Linux-Misc Digest #705, Volume #18               Wed, 20 Jan 99 19:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: R/W CD as backup option? (Glen Turner)
  Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled (Jeffrey C. Dege)
  Re: 128 bit Netscape 4.08 built against glibc (Pasha Zusmanovich)
  Re: Problems configuring mail (nmh) using PPP (GeekGirl)
  Re: Beowulf Anyone? (Ed Finch)
  Re: Info on Y2K compliancy ... (KaSI)
  Firewall with linux? (KaSI)
  Re: What Kind of Sound Blaster Support is Found in Debian (Mike Werner)
  Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use) (Erik Naggum)
  glibc and libc ("Mark Stacey")
  Re: Is there a CD label print program for Linux? (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: A newbie versus "vi" (JiPUSTRADAMUS)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Piotr Wanat)
  Tuning Kernel Parameters In Linux (Redhat) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters (jedi)
  Re: StarOffice and Microsoft Office ("John De Hoog")
  Re: SOLUTION: mkdir fails: too many links (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: GTK+ Install problem (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: Star Trek window manager? (Stephen St.Clair)
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
(jim)

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:22:49 +1030
From: Glen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: R/W CD as backup option?

Kerry J. Cox wrote:

> My boss approached me the other day concerning our current backup
> protocol.  He's considering using a Read/Write CD to backup our
> servers.  We use all Sun machines using Solaris 2.6.  What we're
> thinking about doing is setting up a fast PC, i.e. 350-400 MHz and
> putting a Read/Write CD on it and then using it to backup pertinent
> data.  Right now we have a tape backup that works fine under the Sun
> machines.
> Has anyone else tried this?  Any input on what might be involved in
> getting somethig like this to function?

Our experience is that people actually mean two different
things by "backup": "disaster recovery" and "data archiving".

CDs are useful for disaster recovery in that they allow
you to build a bootable version of your current OS.
This makes it much easier to rip the remaining gigabytes
of user files back off tape.  Especially if you are
using a third-party backup/restore program.

They are less useful for storing those gigabytes of files.
The write speed is really bad, and data has to be written
at a pretty consistent rate.  This means a staging disk.

Finally, CDs are brilliant for data archiving.  If someone
has just finished a major work, then they can put it on
CD and know that it won't get accidentally deleted.  The
slip-covers on CDs jewel cases are big enough to accept
a listing of the CDs contents.  And they are not damaged
by magnetic fields.  Our librarians say writable CDs are
good for 10 years, which is about three time better than
floppy disk or tape.

It is also possible that CDs are less effected by cold
smoke damage than tape (which is readily effected and
the physical tape / read-head contact means that
reading a smoke-effected tape has good odds of
damaging the drive and subsequently loaded tapes).

A hint, most people stuff up tape backup by not putting the
tape drive on its own SCSI bus.  The tapes are designed
to stream past the write head, and if enough data isn't
present then a time-consuming halt and restart occurs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:09:30 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:52:27 -0800, Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Here's an incredible story of how one Linux user got their money
>> back for the Windows pre-installed on the laptop they bought.
>>
>>     http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html
>>
>> It is based on the premise that the Microsoft Software License Agreement
>> allows you to return the software if you do not agree to its terms.
>> I have nothing to do with this, except I was told about the above
>> Web page and I think all Linux users should do the same.  Good luck.
>
>I wish I'd seen that before I made my most recent computer
>purchases.
>
>One thing intrigues me ... If you read the link, Toshiba refused
>to issue a refund according to terms of the EULA.  It's seems to
>me (although of course IANAL), that refusing to follow the
>terms of the agreement (on Toshiba's part) would be breach of
>contract (between the buyer and Toshiba). Since I'm sure
>the EULA includes lots of things like forbidding reverse
>engineering and copying, if they breach the agreement, are
>you then free to do all of those nasty things?
>
>The actual contract is between the buyer and Toshiba, not
>between the buyer and Microsoft, but it seems that Toshiba
>is Microsoft's agent. If Microsoft's agent breaches the
>contract, it seems like the buyer would be free to do
>whatever he pleases with the software. I'm not planning
>on testing this theory any time soon, but it's a pleasant
>thought.

The writer purchased a computer in Australia, so Australian law
governed the purchase, but for those of you in the US, the
Universal Commercial Code is quite clear about the right of
the individual consumer to return faulty merchandise.  The
purchaser has the right to examine the product before the
purchase becomes final, and if the product is defective,
the purchaser has the reight to accept the product despite
the defect, to return the product for full refund, or to
keep one or more components and return the rest.

The OEMs, of course,  will fight this every step of the way,
given the financial penalties Microsoft's licenses impose
upon them when they follow the law, but they'll never win
in court, and they damned well know it.  So they'll stonewall
as much as they think they can get away with, but they will
eventually pay up.

--
        "I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of
that is -- `Be what you would seem to be' -- or, if you'd like it put

------------------------------

From: Pasha Zusmanovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 128 bit Netscape 4.08 built against glibc
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:49:13 +0200

Michael.Creasy wrote:

> Believe when I see it.  Yet to find a version of Netscape than can
> access http://www.michael.creasy.com without dying!!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I just accessed the said page and survived
this :-). Look on headers for exact specs. This is not valid HTML
though, so the whole point is meaningless.

--
Pasha Zusmanovich    -------o x x "What i tell you three times is true."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          o o x L.Carroll, "The Hunting of the Snark"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GeekGirl)
Subject: Re: Problems configuring mail (nmh) using PPP
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:00:04 GMT

Wow.

Well, I installed the sendmail source and checked to see if I had m4
last night in case it came to this. Gah. I must confess an extreme
aversion to devling into the internals of sendmail. Guess I'll never
get to be a guru at this rate.;)

Anway, thank you 3 times for this information. I will give it a go
tonight and see how I fare.

(BTW I didn't see a "first" reply, maybe propagation weirdness.)

GG

ps I can't believe anyone can come up with that from *memory*. Geez.

------------------------------

From: Ed Finch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beowulf Anyone?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:22:37 -0500

aallen wrote:

> Another couple of good links at CalTech:
>
> http://oscar.cacr.caltech.edu/Hrothgar/
> http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/beowulf/tutorial/tutorial.html

See also:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/026269218X/qid%3D916394248/002-7480641-6599024

http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/pondermatic.html
http://www.varesearch.com/
http://www.beowulf.org
http://www.esd.ornl.gov/facilities/beowulf/
http://loki.chpc.utah.edu/
http://nurapt.kaist.ac.kr/galaxy/
http://www.patmos-universal.com/
http://yara.ecn.purdue.edu/~pplinux/
http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/jacek/topcat/

Regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

------------------------------

From: KaSI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Info on Y2K compliancy ...
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:52:58 +0100

Hi,
well, my information about the Y2K problem in Linux is, that there is no
problem, since linux evaluates the data by the seconds that passed by since
1970 (don't know that for sure anymore).

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Visit me at http://skassal.home.pages.de
PGP key: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: KaSI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewall with linux?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:59:13 +0100

G'day,
I have recently set up my linux box with the new SuSE 6.0 and KDE. I'm
dialing up my ISP with kppp...
Since some days I've wondering if I should put up a firewall, but I
don't know if it really makes sense. I only have one computer, but I
would like to have control about the packets send to and from my box.
Can someone tell me (I'm sure someone can :->) if it makes sense to put
up a firewall for that reason?
TIA,
KaSI

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Kind of Sound Blaster Support is Found in Debian
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:59:03 -0500

Sound support is generaly handled at the kernel level, so the
distribution you use pretty much won't matter except for what kernel it
comes with.  But of course the kernel can be upgraded, so even that
becomes less of a factor.  What would be distrobution dependant would be
the extra utilities that come with it.  And even those can be added
later.  So, basically it doesn't matter what distro you chose - you can
add or subtract whatever you want or need.

One area where distros differ is the basic user interface they default
to and some of the internal file hierarchies - most notably the boot
scripts.  I've only used Slackware, so my experience is limited.  As I
understand it Red Hat, Caldera, and possibly SuSE seem to rely on the
GUI for system configuration tools.  Slackware is command line, and I
believe Debian is also.

Probably the best bet is get a multi distro package (got mine from
LinuxMall) and try 'em all.  That way you can find out what works best
for *you* -and that is the most important thing.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 20 Jan 1999 22:46:00 +0000

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
| There are a great number of other ways to distinquish yourself as unique,
| but that one at least has the advantage of not making your written
| English excessively difficult to read (merely a little more difficult).
| It probably doesn't really set you aside far enough though.  Why not try
| avoiding either commas or periods too, and many people think paragraphs
| are a total waste.  If you work hard enough at it you will be the only
| one who _can_ read what you write.

  oooh, great, sarcasm!  not only does this fool have to impute purpose he
  knows nothing about and could know nothing about to those he disagrees
  with, he has to make fun of his own misunderstanding.  gotta love that.

  as I have said: change the smallest little thing about something, and you
  get a lot of nutcases to wear large signs saying "I'm a nutcase!" so the
  whole world knows that their thinking is based, not on understanding, but
  on trivial little things that other people must get right, and they are
  themselves much more upset with something people _don't_ do than what
  they _actually_ do.

  it is my firm position that if somebody has to make fun of or attack
  something you _don't_ do, you have done _nothing_ wrong, and you are just
  looking at moralistic morons in action.  again, it's nice to be able to
  smoke them out before they do any real damage.

#:Erik
--
  SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random
  intervals to make them remember that There Has To Be A Better Way.

------------------------------

From: "Mark Stacey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: glibc and libc
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:31:37 -0000

Where can I find information about running a redhat 4.2 system with both of
these libraries installed?

The main problem I'm having is running afterstep 1.6.6. When I first
compiled it I got warnings such as:

 libc5 needed by libpng, may interfere with libc6

When I ran it, afterstep crashed and I wasn't able to run it at all. Even
running from the command caused afterstep to core dump.

I then discovered that there was a soft link /usr/lib/libc.so pointing to
/lib/libc.so.5. When i removed this, the compilation gave me warnings that
getcwd and gets were dangerous in libc.so.5. But afterstep itself loaded up.
Now most of the modules will not run in afterstep, for instance, the wharf
will core dump even from the command line.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The version of libc5 I'm running is 5.4.46
and the version of glibc I'm running is 2.0.7, both of these are the latest
versions as far as i can see.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Subject: Re: Is there a CD label print program for Linux?
Date: 20 Jan 1999 20:51:08 GMT

[posted and emailed]

Les Hazelton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have searched DeJaNews several times and checked the
>comp.os.linux.announce news group but have not been able to locate any
>posts relating to printing CD-R labels under Linux.  I also checked
>freshmeat and rufus to no avail.
>
>If anyone knows of such a program I would sure appreciate a pointer to
>it.

As such, I don't think there is one.

What I do is use TeX and the PSTricks package plus epsf.  It
beats anything I've seen on any other system.  The current
variation that I use prints a name/address line in a circular
arc around the left edge of the label, puts a title in the upper
half, a 1" square image on the right side, puts a copyright
notice in a circular arc on the right edge, and has a date, plus
when appropriate a company logo, in the bottom area.  In color
of course.

I'm thinking of finding an appropriate bowhead whale image
and/or a polar bear image that can be overlaid on the entire
label instead of putting the 1" square image on the right side.
The problem is finding an image that will be recognizable even
with a big hole in the center, and have uncluttered areas where
things like the title go.

I also generate top and bottom labels for the CD carriers.  The
top label is an image of the CD label, with circles where the
outer edge and the hole would be.  The bottom label has a
title on one end, an address on the other end, and puts a larger
image of the same picture in the middle of the back side.  It
needs a little work to make it look better...

TeX comes highly recommended...  because it can do exactly this
sort of thing as well as format letters to the grandkids or mom
or whatever!

If you would like to see what it looks like I can email a
Postscript file with a typical label on it.

If you are familiar enough with TeX that you want to give it a
try, email me and I'll package up what I have with some
instructions on how to use it.  It isn't totally generic, but
has been moving in that direction.  I have three lines in one
file that define the title lines and the image file to use, then
I just type "make" and it is done.  It works best of course with
a color printer, but ain't too bad in b/w.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: JiPUSTRADAMUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: A newbie versus "vi"
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:40:47 +0200

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Kelly and Sandy wrote:

>     So, reiterating:  can I get a GUI editor by invoking some other
> command, or the right vi -switches or is it something I have to download
> off the web?

Hmm... this isn't _exactly_ what you asked for, but try using emacs under
X-windows. It's got all those pull-down menus etc. etc. and it is also
VERY configurable (albeit not very easily, but I believe you can download
all kinds of patches to it to make your life simpler...)

Or then you might want to install Xemacs (shoul be included in RH5.2) which
is totally designed for X-windows. I believe it even has some games in it?!?

Well, hope this helped..

JP

------------------------------

From: Piotr Wanat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:58:55 GMT

Andrew Comech wrote:

> jesus freaking christ...
> never mind patches!!! these are only for those guys
> who want to contribute to checking things which
> are to be/not to be included into later kernels.
> Linux works just fine if you do not even know what
> the word PATCH means. I myself only used this patching
> once, when I got interested in enabling Ultra DMA
> thing of the hard drive. And -- this doubled buffered
> disk reads, to 12.50 MB/sec (my HDD == Quantum EX, 6.4MB).
> Perhaps L. Torvalds decided he liked this too and
> included UDMA support into 2.2.0 kernel.
> Are you BSD addicts sure you have had UDMA support for
> on-board IDE chipsets (I've got MVP3 based PA-2013)
> right off the cuff?

