Linux-Misc Digest #529, Volume #21               Tue, 24 Aug 99 21:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Kevin Esme Cowles)
  sendmail/email question (Mitch)
  Re: sendmail/email question (Chetan Patil)
  Strange login (Jim Engstrom)
  Re: ppp problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: System requirements (Robert Heller)
  Re: BIOS upgrade needs DOS(??) ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Re: menuconfig boot issue (#2) (Trent Gamblin)
  Re: my monitor doesn't like Linux (Patricia)
  Re: why not C++? (Tristan Wibberley)
  Re: This is crazy - cannot find stdio.h! (Collin W. Hitchcock)
  Re: Installing a printer when no x is avalible (Robert Heller)
  How to disable annoying gnome startup messages and applications? (Rich Cook At
SecLab)
  Re: File system repair after crash (T.T. Lee)
  Re: File system repair after crash (Collin W. Hitchcock)
  Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Video4Linux w/ bt878 ("R.K.Aa")
  Sun 3/50 as Xterminal for Linux (Klaus Rotter)
  Video4Linux w/ bt878 (Jeff Brubaker)
  Formatting numbers in PHP3 ("Juan Riera")
  slocate script problem in cron (Yury Donskoy)
  Re: upgrade linux kernel (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!! (Matthew Vanecek)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Esme Cowles)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:40:34 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Heeeeeeeez back!  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Reformatted to make the thing understandable...
>(What is it with people these days? Laziness or stupidity?)
>
>patman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:7pm0mp$fut$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> Name five.
>
>> Melissa, happy99, cih, troj_boclient,
>> troj_boserver,stupid1,suicide,sucker,sunday,sundevil,stunning blow
>> Oh.. I'm sorry you said 5 didn't you?
>
>Ahem.... Unix? Melissa? Happy99? They aren't Unix! They're shitty windross
>and Turd viruses... I'll assume the others are as well, seeing as I've never
>heard of 'em...

Of course these are Windows virii.

If you take a second to think things through, the challenge that Tim Smith
levelled and patman answered, was to name five Windows virii (in response
to the original poster's assertion that there were thousands).

As long as you're accusing people of being lazy or stupid, you might as
well *read* what they're saying.

-esme
--
Esme Cowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              .
http://gort.ucsd.edu/escowles/                                   . .

------------------------------

From: Mitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: sendmail/email question
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:00:00 GMT

I realize that my question might have already been answered to a certain

extent in previous messages on newsgroups, however, I'm still unable to
figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.  I have searched the deja.com
archives and found certain tidbits of information that might be useful,
but I'm still unsure about how to setup this entire configuration.

SO....here goes.....

I'm trying to configure my newly installed RH 6.0 box to receive both
my work email and home email.  I think I understand all the general
issues
of MTU MUA etc., however, the configuration of sendmail is a bit
confusing.
On my redhat box (my workstation) I've got an account called "foo".  At
work,
I have an email account "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", at home I have "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" &
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  So, now you have some background...heres where I need
some
help.

I'd like to be able to receive my email(work & home) to my linux box.  I
read
in deja's archives that fetchmail was a recommended solution for this.
I'm
currently play with it :)  However, if my understanding of fetchmail is
correct
all mail (home & work) will be delivered to my local account:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  I've tested this, and it seems to work this
way.  This
is fine, however, when I reply to a message (one from work or home) I
always
reply with "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  This is bad.  I somehow would like
to be
able to reply to mail to my work account with [EMAIL PROTECTED] and my home
account
as [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Any suggestions on how to achieve with

sendmail?  Besides reading the FAQ - which I've done...does anyone have
similar configuration that I might be able to look at?

If anyone knows of an easier of accomplishing this...then I'm all for
it.  yes
I've tried KMAIL, however, it's pretty buggy and I prefer elm (uses VI
:P ).

Much Thanks!!!!

