From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing two pages on one
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:16:34 +0200

>Iīd like my printer (epson using ghostscript) to print a postscript file
>two pages on one (like many postscript printer support).  Unfortunately
>I donīt have such a printer. Is there any possibility to do so?
maybe ps2ps (imho included within suse) should do the job

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
Subject: voice recognition on Linux.
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:00:07 GMT

Can someone tell me kind of voice recognition software is out there
for Linux?

------------------------------

From: Jack Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NTFS not supported in kernel?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:04:05 -0400

Rebuild the kernel. Read only is good way to handle NTFS partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Quinn)
Subject: Re: Netscape not connecting to the Internet
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:01:34 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:37:48 +0200, "Gero H. Marten"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gero I did what you said. I put the lines

search freeserve.co.uk
nameserver 195.92.177.3

I ran SuSEconfig. When I try to enter the proxy settings
I get an error message saying it can not find the server or
something like that, everytime I try to ok the settings.

Also I can still get the same error messages when trying to
go to a web site.

The proxy settings I tried to get netscape to except were

HTTP: http://www-cache.freeserve.net           PORT: 8080

FTP: http://www-cache.freeserve.net               PORT: 8080

GOPHER: http://www-cache.freeserve.net    PORT: 8080

In Windows95 I can connect to freeserve without proxy settings
and ip 195.92.177.3, so I can't see why I need these settings for
Netscape in SUSE linux 6.1.

regards

John

------------------------------

From: Raffaello Brecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what is the largest partition Linux file system can handle?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:01:31 +0200

HI !

ken@y wrote:

> trying again. never got any answer on this yet.
>
> Any one knows what is the largest partition Linux ext2 can handle?
>
> I've created a 37GB single partition on an IDE drive (new IBM drive).
> mkfs works fine. it creates it OK, I can mount it OK, etc..
>
> But every time I reboot, I get errors on that fs (missing inodes, or
> duplicate something, etc), running fsck on it does not help, only
> way to reboot is to go to /etc/fstab and remove it.
>
> Then tried 2 partitions on the same disk. 18.5 GB each. All OK now.
>
> so, any one knows of linux limitation for size of partition? why ext2
> failes to mount a 37 GB partition but not 18 GB one?
>
> this is using SUSE 6.1, kernel 2.2.5

I got similar problems using a 25GB IDE-disk. I tried to backup
a Soft-Raid mountpoint from our fileserver which has about 24GB of
diskspace. So i used another computer with this single 25GB disk to
backup all data over the network. When i came back late night the
computer with the single backup disk wasnīt alive anymore. Itīs last
words mumbled something about no free buffers for i-nodes or something
similar. So I added some swap-space (it hasnīt had swap before ...
NFS-root system) and started the backup again after re-mke2fsīing the
IDE-disk.
Next morning this machine was dead again. After some testing i learned,
that this kernel (linux-2.1.105) wasnīt able do deal with more than 18GB
on a single disk , no matter how much RAM+swap and how many bytes per
i-node on the ext2 ...
strange, because our Fileserver (which i tried to backup) has several
4GB SCSI-disks as one huge Software-RAID of 24GB at usage-rates of
about 90% ... and no problems at all !

--
Raffaello Brecht
FON: 05361 / 9-36882

------------------------------

From: Raffaello Brecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cross-compilation of kernel
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:16:41 +0200

Jean-Yves Simon wrote:

> Hello,
> In order to save some room on my laptop, I's like to
> remove the source of the kernel and build it on
> my desktop machine (where I have more room).
> The problem is that I don't know how to proceed.
> I can see how to do it for vmlinuz, but how do
> I proceed for modules. I have different hardware
> to support. For instance, I have a pcmcia card
> in my laptop not in my desktop. The sound hardware
> is also different between my desktop and my laptop.
> Should I go for a monolithic kernel for the laptop ?
> I need in this case to maintain 2 config files, correct ?
>
> Any help will be appreciated .

