Linux-Misc Digest #598, Volume #20               Sat, 12 Jun 99 07:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (John Garrison)
  Internet connection problem - SuSe 6.1 (Patrik Lundin)
  Re: CS4232 sound behavior in RH6.0 ("Jeffrey S. Kline")
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Peter Hayes)
  Re: 'ls' command: how to show all files in all directories? (David Vrabel)
  Unable to Run Pop3 (Sysadmin)
  help!! z file (rusli huandra)
  Re: duplicating a whole hd (Mohamad SALEH)
  Re: SECURITY ISSUES: Single user restriction at lilo boot: (Timo Korvola)
  Re: Sound (Peter T. Breuer)
  Re: using dd (Villy Kruse)
  Re: using dd (Villy Kruse)
  Lpd won't accept print jobs from other machines (Konrad Hinsen)
  Re: Killed the ext2 superblock? (Mick)
  Re: write Bat file (rob)
  Linux User Group of Davis - Meeting 6/14 6:30pm - Sam Lantinga, Loki (William
Kendrick)
  Compiler problems !! ("Animal Mother")
  Re: linux support applicant test needed (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: awe32 prob (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: Telnet monitor (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: 'top' is bottomles - ??? (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: New to Linux (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: WordPerfect as System Freezer! (Christopher Mahmood)
  Re: gcc vs Microsoft and Borland (Christopher Mahmood)

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:11:11 GMT

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 05:06:16 GMT, John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Windows is started from the DOS program Win.com. If it is started from another
> > OS then it is not as OS.
>
> So you're saying that if I start Linux from the DOS prompt using
> Loadlin, then Linux is not an OS, but merely an app running on top of
> DOS?

Ummmm NO. Linux does not NEED DOS to start. It is capable of starting from DOS,
Windows HAS to have DOS, if you delete DOS windows don't work, If you don't have
DOS 7.0 Windows don't work.
Linux is perfectly capable of working without DOS even on the drive. It is a
standalone OS.  Has anyone ever claimed that X11 is an OS? NO. because it's not,
neither is Windows. Both of them are merely extension to an OS. The only difference
is X11 doesn't have to do as much work because Linux is a good OS. Windows has to
do alot of work because DOS is single tasking, has no long filenames, etc. etc.
etc. It is however still just an extension to an OS

> I'll leave you to the wolves.

You compare Linux to Windows in the area of depending on DOS and your leaving ME to
the wolves.  If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.

------------------------------

From: Patrik Lundin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internet connection problem - SuSe 6.1
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:25:05 +0200

Hi

I 'm having problems configuring my internet connection
in SuSe Linux 6.1.

I have configured wvdial and it dials and authenticates successfully to my ISP
but when I start Netscape it complains that it cannot find any host at all
and that "you may have to set the $SOCKS_NS environmental variable
to point to the correct dns server".

I cannot understand this since I have added the DNS servers needed
using Yast ( "system admin" > "network config" > "name servers" ).

I even tried setting this variable to no success, Netscape cannot find any
hosts at all.

What is the problem ?

Patrik Lundin
http://www.javathings.com
GraphApplet 1.0, a full featured Graph drawing calculator
with symbolic differentiation capabilities.
http://www.javathings.com/gapplet_dev/

From: "Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CS4232 sound behavior in RH6.0
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:34:54 -0500

I ran into trouble with it on a Midiman card when the Midi and the Wave
audio shared the same IRQ. Try and map them out separately and also check to
see if some other device is also in the regions of memory space for the
card. If there is, then this can be an issue. I separated them on one box I
was playing with and things worked quite admirably.

My only complaint was that I didn't like the available mixing stuff for the
Midiman and wound up using another card. When I can get good Pro Audio
capabilities in Linux, then things will be migrated to it quickly... fer
sure.