.mitch

------------------------------

From: Chetan Patil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: sendmail/email question
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:15:11 GMT

I used to have a similar problem. There is no apparent easy solution for
this. Finally I had set up two user profiles with my Netscape with
different identities and reply-to fields. This worked for me without
having to muck with Sendmail etc. However it was tiring to keep on
restarting the browser just to check my home email from work.
Lately I have started to use one of the free web based email providers
(www.onebox.com). They provide a variety of other features as well and
allow me to collect all my emails in one place. I use onebox to pull my
home emails there and check them from anywhere.

Hope this helps.
Chetan

------------------------------

From: Jim Engstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange login
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:33:23 +0200

When I do login with ROOT the first time after a shutdown my system
starts werry slow and I canīt use the shutdown (I run Gnome w
Enlightment). But if i first log in with a user and directly log off and
then login the ROOT itīs runs okay. I can,t find any help in the FAQ and
I don,t remember me to do any stupid things with my system. My 2nd
problem is that my icons are stuck and I can,t move them, HELP! I dont
like my layout .
Sorry for the spelling, but I think Iīm lerning. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp problems
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:48:08 GMT

Thanks for all the help guys.  Unfortunately, nothing has done the
trick yet.  I have been using KPPP and tried upping the timeout and
adding netscape to the program execution box, but I still get the
timeouts.  I worked through the 11+ page ppp sheet that was suggested,
but it made no changes that I could tell.  The log generated is very
ambiguous and states no problems until it shows "terminating on signal
15" or something like that.  It basicaly just sits there trying to
"connect to the network" before it times out - every time. There were
a couple times I tried to do something outlined in the sheet but
received a "permission denied."  Interestng since I was logged in as
root.  Anyway, I have sent emails to my ISP and the support company I
have access to for purchasing the software but have heard nothing back
of course - and probably won't either if past experience is any
indicator.  After spending about 10 hours the past couple days just
trying to get Linux to connect to my ISP I'm thinking it probably
isn't worth the hassle.  Heck, as crappy as Windows is, it at least
can manage a simple ISP connection without having to become a
programming expert first.  It's probably just frustration getting the
best of me, I'll give it another shot after I simmer down a little...
;-)

Thanks again, the help is appreciated..

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System requirements
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:51:53 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:22:13 GMT, wrote :

c> Hi,
c>
c> I need to build a computer that will act as an internet gateway (via
c> cable modem) for 5 users.  In addition, this computer will be used for
c> joining my LAN to another LAN (VPN).
c>
c> How fast of a computer is required to do this?  Will a 486 66 do the
c> job?  How much memory is required?

Yep.  16-32 meg of RAM and 1-2 gig hard disk, two (three?) 3C509's. Floppy
drive. CD-ROM -- only needed for install -- if one of the boxes on your
LAN speaks NFS and has the Linux CD-ROM copied to a NFS exported volume,
you don't even need the CD-ROM drive -- use use NFS over your LAN.  Any
random video card -- you only need it in text console mode -- install
X11 *clients* only -- presumbly you have another Linux box more
'normally' setup (with X-Server) you can use as a 'remote' console.

I understand it is possible to configure Lilo and the Kernel to not use
the video card & keyboard as the console and use one of the com ports
as the console.  In which case, you don't even need a video card
(unless the BIOS barfs if it is absent).  There is a 'fake' keyboard
connector thingy that fools the  BIOS into believing there is a
keyboard when there isn't (only really needed this for totally broken
BIOSs that cannot be told to ignore a missing keyboard on bootup).

c>
c> Thanks,
c> Chris
c>
c>
c> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
c> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
c>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS upgrade needs DOS(??)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:53:53 GMT

Doug DeJulio wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >where do you find a booting ms-dos diskette these days?  all i have is
> >linux.  is there a site with an ms-dos image i can dd to the floppy?
> >how do i make a fat12 filesystem?
>
> Try looking at "http://www.freedos.org/".  It's an attempt at an
> open-source DOS workalike.
>
> It's not far enough along to reliably run all DOS software yet, but in
> most cases it should be sufficient for applications like BIOS updates
> and hardware configuration utilities.
> --
> Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

Actually you can sys a disk from Windows 95/98 and put the BIOS stuff on
it.

