From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing RH linux on a Windows98/NT Server machine
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:06:05 GMT

  "D. M. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:57:31 +0100, wrote :

"MS> A year or so ago I installed Red Hat Linux 5.2  on a 266 Cyrix PC. It was a
"MS> struggle as this was a cheapo PC and I had things like onboard Sis graphics,
"MS> moody built in sound
"MS> etc  to deal with but I
"MS> eventually got it up and running and pottered about with it every now and
"MS> then but lost
"MS> interest somewhat when I couldn't for the life of me get Samba going
"MS> properly
"MS> so I could access shared resources on NT boxes on My LAN and vice versa. I
"MS> could however, access the net using a win 98 machine on my LAN as a proxy
"MS> server.
"MS> anyway, I now have a new all singing all dancing machine and would like to
"MS> give Linux another go particularly on a distribution that includes a more or
"MS> less preconfigured Samba service as I'm not that au fait with linux on the
"MS> whole as yet..
"MS> The Specification of this machine is as follows:
"MS>
"MS> Athlon 700MHz  Thunderbird.
"MS> 256Mb of PC100 SDRAM
"MS> Gigabyte GA-71XE Motherboard
"MS> 20.4 Gb Seagate Barracuda
"MS> 7200 rpm UltraDMA 66 hard disk
"MS>  Pioneer DVD-ROM / 40-speed CD-ROM (DVD-115)
"MS> Teac Cd-W54E CD-RW
"MS> 32Mb nVIDIA GeForce 256 SDR Graphics Card (3d Prophet)
"MS> 17in Mitsubishi Pro Natural Flat Monitor .25mm
"MS> Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 1024
"MS> Creative Labs Four Point Surround Speakers
"MS> Diamond Supra V.90 modem
"MS>
"MS> and it hosts Windows 98 Se and NT server 4.0 in a dual boot configuration.
"MS> Now what I would like to know is are there any caveats I should watch out
"MS> for regarding the components herein?
"MS> Is red Hat Linux 6.2 a good choice for hardware compatibility etc or is
"MS> there a better distribution?
"MS> Will it install OK along with NT server AND 98 and possibly Win2K. I dual
"MS> booted 5.2 with Windows 95 without any problems.
"MS> Any advice, pointers, warnings, tips, etc. would be most welcome.

Some notes:  for a linux *server* the video and sound cards are not an
issue (servers are best with out X11 running and have no reason to make
noise as they sit in their dark machine rooms).

*I* would not recommend an *IDE* disk for a server.

Is the modem internal?  If so you will probably have problems...

The hardware *looks* like a workstation configuration, not a server
configuration.

As for hardware compatibility, all distros are much the same.  SuSE is
said to be best for bleeding edge video cards, but that is not generally
a *server* issue.  The DVD under Linux is problematical, at least in
terms of *legally* (?) playing movies.  It should work otherwise as an
"oversize" CD-ROM drive.  The IDE CD-RW will be fun (or not) to setup
and use under Linux (SCSI is better / saner / easier).

"MS> Cheers.
"MS> Darren.
"MS> --
"MS> Please remove SPAMLESS from my address to reply by email.
"MS> and for all the dirty little spam bots out there:
"MS> root@localhost
"MS> admin@localhost
"MS> postmaster@localhost
"MS> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>
"MS>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Debian Dual Boot
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:26:44 -0500

I want to dual boot Debian Linux Potato 2.2 with Windows 98 Second Edition.
I currently have a system dual booting RH 6.2 with Windows 98 SE.  I have
two hard drives one for each OS.  I want to remove RH and put in Debian.

How do I do this without interupting LILO/ the boot process?

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: bad sector
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:16:42 +0100

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, crow wrote:

>does anybody know how I can get around a bad sector?
>(it's not necessary that I keep my current data)

In a taxi. Oh, what's that? You mean your hard disk?  :o)

$ man badblocks

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3D w/ Matrox G400
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:27:15 GMT

Guys,

I'm trying to configure GLX and a Matrox G400 and am having some
trouble.  The main area I'm seeing the trouble in is using BZflag in
Linux.  Here's an e-mail I sent, but haven't made any progress with,
yet.  If anyone has some help for me, please let me know!!  Thanks.

=-=-=

When I start BZ, it detects the GLX-MATROX-G400 (or whatever it says as
the last line when starting).  When I connect to a server and start
moving around, things may start out OK, but then get extremely slow.  I
had the frame/sec up and only had 2, and I know it was lower 'cause the
screen froze for a good 3 to 4 seconds before moving, then sitting some
more.

I'm somewhat confident that other things are running alright.  I turn on
hw_boxes and see that most of the time, I have the green box (which
means I'm using h/w).  The first box is white, though, which means that
the card is getting instructions from the X server, which can slow
things down.  But, even so, I don't think it should be as slow as it
is.  I've run the Mesa/demos executables that come with the source and
things look good (especially the Mesa/demos/gloss demo, WOW).

