From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Microcom Modem-Linux 2.2 problem
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:16:11 GMT

Previously I had no problem with the modem using network manager or kppp
to connect to internet.

Now that I upgraded to RH6.0 (from 5.2) I cant get connected at correct
speed.

I have always had the speed set to 38000 bps, and
the modem still connected in 33600 bps. Now after the upgrate the
modem connection is terrible slow, about 200bytes/sec.

Can it be that the new kernel have a problem with my microcom deskporte
S modem, or are all modems treated in a standard way?

Has anyone had this problem, and/or know of a solution ?

From: Brad Ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache .htaccess problem (dbmmanage not working)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:36:19 GMT

Brad Ball wrote:

> I am running RedHat 5.2 and Apache 1.3.6 (compiled from source). I am
> trying to setup DBM Authentication using the 'dbmmanage' program but it
> doesn't seem to work. Using the 'htpasswd' program everything works
> great.

Well, I found the problem. The 'dbmmanage' script is fubar.
Find the this line:
BEGIN { @AnyDBM_File::ISA = qw(DB_File NDBM_File GDBM_File) }

and change it to read:
BEGIN { @AnyDBM_File::ISA = qw(NDBM_File DB_File GDBM_File) }

Now when you create a password file it is given a .db extension and
everything works fine. Do not specify the .db extension when referencing
the file in .htaccess or when creating/deleting/modifying users.

Brad.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: linux on 386
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:50:30 -0700

Hi there,

I have run Debian 2.0.34 (Hamm distribution) on a 486DX/25 with 8MB RAM and
230 MB Hard drive and it ran very well. The docs for the CD say you need 386
with 4 MB RAM and 40 MB HD and I believe that would work well
for what you need.

Stefano Ghirlanda wrote in message ...
>Hi everyone,
>I happen to have an 386 with which I would like to do something useful,
>but mostly play with :-)

<<snip>>

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: RH modem problem
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:53:00 GMT

Jimmy Navarro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[..]

>then "kill -9 460" and "kill -9 467" but then it can't re-dial out
>either via usernet nor Minicom saying /dev/modem locked.

>How can I unlock the modem?  Thanks...  )-:

Remove the lockfile in /var/locks .

Michaael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Seth Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up PPP (TCA Internet)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:52:21 GMT

I've been using Linux for around a year, and while configuring PPP has
ben a bit of a chore in the past, I've managed to pull it off.  I'm not
using TCA Internet, or Myriad (lotsa names) which is a pretty good-
sized national ISP, so I'm hoping someone here will have figured this
out already.  I plug all the hostnames into the right
places, /mainly /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf and run minicom, and
after it's dialed in it just hangs.  I'm sure they use pap/chap or one
of those protocols, but the tech support people here don't seem to know
what they're talking about.  Anyway, any help with this would be
appreciated.  Thanks. :)

~Seth~

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:04:47 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux box for computer newbies : suggestions please !

Stewart Honsberger wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:25:37 +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
>
> >I always recommend (and use it myself) SWAP = 2 * RAM.
>
> 2 * RAM? So with 128 megs, I'd want 256 megs of swap? Hmmm..

yes, that's my config exactly. Consider this: Two years ago boxes were
usually shipped with 16 M of RAM. Not using 32 M of swap was affordable
then. but now you can not be happy with it. So I'd rather use more swap
than I'll 'ever' need in case I do need it in future regularly. With the
new kernels 2.2.x and HD usually many Gigs big, this is nothing that
would hurt...

> I've got 64 megs of RAM, and use 64 megs of swap.
>
> I usually try to make RAM + SWAP = ~128 megs.
I twice ran into situations where I used 200M of RAM (usually when
playing with Perl and graphics at the same time - even in the same
program.)

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:13:53 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Setting how many processes a user can run when logged out

Tom Alsberg wrote:

>   This must be a newbie auestion, but I didn't find the answer in the
> Linux System Administrator's Guide. My question is - how do I set how
> many processes a user can when not logged in, is there any Unix command
> to set this?
>
>   Any advice is good, help is even better ;-),
>
>   Tom Alsberg
Maybe BSD process accounting can do this. It has to be compiled into the
kernel, but then needs user space apps, too. Check it help in make
*config if there is more information.

Marc

------------------------------

From: Chris Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP ! verrry slloooww reading DAT tape
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:23:00 GMT

Just to let everyone know, I have found a work around....but I would
still like to be able to read the tape using the "tar" command.

I was able to use the "mt  setblk 1024" to set the tape size and then
"dd if=/dev/st0 of=dump bs=1024" followed by a "tar -xvf dump". Great,
it reads at between 10 and 15Mb / minute. Changing "bs=xxx" to anything
else slows everything dowm by orders of magnitude.

