From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gopal Santhanam)
Subject: How do I cleverly route two DSL connections?
Date: 29 Feb 2000 02:50:57 GMT

I have two DSL connections for our office.  They are on different
subnets (one from Flashcom and one from PacBell).

I want to leverage the PacBell's ADSL for high download speeds by
using it as the default gateway for the office intranet.  This can be
easily done by using a masquerading firewall, pointing all the
internal machines' default gateways to that firewall, and setting the
firewall machine's default to PacBell's DSL subnet router.

I'd like to use the Flashcom's SDSL as my anonymous ftp server.  This
takes advantage of the higher upload speeds of the SDSL.  However,
when I try to get through from outside the office to the "ftp address"
I am unable to get through.  I have concluded that this is because the
packet from outside comes to my SDSL but the response is sent back
through the PacBell ADSL.  I can even see through ifconfig that the
Ethernet card connected to the SDSL is consistently receiving packets
but not transmitting during this test.

My route table looks something like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
200.100.50.25   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0 eth0
60.50.40.30     *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0 eth3
192.168.0.1     *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0     0 eth2
200.100.50.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth2
60.50.40.0      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0     0 eth3
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0     0 lo
default         60.40.30.254    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     0 eth0

*** 200.100.50.25 is analogous my Flashcom address and 60.50.40.30 is
*** analogous to my PacBell address.

My ipchains policies are as follows:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
MASQ       all  ------  192.168.0.0/24       anywhere              n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

If anyone has any suggestions short of having two separate firewall
machines please let me know.  I think ipchains might be useful but I'm
not sure what to do there.

If you can CC any response post to my email address
[EMAIL PROTECTED] that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gopal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: No Print Previews?
Date: 28 Feb 2000 21:51:35 EST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:54:12 GMT, nldgr <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>Hans Dumbrajs wrote:
>> nldgr wrote:
>> > Why Leenux got no print previews???
>I'll rephrase that question since I am using a limited number of Linux
>apps.
>Are there applications for Linux that have a 'print preview' similar to
>that of the Windows print preview?

Took me all of 15 seconds to find the "Page View/Print Preview" option in
StarOffice.  It's under "File" in a place similar to the "Print Preview"
option in Word97 if that helps.  Wordperfect no doubt has something
similar.

Acrobat Reader doesn't have "Print Preview" but since PDF is mostly
compressed PostScript, what you see on the screen at 150-200% is
essentially what it'll look like on paper.

Netscape is... a mess.  Print to a file and use Ghostscript or PS Viewer
to take a look.  Same functionality, just an extra step in the process.

HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: "Max" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: X11 Login and internet connection problems
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:58:22 -0000

I was running the following setup fine until today:
RedHat6 Kernel 2.2.5-22 on i686, using KDE.
(I have partitioned my PC giving Linux about 5 Gigs.)
When I tried to run Linux from the LILO prompt,
Linux went through the usual setup process but when it
was supposed to display the redhat login page it failed,
displaying the folowing error message:

" runlevel 3
Error loading keymaps /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
Could not load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymaps.
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errorno=111
failed to set default font path 'unix: -1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed' "

I looked for 'server-0.xkm' in the directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/
but could not find it.
I can log in fine but I'm restricted to the command line. I don't think I
have
done anything to screw my config up.

Failing this, can anyone tell me how to connect to the internet from the
unix command line, as I have to transfer data and my floppy doesn't work.
My Linux internet connection worked fine before, using kppp, but my floppy
drive never did.

Many thanks

Max

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:54:19 +0000
From: The Scotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: patching/upgrading kernel question

Being a 3 month newbie and having upgraded the kernel successfully
twice, I must be an expert by now (joke for the humour impaired).
Seriously, it's not hard, just set aside some time and be methodical.

Suggest you print out and carefully read the Howto for upgrading a stock
kernel first.  Then get a rpm manager like Kpackage or gnorpm, etc. and
learn how it works on some simple program.  Then go to the Redhat kernel
upgrade page and note all the library and other file upgrades
necessary.  Then download all files.  Load the library and other files
first before the kernel files.  I always test dependancies first and
invariably there are other file upgrades needed that were not listed by
Redhat.  While you're at it, check Redhat's bug and security upgrade
pages and get those, too.

