  Re: login.defs & xterm -ls (Ken Pizzini)

From: YANAGIHARA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: [Q] Parallel port access program permission
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:24:39 +0900

Hello, everybody.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
William Burrow wrote
>Why not trying to read and write from /dev/lp0?  Is your parallel port
>not supported?
The device which is connected to parallel port is not
printer. It is a original electronic circuit board of my
own making, so transaction protocol is different to printer.
So I thought that inb/outb oparation is easier than opening
/dev/lp0.

--
Thank you for reading.
Yanagihara

------------------------------

From: "Allen Berge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:42:44 -0400

I don't agree.
With a decent GUI, all the technical stuff can be transparent to the average
user.  We're still not quite there, but its getting easier.
I'm interested in seeing what a company investing some money into a Linux
based OS and non-intel hardware can do.
I remember people thinking PC's were too hard to use, and all the Dos
eggheads thinking that PC's were too much for the average consumer.   Then
came Windows and eveyone and his brother were getting PC's.   Of course the
dos diehards thought windows was crap (which it was/is), but computer dummys
were point&clicking and getting the same stuff done on their computers.

on another note:

People don't understand how important it is to get rid of the
Intel/Microsoft legacy and to have a completely open system, not dependant
on a particular pantented piece of hardware or software.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: YANAGIHARA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:12:13 +0900

Thank you for your answers.

In article <7pf08m$8vd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Victor Wagner wrote
>Trying to manage some strange parallel port device, aren't you?
Yes. My parallel port device is a board of my own making to
control other experimental hardware. I want to use this
board quickly, and I don't have many hours to learn device
driver programming. So I chose dirty but quickly way.
(But I'm interested in device driver programming. So, some
time, I want to rebuild this program as driver module.)

>2. The quick and dirty way
>
>  Read a section about "Changing process persona" in info libc
>
>  Make your program setuid root and make call to seteuid(getuid())
>  just after calling ioperm.
>  Than make your program owned by root and chmod u+s it.
Thanks. I tried chmod command. Other users became to use my
program successfully.

>  Of course, having yet another suid-root prog is not good, but
>  it would do the job.

I'm understanding this way is dirtier than making kernel
driver module. But, I think chmod oparation is better than
getuid(). Because root can administer permission without
rebuild the program. What do you think about this point ?

--
Thank you for reading.
Yanagihara

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: giving a 'lpr' command from within a C program
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:30:54 GMT

i need to issue an 'lpr' que command from within my C program.

i would be really grateful for a pointer.

thanks.

dave mallery

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: notbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO and unix
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:44:43 GMT

I would like to become familiar with unix variants (freeBSD, Solaris,
etc) other than linux.  It's my under standing that the linux filesystem
is ext2 and for unix it's ufs.  Are there other proprietary filesystems
for other flavors of unix?  And, can lilo be used to boot any OS,
including any unix variants?  Can it boot different flavors of unix,
even if they use the same filesystem?

thnxsomuch  =D
nb

------------------------------

From: "Allen Berge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:21:27 -0400

I had a Commodore Pet, Mac I, Apple I, Amiga 1000, Original Charlie PC, and
some other old ones but not firsts

C64, C128, AppleII clone, Amiga 500.   Was keeping them because I figured
they'd be antiques in 20 years and working

ones would be real expensive.   They all burned up in a house fire :(

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> 29.  First computer used was a TRS-80.  First one I owned was a
> Commodore 64.  Believe it or not I've still got an old Apple file://e
sitting
> in my closet...I treat that baby like a model-T.
>
> Robert
>

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:15:40 -0500, Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >DanH wrote:

Commodore PET.

What

FreeBSD vs.

------------------------------

From: Youjip Won <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: gateway: What am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:57:04 +0900

Hi,
   With all the answer from various experts, I am still having problems
in installing network.

   ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 => fine
   route add -net 127.0.0.0 ==> fine
   ifconfig eth0 166.104.88.108 => fine
   route add -net 166.104.88.0 ==> fine
   route add default gw 166.104.88.1 ==> Ouch!!!

   After executing the previous steps, if I type 'route' it shows the
first two lines(networks) and stalls. 'route -n' shows the third
entry(gateway) properly.

If I add 'netmask 255.255.255.0' in adding gateway, the 'route' shows
the entry properly. Of course, the packet does not find the gateway
properly while it finds the hosts in the same subnet. What am I doing
wrong?
Thanks.

Youjip

Dear all,

   I really appreciate your detailed replies. Unfortunately, I am still
struggling with my linux box.

   1. 'route -n' seems to generate what I expected.
   2. 'route' stalls.
   3. ping 166.104.88.107(host in the same subnet) works properly.
   4. traceroute 166.104.88.107 stalls.
   5. ping 166.104.88.1(gateway) stalls.
   6. traceroute 166.104.88.1 generates interesting trace.

>From the host in the same subnet, I can ping to THE machine(named
sobaek).
But, I was not able to telnet nor ftp to sobaek.

Help!!!