        Nope, you're wrong. Current Linux releases need immediate patching
after installation if you consider running it in LAN. Here, in my
student's campus ppl use mostly W9x/NT. If someone decides to install
and run Linux in local network and share FS via Samba, he's the first
person whose machine is hacked.

PTR
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UIN:9044598

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: Tuning Kernel Parameters In Linux (Redhat)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:45:25 GMT

Hi,
How do you tune the Kernel parameter SHMMAX in linux (Redhat)?
Under SysV /etc/conf/bin/idtune would be used.. how is this done
under linux?
Neil.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:22:47 -0800

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:54:43 -0600, Michael Lee Yohe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have advice for you guys: get a life.
>
>Every problem that Windows has is also evident in _all_ other breeds of
>operating systems.
>
>Every problem with "bloat" is also evident in _all_ other breeds of
>operating systems _and_ applications.  But most people would not know this
>because they've used two operating systems: Windows and Linux.  I've been
>using operating systems of all types for many years now - the problem is not
>Microsoft-specific.  The problem is "programming-in-general" specific.
>
>Understand this guys - "bloat" is a relative term.  Perhaps most of you
>don't appreciate the "additional" features.  For you I would say steer clear

        Well, DUH!

        One should be able to interact with the rest of the
        computing universe without being forced to deal with
        bloat that they don't necessarily need or want just
        to deal with network effects.

>of any software made nowadays.  Otherwise - your opinion is merely your
>own - and I would advise you to substantiate your evidence with clear
>examples.
>
>This argument has turned to nonsense as all people really want to do is bash
>Microsoft - not address the true problem - the lack of discipline by
>programmers, Microsoft and otherwise, to produce lean code.
>
>-- "anything written in anything besides assembly is bloated"

        Anything that does other than what the users'
        specificiation calls for is a waste of space,
        cpu cycles, money and licences.

        The user should have the option of avoiding those
        costs if they so choose with minimal effect outside
        the restrictions they are placing on their own utility.

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "John De Hoog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.sun.apps
Subject: Re: StarOffice and Microsoft Office
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:03:35 +0900

Timothy J. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote...

>For a group of users used to using Microsoft Office (and passing
>around Microsoft documents due to existing licenses of Microsoft
>Office), what kind of issues, if any, could there be for:
>
>a.  Some users use StarOffice while others use Microsoft Office
>    (i.e. file formats and the like -- are they totally compatible,
>    or are there some things that don't work so well?).
>b.  Users used to Microsoft Office using StarOffice for the first
>    time -- will they have significant problems?

There are still plenty of conversion problems between Word and StarWriter,
in both directions. Numbering and bullets are especially problematic. Star
is reportedly "working" on these problems, but for a Version 5 product their
entire suite still feels primitive compared to MS Office.

The weakest parts of StarOffice are the news and email components, but these
can be avoided.

The spreadsheet program feels surprisingly like Excel, so it should be easy
to adjust to. StarWriter, on the other hand, feels more like an html editor
than a word processor. Word users won't like the floating menus, or having
to perform two steps to do basic things that take one step in Word (like
applying styles or using the autocorrect function). Like you, I started out
with high hopes for this suite as an alternative to Office, but I have been
largely disappointed so far.

--
John De Hoog
http://dehoog.org

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOLUTION: mkdir fails: too many links
Date: 20 Jan 1999 17:31:39 -0500

Brian Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> #define EXT2_LINK_MAX           32000
>
> Upping this number and building a new kernel gives us breathing space we
> need.

and have you walked through the code and verified that you're not risking
overflowing anything anywhere?

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: GTK+ Install problem
Date: 20 Jan 1999 15:58:19 -0500

Bill Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/gtk+-1.1.12/po'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `deNONE', needed by `all-yes'.

disabling nls in the configure script fixed this for me.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen St.Clair)
Subject: Re: Star Trek window manager?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:19:19 GMT

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:00:20 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias
Warkus) wrote:

>Some guy recently e-mailed me because of my large collection of window
>managers, assuming I was some kind of "insider" (which of course I am not),
>thus asking me whether I had heard of a window manager that was based on
>Star Trek (I take it he meant the user interface of the TNG computers).
>
>If there is one, I'd like to put it into my collection. So, I ask the people
>who really are insiders with respect to window managers: is there?

Hmmm. I once had a Star Trek Win95 theme on my machine. I can't recall
where I got it. Perhaps this was what he was referring to? It did look
like the GUI of the TNG computers...as far as I could tell.

Steve

comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:34:52 GMT

Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Probably piping the output of Word->ASCII convertor (I've heard there are such
> beasts) to grep might be used if you are *really* pressed.

strings(1) is your friend...

--
jim