Linux-Misc Digest #598, Volume #18               Wed, 13 Jan 99 10:13:52 EST

Contents:
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (BobO)
  Re: 2038 and Linux (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (BobO)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (JAD)
  XGalaga works as root, but not a user. (Joseph Kelch)
  Re: Linux v2.1.132 and 2940U/UW Scsi boot problems? (Dave Campbell)
  Re: newest devel kernel 2.3.0? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: help with afterstep & RedHat 5.1 (Kiefers Dream)
  samba automount? install suid? (steve mcadams)
  No space left on device--NOT! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  infinite loop with nfs? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  netscape plugin (Antal Tamas)
  network gateway? (Robert Canright)
  Re: How to print a man page? (Jim Shaffer, Jr.)
  Re: editing lilo.conf and making the change stick (David Steuber)
  Re: kernel 2.0.36 installation (Michael Powe)
  Re: What the f@#$ck is wrong with SSC ??? (Michael Powe)
  Re: ethernet install problems (Scallica)
  Re: kernel 2.0.36 installation (Michael Powe)
  Compiling Qt library 1.42 (free version) (David Martin)
  Terrible partitions problem (Michael Numminen)
  Which version (Vasilis Serghi)
  Which version (Vasilis Serghi)
  Re: Sound working - finally! (Larry)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BobO)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 13 Jan 1999 12:04:20 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 03:45:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David H. McCoy)
said:

|>This means that the monopoly of Windows on the desktop has harmed me
|>both in a home context and in a business context.
|>

|This means that Apple and OS/2 both failed to compete properly and lost
|customers accordingly.

I think there is a trial going on to determine if it was proper or
not.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: 13 Jan 1999 02:23:09 GMT

On 08 Jan 1999 18:27:40 -0500, Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>of course, the PPro was supposed to be the last x86 chip.  and then the PII
>was supposed to be the last x86 chip - until just recently intel seems to
>have announced the PIII chips (heard it on slashdot).
>
>until winXXXX is ported to merced (or whatever it ends up being called) i
>highly doubt they'll stop making more and more expensive versions of their
>#1 cash cow.

Until Intel *stops making money* on IA-32 chips, they are unlikely to
stop making them.  Consider that they still manufacture 8 bit
microcontrollers.

It seems highly improbable that Intel will even start to "stop caring"
about IA-32 sales until 2002 or 2003 at the *earliest.*

--
if (argc > 1 && strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0) {
  printf("Don't Panic!\n");

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BobO)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 13 Jan 1999 12:08:08 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:46:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David H. McCoy)
said:

|>>And for the people that are?
|>>
|>>An OS should not crash...ever.
|>
|>In case it wasn't clear, my original post was not defending (or pro-) MS.
|>And I agree with you that a *real* OS shouldn't crash.
|>
|>But I think it is pretty clear that if you are using Win9x/NT, you
|>aren't doing anything critical.
|>

|Only about 8 days into the new year and this comment takes the lead in
|the narrowminded post race.

Actually the wording would have been better if he had said, But I
think it is pretty clear that you would not be in a right mind if you
were trying to do anything that is critical you stay up and running
using Win9x/NT.  I am sure lots of critical work gets done on both
systems, but stability may not be the critical factor.

------------------------------

From: JAD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:50:06 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <76tk66$gf4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Alot of people wrote:  Linux Rules, Linux Sux, Linux will win, MS will win.
>
> Well, I skipped most of them because I've been spending the last week getting
> situated in school for my first semester here, and I don't care to read 300
> posts that effectively can be summed up in the second line of this post.
>
> I will have my say on the subject though.(and most of it may have been said
> already)
>
> Bill Gates is indeed a genius.  Bill Gates is THE Man, if I could be like
> anybody when I 'grow up', it would be Bill.
>
> Bill Gates is the Ultimate Businessman.  Period, you cannot argue that

Whether Bill Gates is the ultimate businessman or not I don't know -
maybe
this Microsoft show isn't really his doing, but rather the work of his
adviser. I don't think you and I are in a position to determine this. He
has had success in his business, obviously, at least if success is
limited
to mean 'hoarding a lot of money'. But this may be like saying that
'Hitler
was the ultimate war lord' because he had a lot of military success -
now
we know something about that ended, and what is really left of his
success?
(NB: I'm not here comparing the person Hitler with the person Bill
Gates!)

And I don't think Gates is a genius either. Genius is more than just
being
an intelligent opportunist - think about eg Einstein. He was obviously
very
intelligent, but maybe not as much as eg. Bohr or a lot of others - but
he
was able to edge his way past the limitations in the model of the world
that
he had learned and accepted as true, to find a solution that in fact is
surprisingly simple, even if most of us find it difficult to understand.

Gates, on the other hand, has not achieved his success by other means
than
the traditional - after all, his trick is just to sell SW in the same
way
you sell shampoo and other luxury items. This is not genius, just bad
moral.

/jan

------------------------------

From: Joseph Kelch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XGalaga works as root, but not a user.
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:28:15 -0500

Anyone seen this behavior?  XGalaga runs fine as a root user, but when
I log in to a user account, it starts okay but closes as soon as a
bullet hits an alien thingy.  RH5.1, S3V video on XFree 3.3.2.

--
Joseph Kelch

From: Dave Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux v2.1.132 and 2940U/UW Scsi boot problems?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:22:00 -0700

On 8 Jan 1999, M Sweger wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       Has anybody gotten Linux v2.1.132 working with the Scsi 2940U/UW Dual
> adapter with SCSI Bios v1.33S2 and a 9.1Gig Western Digital hard drive?
> Presently, I'm using DosLinux (the latest) and on bootup, the SCSI card
> seems to be recognized for SCSIDs configurations (such as terminations)
> and interrupts, but hangs forever and never sees the 9.1Gig WD hard drive
> on SCSID0. Are there still problems with the 2940 SCSI driver?
> The SCSI card has the AIC 7895 chipset too.

snip

I had the same problem with a 2940UW I bought about 6-7 weeks ago.  What
ever the current 2.1 series kernel was at that time wouldn't boot with the
scsi card in, got into an endless timeout-reset loop.   I wrung my hands
for about 2 weeks then upped the kernel to 2.1.34 and have had nothing but
joy since.  I'm not really sure about what kernel versions did and didn't
work with the 2940UW, but the point is a move up to the latest (2.2pre5 as
of now) may be all you need.

Dave Campbell
Raytheon Missile Systems Co.
Tucson AZ, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
520-794-4879

------------------------------

Subject: Re: newest devel kernel 2.3.0?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 21:33:58 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:

> On 06 Jan 1999 20:53:05 -0500, Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >where is the newest devel kernel 2.3.0?  i see 2.2.0pre4 is out but
> >where do i go for the bleeding edge?
>
> You won't find it until there is a "2.2.0" version that omits the "pre"
> stuff.
>
> In effect, 2.2.0pre[most-recent] *is* the "bleeding edge" right
> now.

some bleeding edge.  i haven't been oopsed by it.  i haven't had it
trash my filesystem.  it hasn't frozen or deadlock or any of a number
of things i've come to want in a devel kernel.  i guess for that i'll
just have to go back to the masters, microsoft.

--
Johan Kullstam [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Don't Fear the Penguin!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kiefers Dream)
Subject: Re: help with afterstep & RedHat 5.1
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:11:16 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:39:36 -0700, JaWz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm having a heck of a time trying to get afterstep 1.6.6 installed. My
>RedHat came with afterstep 1.4. I "upgraded" the rpm with the 1.6.6 but
>then I couldn't get it to run. "startx" boots up with the AnotherLevel
>manager, I select afterstep from the WM style and the machines acts like
>it's going to reset but anotherlevel just shows back up. If I reinstall
>afterstep 1.4 from the CD it works fine.
>I did manage to install afterstep 1.5 (beta) from RedHat's 5.2 directory
>(actually forced the install) but still the same problem trying to
>upgrade to 1.6.6
>Thanks for any help, (I've only been running Linux for about two weeks!)

Same problem here JaWz. Let me know if you solve it and I will do
likewise.
It is to do with the newer versions of AfterStep installing in
different directories /usr/local/bin and usr/local/share/afterstep
rather than the older /usr/share/afterstep and usr/X11R6/bin/ dir's.

I have been playing with several files that involve starting X on my
system like my .Xclients in /etc/X11/xinit/ and inserting the above
dir's in my path but I haven't solved it yet.

P.

--
Please remove X from email address when replying.

"Lets raise a glass of milk to the end of another day"
Gord Downie http://www.thehip.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: samba automount? install suid?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:17:50 GMT

I have samba working to the point where my NT4 and Linux systems can
see each others' files and the permissions seem to be working.

Now I'd like to automate smbmount for the two NT4 shares that I'm
using on my Linux system.

The smbmount man-page said normal users could smbmount if smbmount was
"installed suid root".  It sounds like this means the smbmount
executable runs as root, but I can't find how to make smbmount suid
root.  What command is used for that?