Youjip

Script started on Mon Aug 16 09:52:52 1999
[root@sobaek network-scripts]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1
lo
166.104.88.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        3
eth0

0.0.0.0         166.104.88.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        3
eth0

[root@sobaek network-scripts]# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:166.104.88.108  Bcast:166.104.88.255
Mask:255.255.255.0

          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:26:11:8C:79
          inet addr:166.104.88.108  Bcast:166.104.88.255
Mask:255.255.255.0

          collisions:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6800

[root@sobaek network-scripts]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
127.0.0.0       *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1
lo
166.104.88.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        3
eth0

[root@sobaek network-scripts]# ping 166.104.88.107
PING 166.104.88.107 (166.104.88.107): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 166.104.88.107: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=1.1 ms
64 bytes from 166.104.88.107: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.6 ms

--- 166.104.88.107 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.6/0.8/1.1 ms
[root@sobaek network-scripts]# ping 166.104.88.1
PING 166.104.88.1 (166.104.88.1): 56 data bytes

--- 166.104.88.1 ping statistics ---
[root@sobaek network-scripts]# traceroute 166.104.88.107
traceroute to 166.104.88.107 (166.104.88.107), 30 hops max, 40 byte
packets

[root@sobaek network-scripts]# traceroute 166.104.88.107
traceroute to 166.104.88.1 (166.104.88.1), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  sobaek (166.104.88.108)  0.225 ms !H  0.153 ms !H  0.141 ms !H
[root@sobaek network-scripts]# exit
exit

Script done on Mon Aug 16 09:54:03 1999

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Nixon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: accessing windows files under linux
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:00:40 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:58:29 GMT, Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Good. If you recommend someone to ignore other's suggestions, at least
>get yours right. What filesystem /dev/hdax is? What is a multi boot
>mount?

mount -t vfat /dev/hdxy /win-or-what-ever-you--name-the-mount-point

A multi boot MOUNT is about the ONLY reason ANYONE might have a FAT,
VFAT or NTFS file system on the SAME computer shared with linux. If
you can think of another reason (home user) or term, then by all
means, speak your peace, man.

          Bob Nixon
http://members.home.net/bigrex/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Tuthill)
Subject: Gnome File Manager goes nuts when /mnt dir selected
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:45:00 GMT

The other night I added several MSDOS drives to Linuxconf (already had
my C drive mounted).  Everytime I selected the /mnt directory using
Gnome's file manager the file window would start flickering like crazy
and would continue until I annihilated the file manager.  There was
also a core dump each time.  This happened even when the drives
weren't mounted.  Once I got rid of the subdirectories for each drive
this behaviour stopped.

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what's going on?

TIA

------------------------------

From: fanboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dose this ng have a faq?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:55:03 -0700

    I'm curious if this ng has a faq? What about the other linux
ngs? Any idea where I might find them?

    Fanboy

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:01:39 -0400

Allen Berge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7pg45i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I don't agree.
> With a decent GUI, all the technical stuff can be transparent to the
average
> user.  We're still not quite there, but its getting easier.
> I'm interested in seeing what a company investing some money into a Linux
> based OS and non-intel hardware can do.
> I remember people thinking PC's were too hard to use, and all the Dos
> eggheads thinking that PC's were too much for the average consumer.   Then
> came Windows and eveyone and his brother were getting PC's.   Of course
the
> dos diehards thought windows was crap (which it was/is), but computer
dummys
> were point&clicking and getting the same stuff done on their computers.
>
> on another note:
>
> People don't understand how important it is to get rid of the
> Intel/Microsoft legacy and to have a completely open system, not dependant
> on a particular pantented piece of hardware or software.

Almost impossible to convince them.
I understand their point of view.
It was said CISC/Intel had too much baggage.
Now they are faster than most people need and still run very old dos apps.

You would have to first get people to give away/contribute enough to have
a working system.  You would then have to make it much better than existing
computers to make people forget all the old software (probably need an
emulator realistically.)  Then you may have a chance as many people
already a few older computers in their house they could run older
software on and use their new very fast new design computers for
the limited software available on them.  Sort of like keeping a
windows pc but using your linux pc more often.
Jim

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO and unix
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:52:32 GMT

notbob wrote:

> for other flavors of unix?  And, can lilo be used to boot any OS,
> including any unix variants?  Can it boot different flavors of unix,
> even if they use the same filesystem?

I could boot NT, Win95, Win31, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and of course
Linux with lilo.

Vilmos

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
http://members.home.net/vilmossoti/resume.html

------------------------------

From: Erwan David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 19 Aug 1999 09:16:29 +0200

"Christopher Lu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm taking a class on operating systems.  During the last class, the
> instructor mentioned that *nices are less reliable and less secure than
> Microsoft OS's.  His reasoning is that because *nices (espeically linux) is
> free and everyone has access to it, it's less secure.  Random people can
> hack into a *nix system easier because they can figure out the interrupts
> and stuff, since it's a free OS.
>
> I questioned the fact that the majority of servers on the internet use some
> flavor or *nix.  He answered saying that only small size companies use *nix.
> Everyone else uses something more secure (he meant MS I'm assuming).

        hotmail (a microsoft subsidy...) uses Unix...

--
Erwan David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Pizzini)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: login.defs & xterm -ls
Date: 19 Aug 1999 06:09:04 GMT

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:49:14 GMT,
Don Feliciano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In /etc/login.defs, the default PATH is set up:
>So, in /etc/profile I have:
>PATH="$PATH:/bar"
>export PATH
>
>This is all well and good.  echo $PATH correctly shows /foo:/bar
>
>However, if I invoke an xterm with -ls as an argment, echo $PATH
>yeilds /foo:/bar:/bar.  My guess is that PATH is already set before
>xterm runs through /etc/profile (which has PATH=$PATH:/bar).
>
>Why does this happen?  What's the workaround?

Where are you invoking this xterm from?  I would guess from some
shell that already has $PATH set up with /foo:/bar.  "xterm -ls"
does not invoke login, so the /etc/login.defs file is not
getting run, so the PATH is not being reset to just /foo, and
the login-startup of the shell is unconditinally appending :/bar
to whatever PATH it is inheriting.

One solution is to modify your /etc/profile to only append /bar
if it isn't already in your $PATH:
  case :$PATH: in
    *) PATH=$PATH:/bar ;;
  esac