Jeff

From: $peter$@seahaze.demon.co.uk (Peter Hayes)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:31:10 GMT

From: David Vrabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'ls' command: how to show all files in all directories?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:37:27 +0100

On 11 Jun 1999, Oliver.Natt wrote:

>=20
> "J=FCrgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > etc. until complete; then print all those resultant 'allfilesX.txt' I
> > > would like to just get the whole directory/subdirectory/* etc. put in=
> > > one file.
> > Sorry for sounding rude, but did you ever had a look at the man page of
> > "ls"?
> > The option "-r" would have jumped right into your face.
> >=20
> Sorry, but the option -r means 'reverse order' and nor 'recursive'.
So you help fully pointed pointed out that it was -R for recursive?=20

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Sysadmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unable to Run Pop3
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:15:40 +0530

==============244F1482FD0FEDE969C36E73

Hi,

I have installed Redhat 5.2. I want to use the same as POP3 server.
Please refer to the attachment.

I am new to Redhat.

Sysadmin

==============244F1482FD0FEDE969C36E73

Jun 11 12:36:13 tarun ipop3d[3769]: Login failure user=pankaj host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:36:13 tarun ipop3d[3769]: Connection broken while reading line user=pankaj
host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:36:32 tarun ipop3d[3770]: Login failure user=pankaj host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:36:32 tarun ipop3d[3770]: Connection broken while reading line user=pankaj
host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:37:24 tarun ipop3d[3783]: Login failure user=pankaj host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:37:24 tarun ipop3d[3783]: Connection broken while reading line user=pankaj
host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:37:29 tarun ipop3d[3784]: Login failure user=pankaj host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:37:29 tarun ipop3d[3784]: Connection broken while reading line user=pankaj
host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:52:45 tarun ipop3d[4264]: Login failure user=pankaj host=192.9.200.101
Jun 11 12:52:45 tarun ipop3d[4264]: Connection broken while reading line user=pankaj
host=192.9.200.101

From: rusli huandra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help!! z file
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:32:27 -0500

I have a compressed (i guess) file with a z extension (xxxx.z). Tried
vi, got something like : read only, imcomplete last line bla bla.
So I did chmod +w xxxx.z , and then uncompress xxxx.z , but it didn't
change anything. The z is still there, and I don't know what to do. I am
using redhat 4.2. Any help???? Thanks in advance.

rusli

------------------------------

From: Mohamad SALEH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: duplicating a whole hd
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:14:31 +0200

Thomas Schelhorn a écrit :

> Hi there!
>
> I spent several days with installing redhat 5.2 and a huge number of
> programs and tricky services on a pc. Now I've to built up exactly the
> same machines a few more times.
>
> I would like to make a kind of snapshot from the whole hd an duplicate
> it on another one (it's my master-hd and I've to boot from it).
>
> Does somebody know how to do it? Are there some programs which could
> manage this (I red something about a program called "dd" but couldn't
> find more information about it)?

I use "dd" to do the same thing. The only problem with it is that you have
to change the name and
the address of each machine later and that depends on the version.

It is mandatory to have disks "with the same geometry" if you plan to
duplicate a part of the disk
and not all of it. This is not necessary when you copy the whole disk in
spite of the error messages
that can come! The same geometry doesn't mean two disks of the same type,
capacity, ...
For example if you have two identical disks and you put one of them on
primary IDE and the
second on Secondary IDE, Linux may see them with different geometry.
Any way, you can be sure that Linux see them them the same way if they are
on the same
IDE port.

Suppose you have disks /dev/hda and /dev/hdb and you want to duplicate
/dev/hda on /dev/hdb
An example of what you can do is :

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=5244880

Please note that there is no spaces around the '=' signs. Any way to have
more information about dd
you can simply use "man dd".

------------------------------

From: Timo Korvola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SECURITY ISSUES: Single user restriction at lilo boot:
Date: 12 Jun 1999 11:56:05 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Comming to the point, How do you block the "linux single" param at boot
> up? what other work arounds can you suggest? Since these are PCs and
> have reset buttons, power cords any user can reboot the machine.

In addition to password protecting that and in fact any boot
parameters in /etc/lilo.conf I would recommend installing sulogin.  It
is a shame that there are popular Linux distribution which don't
use sulogin or even shadow passwords by default.  /etc/inittab is
configured to run sulogin instead of /bin/sh in single user mode and
sulogin prompts for the root password before giving you a shell.

