Linux-Misc Digest #458, Volume #20                Wed, 2 Jun 99 02:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SMS for linux? (Raj Rijhwani)
  Re: where o where  might i find xagent??? (Marc Mutz)
  opinions on FTP daemons? (Janet)
  Re: lp: driver loaded but no devices found (Su Wadlow)
  Is there a sar like utility for Linux? (Donald Ellis)
  Re: LOCAL: June University of Utah Linux Users Group Meeting ("Y.K. Yang")
  Re: bizarre system freeze, I need *HELP* ! (Bruno Barberi Gnecco)
  Re: depth problem (NF Stevens)
  Re: PPP problem?! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: help with fdisk (Bill Damon)
  ISDN in US ("John G. Sandell")
  Re: SuSE vs Red Hat? (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: SuSE vs Red Hat? (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: NT the best web platform? ("Chad Mulligan")
  Re: swapon: operation not permitted by device (Scott Lanning)
  Java Development Kit for Linux ("Ted")
  Re: Decent Partition Sizes?? (Ian Briggs)
  Re: URGENT. Dead or life. ("Aaron Fransen")
  Re: /dev/sda4 not a valid block device? (Sylvia Wong)
  INN news server (Patrick Lanphier)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: SMS for linux?
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 99 22:06:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "William Schwartz" writes:

> does SMS for linux exist?

I use chat with a data card...
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 00:29:48 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: where o where  might i find xagent???

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi
>
>         i cant seem to find this proggie
tried alta vista, etc.?
tried gopher?

Marc Mutz

------------------------------

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: opinions on FTP daemons?
Date: 01 Jun 1999 21:27:23 -0700

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody had opinions on the different FTP daemons
such as wu-ftpd, ncftpd, etc.  The main features I'm looking for are a
small memory footprint and the ability to see file transfers that are
currently running.  It would be nice to have utmp/wtmp support, too.

Thanks,
Janet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Su Wadlow)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:57:10 GMT

Hi Georg,

>in 2.0.35:
>
>CONFIG_PRINTER=y
>
>In 2.2.9:
>
>CONFIG_PRINTER=y
>CONFIG_PARPORT=y
>CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y

OK, parallel support is compiled into the kernel, not as
a module.

>/var/log/dmesg contains:
>
>Linux version 2.2.9 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.7.2.3)
>#17 Sat May 29 19:27:06 CEST 1999
>Console: mono EGA+ 80x25
>Calibrating delay loop... 3.51 BogoMIPS
>Memory: 9076k/10496k available (680k kernel code, 408k reserved, 304k
>data, 28k init)
>Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...
>No.
>CPU: 386
>Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using old IRQ 13 error reporting
>Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
>Checking for popad bug... Buggy.
>POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
>Micro Channel bus detected.
>Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
>Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
>NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
>NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
>IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
>Starting kswapd v 1.5
>Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
>ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>
>so looks like the kernal does not autodetect the parallel port. Maybe this
>is a bios problem? (it's a PS/2 machine after all). Should I try to
>specify something with lilo?

Hmmmm, interesting.

I don't *think* doing anything with LILO will fix it,
although I could be wrong.

A couple of things to try.  First, check and see if you
have /dev/lp0 and/or /dev/parport0.  If not, you might
using 'mknod' to create the device.

Also, did you compile in support for PLIP?  I'm not real
familiar with that particular device, but IIRC, if you
compile that in, you *have* to compile in parallel support
as a module.  (I don't *think* this is your problem, but
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. :-) )

And you could always boot to the ref disk and verify that
the parallel port *is* there.  *I* think this is a *real*
long shot.  The odds of both machines having bad parallel
ports is probably very big, but you never know . . . .

------------------------------

From: Donald Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is there a sar like utility for Linux?
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:40:48 -0400

Is there a utility that works like the SCO unix version of sar. That is,
saves data every so often so that a history of system resource usage can
be put into a report.

I have found xsar and xosview. They are nice but are useless for remote
administration of servers.

Thanks for any help you can give.

------------------------------

From: "Y.K. Yang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LOCAL: June University of Utah Linux Users Group Meeting
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 18:23:17 -0600

Hi,

Where is the INSCC building?

--
/* Y.K. Yang                                   Research Assistant */
/* University of Utah       Dept. of Chemical & Fuels Engineering */

------------------------------

From: Bruno Barberi Gnecco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: bizarre system freeze, I need *HELP* !
Date: 1 Jun 1999 09:43:02 -0500

Dave Phillips wrote:

>   I've copied the relevant section from /var/log/messages, and I'm
> hoping some guru or wizard can see just where things are going south.
>   I'm running Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, on a P166 with 64 megs RAM.
> The video card is an S3-Trio64 board with 2 megs RAM.

> May 31 07:52:51 localhost kernel: OSS warning: Application caused too
> much output underrun errors on audio de
> vice #0.

        Here's a bug. As I saw dip being loaded, it's probably realaudio,
but it may be any sound program. your sig shows that this is probably
the problem.