I'm using XFree86 3.3.6 with Mesa 3.2 and GLX 20000328.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

-rd

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:51:43 -0500

[ reply turned right-side up ]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, lobotomy quoth:

~~ Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:37:03 GMT
~~ From: lobotomy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:11:37 GMT, "Database"
~~ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~
~~ >Whats the best window manager?
~~ >
~~ >
~~ >database
~~
~~ twm

Oh yeah, well:

http://perlwm.sourceforge.net

I think this one has got to take the cake for most feature
poor window manager.  Check out the screen shots.

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills?
Date: 22 Aug 2000 22:49:06 GMT

And MH Spoke:
>I've been using Linux for about a year and half--I have it installed on
>3 boxes on a home network--and am just becoming comfortable with the
>basics. I would eventually like to move from my current position as a
>Windows Network Administrator into a similar position in a Linux
>environment.
>
>There is NO chance we will be migrating to Linux at my job, since all
>the software we use is donated by MS. I do not think I can master all of
>the skills necessary to do this simply by reading and fiddling with a
>3-box network without any real users--it's just too artificial.
>
>I am considering taking a 5-day "boot camp" on Linux Administration, but
>am concerned about the real benefits of such a short learning period,
>even if taught by reputable and knowledgeable professionals in a
>hands-on environment.

If you've already got a home network setup and you are doing basic
things with Linux, I doubt a boot camp will be worth the money.

It sounds like you want to change jobs anyway, so what I suggest is
that you look for a position with a small company where you can be
"the IT guy".  You make all the purchasing decisions, all the network
arch decisions, etc.  Then you can start with mostly Windows and
migrate to mostly Linux as you learn more and more.

On the other hand, if you are a quick learner you can do what I did.
I'm a programmer.  I learned on Unix machines at school but then did
all Windows/DOS programming on the job.  I installed Linux at home and
played with it for a couple of years and then just applied to a Linux
programming position.  They offered, I accepted and now I'm free!

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: Randy Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need serious help here... X hates me!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:07:10 -0500

Scott:

What you want to do in setting up a firewall with two ethernet cards is very
common. There are many articles on the web on how to do this. I suggest you
search for "firewall" and "home network" articles. I beleive the
LINUX GAZETTE has such articles that are aimed at Linux users with little
experience in this area.

With respect to DSL, be sure you know if your connection will be strictly
TCP/IP with either a static or dynamic IP address or PPP over ethernet
(PPPoE). If it is PPPoE I suggest you visit the Roaring Penguin website as
they have the necessary software for PPPoE and lots of good information
regarding PPPoE.

Sorry I don't have any URLs handy, but a quick search should find the sites.

My own setup uses a pair of ISA NE2000 clones in the firewall and an ADSL
connection using PPPoE. I didn't have much experience with networks prior to
setting up my firewall, but by reading the various HOW-TOs and articles at
various websites I was able to setup my firewall and ADSL connection with
very few problems under RedHat 6.2.

Most articles dealing with DSL connections assume the use of a static
IP address or DHCP. I haven't seen any yet that discuss PPPoE in any detail.
That why visiting the Roaring Penguin website is so important if you will be
using PPPoE.

I know this is a rather general reply, but if you can figure out what to do
from articles and HOW-TOs you will be better off.

If, after trying to set things up, you are still having problems and need
answers to specific questions I will be happy to help you as best I can, but
I am NOT an expert in this area.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

--
Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mail checked week nights and weekends)

------------------------------

From: "crow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 03:16:04 +0200

:
: In a taxi. Oh, what's that? You mean your hard disk?  :o)
:
: $ man badblocks

you should go to bed earlier :)
thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:18:08 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Michael Meding would say:
>Michel Catudal schrieb:
>>
>> Garry Knight a écrit :

>> > Surely you mean french... :o)
>> >

>> It is multilingual. It just fixes the fuck ups of RedHat in that
>> regard while maintening a similar amount of core dumps that RedHat
>> users are used to.
>
>You do not think that was a joke ? He was refering adding polish like
>"polishing something" not adding support for the polish language. I
>guess the guy mentioning french did understand it.....

"Adding polish" is only really correct if we're talking about the
language.

If we're talking about the action, while the process of polishing may
initially involve adding in some sort of polishing agent, the later
steps involve _removing_ that agent, along with some portions of the
material of the thing being polished.

I'd say that's _entirely_ likely to be the case for "polishing" a
Linux distribution; there may be some polishing agents added, but the
later processing is likely to _diminish_ the total amount of material
that is there.