No Problem @all ... just build your laptop-kernel, make
your modules, move the "desktop"-modules outta your way
(/lib/modules/$KERNVER) ... letīs say move the to /tmp
make modules_install in the laptop-tree kern and create
a tarball of whatīs sitting in /lib/modules/ . Then
remove these modules again and restore your "desktop"-
modules from /tmp to /lib/modules/. Beware of rebooting
or doing an depmod on your Desktop-computer !!! This would
break dependecies to your current desktop-kernel why its
modules are in /tmp !!!
so ... now youīve got the modules ready to unpack them
on your laptop in /lib/modules.
Of course there are several ways to go :) i.e. have a look
at the "modules"-tree in your kernelsrc-root. There are
all modules as symlinks and some files (in capital-
letters). you can write a (shell-)script wich creates the
tree of "installed" modules and then rolls a tarball.
HINT: look @ the file names in CAPITAL letters and the
directory-names in /lib/modules.

Hoffe geholfen zu haben ... und das auf englisch ...
HUELFE ! :)

--
Raffaello Brecht
FON: 05361 / 9-36882

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.install
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:38:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sethuraman Baranidharan) writes:

>Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work,
              ^^^^^^^^^^

Winmodem. Hopeless.

>but keep hearing
>that some of them do.

[...]

>how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!

[...]

Go ISDN ?

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Klaus Leopold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Video-Beamer and Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:12:43 +0200

Hello!

We want to do a presentation with StarOffice on our Sharp XG - NV 5 XE
Video-Beamer. Our problem is that we can=B4t get the Video-Beamer to work=
=2E
If Linux is in TextMode (by starting) it works fine. If I start the
XServer, the Beamer can=B4t get a signal. The Beamer is connected to a
Laptop.

I=B4ve tried to configure different monitors in SAX but I wasn=B4t
successful. Is there someone who knows what I should do??

Many thanks in advance, Klaus.....

-- =

Klaus Leopold
University Klagenfurt
Institute of Information Technology   Tel: ++43(0)463/2700-863
Research group: Systemintegration     Fax: ++43(0)463/2700-867

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://colossus.itec.uni-klu.ac.at/~klaus

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS upgrade needs DOS(??)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:16:43 +1200

Except that the Win9x CDROM is not bootable -- :(
Real operating systems come with bootable CDROMS!!

cll

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:24:05 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman) wrote:
>>My point was that he's added even more pointless and obscure things to C++
>>such as reference variables. What the hells the point of those when you
>>already have pointers?
>
>References are extremely important for use with operator overloading
>and templates.  I'll moan about operator overloading later; the use of
>templates and generic programming is quite possibly the most powerful
>and farthest-reaching use of the C++ language, and the absence of
>reference variables would weaken templates to the point of near-uselessness.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I've used templates
many a time without a sniff of a reference variable.

>C++ I/O is considerably more powerful and less error-prone than the
>various C equivalents.  It provides a number of capabilities that are
>extremely difficult to engineer code for in C:
>
>- type-safe I/O

If you want a typesafe language don't use a typed one. Besides which you'll
soon know if you've sent the wrong type to printf/scanf.

>- I/O of user-defined types is syntactically equivalent to that of
>  builtin types

And fprintf and sprintf arn't syntactically equivalent to printf?

>- redirecting I/O to user-created data sinks / data sources is
>  syntactically identical to I/O builtin data sinks/streams

Ah , so fprintf(file_ptr,"...  is different to fprintf(stdout,"..." ?

>- facilitated error checking, including delaying error checking/reporting

So wrap printf etc in a wrapper function.

>impossible to engineer in any maintainable manner - a few short lines of
>code can redirect output of an array of user-defined types to a pipe,
>string, network socket, or serial port, utterly impossible in C without
>major reengineering, after which you'd get a set of functions and structs

And where does the code in C++ to do this come from? The tooth fairy? You
still have to write it yourself just in a different part of the code.
Admittedly a lot of C++ I/O is already set up but thats more to do with
libraries than the language itself. Theres nothing stopping anyone writing
equivalent libraries in C which could be called by other C coders.

>Operator overloading is, in a sense, an unfortunate part of the C language,

Excuse me? Sure C has some operator overloading but no user defined stuff
which exacerbates the problem.

>What if there were a class where those member functions would make more
>sense in another context?  Perhaps a PhotoCopier object that had a member
>function to make a copy of a piece of paper rather than a copy of the
>object.  The best member function name has been taken by the language.

There could always be a way of over overiding it or maybe a keyword that
declares the function to be the constructor etc so allowing it to have any
name.

>Using the class name as the name of the constructor seems like a perfectly
>suitable decision to me.  Given that the tilde symbol is a commonly used

Not to me , you end up with the class name being splatted all over the class
definition making reading it rather hard.

NJR

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP PPA printer language, Liunux supported???
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:26:18 GMT

I have an HP 712 C that uses the PPA, and it works beautifully under
Linux using the pbm2ppa filter, except... no color. Yet. The author
seems to think he'll have color implemented fairly soon, though.

- Steve

Jeff PIerce wrote:

> I am going to buy a new printer and while looking for the bang-for-buck
> winner I discovered that HP now had a new language called "Printing
> Performance Architecture". Which, as I understand it, is like
> Win-modems. They took the "building the dot matrix" out of the printer
> and put the job on the processor.. Ie. make the printer cheaper.... No
> PCL
>
> Now the question, what about Linux??? Ghostscript?? and just plain
> printing text, ie. no filters, just send an ASCII char to the printer???
>
> --
> Jeff Pierce

Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: shellscript: i need a tmp filename how get a unique one ?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 11:33:21 GMT

man 1 mktemp
and you will receive enlightment

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: hardware compression with DAT drive?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 11:41:09 GMT

WHen I use a Solaris box at work I can get HW compression
from a 4mm DAT drive using a different tape device.  How
does one do this under linux?  I just got a 4mm drive at
a flea market and am experimenting with it.  Thanks!

--
Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dial-in server config problem
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:26:37 GMT

   Thanks for the info.  I just tried that and it still won't answer
the phone.  Would you mind posting the line from your inittab that you
use to start uugetty and your conf.uugetty.ttyS1 file?

   Thanks again for the assist.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim Ridenour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :   I'm trying to set up my RH Linux 5.0 server for dial-in.  The
> : problem is it won't answer the phone.  Here is a run down of what
I've

=============================
==============================

From: "Duncan B. Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.install
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:42:11 -0400

==============19838FE17FF6C9A3481EBF94

Try disabling the Com port in the BIOS, to see if Linux can set it up properly
 Sethuraman Baranidharan wrote:

> Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but keep hearing
> that some of them do.
>
> (Yes, I have seen http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and it didnt help me,
>sorry).
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.
>
> Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
>
> "BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE ID 0440 IRQ 5."
>
> Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I  look into dmesg and see
>
> Probing PCI hardware.
> Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 349.80 BogoMIPS
> Memory: 127776k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved, 2164k data)
> Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
> NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
> Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
> IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
> Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
> VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
> Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
> Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
> Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
> Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
> tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
> Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
> ...etc
> ________________________________________ENd OF DMESG___________________
>
> /proc/pci  contains
>
> PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF (rev 1)
>   Medium devsel  fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable no bursts
>   Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,  Non prefethcable 32 bit memory at 0xe8101000.
>
> I started xwindows, used modemtool and pointed /dev/modem to  COM3.
>
> Then setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16550A port 3e8 irq 5. (I also tried ttyS2 and
> the result was the same).
>
> Started netcfg and setup correct ip numbers etc. Now "activate" command
> does not lift and dial. Nothing happens.
>
> Then I went into /var/log/messages and saw that the error was in 'chat'.
> Simply 'alarm' 'failed' and 'exit'. Basically there is no dialog between
> the system and the modem.
>
> I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
> #trying some address
> #no boards
>
> I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup and noticed
> PnP disabled there).
>
> Any suggestions?  Would help if you give a step by step instruction on
> how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!
>
> Thanks
>
> -Barani

ned!

==============19838FE17FF6C9A3481EBF94

<HTML>
Try disabling the Com port in the BIOS, to see if Linux can set it up properly
<BR>&nbsp;Sethuraman Baranidharan wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know
it may not work, but keep hearing
<BR>that some of them do.
<P>(Yes, I have seen <A
HREF="http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html">http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html</A>
and it didnt help me, sorry).
<P>Here is the situation:
<P>In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.
<P>Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
<P>"BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE
ID 0440 IRQ 5."
<P>Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I&nbsp; look into dmesg and see
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<P>Probing PCI hardware.
<BR>Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 349.80 BogoMIPS
<BR>Memory: 127776k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved,
2164k data)
<BR>Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
<BR>NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
<BR>Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
<BR>IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
<BR>Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
<BR>VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
<BR>Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
<BR>Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
<BR>Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
<BR>Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
<BR>Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
<BR>tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
<BR>tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
<BR>PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
<BR>Adding Swap: 128484k swap-space (priority -1)
<BR>...etc
<BR>________________________________________ENd OF DMESG___________________
<P>/proc/pci&nbsp; contains
<P>PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF
(rev 1)
<BR>&nbsp; Medium devsel&nbsp; fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable
no bursts
<BR>&nbsp; Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,&nbsp; Non prefethcable 32 bit memory
at 0xe8101000.
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<P>I started xwindows, used modemtool and pointed /dev/modem to&nbsp; COM3.
<P>Then setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16550A port 3e8 irq 5. (I also tried ttyS2
and
<BR>the result was the same).
<P>Started netcfg and setup correct ip numbers etc. Now "activate" command
<BR>does not lift and dial. Nothing happens.
<P>Then I went into /var/log/messages and saw that the error was in 'chat'.
<BR>Simply 'alarm' 'failed' and 'exit'. Basically there is no dialog between
<BR>the system and the modem.
<P>I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
<BR>#trying some address
<BR>#no boards
<P>I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup
and noticed
<BR>PnP disabled there).
<P>Any suggestions?&nbsp; Would help if you give a step by step instruction
on
<BR>how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another
modem"!
<P>Thanks
<P>-Barani
<BR>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
ned!</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: "Mingxiao Dou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,net.computers.os.unix.linux
Subject: Re: Compile Kernel with ROOT NFS support... - fail
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:56:42 +1000

Tried "make config" with /usr/src/linux as current directory ?

news:7ptd2h$bg2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jacek M. Holeczek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ppp problems with some utilities
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:50:19 +0200

Hi,
I have (at home) a small RH 5.2/i386 system. The system starts with
runlevel 5 (xdm login window). I login into this machine and then, from
inside of an xterm, I connect to my ISP provider using /usr/sbin/usernetctl.
Each time I connect I get another IP address (and another hostname).
In the beginning my machine had no hostname (it was localhost.localdomain).
The result was that after the ppp0 was up, both the IP address and name
were changed, and I could not start new X applications any more, as the
.Xauthority file did not contain an entry for the NEW hostname ( it was
even impossible to use xauth ... ).
Then I changed the hostname to "blah.blah.blah.blah" ( it is not the
localhost.localdomain any more ), and after the ppp0 is up only the IP
address gets changed, the hostname remains. Most of applications work now,
but ... unfortunately, "blah.blah.blah.blah" is NOT a DNS registered name,
and as a result ... some utilities that internally need to resolve the IP
address from the hostname fail to work.
Does anyone know any good solution ?
Thanks in advance,
Jacek.