpspa.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html

or FTE.

  http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/fte/

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS
      + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
                  * SLMR 2.0 #694 * Just kidding!!!  :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Anderberg)
Subject: Re: How to change emacs background and foreground colors?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:05:49 +0200

>> I tried this, and still no luck.
>> I changed my .Xdefaults several times.  I tried"
>>
>> emacs*Background: white
>>
>Did you restart X after you modified your .Xdefaults file?  You need to
>exit out of X and restart to enable the new settings.

No, you don't!

--
tobias

------------------------------

From: "PsychoTron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.dev.newbie
Subject: Re: Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd'
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:31:44 -0400

Why write a script file?  KDE makes an auto-dialer and PPP starter for
Internet connections.

You could always use linuxconf to connect also.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L'acheteur)
Subject: Help! Navigator in Linux...
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:30:54 GMT

I had just installed Redhat 6.0 in my m/c and i had also configure my
modem wth kppp. I could dial up to my ISP without any problems, BUT
when i configure the proxy server in the navigator preferences it says
that it can't find my proxy address. I m sure the proxy addres is
correct cos i using the proxy address in my NT. Now, i would like to
know is there anything that i had missed for the configuration of
modem?? Thank in advance.

------------------------------

From: "help" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux security update - newbie questions
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 06:26:52 GMT

>From www.linux-mandrake.com :

>SECURITY UPDATE: kernel 2.2.9
>2.2.x kernel are all affected by a networking security bug. Please do not
use your machine in a network >environment until you update with our new
kernel.
>Command line for upgrading:

>rpm -ivh kernel-2.2.9-27mdk.i586.rpm

>Important note: please don't forget to modify /etc/lilo.conf after
upgrading, and re-run /sbin/lilo.

Complete Newbie Questions:
    What do I modify in /etc/lilo.conf?
    Re-run /sbin/lilo = rebooting computer?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.G. Unruh)
Subject: Re: how to setup mount at startup?
Date: 14 Aug 99 09:56:48 GMT

"kawing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>1. The system never mount cdrom and floppy drive automatically and
>successfully at startup. So I need to umount and then mount both of them
>manually everytime. So what file should I edit so that the system will do
>that at startup?

?? Usually at bot up there is no floppy  in th efloppy drive and no cdrom in
the cdrom drive. So why would you wnat to mount them then? (Yes, it would be nice if
Linux automnatically recognized that a floppy was inserted and
automatically mounted it and unmounted it when you removed the floppy.
Maybe I just do not know how to do this)

>2. I cannot setup my Sound Blaster 16 compatible sound card. I installed
>RedHat 5.2 on the same machine before and it just work perfectly.  But when
>I remove the comment on the /etc/conf.modules on the sb.o part and reboot
>the machine and check using lsmodule, I found that the sb.o is never loaded.
>Even I type:
>#/sbin/modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=5 dma16=1 (which are all my correct
>settings about that hardware)
>I still cannot get the sb.o to be loaded. So what should I do to load sb.o
>and make my sound card works?

sndconfig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.G. Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: pppd connection & modem modules query
Date: 14 Aug 99 10:01:06 GMT

Bamburger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>After many attempts I have finally got both my ISP connections up &
>running thru netcfg. I use this program to activate either ppp1 or ppp0,
>depending on which ISP I intend to use. However I can only do this while
>logged in as root. Is there any easy way to do this while not logged in

chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/sbin/chat
chmod a+s /usr/sbin/pppd
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS?
                    ^ insert your modem port number or just leave like this

>as root - I have tried "ifup ppp0" but it reports that I dont have
>permission even though everything has complete rx access. Is it the ppp
>daemon itself that requires change?

>Also the var/log/messages file reports an inability to load numerous
>compress modules:

>modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
>modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
>modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
>modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26

put into /etc/conf.modules
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate     # From original RFC draft
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate     # Final standard per ppp-2.3.4

>Presumably these are to do with software compression (?)

Yes, although with modem hardware compression this is not very useful anymore.

>I have not been able to locate any files with similar names anywhere &
>it may be that this accounts for the relative slowness of the
>connections.

No.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.G. Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.dev.newbie
Date: 14 Aug 99 10:05:57 GMT

"PsychoTron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Why write a script file?  KDE makes an auto-dialer and PPP starter for
>Internet connections.

Because they make assumptions about how the connection should be maade and are
difficult to
debug if they do not work

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel-2.2.11
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:10:51 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Julius Longauer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Robin Becker wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Julius Longauer
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>> >
>> >[...]
>> >
>> >The option determines the maximal physical memory supported by the
>> >kernel.
>> >You need 2G only if you have > 1GB RAM and I don't think this is the
>> >case ;-)
>> >
>> >Julius
>> so it was unset and when i looked there were onlyt two values 2 & 4 I
>> think. probably makes sense to make it unset?
>> --
>> Robin Becker
>
>No, there are three available options: CONFIG_1GB, CONFIG_2GB and
>CONFIG_3GB. One of them _must_ be set, otherwise PAGE_OFFSET_RAW
>remains undeclared and compiling of the kernel fails. Obviously
>there is no default value.
>
>Julius
thanks for clearing that up! I have 64Mb so any will do. Why can't we
detect this stuff?
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L'acheteur)
Subject: kppp freezed my apps!!!!
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:08:07 GMT

My system can sucessfully dial up to my ISP via kppp. However, after
the connection is made i am not able to run any applications!!! I know
that RH is there as the minute minder in the dial up indicator shows
it. I wanted to run Netscape but couldn't, i wanted to run mail client
but couldn't...BTW i  m using Gnome as the windows manager...any idea
of what's wrong?? Thank you.

Beginner