--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:18:33 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when moonie;) would say:
>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.misc Kenneth Rorvik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
>>: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>

>>:>> Oh well, but the "optimization" would still apply to the later
>>:>> generation Pentiums, plus K5, K6's and up.
>>:>
>>:>this assumption would be wrong.
>>:>
>>:>> Even if the performance gain is minimal.
>>:>
>>:>it's not minimal -- it's *negative*.
>>
>>: Please explain :)
>>
>>Negative is negative. What's to explain? If you attempt to reorder
>>machine instructions to gain advantage for a particular architecture,
>>you will not be optimizing it for a second architecture. In fact
>>you will be specializing the code and thereby rendering ineffective
>>the strategies used by the second architecture to "optimize on the
>>fly", because those strategies are aimed at the general case.
>>
>>The effect is particularly noticable wrt i586 and i686 architectures.
>>That's because the i686 contains gigantic internal logic aimed at
>>optimizing 386 code dynamically.  Any attempt to second guess it at
>>compile time (or, indeed, replace the 386 code with specialized 586
>>code) disadvantages that internal mechanism.  I'm tallking about the
>>branch heuristics here in particular.
>>
>>You've also got to consider the pipeline optimizations and instruction
>>reorderings that can take place.  It'll be more difficult to reorder
>>specialized instructions that generic ones (the RISC/CISC effect).
>>
>>There is also wastage due to the different memory alignment schemes,
>>but I don't think it will be nocicable going 586 to 686.
>>
>>You'd win again on a 787 architecture, though (:-).
>
>If this argument is correct then why did GCC go to the PGCC code for
>the latest release of the GCC?  If your argument is correct then ALL
>of Linux just took a big leap backwards.

Assuming that the -mi686 options and such get commonly used, then that
may indeed be the case.  If you compile with an instruction scheduling
scheme that assumes that you have a different CPU than you actually
have, performance will not be optimal.  [Mind you, it is _possible_
that the schedule will be better than what you had before, even though
it is not tuned to your CPU...]

The methodology, lurking in the wings, for it to be an unambiguous
improvement, is the "install and compile from source" approach.  This
approach allows you to compile with the options that _your_ CPU needs,
thereby allowing you to actually get full benefit from any instruction
scheduling that is done.

The BSDs can do this readily; the Ports "package management" scheme
encourages pulling down _sources_, compiling them, thus installing
locally-compiled software.

Debian's "apt-get" is capable of doing this, albeit not so strongly
supported; it prefers, at this point, installing pre-compiled
software.  [There have been rumours of a "next generation" apt that
would "prefer source code."]

So long as this stuff is being managed by the package management
system, with errors being trapped there, there is not a forcible need
for this to be _really_ scary to naive users.

But remember, there is _no_ forcible requirement for you to use the
"Pentium-specific" options when you are compiling a given program;
with that being the case, the introduction of PGCC code generator code
to GCC does _not_ forcibly diminish performance...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

From: Randy Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: running bkground process after logout??
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:23:00 -0500

Oliver,

Assuming the at daemon is running you can also use the 'at' command to run
a job and then logoff.

Read the manual page for 'at', man at

at -f file now

will exceute the command / script specified by file immediately and allow
you to logoff. It is a good idea to specify the full pathname of the file
when using at.

Be sure to check the files /etc/at.deny and /etc/at.allow to ensure you
have permission to use at. The default is an empty /etc/at.deny which
allows all users to use at. Again, be sure to read the man page.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Has Shrunk
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:29:57 GMT

David .. wrote:

> N/A wrote:
> >
> > upon the installation and un-installation of Mandrake Linux 7.0 i lost
> > some harddrive space where my hard drive now says 'HP Pavilion Local
Disk
> > 4.53 GB', the problem is i really have 6.1 GB and it isnt detecting the
> > other 1.5GB or so. how can i reclaim the disk space? can Partition
Magic
> > help?
> >

> Did you delete all of the linux partitions?
>
> --
> Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
> ID # 123538

yes i did, any ideas?

From: Arthur Sowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux....
Date: 23 Aug 2000 01:40:54 GMT

Thanks for the input. I looked at Gnumeric, but I can't see where it can
do any macros (like Excel, and L-123 can). StarCalc can do macros.

I also forgot to mention some stuff in the original post; Applix installed
on the RH 5.2 goofed up the color scheme on the fvwm window manager (so
its all reversed, AND what is supposed to be a white background on the
Applix Word, turns into a black background and I can't see the
letters... there is no troubleshooting section in the Applix manual,
either). This does not happen with Applix installed on RH 6.2, though.

I'm still "feeling my way around" this stuff, but StarOffice and WP8 sure
came through with good and functional installs.

There is really a lot of good stuff among the "distribution" packages,
though, and I expect to tinker with all of it as time goes by.

Art

=== no change to below, included for reference and context ====

------------------------------

From: "Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Adding multiple users in school environment
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:57:32 +1000

Thanks Doug ... the script you peened out for me incorporating newusers
worked great. I was able to create a "public_html" folder with an idex.html
file in the /etc/skel directory so the users could upload their homepages
with ease ... everything works fine ... very impressed ...

Thanks to all for your input ... I've only ever had good responses from this
newsgroup !!!

Hope to run across you all again one day ...

Scott
PC & Network Support Technician
St Mary's College - Cairns
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]