Any clues would be appreciated

Chris Wilson
[So long as the voices in my head tell me
 to "just act normal", everything seems to be OK]

From: Ding-Jung Han <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP! kernel screwed up! -SOLVED!
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:16:17 -0400

Finally I figured out how to end this mess: make RedHat boot disk (image
downloaded from FTP site) and use it to boot my PC. Type 'linux
root=/dev/sda7' at the boot prompt. Once the Setup screen showed up, I
chose installation from hard drive, which then loaded the required scsi
module for my scsi adapter. Then I switched to another virtual console
and ctrl-C to kill the setup program -- then I was in my good old linux
again!

After that I checked /etc/lilo.conf and every file under /boot. Rerun
lilo and everything is ok!

PS. After this the first thing I did is making a boot disk for myself!

Ding-Jung Han wrote:

> Hi thanks for the pointer. I've managed to mount my /dev/sda7 (root
> partition) under /mnt/sda7. However I don't know how to run lilo to update
> the lilo loader on my C: drive (/dev/sda1). Here are the files under my
> /boot:
>
> System.map      154961  06/14/99
> boot.0807       512     09/03/98
> boot.b          4544    06/06/99
> chain.b         612     06/06/99
> map             11776   06/14/99
> os2_d.b         620     06/06/99
> vmlinuz         477541  06/14/99

No actually *.b files are from the RPM package of lilo. I just upgraded
it from RH6.0 distro. :-)

Thanks a lot,

Ben

> Notice that the date of boot.b and chain.b is not the same as that of
> System.map and vmlinuz? I guess that's where all this disaster comes from.
> Is there anyway that I can copy the correct *.b into /boot? (I can
> read/write from NT)
>
> Any suggestion is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
>
> Ben
>
> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, CompWiz wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest getting a rescue disk such as Tomsrtbt, at http://www.toms.net/rb
> > , download the scsi module, and load lilo again.
> >
> > Ding-Jung Han wrote:
> >
> > > I must have been sleeping.. I deleted vmlinuz and System.map from /boot
> > > (RedHat 6.0) in the process of rebuilding new kernel (2.2.10). I still
> > > have them under /, I tried to boot in NT and use Explorefs (a utility to
> > > read/write ext2 file systems) to copy the files under /boot -- still
> > > couldn't boot (yeah I know I have to rerun lilo...).
> > >
> > > I also tried to boot from RH boot+rescue disks -- but no SCSI modules are
> > > loaded so I can't mount / (/dev/sda8).
> > >
> > > Now I'm really stuck -- help!
> > >
> > > Ben
> >
> > --
> > Ari Pollak           -  CompWiz
> > Monday, June 14, 1999
> > 1200 bps used to seem so fast
> > System uptime: 75 hour(s) as of 04:00 AM ET
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.compwiz.nu
> > ICQ #749825          -  AOL IM: devnully

"You can use an operating system like Windows, or you can take a
vacation. I'd take the vacation every time."  -- Linus Torvalds

Benjamin Han ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo.

------------------------------

From: "Mountain Mike^^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Disk Partitioning Questions
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:34:27 -0700

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > I am currently running
Slackware 3.5 and Win95 dual-boot.  I bought a
> new HD to allow me to do this, but have run into problems partitioning
> it the way I want.  I ran across what seems to be a limit on extended
> partitions which I was unaware of.

On a single HD, you can have no more than 4 primary partitions or 3 primary
and one extended. Within the ext partitions, you may create as many logical
ones as you want.

Why? Because it's the rule. Hope this helps.

MM^^

------------------------------

From: "Flash !" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETSCAPE FOR LINUX
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:19:54 +0200

Can I know why in the Newsgroup properties panel does not appear  the
download settings tab ?
I' d want to download automaticlly the new messages ... can you help me
??

Thanks

Claudio_

------------------------------

From: Joe Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Hi
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:11:52 -0400

Linda,
some scheme the UAW dreamed up as a perk to the high seniority members.&nbsp;
They are going to get a fifteen week paid vacation, while those of us who
<i>had</i> educational leaves fill in at their jobs.&nbsp; The UAW tried
to sell it to us by saying that once the 'old timers' get used to what
its like to be retired, they may actually retire!&nbsp; Of course, it hasn't
resulted in a single retirement at any other plant in the area where it
was tried,&nbsp; which may explain my skepticism.&nbsp;&nbsp; They are
really sticking it to the the educational leave people by depriving them
of both summer and fall semesters.&nbsp; Fortunately I hadn't planned to
go to school during the summer because of the National Guard.
go to Camp Ashland, Nebraska on the 10th for two weeks.&nbsp; I then get
a week off and go right to Fort McCoy, Wisconsin for another three weeks.&nbsp;
I have been planning this for a while, because I knew what was coming this
summer. That might make it a little tight getting to see you when you come
up here.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs. -- Murphy's Law</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

------------------------------

From: Milan Kupresanin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off-line news reader
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:03:10 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Real simple question - can anybody reccomend a good _off-line_
> news reader? When I wandered aimlessly in the world of Microsoft
> I used a news reader called 'Free Agent'. I've tried the KDE
> news reader, but it has a number of problems.
>
> Any ideas? It costs way too much to view the news via Deja.com
>
> Cheers,
>  Oliver B. Tupman

Hi,

Try leafnode, it is a smal news server which works with most news
readers .  I use it with Netscape, and it works great. Very easy to set
up. Nice :)

Milan

--
__________________________________
Q: "What must I do to prove I´am mortal."

