From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:01:05 -0700

John Hasler wrote:

> blowfish writes:
> > So. The money is still not free. The money probably came from tax payers
> > in Finland. No?
>
> No.  It did not come from any taxpayers anywhere (except in the sense that
> the people it came from undoubtedly pay taxes).

So.  Where did the money that was paid to you by the Finnish government
came from!!!???

Almost all government get their income from tax collection. Whether you
like it nor not.

You just keep denying the fact that somebody (the Finnish people who pay
taxes.) had got to pay the money to somebody else (in the case, the
Finnish government), so the money could be funneled to you because of
your contribution to the GNU-GPL project through Debian.

But didn't you also have said that the government should be separated
from the "free market?"

Then, Why do you have no objection to the involvement of the Finnish
government getting involved!?  Is it because now you're benefiting from
the government involvement directly!!!??? :-0

Isn't that you're living by a double standards? ;-)

> > What about the ideas of free as in speech, and free as in beer, that you
> > guys are so into promoting!?
>
> We are "promoting" free as in speech.  We are not promoting free as in
> beer.
>
> > Everything must be free. Right?
>
> Wrong.
>
> > Then, why you guys are taking the money?
>
> We _like_ money.  It pays the bills.

So. What's wrong with propierty software trying to get the maximum
amount of returns as possible?

You, and those believe in GNU-GPL, and those who violated the copyrights
law, to make unauthorised copies of copyrighted works, are the only ones
that are allowed to make money. Right!?

> > Why not donnate the money to some charitable causes?
>
> I always donate a few bucks to the FSF when I order a CD, but that's all I
> can afford.

I always buy the "official" CD/DVD,T-Shirts, even I always download them
first. Linux, *BSD, Because I'm impatient.
I've a pile of CDs here, all dated back to old Slackware dated back to
1994 or so.
> > what is?
>
> What Linux distribution you use.  The Debian Free Software Guidelines are
> the generally accepted definition of free software.

I use SuSE distro for Linux, because of its higher quality, and less
problem (99% problem free. I can say.) Rock steady, plenty of apps that
works right out of the box, also OpenBSD and FreeBSD at home, plus Sun
Sparc Solaris and Mac, SGI,  as well as SuSE-Linux, *BSD at work. No
Windoz at all. 100% M$ free here. No dual boot, no Samba, no Wine. :-)

So. Please try to spare me the Windoz comparision. I agree with you on
that count 100%. :-)

--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer
user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture: Part-1.)
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...
  (c)Copyrighted by Alex / blowfish. 2000.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:02:59 -0700

kristian ragndahl wrote:

>     b> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>     >> John Hasler isn't "like" a farmer.  He _is_ one, outright.
>     >>
>     b> Yes, I found out from his reply. Nothing wrong with that. I
>     b> enjoy outdoor life very much too.  I fly fish for rainbow
>     b> trouts and steelheads in rapid waters, whenever I get the
>     b> chance to get out of the big city.
>
>     Hmm, i thought you were more into trolling.
>     BTW, you've really picked a suitable nickname...

No. I don't troll. I'm the fish. Remember? ;-)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:17:53 -0700

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> You certainly have problems with reading comprehension...
> >
> >No. I can comprehend just fine.
> >
> >But just a major disagreement, and having a major different point of
> >view from geeks.
>
> The point is that the gain of $25K _was_ indirect.  Debian was, in no
> way, a "middleman."  You seem somehow focused on Debian being a
> "middleman" which is utterly incorrect.
>
> >> The way I see it (might be wrong) is that he contributed software to debian,
> >> and as a result got a job elsewhere by someone who saw his software in
> >> debian and was impressed by it... Getting software accepted into the
> >> opensource community is an excellent thing to put on your CV.
> >>
> >> Nothing wrong with that, and certainly nothing at all to do with debian.
> >> It might just as well have been put up on  freshmeat and been accepted into
> >> any or all the distros that way.
>
> >No. I'm not interested into contributing to the GNU-GPL at all. As I
> >don't even believe in the GNU-GPL lisence.
>
> That's irrelevant to the issue that John Hasler received $25K as a result
> of a contribution of software.

Yes. But that $25k would not be materialised without the "indirect"
involvment of Debian.

I believe that's what Mr. Hasler said.

> It is _quite_ relevant to the fact that _YOU_ didn't get a similar $25K,
> and will have no opportunity to receive any of the benefits that can
> accrue from contributing to the body of GPLed software.  You may choose
> to discount the potential for benefits, and thereby "disbelieve" in the
> "GNU-GPL lisence."

Of course I never get a single penny from the GPLed software, and I
don't expect to, because I have never contribute, or coded anything for
them.  Why should I get pay if I have never done anything, by
contribution, or under hired contract from them?

> The issue _was_ quite relevant to John Hasler, as he could have received
> his "windfall" without there being any involvement of Debian whatsoever.

Sure. But in this case, as Mr. Hasler have indicated in one of his post,
that the money was a result of his contribution *through* Debian to the
GNU-GPL organisation.

And if Debian can make tons of money. Hey. That's even better. Not just
for Debian, but for the *whole* opensource community at large. Because
then, all the suits and bean-counters will believe opensource software
can be profitable too, and will pump some all mighty dollars into the
community.

Is that a bad deal at all? I think not. :-)

I've never said anything wrong to make a profit. In fact. I believe
everybody should make money from their own creation. And the copyrights
law is a good way to protect that income from being riped off.

And $25k is *hardly* can be consider as "windfall." ;-)

> It's starting to look like you need to be "Plonked."

Plonked !! Plonk! Plonk!!

