Linux-Misc Digest #705, Volume #21                Mon, 6 Sep 99 18:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (John Hasler)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: chat script with ISP menu selection problem ("Boon Yeo")
  Re: Advantage of ext2 over vfat??? (MBr)
  Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem (MBr)
  KDE: Backspace deletes chars to the RIGHT of cursor. (jos)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (fred smith)
  Re: True Type Conversion??? (Rod Smith)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest) (Bill McClain)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Red hat 6.0 FTP Server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using SPARCPrinter under Linux. Can't recompile Ghostscript because of missing
files (Andy)
  Re: Moving the console (bogus)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (fred smith)
  DMA blues (Tom Ford)
  The great think about this ng (Jeff Goodman)
  Re: How to address email without domain name? (Bo Berglund)
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution ("Robert M. Cosby")
  Re: making linux go away (John McKown)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Andrew Onifer)

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:11:16 GMT

Johan Kullstam writes:
> no one has cracked my refrigerator yet.  it's got no passwords or
> security of any kind.

Ha!  Have you ever actually done an audit and compared the amount of beer
you put in that fridge and the amount you actually drink?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: 6 Sep 1999 16:52:51 -0400

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:17:14 -0700, K. Bjarnason wrote:
>[snips]

>I'm not sure how Linux handles dynamic linking, but would be interested
>in it if you happen to know.  Suppose I install 10 apps, each of which
>uses "dynload.bin" - i.e. the same dynamically loaded image from the
>same vendor, even possibly of the same version.
>
>Do Linux installation guidelines require that all instances of this file
>go into a common location?

What usually happens is this: the application will not install shared
libraries into the system directory. You install the shared libraries
seperately. The vendor may sometimes ship an appropriate version
of the required shared libraries with their product.

> Or do they just get installed in the
>application directory?

Sometimes. But the "standard" shared libraries ( ie not developed by the
application vendor ) will usually not go into the application directory.

> If the latter, is Linux's binary loader smart
>enough to recognize that it already has a copy of dynload.bin loaded,
>and link any subsequent apps to it, or does each app get its onw loaded
>copy of the file, out of its directory?  What sort of impact does this
>have on memory footprint?

If the shared library is installed in the application directory, I think
it will get loaded seperately, and have the obvious effect on memory
usage. Which is why applications usually don't install "standard"
shared libraries in their own directories.

>As I see it, Linux, while moving towards supporting such users, isn't
>quite there yet, at least from what I read.

Maybe you should try it yourself to form a better informed opinion.

> To be the MS-killer so many >seem to want it to be,

The only people who badly want it to be are a faction of the media
who are sick of MS, and new users who've just got away from Windows.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Boon Yeo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: chat script with ISP menu selection problem
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:29:13 +1000

Thanks to all who replied.

I have tried all the suggestions, but unfortunately none
work.  I am including here fragment of the message
log in the hope that someone can spot what is
happening:

================= [ message log fragment ] ====================
Sep  6 23:09:03 unitron pppd[1014]: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
Sep  6 23:09:25 unitron pppd[1014]: Serial connection established.
Sep  6 23:09:25 unitron pppd[1014]: Using interface ppp0
Sep  6 23:09:25 unitron pppd[1014]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron pppd[1014]: Remote message:  Welcome to NetSpace
Online Systems---------------------------------- Choose an option...
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron pppd[1014]: local  IP address 210.15.192.105
Sep  6 23:09:27 unitron pppd[1014]: remote IP address 203.10.110.178
============= [ end of message log fragment] ===============

Notice that I have logged in successfully.  But I cannot
bypass the menu option.  Please note that I use the
secrets files.

Regards,
Boon

news:7qtn69$1vp2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advantage of ext2 over vfat???
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:55:00 +0200

Scott Simpson wrote:

> Justin B Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:7qs8tu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > You cant really `run` Linux off of a vfat partition unless you used UMDOS
> > (sp?). One big reason for this is vfat does not support file permission
> > like ext2 does. So unless you are using something like UMDOS you can't
>
> Incorrect. See http://www.phatlinux.com. By the way, this distribution was
> created and is maintained by two 15 year olds.
I shows, with the help of e2fsck 1.15, I haven't found anything that
beat the robustness
of the EXT2, even not NTFS... once had a FAT12 partition accidently
copied over the first
32mb of an 2.5gb EXT2 volume, after restoring the bootrecord, e2fsck
manage to restore the
drive an much of it's data...

> > ---- Jesus Is Lord ----
Actions speak louder than words...
Met mostly christians whoms words where spoken louder than their
actions...

--
                "It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I
                rather be flamed with better information than to be left

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:15:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Norman Levin wrote:
>"Cameron L. Spitzer" wrote:
>>

>> EZ-BIOS is a pain in the ass, next time don't use it.
>>
>But it may be possible to remove ezbios.  Check on
>"Maxtor" webpage.  There's step by step info on how to check
>your disk to see if it can run without ezbios.  Then you can
>remove it if you pass the test.

That stuff assumes you want to use the entire drive for Microsoft.

I have not seen a combination of drive and motherboard BIOS that
requires EZ-BIOS/OnTrack Disk Manager/etc for a successful
Linux installation.  What I *have* seen are dual-boot
systems that required it because the Microsoft product required it.

One of the cases in the LILO mini-HOWTO described an install
without EZ-BIOS/OnTrack, on a drive with more than 1024 cylinders.
The key was to put the Microsoft product on the first 1023 cylinders,
and use the rest for Linux.  The Lilo-related files are in
C:\LINUX\LILO in the Microsoft partition.  /sbin/lilo complains about
the cylinder count, but it works anyway.

If you wanted more space for Microsoft than the first 1023 cylinders
*then* you'd need the EZ-BIOS/OnTrack thing, or a recent motherboard BIOS.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux Removal -> NT Installation problem
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:40:02 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <impi3.5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Buch) wrote:
> > In article <7md1ni$a6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Nova  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Well, I removed all the partitions from my hardrive in order to
> install NT,
> > >Inserted the boot diskette for Nt and continued onward....  The
> install
> > >proceed smoothtly, until.....The restart, Upon the resteart the
> Letters LI
> > >appeared, a ghostlike reminder of the Linux (or rather LILO) that
> once
> > >lived on this machine, after the LI appears it freezes.....
> > >I reformatted the drive for Fat, and tried NTFS, I created one
> single
> > >partition for NT, yet the computer continues to give me the LI, and
> then a
> > >freeze...
> > >Can you help to alleviate this problem, All help is greatly
> appreciated,,,
> > >Thnx,
> >
> > Your "problem" is that LILO is still sitting on the master boot
> record (MBR)
> > of your hard disk.  For some reason windoze products have the belief
> that
> > only their boot programs can reside there...
> >
> > If you have an old dos boot floppy, it might work to boot in dos from
> that
> > disk and then give the command
> >
> > fdisk /mbr
> >
> > This should overwrite the MBR program with Micro$oft's (old?)
> version, and
> > possibly you can continue from there.
> >
> > If it works, enjoy your New Troubles!
> >
> > --
> > Anders Skovsted Buch           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > 2072 East Hall                 Phone:  (734) 477-9052
> > 525 East University Ave
> > Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1109
> >

> I have had the same problem. I did a fdisk /mbr and re-booted with the
> NT installation cd. I created partitions and the initial completed.
> When the machine rebooted to continue the installation, I got the
> message "no operating system found" from the BIOS.
>
> Im kind of lost on where to go from that....
Use the NT cd repair option and select "repair boot", or something(don't
use an ERD, it sucks...)

From: jos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE: Backspace deletes chars to the RIGHT of cursor.
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:35:51 +0100

Hi,
 I have just installed RH6.0 and using KDE 1.1.
Whenever I am editing text (eg, in KEdit, or the URL box
in Netscape), the Backspace key deletes characters to
the RIGHT of the cursor position, rather than to the LEFT.

Is it possible to change this behaviour? I want chars to the
LEFT to be deleted.

Thanks,
John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:20:40 +0200

It was the Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:39:08 -0500...
..and teknite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:01:17 +0200, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It was the Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:08:33 -0500...
> >...and teknite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I prefer the look and feel of Gnome combined with
> >> WindowMaker to KDE.
> >
> >When I tried Gnome for the first time with Window Maker, I didn't like
> >it at all. Then I had the idea of running it as "wmaker --no-dock".
> >Whoa. I can only second your opinion.
>
> How do I tell WindowMaker to use the --no-dock option under Gnome?
>
> I selected it from the Gnome Control Center.

Create your own entry for Window Maker, name it, say "Window Maker
without dock", and in the properties requester, type "wmaker
--no-dock".

mawa
--
Duuuude! (he was sure there was an unlaut in there somewhere)
                                                       -- Cary Sandvig

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:38:19 GMT

Flash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I can't wait until Linux has a stable Graphical Web Browser.  Sometimes I
: just Lynx my way through the web, because I dread the Netscape
: instability.

: I love Netscape, when it works, but it is just not stable.

That's why I'm waiting (not with great patience) for Opera. Of course
the Linux port may also turn out to be a dog, as is netscrape, but
at least the Windoze version is small and fast so it gives us hope.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
                         For the wages of sin is death,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: True Type Conversion???
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:29:04 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        William Knechtel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Greetings!
>
> I have already successfully install a flawlessly working X Font Server
> for True Types... however it seems that neither Star Office or Word
> Perfect talk to any of the X Font Servers.  I know there is a TT Font
> COnverter out there that will convert from TT to Type 1, but I cant for
> the life of me find it.  I have the T1Utils  Package to help me in the
> install of Type 1 fonts, but still need to convert my True types over to
> t1 so that Word Perfect and Star Office will see them...  Can someone be
> so kind as to point me in the direction of the converter??  Thanks in
> advance,

Check my web page on fonts in WordPerfect for Linux:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/wpfonts.html

I've got a link somewhere on that document to the TT->T1 converter, and
unless you're already familiar with fonts in WP, you'll probably find the
document itself helpful.

Overall, you'll probably get better results if you locate Type 1
equivalents to your TrueType fonts; font converters often produce flaky
results, and converted fonts sometimes don't even work at all.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:45:11 +0200

It was the Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:21:35 -0700...
..and K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > Matthias Warkus wrote:
> >
> > > [0] Notice how thoughtfully and diplomatically I am *not* assuming
> > >     that what you leech is porn. Which is often done when people argue
> > >         about whether Usenet should be used for things for which you would
> > >         be better off with an FTP server.
> >
> > I instantly assumed he was leeching porn. ;-)
>

> Some of us prefer to leech fractals.  I'll leave it to you to decide
> which, ultimately, is the worse offense. :)

Leeching fractals is worse, because you could simply fetch the data
and generate the graphics yourself.

In fact, leeching fractals could be one of the dumbest-yet ways of
replacing computational power by bandwidth.

mawa
--
(Speaking of Beethoven's Ode to Joy:) This is certainly great music to
blow things up by!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill McClain)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Req.: Experience with SyJet Drive (SyQuest)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:57:16 -0600

David Rabanus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience with the SyQuest SyJet 1.5 GB
> harddrive under Linux? I anticipate some difficulties since there
> is some special s/w necessray even under DOS/Windows/OS2...
>
> Thanks in advance - David

I have one. No installation or operational problems at all. No special
drivers or other software. Plug it into SCSI, create a mount point and
run mkfs.

The big "gotcha" is that the company is in Chapter 11, last I heard. I
wish the media price would come down a bit.

-Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 6 Sep 1999 16:56:16 -0400

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:58:16 -0700, K. Bjarnason wrote:

>Unlike Win*, however, Linux only needs some GUI work to bring that level
>of ease to its desktop;

The "GUI work" is already there ( for example, see KDE ).

Why do you make these comments if you haven't actually used linux ?
Perhaps you should try it before you criticise it.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red hat 6.0 FTP Server
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:46:23 GMT

Hi
I have install Red hat 6.0 and have install Linux FTP Server on that.
Now if i try to login with any user (my username is user21) on that FTP
Site its does'nt allow me to do so. It gives "530 login incorrect".
While if i try to login on the server directly, with same user it works
fine. Now if i use ftp user (default user) for login on frp server it
also works fine.
Why i am not able to login with my user "user21". Thanks for all your
time.

Regards
Iltiaz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using SPARCPrinter under Linux. Can't recompile Ghostscript because of
missing files
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:56:38 GMT

On 6 Sep 1999 20:03:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote:

>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>>I downloaded the latest version of GhostScript and am trying to
>>recompile with support for a SPARCprinter as a device. The problem I
>>am having is it looks like the SPARCprinter device driver code that is
>>to be compiled into GhostScript, expects to be compiled under Solaris,
>>not Linux.
>
>>Has anyone interfaced the SPARCprinter to a Linux box and made it
>>work?? If so, How???
>
>The sparcprinter is a super dumb printer, in which the sparcstation had
>to send the information to the printer as raster scans. It also used a
>special card in the system as the interface to the printer itself (I am
>talking about the original sparcprinter, which is what the ghostscript
>file is all about).
>
>I only ever used it on a sparcstation, and had to do some alteration of
>th ecode to get it running there.
>
>I could send you those changes, but an not sure how valuable they would
>be.
>
>Not that the ghostscript driver needs the sparcprinter drivers from the
>Sun distribution. That has source code for the Sparc printer drivers.
>How easy the port to Linux would be I do not know.
>
>Again note that I am talking about the SparcPrinter 1, not the
>SparcPrinter 2 which I believe was an entirely different beast ( and as
>far as I know not supported by ghostscript.)
>
>These are the comments I made re my changes to gdevsppr.c
>
>/* March 1996- changes by W. G. Unruh (WGU) a few bug fixes primarily.
>The error array was shifted by one, and the lpvio must be tested before it returns
>an error condition. Also, I instituted a page counter to the file .pgcnt in
>the spool directory, and I also printed the error messages out both to stderr
> and to the file "status" so that lpq could report the error message to the
>users. */

Hmmmmm!
I am talking about the SPARCPrinter 1. I knew about the data being
formatted as a raster scan. I wasn't sure about the interface card
though.

What does the interface to the SPARCprinter look like?
I have not found any info on this interface. Is it proprietary?
Standard printer? Somewhat standard? Not at all standard?

I guess I should persue the interface to the printer first. If its
non-standard or not easily interfaced to, there is no reason to work
on trying to get ghostscript to work with it.

Thanks.
Andy

If anyone can fill in the blanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bogus)
Subject: Re: Moving the console
Date: 6 Sep 1999 21:45:19 GMT

Edit /etc/syslog.conf to have error messages displayed on an unused tty..

daemon,mail.*;\
        news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\
        *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty5

To view the output, do Alt-F5.

: On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:25:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:  wrote:
: >I have a PC that's being used in a hospital running redhat linux 5.1.
: >At boot it launches tn5250 to connect to the as/400 on virtual terminal
: >1 as well as launching lynx on virtual terminal 2 to connect to a pager
: >gateway.  The other day, I had to shutdown the paging daemon to
: >incorporate a change, and as the console is defined as tty1 the TN5250
: >session that is being used to admit patients was screwed up with the
: >messages printing to the console.   How do I move the console to
: >somewhere harmless like tty4, so when I shutdown a daemon, I'm not
: >messing with a running session.
: >

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:41:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: On 5 Sep 1999 18:47:12 GMT, Lizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote in
:><7qubj9$7q7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:>Recommendations, other than lynx, then? (I wonder if there will ever be a
:>Linux version of Opera...)

:       Try using the KDE file mangler as a webbrowser. It's not Netscape
:       in terms of included features but it's not a bad browser these
:       days.

I was using Star Office as a web browser a day or two ago. Not bad
considering it's such an enormous hog. At least it doesn't crash
(or rather: didn't) like netscape does. Trouble with SO is it's so
huge and slow. Running on my k6-2/350 with64 megs of PC100 RAM it
eats about 35-40 megs of RAM and forces me 10-20 megs into swap
and every operation is slow.
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
============================ Hebrews 4:12 (niv) ==============================

------------------------------

From: Tom Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DMA blues
Date: 06 Sep 1999 18:53:20 +0100

Slightly more emphasis on the misc than the linux...

Just recently, Linux has been telling me the following a _lot_:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

I would be grateful if someone could describe the problem more
verbosely and give any suggestions (aside from turn off DMA :)

Flend

------------------------------

From: Jeff Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The great think about this ng
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:58:25 -0700

I've been tinkering with Linux for several years, and have been pretty
much totally cutover from Windows to Linux for some time now (VMWare
helped A LOT) - but I still consider myself only an "advanced newbie."
I just realized that the great thing about comp.os.linux.misc is that it
gives me lots of information that I didn't know I needed!  It answers my
questions before I ask them!  Thanks to all of my teachers.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: How to address email without domain name?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 18:12:13 GMT

Thanks all of you!
The square brackets did the trick all right.

Bo Berglund
Software developer in Sweden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
Idap://certserver.pgp.com
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Cosby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:36:37 -0700

Guy Macon wrote:

<snip>

>  Nobody is
> saying that knowing how things work is a bad thing.  I am saying that
> you should be able to use your computer without such knowledge.

What I should have added is that there are holes through which the
innards peek out scaring the newbies.

> *Post to sci.autos.admin:                                              *
> *                                                                      *
> *>Whenever I try to run my new Belchfire 2000 on the freeway, it shakes*
> *>so hard that my contact lenses fall out, and everyone passes me.     *
> *                                                                      *
> *Set the STROKES parameter in your ENGINE.CFG file to 2, and set       *
> *the CYLS parameter to 8.  Then reinstall Service Pack 5.              *

California Highway Patrol officer: "His OS crashed and so he lost
control and crashed. Poor guy... a Gatesmobile costs so much, too. Tsk"

--
No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest
reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: 6 Sep 1999 21:58:04 GMT

On 6 Sep 1999 05:14:58 GMT, Jeroen Willems <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Try this...
>
>Boot up using a MS boot floppy with the fdisk and sys programs on it.
>
>Then type:
>       fdisk /MBR
>       sys c:
>e presto!
>
>Regards,
>
>jEroen
I missed the beginning of this thread. However, I did have a 'strange'
experience. I bought a new machine. I wanted to install both Linux on
it along with a small Windows2000 beta system. I used the Linux fdisk
on the system. No matter what I did, the Windows system (2000 & 98) would
not find the hard disk. Well, what they said was something like "error
writing to drive" or some such. I then tried the Windows2000 "fdisk" and
it would not write either. I have NO idea what the Linux fdisk put in
the partition table. Anyway, Linux installed and ran OK, but I still
wanted to see what Windows2000 looked like. So I decided to do the following:
I booted into "linux single" so that I didn't need to worry about multitasking.
I entered the command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

After about 2 minutes (this is a 13Gb drive), I pressed the <reset> button
on the machine. The partition table was now "virgin". I could then
successfully install Windows2000. I then re-installed Linux. I don't know
what Linux did, but it put something on the HD that Windows2000 & Win98
simply did NOT like and refused to work with.

In any case, the "dd" command above should totally kill everything on the
/dev/hda (primary master IDE). You must then reinstall whatever from
scratch.

As always, you do this at your own risk! If it doesn't work, I assume NO
responsibility. It it ends up wiping out something precious, I assume NO
responsibility! Know what you are doing!

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Onifer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 6 Sep 1999 22:00:06 GMT

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:16:04 -0700, K. Bjarnason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes, yes, *you* like command-lines and switches.  So do *I*.  About 98%
>of the desktop users out there do NOT; they want it point-and-click
>easy; compare your method above to "click on setup.exe or the .EXE file
>you just downloaded."

Then they shouldn't be using Linux.

Repeat after me:
Linux is not windows.  Linux is not Windows.  Linux is not Windows.

                                jay
(A Linux user, not a Windows user.  Well, not at the moment, anyway)

--
"The movie really heightens the lack of interest in the film"
                                    --Crow T. Robot