------------------------------

From: "Warez King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: !>>>>>>>Warez Sofeware(Retail)Download<<<<<<<!
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:22:12 +0800

!>>>>>>>Warez Sofeware(Retail)Download<<<<<<<!
http://come.to/all-ware
http://allware.cjb.net

------------------------------

From: "Anders Gulden Olstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:27:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Real simple question - can anybody reccomend a good _off-line_
> news reader? When I wandered aimlessly in the world of Microsoft
> I used a news reader called 'Free Agent'. I've tried the KDE
> news reader, but it has a number of problems.
> Any ideas? It costs way too much to view the news via Deja.com

I use leafnode as a local newsserver, downloading newsfeed from my ISP.
It's a light-weight newsserver, pretty easy to configure - compared to
the fullblown INN newsserver.

With leafnode running, you can use almost whatever newsreader you want.

Take look at http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~krasel/leafnode.html

--
Anders Gulden Olstad @ Brinkley | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
RedHat 6.0 Linux kernel 2.2.5   | "Penguins are generally nice creatures"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:57:29 +0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Dent)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: open systems?!? Re: Why does Apple not cooperate with Be?

In article <yfRa3.232$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "William
Edward Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The recent innovation I was refering to, by the way, is the
>Microsoft "HAL" layer (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which Apple
>recently adopted for the MacOS. The idea is that you create a
>set of "abstractions" which abstract out the hardware differences
>in various Macintosh or IBM PC models.

Just a minor nitpick (and about the only point on which I agree with
Lawrence) is that this is NOT a recent innovation.

>From my experience I can point to a similar layer in Digital VAX mini's at
least 12 years ago. Quite a large part of the instruction set of the
virtual VAX processor was handled by exceptions (instruction not
implemented) in the CPU of the smaller machines and calculated by library
routines in the abstraction layer.

(VAX instruction set is a big one, eg: including a polynomial solving
instruction and a lot of COBOL string processing instructions).

My apologies if your use of the term 'recent' meant its application to
desktop machines.

Ironic, isn't it, that the deceased OpenDoc would probably have done more
to promote the concept of runtime libraries vs OS by making it visible to
the user that certain services could be provided by components from
different sources.

FWIW I believe firmly that an HTML renderer should be a runtime lib
supplied with the OS. There's a lot of difference between a common (and
replaceable if desired) rendering engine and the browser. The Mac suffers
from the lack of one!

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Login
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 07:55:03 -0700

Louis Dupree wrote:

> How do I install a new user on Red Hat 5.2. The ROOT longin works great, but
> when I go to X Window I do not get the icons that my 5.1 manual shows. It
> shows how to make a new user. If had a 5.2 manual might help!!
> Any one have a suggestion? Thank you.

adduser

------------------------------

From: Andreas Amann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes?
Date: 20 Jun 1999 15:33:34 GMT

Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ray wrote:

>> The bottom line is that while Netscape is not as stable is it should be, it
>> should NEVER lock up Linux and I've never seen it even take out X.  If it
>> does then there is something VERY wrong.
>>
> That's why I am trying, and want to find out why. Everything else has
> been running beautifully. Now I've turned off java.

Maybe it is not only about java.

The problem of "freezing" arises in my case, when a Netscape
dialog box pops up while the Bookmarks menu is open at the
same time. To reproduce the behavior do the following:

Start netscape-4.08
change preferences into "warn me before accepting a cookie"
and "Accept all cookies" in the "Advanced" Category

Open a site, that wishes to set a cookie and takes some time to load,
for example http://prola.aps.org/ should do.

While the site is loading, single click the bookmarks folder to show
the list of bookmarks. This list should still be visible after the
left mouse button is released.

Wait with the open bookmark list, until the dialog box "... do you
wish to allow the cookie to be set" pops up.

Click the "Accept" Button.

Now the eventloop is almost locked. You cannot change the focus
anymore. By pressing ESC you can make the dialog box disappear, but
after that your possibilities are exhausted. The menu list is still
open, and it does not close as it should when pressing ESC once
more. Neither the mouse focus nor the desktop can be changed. Only
alt-ctrl-f1 works (fortunately), and we can still kill the netscape
process from another term.

--
Andreas Amann
Institut für theoretische Physik