Linux-Misc Digest #509, Volume #20                Sat, 5 Jun 99 22:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  best collecting software??? any for Linux??? ("Ronald D. Haynes")
  Screensaver Freezes Machine, RH 6/Gnome (Robert B. Love)
  Re: Is Linux Open Source? (stdio.h) (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Linux or how to build something very complicated?? (Cliff Story)
  Re: Postgresql starting problem (Robert Lynch)
  Re: procmail and lockfiles (Colin Smith)
  NE-12CT Ethernet Card (Jeff Workman)
  Re: crontab to start PPP (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Help on basic use of PPPD and CHAT (Ian Briggs)
  Re: Q: Netscape RedHat 6.0 "Bus error" (Thomas Borchsenius)
  HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes? (Alex Lam)
  Re: Mice recommendations (David M. Cook)
  Re: Does WABI work in Red Hat Linux 6.0? (Brad Corsello)
  OpenLinux (Patrick Dunford)
  Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle) (brian moore)
  Anyone have any suggestions? (Thomas Cameron)
  Netscape 4.51 Crashes When Java Starts (damons)
  Re: procmail and lockfiles (peter)
  Re: sendmail forwarding... ("Michael Faurot")
  RH6.0 + Eicon DIVA ISDN ("Wouter Bovelander")
  Re: Trident Blade 3D support in Xfree86 (Don Whitlow)
  Re: Basic setup? What do I need ? (David M. Cook)
  Re: OpenLinux (Brian Logan)
  Re: can i share the monitor between 2 linux box w switch box? (Alex Lam)
  Re: Anyone know a good linux book (David M. Cook)
  Re: GCC Compatibility (Peter Eddy)
  Re: Connecting iMac to Linux... (Peter Eddy)
  Re: can i share the monitor between 2 linux box w switch box? (Cliff Story)
  Re: SATAN v1.1.1 [released] and v1.1.4 [experimental] both do not  (root)

From: "Ronald D. Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.collecting.sport.hockey
Subject: best collecting software??? any for Linux???
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 16:48:56 -0700

Hi, just wondering what people are using for cataloging their cards...
I have had a
bad experience in the past.  Any that work with Linux?

Thanks,
R Haynes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert B. Love )
Subject: Screensaver Freezes Machine, RH 6/Gnome
Date: 6 Jun 1999 00:10:53 GMT

After installing RH 6.0 and the defaults for Gnone/Enlightenment
I find one of the screensavers will lock up the machine and not
allow me to log back in.  Is this a known problem?  I don't know
the name of the saver but it looks kind of like a moire pattern
that has been quantized into 1/4 inch blocks.

I can go thru and remove lots of screensavers until I find it
by hit and miss but thought I'd ask here for better ideas.

 Bob Love                                   MIME & NeXT Mail OK

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Is Linux Open Source? (stdio.h)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:39:57 GMT

On 31 May 1999 13:23:10 +0200, Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > The datatype and purpose of '_cnt' would serve the purpose.
>> > The linux version does NOT matter at all.
>> Where can I download it? Is there a source tree somewhere?
>

>no, linux isn't open source. they won't show you stdio.h -
>m.

Sure, Linux is Open Source.
But, Linux has nothing to do with stdio.h
If you want to see stdio.h, check out the Free Software Foundation's
FTP site, and download the GLIBC sources (which includes stdio.h)

Oh, BTW, loose the chip on your sholder. It's interfering with your
vision.  ;-)

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Cliff Story <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux or how to build something very complicated??
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:15:29 -0700

> I try to install red hat linux 5.2 and a lot of crash...I mean lot of
> problem...partition problem Can someone tell me if the difference
> between Win 98 and linux (mean compare) Thanks

This is kinda vague...  Like, what is your hardware?  What sort of
installation -- server, workstation, custom -- did you attempt?  What
problems did you have?  What is the relationship between your subject
line and the content of this message?

               Cliff

"If you wanna end war 'n' stuff, you gotta sing loud."
          - Arlo Guthrie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 16:44:16 -0700
From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Postgresql starting problem

Philippe Lê wrote:

> Hi
>
> I installed the Mandrake 6.0 Linux distribution based on the Red-Hat
> 6.0.
> I automaticaly installes the postgresql program. I want to try out
> this
> database but I can't connect to it as explained in the doc file, I get
> message "Missing or mis-configured pg_hba.conf file", this file
> doesn't exist
> on my computer.
> In the doc file there is always made mention of a /usr/local/pgsql
> directory,
> this directory is not on my computer.