Of course you also need to prevent floppy boots, changing the BIOS
setup and opening the case.  And you really should stop crossposting
to too many newsgroups.

I don't know if CODA would be better than NFS from a security point of
view (if the client machines can't be trusted).  Anybody with any
experience with CODA?

--
        Timo Korvola            <URL:http://www.iki.fi/tkorvola/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Subject: Re: Sound
Date: 12 Jun 1999 09:24:40 GMT

Dennis Barbier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I need sound support. I've got onboard sound on this computer
: I cant really give you details on the hardware. Win95 Device manager
: lists my sound chipset as a Crystal Audio PNP.

: Its on a NEC Powermate 8100. Could anyone point me in the direction of a
: driver and perhaps a HOWTO?

Find out which chip and use the appropriate crystal driver. Nothing else
needed.

bambam:/usr/oboe/ptb% /sbin/lsmod
Module         Pages    Used by
nfs               12            6 (autoclean)
3c589_cs           2            1
softdog            1            1 (autoclean)
psaux              1            1 (autoclean)
dummy0             1            0 (autoclean)
ds                 2    [3c589_cs]      2
i82365             5            2
pcmcia_core        9    [3c589_cs ds i82365]    0
serial             7            0 (autoclean)
opl3               3            0
^^^^^^^
cs4232             1            0
^^^^^^^
uart401            2    [cs4232]        0
^^^^^^^^
ad1848             4    [cs4232]        0
^^^^^^^
sound             15    [opl3 cs4232 uart401 ad1848]    0
^^^^^^
soundlow           1    [sound] 0
^^^^^^^^^
soundcore          1    [sound] 5
^^^^^^^^^^
nls_iso8859_1      1            1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437          1            1 (autoclean)
vfat               4            1 (autoclean)
fat                6    [vfat]  1 (autoclean)
nls                1    [nls_iso8859_1 nls_cp437 vfat fat]      0 (autoclean)

Just do the obvious. Load the drivers, using the options derived from
examining your windows setup. I use:

bambam:/usr/oboe/ptb% cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux bambam 2.0.36 #20 Fri Apr 30 20:41:42 CEST 1999 i586
Config options: 0

 Installed drivers:

 Card config:

 Audio devices:
 0: Crystal audio controller (CS4236) (DUPLEX)

 Synth devices:
 0: Yamaha OPL3

 Midi devices:

 Timers:
 0: System clock
 1: Crystal audio controller (CS4236)

 Mixers:
 0: Crystal audio controller (CS4236)

bambam:/usr/oboe/ptb% cat /proc/interrupts
 0:    6794464   timer
 1:       1406   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 3:     246959   3c589_cs
 5:          1   Crystal audio controller
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 8:          2 + rtc
11:          0   i82365
12:       2620   PS/2 Mouse
13:          1   math error
14:      66385 + ide0

bambam:/usr/oboe/ptb% cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0300-030f : 3c589_cs
0388-038b : Yamaha OPL3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
03c0-03df : vga+
03e0-03e1 : i82365
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
0534-0537 : Crystal audio controller
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I.e., in conf.modules:

options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1,0 mpu_base=0x330 mpu_irq=9
options opl3 io=0x388

: Any help *greatly* appreciated.

: Please reply via email.

Can't. You supplied a wrong address. DON'T DO THAT.

: Thanks!@!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: using dd
Date: 12 Jun 1999 11:34:47 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Marc Mutz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>dd if=/dev/source of=/dev/dest bs=512

Probably should up the bs to at least bs=8k for performance reasons.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 12 Jun 1999 11:39:14 +0200

In article <7jrrf5$p5j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, -ljl-  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
>Should the device be "/dev/hdc" rather than "/dev/hdc1", i.e. the whole
>disk rather than a partition?  Of course this would make a disk-image,
>I think.

Depends on if you intend to copy the entire disk; all partitions included
or jost one partition.  Also, if the disk units are very different you
might get strange results.  For example if the number of sectors per
cylinder are different and you copy from /dev/hda to /dev/hdb you'll
get a partition table on /dev/hdb which doesn't match the geometry.