And where would I place the smbmount and smbumount commands so that
the NT shares would be mounted at system startup?  Thanks.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: No space left on device--NOT!
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:56:13 GMT

I've been running Slackware 3.5 for a few months on a Western Digital
8 Gig AC38400L.  Most of this was configured as a 6 GB filesystem.
About a month ago, errors started cropping up.  At bootup, fsck would
complain that the filesystem contained errors.  Despite running fs2ck
in single user mode, the disk continued to deteriorate.  I thought
the problem might be some huge (> 3000 files) directories on that
filesystem, so I backed everything up, repartitioned the disk into
a bunch of 2 GB fs's, and tried to resotre from tape.  Before restoring
more than 300 files to one of the big dirs, I got 'No space left on
device', and messages about 'free blocks count corrupted'.  According to
df, less than 10% of the disk was actually used, and this corresponded
roughly to how long the tape (8mm) had run.  (Tar was used for backup)  Also,
errors started to appear on the root filesystem.  badblocks -w was
showing a lot of bad blocks, so I sent the disk in for replacement.

Meanwhile, I slid in a SCSI dri

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: infinite loop with nfs?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:58:17 GMT

OK this one is keeping me up at night...

Let's say that user A who lives in frodo.com nfs mounts a drive belonging to
user B at hermes.com.  Locally, for user A, all of user B's drive is
available under /mnt/hermes.  Now let's pretend that user B decides to nfs
mount user A's drive on /mnt/frodo.  For user B, all of user A's drive
(including /mnt/hermes) is available under /mnt/frodo.  Now, let's further
pretend that user B does an ls -R on /mnt/frodo.  This will eventually reach
the directory on frodo /mnt/hermes which will of course list all of user B's
local drive, INCLUDING /mnt/frodo !!!  And so on and so forth as nauseam.  Is
this a valid conclusion? Will there really be an infinite filesystem?  Have
the authorities been notified? Has this been asked before? Am I an idiot?
Will I ever get over that damn Regina?  Does anything really matter?

Any answers or insults are PRE-APPRECIATED at a low 7.9% APR !!!

-that's me

From: Antal Tamas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape plugin
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:53:04 -0500

Hi,

may someone send me his/her .netscape/plugin-list file. I do not know
anything about its format and I have not found anythig valuable so far.

    Thaks, Tamas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Canright)
Subject: network gateway?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:54:19 GMT

I'm installing an ethernet card into a PC running Redhat Linux.
I'm trying to hook it up to our network at work. On my Sun workstation
I enter
   netstat -rn
and one of the entry lines says:
device     gateway
=============================
stuff        IP address
default    number.num.num.1

I am guessing that the "default" lline is the "Gateway", am I right?

A friend of mine says I should enter
  ifconfig -a
and the last IP address, ending in .255, is the Gateway.
He said Gateway  IP addresses always end in .255

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
  Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Shaffer, Jr.)
Subject: Re: How to print a man page?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:08:40 GMT

There's a way to do it with one of the *roff programs, but I don't remember it
and I'm not on Linux right now.  What I used to do in school, pre-Linux, was
"man ipfwadmin | colcrt - | lpr" (yes, that's a "-" after "colcrt").  I assume
Linux has colcrt, but I can't check right now.  It won't give you boldface or
underlines or anything like that, but it will render it printable.

--
"Withdraw in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."  --R.E.M.

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: editing lilo.conf and making the change stick
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:27:30 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) writes:

-> What's the command for making any changes to lilo.conf stay?  If you
-> edit the file and do not run this command, they don't take.  Any help
-> would be cool...thx...

You do save the file, right?

After editing lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel 2.0.36 installation
Date: 12 Jan 1999 20:44:06 -0800

    Frank> How come it is that when ever I compile my kernel right now
    Frank> 2.0.36 It never loads the modules? I follow the directions
    Frank> just like they say but it will never load the modules?

What is your procedure for building?  Do you have insmod running in
your init scripts to load the modules?  Or, do you have kerneld loaded
to load/unload modules on demand?

    Frank> I am running a stock system. Just finished installing after
    Frank> my failed attempts at 2.2.0pre6. *Boy that was a nightmare*

    Frank> What does it take to get a kernel to compile and run on a
    Frank> RH 5.2 system?

I wish you the best.  That's why I dumped Really Horrible and switched
to Slackware.  After my "upgrade" to RH 5.2, I was lucky to be able to
compile "#include <stdio.h> int main { printf("hello, world.\n");
return 0; }. "

    Frank> Also does the System.map sym link update itself? Or do I
    Frank> have to delete it and make a new one to my newly created
    Frank> System.map file everytime I compile the kernel?

System.map should be the one created when you compile your new
kernel.  Here's my 9 steps to a perfect build:

1. unpack in /usr/src
2. make config
3. make dep
4. make modules
5. make modules_install
6. make zImage -- to get a compressed kernel
7. mv arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-<kernel number>
   mv System.map /boot/System.map-<kernel number>
8. cd /boot
   ln -s vmlinuz-<kernel number> vmlinuz
   ln -s System.map-<kernel number> System.map
9. run lilo -- must be in /boot when doing this

The basic thing I like about this setup is it allows me to keep a
"backup" kernel in case my newest compile is a blunder; and I can try
out new features and just switch back to my regular kernel when I
don't like them.

mp

 76 --> cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.0-pre6 (root@trollope) (gcc version egcs-2.90.29
980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)) #2 Tue Jan 12 01:43:41 PST 1999

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

- --
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org
                         Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What the f@#$ck is wrong with SSC ???
Date: 12 Jan 1999 20:56:08 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Re: ethernet install problems
Date: 13 Jan 1999 05:10:01 GMT

>I click on "interfaces".  I do an "add" to add interface eth0, but the
>last item on the right  inactive/active, I cannot get it to stay
>active.  I highlight the eth0 line, click on the "activate" button,
>the display toggles to say it's now active, I save the settings and
>reboot the machine, bring the window for network configuration back up
>and I see that the device interface is inactive again.

Hey,

      I had the same exact problem. That means that your eth0 configuration is
messed up. Did you disable the PnP on the card (using the dos disk provided)
before you installed linux??
     What you have to do is disable PnP,  get the irq and i/o for the card, and
enter it manually in the diagnosis program. Then linux
should get along with it.

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 22:27:23 -0800

    Frank> How come it is that when ever I compile my kernel right now
    Frank> 2.0.36 It never loads the modules? I follow the directions
    Frank> just like they say but it will never load the modules?

    Michael> What is your procedure for building?  Do you have insmod
    Michael> running in your init scripts to load the modules?  Or, do
    Michael> you have kerneld loaded to load/unload modules on demand?

    Frank> I am running a stock system. Just finished installing after
    Frank> my failed attempts at 2.2.0pre6. *Boy that was a nightmare*

    Frank> What does it take to get a kernel to compile and run on a
    Frank> RH 5.2 system?

    Michael> I wish you the best.  That's why I dumped Really Horrible
    Michael> and switched to Slackware.  After my "upgrade" to RH 5.2,
    Michael> I was lucky to be able to compile "#include <stdio.h> int
    Michael> main { printf("hello, world.\n"); return 0; }. "

Yes, of course, that <should> be "#include <stdio.h> int main() {

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Martin)
Subject: Compiling Qt library 1.42 (free version)
Date: 13 Jan 1999 10:29:30 GMT

I tried compiling the Qt library (downloaded from Linuxberg) but kept getting
unresolved symbols and suchlike in the application example.

Does anyone have any hints as to how to get this to compile as I need it to
compile Killustrator and a few other things?

System: SuSE 5.3 with kernel 2.0.36
Compile option linux-g++-shared

..d

------------------------------

From: Michael Numminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Terrible partitions problem
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:28:14 +0100

Hi again!

I have NT 4.0 on the first partition. I had before a second partitions
NT 4.0 which is now removed, I think its /dev/hda5 becaus the disk size
is
equal.

    /dev/hda1   Boot   Primary        DOS FAT16 [NO NAME    ]    1539.57
    /dev/hda5          Logical        DOS FAT16 (big)
535.50
    /dev/hda6          Logical        Linux                       941.07
    /dev/hda3          Primary        Linux Swap                   63.00

I use the procedure below to add this removed partition to linux.

In fdisk I delete /dev/hda5 with the "d" command, then create new linux
partition with "n" command. I choice logical type (becous I want use
this
space to applications) and where it's should start and where it's end
should be, I select the numbers of cylinders what fdisk recomended.
This partition should be exactly in middle of two another partitions.

When I entered p command I could notice that /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6
changes
size so /dev/hda5 get the /dev/hda6 size and /dev/hda6 get the /dev/hda5
size.

After I done all this I use "w" command to save the new configuration.
Fdisk
recommende me to reboot, which I done. But now when my pc rebooting I
get the
following message:

[MS-DOS... something
Transaction block size = 512
something...
something...
something...
Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:06

What happen? Have I crashed my hd? How can I make it to work again?
Please help me someone I really have panic now...

Thanks!

// Miche

------------------------------

From: Vasilis Serghi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which version
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:25:54 +0000

Hi all, I'm getting very anti Win 95 at the moment, and have been
considering getting a Lynux OS. This whole thing is very new to me. I
understand that there are different variants of the Unix OS, such as
S.U.S.E and Red Hat etc. I bought a mag which had the SUSE OS on the
cover disk, although I read that the Red Hat version is easier to
install.

What are the differences between these variants and which is better
suited for a complete novice.

Any help is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound working - finally!
Date: 12 Jan 1999 16:10:03 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:39:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>   It seems I missed a conflict when I checked DMA and IRQs
>>   My network card and the sound card MIDI chip were both using address 0x300
>
>glad to hear its working now.
>
>question - with a running linux system - is there a utility
>which will tell me more about what hardware is using what
>DMA and IRQs?

cat /proc/dma
cat /proc/interrupts