I have a /usr/lib/pgsql.  No /usr/local/pgsql.  I am on RH 5.2.

The file I have in that directory looks like this:

[user@ravel pgsql]$ cat pg_hba.conf
# 4-7-99 Per http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/jdbc.pdf doc
host    all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255 password

> The rest seems fine, the postmaster process is runing and I use the
> postgres
> account that was automaticaly create to loggon.
>
> So if someone knows what to do I would be very happy.
>
> Thank-you:
>
> Philippe Lê
> Paris, France
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> PS: I also tried the initdb command and I get this message
> "initdb does not know where to find the files that make up Postgres
> (the
> PGLIB directory). You must identify the PGLIB directory either with a
> --pglib
> invocation option, or by setting the PGLIB enviromment variable, or by
> having
> a program called 'postconfig' in you search path that outpouts an
> asignment
> for PGLIB."

Try setting this to '/usr/lib/pgsql', esp. if you find that exists. ;-)
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Smith)
Subject: Re: procmail and lockfiles
Date: 5 Jun 1999 23:45:57 GMT

On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 00:40:31 GMT, peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I wrote a complex .procmailrc that filters data out of a mail, writes it
>to temporary files and call a script at the end that will process this
>files. (see example below)
>
>this one works fine as long as the incoming mails are not to close. As
>soon as a few mails arrives at almost the same time, same strange things
>happen. I think, that each incoming mail starts a instance of procmail
>and so more procmails are running at the same time, writing to the same
>files and so chaos comes its way.
>
>Could lockfiles avoid this ?

Yes

>What exactely are lockfiles doing ?

Locking the destination file so that chaos doesn't ensue when multiple
mails come in at the same time.

>How to implement them ? (:0 c :/tmp/lock.1  will bring an error in the
>log)

It's just the : that's required.

man procmailex

You don't have to specify the lockfile, procmail uses a file with
the name of the output file with a .lock extension.

excerpt from the man page:

    97         Add  the headers of all messages that didn't come from the
    98         postmaster to your private header collection (for  statis-
    99         tics   or   mail   debugging);   and   use   the  lockfile
   100         `headc.lock'.  In order to make sure the lockfile  is  not
   101         removed  until  the pipe has finished, you have to specify
   102         option `w'; otherwise the lockfile  would  be  removed  as
   103         soon as the pipe has accepted the mail.
   104
   105                :0 hwc:
   106                * !^FROM_MAILER
   107                | uncompress headc.Z; cat >>headc; compress headc

--
|Colin Smith:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Windows 2000:     |
|The Archeus FRPG system:                        | The Zeppelin of   |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Workman)
Subject: NE-12CT Ethernet Card
Date: 6 Jun 1999 00:00:22 GMT

I was recently given several ethernet cards.  These cards are marked NE-12CT
and have a UMC UM9003F NIC controller on them.  What, if any, driver would I
have to use to get these cards to work with Linux?  I thought that they might
be NE2000 clones but if so, the kernel won't detect them automatically.

Please reply by e-mail as well as posting.  I don't get a chance to read
usenet often.

Thanks In advance,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey B. Workman

System Administrator, SpazzNet Communications

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: crontab to start PPP
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 00:14:31 GMT

In article <7jcbn2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gerald Jensen wrote:
>Juergen Heinzl wrote:
>
>> In article <7jbdhk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gerald Jensen wrote:
>> >I'm having trouble getting a crontab to start a PPP session at 11:59pm
>> >every night. I've tried ....
>> >
>> >59 23 * * * /etc/ppp/ppp-on
>>
>> /etc/ppp/ppp-on ought to be a script run by the pppd, not to start
>> up a connection.
>> [...]
[...]
>That is correct ... ppp-on is a shell script I use to start PPP sessions.
>From the command line, if I type ppp-on, the dialer initializes the modem
>and dials. I need the crontab to do it for me unattended.

Juergen ... get some sleep 8) ... so ...
* /etc/ppp/ppp-on is executable
* the first line is #! /bin/sh (or ksh or csh, whatever)
* you've installed the crontab file as user ...
* you're allowed as user ... to use cron

Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: Re: Help on basic use of PPPD and CHAT
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 23:51:34 GMT

Jules-Ange Infante wrote:
:I have never been able to get CHAT to establish a connection with my
:internet service provider.  My modem works

I recommend Bill Unruh's "How to hook up PPP", an excellent step-by-step
guide to writing PPP scripts (at http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html).

Good luck.

Ian

------------------------------

From: Thomas Borchsenius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Q: Netscape RedHat 6.0 "Bus error"
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:44:19 +0000

"Jin.G" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> new installation, RedHat 6.0 Netscape built in.
> when i start ns and go to java applet page, netscape crashes with "bus
> error", no extar jdk was installed on same m/c.
> i'm using S3 virge/DX video display.
>
> Pls reply by email, thanks.

Just add these to lines to the file /etc/X11/fs/config:
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,

Then restart the font-server, by thyping /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart.
Remember to do this as root.

- Thomas -

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 16:19:07 -0700

Hi,
    I'm using SuSE 6.0, netscape 4.5 came with it. Everything runs
fine until
I was browsing a web site, and suddenly all data transfer stopped and
netscape frozen
effect either. I was forced to power off (without shutdown command) to
reboot. Fortunity, linux lived through the process.

      What should I do if this happen again?

Thanks.

Alex Lam.

--
*remove the X if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Mice recommendations
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 23:57:49 GMT

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 01:26:37 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>What mice do most people recommend to use with Linux?

I like the MouseSystems White Mouse (mine was about $30) and various
Logitech 3-button mice.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Corsello)
Subject: Re: Does WABI work in Red Hat Linux 6.0?
Date: 6 Jun 1999 00:02:08 GMT

On 5 Jun 1999 12:25:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Brad Corsello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Before I plunk down US$42 for a copy of WABI so I can run Quicken, does anyone
>: know if it works on a Red Hat 6.0 system?  Any glibc compatability issues or
>: somesuch?
>
>I have Wabi working on a 2.2 System (Suse6.0).

Do you have glibc 2.1, also?

>But you should consider vmware, as that will boot win32/win95/winnt too.

I would, but I don't have a big enough machine.

--
Brad Corsello, New York, NY.  (Remove #NOSPAM from reply-to address.)
No animals were harmed in the writing of this message.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Dunford)
Crossposted-To: nz.comp
Subject: OpenLinux
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:56:37 +1200

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle)
Date: 6 Jun 1999 00:36:27 GMT

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:42:57 -0400,
 Anthony J. Gabrielson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>       Wait till the summer - xfs from sgi will be open source.

And, amusingly enough, SGI -really- wants it to go to Linux and really
doesn't want it going to their competition.... which makes it an ideal
candidate for GPL'ing. :)

SGI hasn't decided on the exact terms of the license yet, though.

IMHO, they'll get a zillion coolness points by using the GPL instead of
making up yet-another-license, and it will be a LOT easier to add to
Linux if it's GPL'd.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Thomas Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone have any suggestions?
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 08:31:22 -0400

Hello all,
        I am writing a front end to an MP3 system in SVGAlib and was
wondering
if there are any BETTER graphics libraries that are freely usable that
will aide me in creating my own GUI that runs at the shell (not in a
shell window from a windowing system).  Any help is greatly appreciated,
and samples are cool too (if possible).  Thanks in advance.

--

Thomas Cameron
KonRAD Development Group

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
 Never stop chasing your dreams, because the moment
 you do is the moment that your mind dies, and you
 begin waiting for your body to catch up.

 -Thomas Cameron
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

------------------------------

From: damons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape 4.51 Crashes When Java Starts
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 20:07:49 -0400

I am running Linux 6.0 and Netscape 4.51.  Whenever I access a web page
that starts up Java, Netscape instantly crashes.  I have no idea what to
do to fix it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks....Bill Damon, Salem, VA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 23:50:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

thanks for your advice.

> It's just the : that's required.

I´ve read all the procmail-manpages very often in the last few days ;)

I try to implement a lockfile: (I need to specify the lockfile explicit,
cause procmail cannot extract a name from the pipes I deliver my mails)

:0 w: mobil.lock
* ^To.*xyz
{
}

and get the following entry in my procmaillog:

procmail: Extraneous locallockfile ignored

any idea ?

peter

=================
pilsl@
ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

------------------------------

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: sendmail forwarding...
Date: 5 Jun 1999 23:26:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Matt Templeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a small network with a linux box doing masquerading. I need to
: forward all incoming mail to MS Exchange running on an NT server behind
: the linux. I want to use sendmail on the linux box to forward all mail
: to the server, but every time I try, I get an Email back stating that
: forwarding has been denied. How can I configure sendmail to forward
: every thing it receives to the exchange server???

Another way to do this is with a port forwarder on the linux box to
shunt/repeat the connections it gets in on port TCP/25 over to the
exchange box.