> May 31 07:52:51 localhost kernel: Look at oss/docs/README.performance
> for more info.

        Did you take a look at this?

> May 31 12:13:46 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00,
> sector 0

        It's interesting, I had a very different problem but the output
error is basically the same. My problem occured during boot, and it only
was solved when I did a make mrproper in the linux kernel and recompiled
carefully, adding one option at a time.

> May 31 12:19:16 localhost kernel: Process X (pid: 337, process nr: 20,
> stackpage=03428000)

        Have you linked this error to any i/o? remember that linux doesn't
write immediately to the HD, but caches. I suggest you to try to update the
kernel to 2.2. Regards,

--
Did you *REALLY* check that interface between the chair and the keyboard?
Bruno Barberi Gnecco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ICQ #1383173 - PGP 5.0i user

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: depth problem
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 23:04:03 GMT

Brian Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been setting up rh 5.2 using an IBM G70 monitor (17") with 2mb video
>RAM, and when I try to run various graphical programs, such as
>control-panel, I get
>
>** ERROR **: unable to find a usable depth
>Aborted (core dumped)
>
>I've tried using XF86Setup to change the depth settings, and unless I
>choose 640x480 with a depth of 8, I end up with a monitor on the fritz or
>a message like "cannot connect to X server (error 111)".  I'm also stuck
>with a 640x480 display, and I'd really like to have 1024x768, but I've
>tried just about every combination with XF86Setup, with no real success.
>The display adapter is S3 Inc. Trio3d, so I've used the vga16 driver.  The
>monitor is capable of displaying 1024x768 under windows, so I know it's
>possible...any help would be appreciated.

Surely you want the XF86_S3 server. I'm using that server for
the same card and I get 1024x768 with no problems.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PPP problem?!
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:52:06 GMT

In article <tt053.65$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Frank Yan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I set up my ppp stuff under RH5.2, everything seems fine at first.
>Everything is ok, like ping, telnet, netscape,..., but after a while I found
>something really unusual that the net speed is extremely slower than
>that under windows system. I can hardly surf the net by using netscape
>under RH, and when I download something from the net, the speed
>is extremely slower than under windows.
>I'm wondering if I did something wrong with the configuration or
>something not configured well with the modem, I've got a u.s. robotics
>external modem 56k, but the speed looks like only 56 :(
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Frank

        If you invoke pppd with the debug option it will log the handshake
over the modem to syslog, including reporting the modem speed.  What I
found, when I got my external USRobotics modem, was that I was always
connecting at 9600 and it was very frustrating.  Then, one time, I happened
to break out of a minicom session and when I fired up pppd I got a 48000
baud connection!  I tried to duplicate minicom's initializating string in
my chat script but it didn't do any good, so now, when I boot up my machine,
I start minicom, and then either kill 9 it or exit without resetting the
modem, and everything is fine after that until I turn off the modem or
reboot.
        Hope that helps.  (And yes, if I knew how to get the furshlugginer
chat script to initialize the modem without minicoms help that would be
great too.  But figuring that out is just too far down on my queue right
now as I don't reboot very often.)

--
Praeterea censeo Micromolle non esse utendum.
("Moreover, I maintain that Microsoft should not be used."  A toned down

------------------------------

From: Bill Damon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with fdisk
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 00:00:43 +0000

Charles Sullivan wrote:

> The simplest thing to do is to entirely delete hdb3 and recreate it with
> Linux
> fdisk as a native Linux partition.  You can create it either as a Primary
> partition
> hdb3 or as a Logical partition hdb7 within the Extended partition hdb2.
> In the latter case hdb2 should automatically expand to contain it.

O.K. I deleted hdb3 and recreated it with Linux fdisk as a native Linux
primary partition.  I then ran mkfs on hdb3.  What I would like to do now is
move some big directories from my single "newbie install" root partition and
then change fstab so that the system mounts those relocated directories
(/usr and /home and perhaps /var and /src) on hdb3 rather than on /hdb5 as
it currently does.

Looking in the tips HOWTO it shows that the following command should be used
to move entire directories between filesystems:

(cd /source/directory && tar cf - .) |  (cd /dest/directory && tar xvfp -)

Is that right?  Do I include the parenthesis when I type that command with
my directories?

How do I mount the new /dev/hdb3 so I have a /dest/directory to use with the
above command?  Normally with mount I would give it a directory name, but
initially I won't have a directory to mount it with...???  You can see I am
confused about the steps I need to follow now.

Do I need to boot linux from a bootable floppy so that the directories I
want to move will not be in use?  If so, then wouldn't I have to manually
mount my current hard disk so it is available under the booted floppy
version of linux?

This is probably a lot simpler than it looks like to me right now.  Any help
would be much appreciated...

thanks...

------------------------------

From: "John G. Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN in US
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:56:55 -0700

I have seen postings here re: ISDN in Europe but need info from anyone
who has set up ISDN with linux in the U.S. Can anyone help?