Are you satisfy, happy now? :P

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:27:02 -0700

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
>
> > It's starting to look like you [alex/blowfish] need to be "Plonked."
>
> but first let's cross post him to alt.fan.warlord!

Oh. Wow!!!

Now I've turned from a fish to a warlord! :-|

How do you want me to dress? Like a Viking? Ghingis Khan? Richard the
Lion Heart? Henry VIII?
Shogun? Napoleon? Aldolf? Alexander the Great? Saint Joan of Arc? Rambo?

Tell me! Tell me quick! I need to go get my costumes. :P

From: Peter Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to find out if you modem is type 2 fax?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:30:37 +1000

Hi folks, I need to setup a fax server on my linux box (that is now
doing all my connection to the outside world).

I understand they Hylafax is probably the way to go, but that it only
works on a type 2 modem.  How do I tell?

BTW, am I going to get into trouble having this running as well as
pppd on demand dialling?

ta

Peter
Peter Nunn
DownUnder

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:32:07 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
>
> > Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>
> > >So. They have to spend all the money. One way or the other.
> > >(I'm not talking about small business here. I'm talking about those that
> > >get tens of million of dollar, or more for IT budget every year.)
> >
> > If departments save money on one thing, that can allow them to spend
> > _more_ on other things.  If they shovel less money into the pockets of
> > Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM, for license fees, this can let them spend
> > that money on _SOMETHING ELSE_.
> >
> > The principle might be called the "Law of Conservation of Spending,"
> > which means that "If you find yourself under budget due to something
> > costing less than expected, that provides the necessity to spend _more_
> > on something else."
>
> Actually, the Fishpot is somewhat correct about this, albeit probably
> through no fault of his own here.  Departments don't simply get a
> budget, they get individual line items, and pretty much have to hit
> budget on every one of those line items or watch next year's
> allocation plummet.
>
> I worked for one major supercomputer vendor some years back, and a
> customer called me to ask whether a $100K front end to a $10M system
> should be configured with a really trashy disk drive and seriously
> insufficient memory vs. a merely trashy drive and woefully
> insufficient memory.  When I noted that the front end should be
> configured with sufficient memory and a good drive, he explained that
> they had a big pot of money for purchase of the supercomputer and a
> much smaller pot for the front end system.
>
> So yes, a department with an IT budget of $1M for software may well
> feel compelled to buy more expensive software than they need just to
> hit their budget.  That doesn't mean that every department operates
> under those constraints, but that sort of nonsense does happen.

Danke. Thank you. Gracias. Dor Mor. Merci. Well said.
 :-)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:35:02 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But with many, if not most major corperations. If they do not spend all
> > the money in the budget, then, they'll get less money for their
> > department on the next round of budgeting.
>
> > So. They have to spend all the money. One way or the other.
> > (I'm not talking about small business here. I'm talking about those that
> > get tens of million of dollar, or more for IT budget every year.)
>
> But still, it's a very rare occurrance that departments run UNDER budget.
> Saving money on software would release that money for a few home comforts or
> whatever, like an office redecoration/refit, hardware upgrades, extra staff
> traning and incentives, etc...

I've seen this happened before in real life. Even after hardware
upgrade, new office furniture and a new paint job on the wall.

> Or don't these managers have an imagination?

I guess not.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:42:05 -0700

phil hunt wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:52:57 -0700, blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >But with many, if not most major corperations. If they do not spend all
> >the money in the budget, then, they'll get less money for their
> >department on the next round of budgeting.
>
> Stop trying to wriggle out, you stupid, offensive, wilfully ignorant troll.

Yes. I am stupid, offensive (but I'm fair, an equal opportunity
offender. ;-))
wilfully ignorant, and a lot more. You forgot to call me a dumb ass! How
could you forget that? Yike! Shame on you.

But troll?  No. I'm the fish. Hehe. :P

> You were wrong. Admit it.
No. It's just a matter of opinion. Where you're looking from. Your
personal point of view and believe.

> *PLONK*

Plonked! Plonked!

Help! Help! Call the ambulance. I've been plonked! :P

The horror... The horror... The horror...

Plonks copied/acknowledged. (via scp. So nobody can spoof it. ;-))

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:43:39 -0700

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> >> Does it? I think that's what usually called "Free Trade".
> >> "Free Market" means letting the interaction between people
> >> determine the price of goods.
> >>
> > It also means nothing to stop the seller to get the maximum amount of
> > profits they want, as long as the market can bears it.
> Which is exactly what I said, only using slightly more
> loaded words :-)

 ;-)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:47:55 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> > > Does it? I think that's what usually called "Free Trade".
> > > "Free Market" means letting the interaction between people
> > > determine the price of goods.
> > >
> > It also means nothing to stop the seller to get the maximum amount of
> > profits they want, as long as the market can bears it.
>
> And nothing to stop other sellers from sniffing profit, jumping in,
> and undercutting the first seller.

Correcto. But, then there's the legal issue of the origine of the
merchandise.  Is it the real, authorised copies, or are those
counterfieted copies?
;-)

Give me a good, internationally legally acceptable reason why
counterfeits should be allowed.

From: "Asquith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Flash Memory in PCMCIA card
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:10:24 -0500

All,
I have just bought a Kodak digital camera and want to download photos onto
my dual boot laptop.  The FlashMemory=>PCMCIA card works great and I am
coping the photos to windows partition and then rebooting and running mount
to get the photos copied to linux.  However, I want to mount the flash
memory and copy on linux only.  Can I mount the card directly?  Can someone
hold my hand and help me learn a few things.  I have the 3.0.14 PCMCIA
driver on Linux.

Thanks,
William Asquith