Take a look here for one of these tools:

        http://users.qual.net/~sammy/hacks/

 Michael | mfaurot  | Anthony's Law of Force:
 Faurot  | atww.org |   Don't force it; get a larger hammer.

------------------------------

From: "Wouter Bovelander" <wbovelander*SPONAM*@antares.nl>
Subject: RH6.0 + Eicon DIVA ISDN
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:06:51 +0200

Hi,

I have recently installed RedHat6.0 and do not know how to determine whether
Linux has recognized my ISDN card.

Any information is appreciated.

Wouter

------------------------------

From: Don Whitlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Trident Blade 3D support in Xfree86
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 19:27:35 -0500

Hi again All,

I dug a little further, and found info at Xfree86.Org that specifically says
the Blade 3D chipset is not supported. I have received info on running it
via the frame buffer device however, so I'm gonna give that a chance.

Thanks, and sorry to have not looked hard enough before posting.

Don

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Basic setup? What do I need ?
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 01:21:37 GMT

On Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:22:52 GMT, Lee Sharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>questionable reviews, like Pump,

AFAIK, the pump that is shipped with 6.0 only has problems with non-standard
DHCP servers.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Logan)
Crossposted-To: nz.comp
Subject: Re: OpenLinux
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 01:05:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Dunford) wrote:

>I see OpenLinux got a good review in NZ PC World this month. What do people
>think of it?

Firstly why not tell us what you think of it.

B.

-- Brian Logan     ICQ#4931597

It is harder to live with a saint than to be one.

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can i share the monitor between 2 linux box w switch box?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:16:55 -0700

Cliff Story wrote:

> Alex Lam wrote:
> >
> > can i share the monitor between 2 linux box?
> > one of the box is a server, which does not need the
> > monitor all the time. Both have identical video cards.
>
> Lots of switch boxes at http://blackbox.com/catalog/index.htm; I use one
> to share a monitor between two Macs.
>
>                Cliff
>
> "If you wanna end war 'n' stuff, you gotta sing loud."
>           - Arlo Guthrie

Thanks.

Alex

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Anyone know a good linux book
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 01:13:09 GMT

On 2 Jun 1999 20:04:33 GMT, User941444 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Personally im a windows 95/98 expert and have recently installed red hat 6. Im
>finding certain thinks confusing and difficult. Can anyone reomemnd a good book
>thAT NOT ONLY LOOKS AT LINUX BUT the graphical user intefaces like kde and
>gnome as many books ive looked at only cover the command you type, not press
>with the mouse.

Apart from the books that come with 6.0 (either paper or online in /usr/doc)
there are not many books up-to-date enough to cover the newer interfaces
(However, I have seen one of the "Teach Yourself Foo in 30 seconds" books on
KDE.)

www.gnome.org and www.kde.org or probably the best places for info on those
interfaces.

>2. Is there actually a great deal of difference between red hat 5.2 and 6. I
>mean, would a book for 5.2 be fine for 6, and to what extent.

Most of the differences are in the kernel and the GUI interface, but most of
the config files are in the same place, and the shell interface is the same.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GCC Compatibility
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 21:13:14 -0400

Andrea,

It could be a compatibility problem, have you tried compiling on the
older machine?

Also, by chance is "." in your path on the machine where your program
works?  If it is, on the other machine try running your program like:

  ./test.execute

Also, be sure it's marked as executable:

  chmod +x test.execute

Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Connecting iMac to Linux...
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 21:09:28 -0400

If you only have two computers, don't spring for a hub.  Just get an
ethernet crossover cable.  I use one and it works fine.  It's just an
ethernet cable with each wire pair reversed.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Cliff Story <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:18:43 -0700

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.security,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.security.general
Subject: Re: SATAN v1.1.1 [released] and v1.1.4 [experimental] both do not
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:11:11 +0100

Hi,

I'm having the same sort of problems with my RedHat5.2 system.
When I 'make linux' I get...

The LINUX rules are untested and may be wrong
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1'
cd src/misc; make "LIBS=" "XFLAGS=-I/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1/include
-DAUTH_GID_T=int" "RPCGEN=rpcgen"
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1/src/misc'
rpcgen rex.x 2>/dev/null
cc -O -I. -I/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1/include -DAUTH_GID_T=int   -c rex.c -o
rex.o
rex.c:33: rex.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [rex.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1/src/misc'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/utils/satan-1.1.1'
make: *** [linux] Error 2

rex.h is in  /usr/include/rpcsvc/rex.h
I'm using  glibc-devel-2.0.7-29 on standard RH5.2

Any ideas ?

I shall try Saint but if I could get an answer for this I would very much
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Neil