Don

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trent Gamblin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: menuconfig boot issue (#2)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:56:48 GMT

* Oystein Viggen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2.3.7, you mean. The 2.2.xx-series has never gotten the VFS makeover
> breaking all filesystems.

Oops! You're right..

------------------------------

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: my monitor doesn't like Linux
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:29:25 +0200

Artie wrote:

> I had a friend install Linux on my system because I wasn't sure how with
> WIN 98 already present.  I have Linux on a seperate drive.  When I boot up
> I either type "dos" to go to Windows or hit enter to go to Linux. I get
> all the way to the login and then my monitor goes blank.  Can anybody
> PLEASE help me?
>
> I have an IBM Aptive model:  2176-C33 with a Packard Bell Monitor.
>
> Thanks,
> Artie

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Hi Artie,

I gess it's setup to load  X at bootup,but it's not configured the right way.

Try  alt F1
if you see merssages on the screen, and no promt, type CTRL -C
then you can log in

type Xconfigurator
an try configuring X for you're videocard
If you're card is not in the list choose custom an try to find a setup for
you're card

HTH :-)

Patricia

--
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15

 11:57pm  up  1:18,  3 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.25, 0.20

------------------------------

From: Tristan Wibberley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:19:57 +0100

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> one thing that bothers me in C++ is the lack of additional operations.
> for example, in matrix math, you might want two kinds of
> multiplication.  element-wise or as a matrix.  matlab uses .* and *
> respectively.  C++ doesn't offer any new operators.  if C++ had a few
> unnassigned operations, you could overload them with perhaps less
> confusion than redefining something as basic as addition.

A general operator syntax, now that would be nice :)

  C = A `x B;   // cross product
  C = A `. B;   // dot product

or something like that - What trigraph would you use for that symbol,
\\' maybe.

  C = A \\'x B;
  C = A \\'. B;

heehee :)

--
Tristan Wibberley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Subject: Re: This is crazy - cannot find stdio.h!
Date: 24 Aug 1999 14:01:15 -0400

> I checked out the GNU site and it seemed to indicate that this is
> included in the glibc library, so I checked my system and
> apparently, that's already installed.

Redhat splits the glibc package in two.  glibc-devel contains header
files and all the other things you only need if you want to compile.
Perhaps you have installed glibc but not glibc-devel?

Collin

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing a printer when no x is avalible
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:20:00 GMT

  "Martin Nilsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:20:41 +0200, wrote :

"N> How do I install a printer (Oki OL610ex) on my RH 6.0 system. I haven't any
"N> X window because the computer is old and is a server. Printtool doesn't work
"N> if you don't have X. And how do I solve the problem that i only get 1 line
"N> printed at my paper (tested the printer on my workstation but it has X
"N> installed). Yes I know that I should change LF -> LF,CR but how.

OK, since you say it is a server, I will assume it is on a LAN.  One of
the *wonderful* things about X11 (while Micr$oft totally loses) is that
X11 is a *networked* system.  I am presuming you have a Linux
*workstation* somewhere on your LAN.  If so this is what you do:

Log onto the workstation and fire up X (eg 'startx', unless it is using
xdm).  Open a terminal window and enter:

% xhost +servername
% telnet servername

and log into the server.  It probably won't let you telnet in as root --
this is normal, login as a normal user (you did create a normal user
account?). I will also assume you installed sudo (available as an RPM
from the RedHat contrib directory).

Once logged into the server do this:

% setenv DISPLAY workstationname:0.0
(or 'export DISPLAY=workstationname:0.0' if using bash)

Then:

% sudo printtool
Password: <enter your password>

The printtool GUI pops up on your workstation and you can do what needs
to be done.

"N>
"N> /Martin
"N>
"N>
"N>

--
                                     \/

From: Rich Cook At SecLab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How to disable annoying gnome startup messages and applications?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:05:54 -0700

Hi, I'm using gnome with RHLinux 6.0, and it has some
automatically-starting applications which I hate, like its stupid
terminal program.  But I cannot find how to turn them off.  The Control
Center: Session Manager route doesn't do it.  I looked through all the
config files in my home directory...
Can someone help?  Thx.