For the actual kernel files, "install" but do not "upgrade" because you
want the ability to boot with your old kernel if for some reason the new
version hangs.  Follow the Howto directions on making the initial RAM
disk (mkinitrd), add the new version to /etc/lilo.conf and BE SURE to
run lilo from a terminal BEFORE you reboot.

It takes time due to the many file upgrades necessary.  You can't just
load the new kernel file.

Bob Scott

------------------------------

From: "Michael P. McCutcheon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Databases for Linux?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:47:18 -0800

Can anyone give me a list of free or low cost databases that work on
Linux?

I have heard of MySQL and mSQL.  Are there any others?

I am interested in creating a server-side Java application, therefore
databases that have JDBC drivers would be nice.

Many thanks,

Michael P. McCutcheon

------------------------------

From: Josh Joyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BogoMIPS question
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:01:42 -0600

Duane Evenson wrote:

> Reading the BogoMIPS docs, I see that Cyrix 586 x100 's are listed as
> giving BogoMIPS values of about 100. I get about 30 on my system. Am I
> suffering a performance problem?
> Does the BogoMIPS routine use the kernel, ie would recompiling my kernel
> speed things up? It's compiled for a 486. Isn't that right?
> Thanks. :)

I found this in the BogoMIPS Howto under "Normal Pentium systems":

Pentium/100 Cyrix   39.94

So I wouldn't be too worried. Your kernel is not at fault. I think a
much better indication of performance is daily use. If your machine is
satisfactory to you in this respect, you can safely ignore the BogoMIPS
rating :)

Josh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: What is MAGIC COOKIE and why cant I run apps as su?
Date: 29 Feb 2000 03:02:18 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Thanks for all the help... I have used the xhost +localhost...

>Now.. can anyone tellme what bad things can happen using this command?

It allows anyone, local or remote, running on localhost to both listen
in on anything you type or display in your X session, or to hijack your
X session.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux can't do single sided diskettes!?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:57:11 GMT

Tony Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a need to read & write 5.25" diskettes with the MSDOS 1.1 file system
: (single sided, double density, 40 track, 9 sectors/track).  The reason for
: this is that I am one of those rare retro-computing fans and I still have a
: functional TRS-80 model 3, and a conversion program for it so I can transfer
: stuff between that and the rest of the world.  Unfortunately the Model 3
: drives are single sided only, so the best it supports are the two DOS
: single-sided filesystems, basically 8 sectors/track and 9 sectors/track on
: the above spec.

Do a web search for "cpmtools".
With that you can handle a big collection of old weird floppy formats.
Also "superformat" may be of some help.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Any idea why Enlightenment crashes so often?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:20:17 GMT

I've performed the standard "Gnome Workstation" install with two
different copies of RH 6.1 and Enlightenment is always unstable.
Gnorpm dieing of a fatal error when I attemp to access preferences is
just one example.

Any suggestions as to how I might diagnose and cure these problems
would be greatly appreciated.  I like Enlightenment and would like to
make it my alternative (read "eventual replacement") for Windoze.

I'll try to find any info needed for a precise diagnosis.  I go to try
what will be my (no exageration) 50th re-install.

Thanks

Wade Segade

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (remove the obvious)

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: resize linux partion
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:21:44 -0600

AJAY wrote:

>   Accidentaly I have alocated more space for linux. Now I want to resize so
> that to create one more linux partion and rest to create WIN partion. Can
> somebody tell me how to do this???
>
> Thanks
> AJ

It is possible to do this but not very easy.   And I wouldn't
want to try to describe it in a newsgroup response.   Your best
bet would be to start over again and reinstall Linux.  When
doing so, you will probably have to delete your current partitions
before continuing with the installation.  Also, make your first
partition a FAT32 partition to leave room for Windows.  But
the details of what to do would depend in part on the distribution
and also the size of your disk.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Internet Radio
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:30:12 GMT

> With Xmms you can listen to the Shoutcast (shoutcast.com) stations -
> there're quite a few. There's a Linux version of Spinner -
> (spinner.com) - excellent selection of music channels. Skip RealPlayer
> 5 and get the G2 - on my RedHat6 box it's stable and 'easily'
> configurable with Netscape.

How did you configure it with netscape?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Databases for Linux?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:35:48 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Michael P. McCutcheon would say:
>Can anyone give me a list of free or low cost databases that work on
>Linux?
>
>I have heard of MySQL and mSQL.  Are there any others?
>
>I am interested in creating a server-side Java application, therefore
>databases that have JDBC drivers would be nice.

Others in the unambiguously-free category include PostgreSQL, BeagleSQL,
GnuSQL, Gadfly, someday, perhaps, Interbase...

There are various others that are "modestly priced" (as compared to Oracle,
Informix, DB/2, ...)

See URL below...
--
"Over the centuries the Indians developed sign language for
communicating phenomena of interest.  Programmers from different

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Any idea why Enlightenment crashes so often?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:38:37 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when [EMAIL PROTECTED]
would say:
>I've performed the standard "Gnome Workstation" install with two
>different copies of RH 6.1 and Enlightenment is always unstable.
>Gnorpm dieing of a fatal error when I attemp to access preferences is
>just one example.
>
>Any suggestions as to how I might diagnose and cure these problems
>would be greatly appreciated.  I like Enlightenment and would like to
>make it my alternative (read "eventual replacement") for Windoze.
>
>I'll try to find any info needed for a precise diagnosis.  I go to try
>what will be my (no exageration) 50th re-install.

You may want to consider an alternative to Enlightenment.  It is big,
memory-hungry, CPU-hungry, and is also hungry for a *POWERFUL* graphics
card.  It challenges the robustness of the X server.  Overall, quite a
monster.

You may want to try something a bit more modest.  WindowMaker is quite
popular, and SawMill is *particularly* popular amongst Gnome fans.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/xwindows.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Quintus Prolog
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:44:03 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Edward M Grill would say:

>Does anyone know where i could found the libraries and a compiler for
>Quintus Prolog for LINUX? i recently put together a LINUX box and want to do
>some (if not all ) of my PROLOG programming for this class project on it.
>Where
>might i find the libraries and a compiler for LINUX? I have Storm Linux
>running ( based on the Debian GNU distro. ) Can anyone give me some
>suggestions or links to check out?

If you have
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, you might want to try the command:

# apt-get install swi-prolog
or
# apt-get install gprolog

Linux is *not* one of the supported platforms for Quintus Prolog.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: "S. Park" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lpr don't remove the finished print job
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:47:41 GMT

Tao Yang wrote:

> hi, gurus
>
> I got a strange problem here, I config a remote printer
> HP laserjet 4si (its name is RSHP4) like this:
>
> lp|hplj:\
>         :lp=:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=RSHP4:\
>         :rp=:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
>
> but each time when I use lpr to print, the finished
> printting job always hangs there not be removed,
> and block the following printing job so that I have
> to remove that 0 byte hanging job manually.
>
> anybody know what is wrong with my config? how to fix it?
>
> Thanks lot,
> Tao
>
> In theory, there is no difference between theory and
> practice. But, in practice, there is.
> - Jan LA van de Snepscheut
> Tao Yang                    Phone: (423)974-6557(o)
> 7429 Lawford Road
> Knoxville, TN 37919         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> U. S. A.

Test after selecting to add form feed using printtool.

Cheers.

------------------------------

From: Taylor Hutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slocate.cron and cron.weekly Errors
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:54:45 GMT

Dave Stevenson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is the first message I've seen from this thread.  Perhaps my ISP has
> eaten the others:-)  From what Taylor posted, it sounds the same problems as
> I've been getting.  A repost of the answer to the slocate.cron problem, as
> well as any pointers to curing makewhatis.cron  of its ills, would be much
> appreciated.

The solution to slocate.cron is pretty simple:

#!/bin/bash

[ -e /usr/bin/updatedb ] && { sh /usr/bin/updatedb ; } || {
    /usr/bin/slocate -u -e /tmp -e "/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net,/proc" ;
}

But I don't know about the corrupt files yet.

From: "Melissa Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Enlightenment  Themes
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:01:07 GMT

How do i install enlighten themes?