John Sandell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: SuSE vs Red Hat?
Date: 1 Jun 1999 23:28:18 GMT

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 12:30:36 -0700, Alex Lam wrote:
>I've tried, installed Slackware, RedHat and SuSE.
>
>My final words.  Go with Slackware if you're a Linux guru.
>
>SuSE is the easiest to install and config.
>
>RedHat sucks big time. Keep choking on 3 different computers that both
>Slackware and SuSE would install properly with the first run.
>
>Go with SuSE.
>
>Alex Lam.

I've been running RH for quite sometimes, infact it was from RH 4.X days and it
hasn't give me any installation problems. I've installed it in many different PC
w/o much problem and currently I'm running RH 6.0 on my notebook.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       |[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |i|
|iMac/233 RevB+MacOS 8.6 |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Date: 1 Jun 1999 23:25:48 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:19:39 -0400, David Filion wrote:
>The only problem I've found with Redhat is that for a few things there is
>the Linux way and then there is the RedHat way.  I try to aviod the Redhat
>way because I like to understand what is happening behind the scenes and
>Redhat sometimes hides this.
>
>The only other problem I've found with Redhat is the price hike.  I bould
>my version of Redhat, 5.1, as part of the powertools package for $14.99
>CDN.  The distribution is now up to $80 CDN and powertools is not too far
>behind.

Every distributions has their own way of distributing the configuration files
and the binaries and there was a talk on common standard for this but I've no
idea if they're ever implemented. RH uses SysV like configuration style while
Slackware uses BSDish.

BTW, if you don't require the support, you can always download RH from the net,
or spend USD1.99 for a Cheapbytes CD.

From: "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:15:17 -0700

LEBLANC ERIC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:gUX43.3066$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Mulligan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> :
> : Miguel Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:IsT43.1183$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> : > Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : > >> *NT* afaik is *not* free.
> : > >
> : > > Either is a professional UNIX.
> : >
> : > I take it your definition of a professional Unix is "one that is not
> : > available for free."
> : >
> : > miguel
> : Essentially, hobbyists don't have the discipline to do it properly.  For
> : examples look at Disk Druid, and RH 6.0.
>
> Disk-Druid and RH 6.0 were put together by paid programmers working for
> a corporation (Red Hat). Both are commercial products. Your examples are
> flawed.

IIRC, many have said " you don't have to wait for the original programmer to
fix a bug, identifiy it and someone will send the patch" I ask where are the
patches?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Subject: Re: swapon: operation not permitted by device
Date: 2 Jun 1999 00:34:22 GMT

D. Vrabel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: You need to run mkswap on the partition first.

In principle, I agree. In practice, however, (from my original post):

<     I tried 'swapon /dev/hda7', and swapon emitted "operation not
< permitted by device". I tried 'mkswap /dev/hda7', and mkswap emitted
< something like "partition must be greater than 40 KB". I tried
< 'mkswap /dev/hda7 65992', and mkswap emitted "unable to write
< signature page". I thought maybe I should leave some space for the
< signature page, so I tried 64968 but got the same result (probably
< that was stupid anyway).

--
Scott Lanning: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://physics.bu.edu/~slanning
"He that is at liberty to ramble in perfect darkness, what is his

------------------------------

From: "Ted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Java Development Kit for Linux
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:57:25 -0700

Does anyone know if the Sun's JDK will work on Linux?

-Ted

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: Re: Decent Partition Sizes??
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 00:41:25 GMT

azfar wrote:
:I will be giving some 3.8GB to Linux and rest to Win32.
:I need to know what are the decent partition sizes
:Would someone suggest ones?

It all depends on how you use your system, but FWIW these are the sizes
I'm currently using on a 3.1GB drive:
        swap     128MB
        /        400MB   9% full
        /usr    1500MB  60% full (with /opt linked to /usr/opt)
        /var     300MB  15% full (with /tmp linked to /var/tmp)
        /home    740MB  19% full
so I'll probably end up reducing / and /var to 100MB each, and increasing
/usr to 2GB.

Good luck.

Ian

------------------------------

From: "Aaron Fransen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: URGENT. Dead or life.
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 05:42:54 GMT

CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE also gets you out of X...at least on OpenLinux!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sylvia Wong)
Subject: Re: /dev/sda4 not a valid block device?
Date: 2 Jun 1999 00:22:34 GMT

>mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zipdrive
>
>produces the error in the subject line.  Any suggestions?

have you inserted a disk into the drive?

also you could use modprobe ppa instead of 2 lines of insmod (this is not the
reason for the error message though, just to save you some typing).

cheers

weather forecasters.                            -- Jean-Paul Kauffmann

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://linux.ele.auckland.ac.nz/~swon074

From: Patrick Lanphier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: INN news server
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 01:25:24 -0400

Where do I find information on how to configure the INN news server?  I'll I would
like to do is
setup a couple of private news groups.

Patrick Lanphier