------------------------------

From: T.T. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: File system repair after crash
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:18:30 GMT

> Mount your filesystems with the sync option (instead of the default
> async) to reduce the chance of unrecoverable filesystem damage in a
> crash.

excuse me, newbie question here. How do I do that (mount the filesystem
with "sync" option)? Thanks

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 24 Aug 1999 14:36:53 -0400

> Fortunately, I had just installed Linux on this system, so it was easier for
> me to simply reinstall this time, while moving some data and downloaded RPMS
> to a DOS share drive.

> However, I don't want this to be my solution.

> I'd like to learn a comprehensive strategy/approach to repairing my file
> system after a crash.

<self righteous weenie>
1) Backup often
2) UPS
</self righteous weenie>

Since you are using a distribution that uses RPM, instead of
reinstalling from scratch you could boot in single user mode and at
the command line do "rpm -Va" to verify all packages installed.  Then
just replace the damaged packages.  This is an inherently messy
process; you will end up reinstalling things that don't need to be
reinstalled and you might miss a problem that needs to be repaired.
Use the files in lost+found to help.  For advice on how to avoid the
problem, see the previous paragraph.

Collin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:23:22 GMT

Hi, you can take a look at this site http://smallpig.net/sporum.  The
program is inexpensive. Supports both threaded and linear discussions;
stores messages in an SQL database.

In article <MPG.121b7dc7ff043104989a05@news>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I am looking for software that will allow people to post messages
and
> > replies but in a browser format, not a newsgroup.  Other terms would
be
> > message board, or bbs.  I have used a very good commercial product
for
> > Windows call Webboard by O'Reilly, but I am looking for something
free or
> > low cost.
>
> Have a look at
>
> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/worms/w2w/
>
> and see if that does all that you want it to. If you decide it does,
> you're welcome to the source for it. I'm in the middle of a complete
> rewrite which should make it much easier to get up and running, but I
> don't know how long that will take. I'll give you a hand with it all
if
> you like.
>
> There are Perl and PHP based systems around too - my one is written in
C,

From: "R.K.Aa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video4Linux w/ bt878
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:29:44 GMT

Jeff Brubaker wrote:

> I recently got a Phoebe TV Master card for my PC - a bt878 based TV tuner/
> video input device.  I have not tested the other inputs yet, but when I
> try to tune to a station, all I get is static.
>
> I'm using XawTV set to NTSC and NTSC-cable.  The device works in Win98,
> so it's not hardware related.
>
> The static is interesting -- only the first few lines of the display
> are staticky.
>
> Is it possible that the tuner is not supported but the video is?  I'm
> going to have to try the other inputs later, when I find a device to hook
> up.

I don't know the card but you HAVE of course made a channels list and
saved it first?

K.

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/Linux_and_tv.html#ttf

------------------------------

From: Klaus Rotter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.admin
Subject: Sun 3/50 as Xterminal for Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:39:45 +0200

I am trying to setup an old Sun 3/50 as an Xterminal for Linux. I found the
Linux-Xkernel-2.0e.tar.gz package which should contain everything needed.
I have set everything up accroding to the documentation but the sun won't
boot. It says:

> Auto-boot in progress...
> Using IP Adress 192.168.0.3 = (C0A80003)
> Boot: le(0,0,0)
> Booting from tftp server at 192.168.0.2 = C0A80002

and then it waits and waits... and after a few minutes a kernel boot message
comes up:

> SunOS Release 4.1.1 (DEATHROCK) #5: Thu Feb 10 12:15:14 MST 1994
[...]
> Hostname = xhost
> domainname = none
> root on server:/usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3 fstype nfs
[...]
> panic: init died

Linux sysinfo does:

> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[544]: connect from 192.168.0.3
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: requested file "C0A80003".
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: Mode octet.
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: sending requested file.

So I think there is something transfered. But why does it take such long
time ?
I have found that one must patch a sun kernel to get it to work with Linux
NFS (see below). Has my problem  something to do with this fact ? Is this
also true for 2.2.x Linux kernels ?