Also, a dos file system contains geometry information in the first
block of a partition which need to match the destination disk unit.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Konrad Hinsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lpd won't accept print jobs from other machines
Date: 11 Jun 1999 12:08:53 +0200

I have a RedHat 5.2 system with a printer that should be available to
other machines on the network. And it works fine, except that lpd
refuses print jobs from people who do not have accounts on the print
server.

According to the Printer HowTo and the printcap man page, this behaviour
can be configured by specifying the rs attribute in /etc/printcap.
However, I do not use this attribute, and the default should be false.
Adding an explicit rs=false doesn't help either.

Is this a bug in ld?
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:44:42 +1000
From: Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Killed the ext2 superblock?

Thanks for the reply, and yes, the ext2 filesystem, not FAT.

Mick

------------------------------

From: rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: write Bat file
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:53:48 -0600

create a file that starts with
#!/bin/sh
(including the hash)

Then put a command on each line like a bat file.
Then set the execute permissions with something like chmod 755 myscript
Then run it with ./myscript.
Congratulations!  You're scripting.  Other arguments aside, UNIX kills
all versions of Windows when it comes to scripting.

rob.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Kendrick)
Subject: Linux User Group of Davis - Meeting 6/14 6:30pm - Sam Lantinga, Loki
Date: 12 Jun 1999 09:53:17 GMT

WHAT:
=====
  LUGOD: The Linux User Group of Davis

WHEN:
=====
  Monday, June 14th, 1999
  6:30pm - 9:00pm

WHERE:
======
  Denny's
  4120 Chiles Road
  Davis, CA 95616
  530-297-7000

WHY:
----
  Topics will include:

    * Introduction to new members

    * News and open forum

    * Committess:

        UCD RESNET HOWTO: Final Draft
        UCD-PPP HOWTO: Final Draft (again)
        Social Tax Exempt Group Status
        LUGOD Logo
        Ambassador to other LUGs

  Speakers:

    Sam Lantinga, "Linuxing your games"
    -----------------------------------
    Sam Lantinga ( http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/ ) is the author of
    the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library, a free multimedia
    programming library for Linux, Win32, MacOS and BeOS.

    Sam is currently the lead programmer at Loki Entertainment Software
    ( http://www.lokisoft.com/ ), the company that ported
    Activision's "Civilization: Call To Power" to the Linux platform.

    Sam has also created an encrypted IP tunnel mechanism that works over
    arbitrary TCP ports ("PPPTCP"), ported the Macintosh game "Maelstrom"
    to Win32, Linux and other Unix operating systems (as well as added
    mutli-player network code) ported "Executor," a Macintosh emulator,
    to Win32, and more.

WHO:
----
  LUGOD is open to all members of the public.

HOW:
----
  For more information about LUGOD, please visit our website:
    http://www.lugod.org/

  If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

sys (Vice Chairperson)                                          Bill Kendrick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/                   http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/

------------------------------

From: "Animal Mother" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiler problems !!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:04:06 +0200

Hi leute,
i have SuSE 6.1 (kernel 2.2.5) and i wanted to compile a new kernel, but i
got these error-messages.
*********
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fom
it-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-ju
mps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586   -c -o vm86.o vm86.c
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
make[1]: *** [vm86.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5.SuSE/arch/i386/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_arch/i386/kernel] Error 2
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline
inserted
*********

If someone knows the reason plz answer ...
THANX ,        Lukas Juszczyk

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux support applicant test needed
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:43:16 -0700

ask them what 'egrep "(^| )[\"[{(]*foo[]})\"?!.,;:'s]*( |$)" bar.txt' does.
seriously, the content of the test would be highly dependent on what
their responsibilities would be and what you use Linux for.  For
example, I'd be qualified for nfs, yp, anf httpd stuff but definitely
shouldn't be trusted to build a firewall.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: awe32 prob
Date: 10 Jun 1999 08:38:10 -0700

I think it's time that I resume work on my 'Hacker Dude' lex filter....
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Telnet monitor
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:57:46 -0700

bletch!  the auth keyword will do this for syslogd--see 'man 5 syslog.cong'.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'top' is bottomles - ???
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:21:51 -0700

you can toggle who is shown with a 'u'.  Also, 'W' writes an rc file--perhaps
redhat installs one from '/etc/skel'?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:15:29 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **) writes:

> The issue is not with Microsoft (indeed, generally) *technical* people, and
> I can speak directly from my experience of 30+ years with this. It's with a
> predatory white-collar criminal class of management and marketdroid lackeys
> who *knowingly* cross the line from competitive business tactics to illegal
> business monopolies and price-fixing.
I've never quite understood this though.  Take something simple like windows'
broken TCP implementation that never sends  the final ACK when closing
a connection (thereby leaving the host waiting around for it and wasting
resources).  Did some manager actually say "nice job on the TCP stuff
Bob, but it would be better if you broke the protocol somehow in order to
screw with the Unix  machines we'll be connecting to?"  I mean, there are
really only two possible explanations for things like this: a) the programmers
are completely incompetent or b) the situation is how you describe it.  I
refuse to believe that a) would be the case with MS...
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux
Date: 10 Jun 1999 08:14:24 -0700

"Todd K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've dabbled in Linux before (then I moved to Singapore).  I'm thinking
> about getting back into it.
I knew there was no chewing-gum in Singapore, but no linux either?

> I currently use NT (please no flames -- I like NT and use it everyday).
we all have our faults.

> 1)  Can I use Linux on the PowerMac G3's??  You know, the really cool
> designer boxes?  Do I have to remove the Mac OS or can I use it in
> conjunction with?  Any info on Mac OS X??  Any good?
there's a collection of links off of www.linux.org concerning the the G3--
it seemed like things were much farther along than i had assumed.

> 2) What is the best browser for Linux?  I assume this is Netscape.
there are a few browsers, but netscape is fairly ubiquitous.  personally,
i can't wait for the opera port (it's coming).

>What is
> the latest version for Linux, and what JavaScript version does it currently
> support?  1.1?  1.2?  DHTML support?
I think it's 4.5[1,2]...not sure about the other stuff.

> Currently, IE5 has the best JavaScript support and DHTML support (even
> though the DHTML extensions aren't standard -- but neither are Netscape's)
> Hurry up W3C!!
>
> I need to support IE4+ and Netscape 4.0+ for our web application.  Is the
> object model under Linux/Netscape different than under Windows?  I know that
> it is different (slightly) under IE4+ for the Mac. when compared to IE4+ for
> Windows.
All I know is that the web guys I work with spend most of their time coding
around all of the incompatibilities between and within the browsers.
productivity apps. indeed!

> 4)  Graphic cards, sound cards.
>
> Is the Soundblaster Live and Voodoo3 cards fully supported under Linux?  NT
> supports these 100% with all of their features.  I'd like to be able to use
> these two cards under Linux...  Alternatively, if the Voodoo3 isn't
> supported, I could buy a Riva TNT2 card... is that supported?
All three are supported AFAIK.  If you want to use high-end video cards,
you're better off buying a commercial X server in my opinion (Xi or MetroX).

> 5)  Printer support.
>
> I'd like to be able to use the HP Deskjet 89x series under Linux.  Again, NT
> supports 100% of the printing functionality (which is quite good :)
Is it a "Win printer"?  If so, you should have never purchased it...otherwise,
yes.

> Does Linux support this printer?  If not, what about the HP Laserjet 1100*
> series?
As long as it's a real printer, it's generally supported.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WordPerfect as System Freezer!
Date: 10 Jun 1999 08:41:57 -0700

the machine hasn't locked up--login from another machine and kill the Xserver.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Christopher Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc vs Microsoft and Borland
Date: 10 Jun 1999 08:27:57 -0700

"Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It also raises the question: If Watcom and GCC cannot beat MS what
> optimizations for Intel CPUs does MS know about that us mortals do not?
I don't know if it's that simple though.  It seems like the gcc people understand
that there's more to a compiler than the speed of the object code it creates. I
haven't used MS stuff for a few years, but from what I remember the error
messages (to take just one example) really sucked.  And about the only
machine I can't use gcc on around me make coffee...
-ckm