> Linux networking currently does not support packet fragmentation.
> Unfortunately, Sun NFS by default uses packet sizes that require
> fragmentation.  Normally, options can be set on the Sun to reduce the
> NFS packet size from 8192 bytes to 1024 bytes, thus avoiding
> fragmentation.  However, when the Sun is BOOTING over nfs, there is no
> way to change the defaults.  Thus, they need to be changed IN THE SUN
> KERNEL.  This file describes how to patch a Sun3 kernel so that it can
> be booted from linux over NFS.  Original credit for the kernel
> modifications goes to Mark Eichin.

Unfortunatly, I have no possibility to boot SunOS. Is there a way to alter
the KERNEL using the build in monitor ? And, where is the kernel stored ?
[I just looked and found that the kernel ist stored in
/usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3/vmunix.] There should be a way to alter that
kernel, isn't it ?

Thanks a lot for any help, -Klaus

--
 Klaus Rotter * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeff Brubaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video4Linux w/ bt878
Date: 24 Aug 1999 18:44:25 GMT

I recently got a Phoebe TV Master card for my PC - a bt878 based TV tuner/
video input device.  I have not tested the other inputs yet, but when I
try to tune to a station, all I get is static.

I'm using XawTV set to NTSC and NTSC-cable.  The device works in Win98,
so it's not hardware related.

The static is interesting -- only the first few lines of the display
are staticky.

Is it possible that the tuner is not supported but the video is?  I'm
going to have to try the other inputs later, when I find a device to hook
up.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Juan Riera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Formatting numbers in PHP3
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:48:33 +0200

Hello,
I want to change dot separator in decimal numbers in PHP3 printout (coming
from a double field on MySQL table) to comma
(ej. 2.30 -> 2,30)
Do you know how can I get it?

Thanks,
Juan Riera

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:34:30 -0400
From: Yury Donskoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slocate script problem in cron

Hi there,

I use Mandrake 6 dist, and after I upgraded to that, I get an error from
cron.daily that the script slocate had syntax error: an unexpected end
of file.  I've checked all the brackets, and they all see to match.  Can
anyone explain to me how to fix this problem?

Thanks.
Yury.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: upgrade linux kernel
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:35:20 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hung P. Tran wrote:
> When I try to recompile the kernel using "make zImage",
> I receive an error of duplicate variable from
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/checksum.c.

In the future, it would be helpful for you to quote the _exact_
error message.  In this case, I believe that you are having the
following problem (quoted from Deja archives, which you could
have used as well):

There is no (ix86) checksum.c file in the 2.2 kernel series.  It must
be left over from some old kernel source.  Delete it.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.mail.imap
Subject: Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!!
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:31:43 -0500

Hope you don't hate personal email too much from newsgroups, but I found
some interesting stuff out using your suggestion, plus your message
hasn't made it to my news server yet. :/ Anyhow....

Martin Bligh wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
> >Nothing works.  Procmail runs, as far as I can tell, but there are no
> >error messages, and mail doesn't get deliverd, using either deliver or
> >the wrapper.
>
> Set the LOGFILE variable in procmail - this should tell you if it
> receives the mail, and where it went to ....
>
> Martin

Ok, learn something new every day.  I set that, and this is what I get,
from messages coming in via Postfix:

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Wed Aug 11 14:04:18 1999
 Subject: root test
  Folder: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver-wrapper
user.me2v.local                    577
user.me2v.Backup: Message contains invalid header
user.me2v.local: Message contains invalid header

I applied a message to procmail directly, with one Received header,
Message ID header, From:, To:, etc, and this is what I get:

 Subject: testing for headers
  Folder: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver-wrapper
user.me2v.local                    865

Capturing all the headers procmail receives reveals the following:

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:23:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: test once again

It's that first "From" that's messing things up.  I'm not sure where it
gets stuck in there, though, or how to get rid of it.  If I stick a sed
call in there to 's/From /From: /', it delivers, but I'd hate to think I
have to do that for every rule.  Optimally, I'd like to find out where
Postfix sticks that header in, and either change it or get rid of it.
It's probably some configuration change I made in postfix, for a
masquerade or something, but I don't know yet.

If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it, if you're familiar with
Postfix...
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis