From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can the root give permissions to the other users, so that they can
mount cd-roms and floppy drives?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:54:21 +0100

And verily, didst Rod Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently
scribe:
> [Posted and mailed]

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Donato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [Nothing at all.  I assume the title is intended to be the question.  I'll
> add that such a practice is risky,

You could say that... Prone to being totally ignored by everyone would be
more apt.

since subject lines sometimes get
> truncated or corrupted, often in amusing ways, as in an ad I once saw for
> a position as a professor in a psychology department: "WANTED: Adult
> Psychopath". So, here's the subject header:]

> : How can the root give permissions to the other users, so that they can
> : mount cd-roms and floppy drives?

It says all that???

All I got was

Re: How can the root give permissions to th

:)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |    "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux for A500, anybody can't help me???
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:14:32 +0100

And verily, didst Punz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Hi, I have Amiga500, 2MBRAM,no hd,  and Suse6 in my pc.
> What I have to do(if it's possible) to installing linux (minimum system) in
> A500?

Does the Amiga have an MMU?
Which 680x0 does it have?

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"         |
|             in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!!|
|      Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                  |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: is there a HOWTO about upgrading a Linux kernel?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:50:47 +0100

And verily, didst Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> In article <7qd27f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, steve@nospam wrote:
>>any one knows HOWTO upgrade my running system from one Linux kernel to
>>another?

> Er, it's called the Kernel-HOWTO :)

And it's REALLY not a good idea to overwrite the existing kernel.
You should keep it as a backup and modify LILO to offer both kernels at
bootup.

That way, you can still start your old kernel if the new kernel fails.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"  |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                |
|             in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control  |
|      Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where i can get libXm?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:17:50 +0100

And verily, didst Paul Kimoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> [Posted and e-mailed.]
> [This is not a c.o.l.d.system matter.  Followups redirected.]

> In article <pHyy3.79403$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tony lee wrote:
>> when i install Cforge, i rpm it and it came out: libXm need by XXX
>> i m wondering libXm is in which package and where i can download it?

> This is Motif, right?  You need to buy it, or try (to get by with)
> Lesstif.

Don't tell me there's no CForge statically linked version?

There should be, considering that very few linux users have the luxury of
dynamic motif libraries...

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dynamic Group Creation ?!?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:02:15 +0100

And verily, didst [EMAIL PROTECTED] eloquently scribe:
> I used Netscape to download some rpm's and I noticed that group id was
> set to 505 for these files.  I don't have a 505 group on my system.  Is
> this standard behavior?  I thought the group would have been set to the
> group id of the person who initiated the netscape session.

Or perhaps the GID of the person who uploaded them?
When you say files, did you mean the RPM files themselves, or their
contents?

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|             in            | suck is probably the day they start making     |
|      Computer Science     | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Obtaining sound patches for 2.0.36
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:59:46 -0700

I'm trying to install the 2.0.36 kernel and apparantely
I need to get a patch so that I can compile the sound card
support as a module (the "new modular sound" they call it)..
even though the option to compile the sound card support
as a module is already an option that I am using in the 2.0.36
kernel....something is not working properly obviously.
I had the sound working in a 2.0.36-7 kernel...but sndconfig
seems to think otherwise.  Does anone know where I can
find these sound patches?...or perhaps someone has run
into the same problem?  Thanks kindly in advance,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 23:25:16 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 29 Aug 1999 15:29:10 -0700, Don Waugaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>References are extremely important for use with operator overloading
>>and templates.

>These are non-essential reasons for their existence.

Please explain, then, how to make operator overloading work without
reference types or "compiler magic".

[ snips ]

>The only time you need to use references is in defining copy constructors and
>assignment operators. These language features could have easily been designed
>around pointers instead of references; there is no inherent, essential need for
>references.

It seems that you would prefer the sudden invocation of compiler magic
in those instances when passing by reference is needed for correct
semantics.  I would tend to disagree - C++ has too many special cases
already.  A general tool such as references, while retaining the potential
for abuse, remains a better solution than a host of "special" functions
or operators, which IMHO would be worse than the typically-cited issue of
the similarity of reference and value syntax.
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: procreation and Choice
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:13:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Yury Donskoy  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> No, they should abstain from having mindless sex, where no one cares what the

> What the fuck is your problem asshole that you'd deny the poorest

Well, that would take care of the problem with unwanted children, I
suppose.

-kzm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BIOS upgrade needs DOS(??)
Date: 31 Aug 1999 08:35:16 +0100

Doug DeJulio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Donald E. Stidwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Actually you can sys a disk from Windows 95/98 and put the BIOS stuff on
>>it.

> Only if you *have* Windows 95/98.  I was trying to offer a
> constructive answer that didn't depend on actually owning a license
> for a Microsoft OS (or on software piracy).

> There *are* people who have x86 boxes and who don't have a single
> license for anything Microsoft, including DOS.  The FreeDOS solution
> should work for them.
Or DR-DOS 7, which you should be able to obtain from Caldera for free.

--
Alain Borel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS Daemon Failed to load:  nfssvc not Implemented
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:18:59 GMT

root wrote:

> When upgrading my RedHat 6.0 to kernels 2.2.10 and 2.2.12, the
> NFS Daemon does not load properly.
>
> At boot, I get FAILED, and when trying to run /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
> manually, I get;
> nfssvc: Function not implemented
>
> NFS runs properly under the default RH6.0 kernel 2.2.5-15 kernel.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> This problem exists on 2 seperate machines.  A PII 400, 512MB RAM w/
> RAID 5 (AMI MegaRAID), and a Dual PII 333, 256MB RAM, IDE.
>
> Thanx in advance!
>
> ___________________________
> James C. Montz
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Northwest Internet Services
> http://www.ncn.net

I was getting the same error message with a 2.2.11 kernel.
I rebooted off the old kernel (2.2.5-15) and nfsd loaded
fine.  I had recompiled 2.2.11 with the NFS stuff in it and
as modules but nfsd kedt showing the same error.  I did a
search on Deja News and found a reference that suggested
getting off 2.2.11.  FWIW.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: newbie questions???
Date: 31 Aug 1999 05:47:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rotax wrote:
>i'm a newbie running phat linux (based on mandrake).  and i have a k6-2 ^M
>300 w/ 98mb ram and a viper v330 vcard.^M

Those funny little control-Ms are due to using a broken newsreader.

>1 of my ?s are, 'why does linux say i only have 64mb of ram?'.^M

Because BIOS is broken by design and can't tell the kernel more than that,
and the kernel doesn't try to size the memory itself, and you didn't
tell it more than that.

Here is an amazing thing.  The kernel, being a compiled C program,
has a command line.
You can tell your kernel "mem=96M" on its command line.

The kernel command line is issued to the kernel by the boot loader.
If you are using Lilo, say
   linux mem=96M
at the boot prompt, or
   append="mem=96M"
in the lilo.conf file.

More command line fun appears in the Boot-Prompt HOWTO and the
SCSI HOWTO, and there is a little in the LILO MINI-HOWTO and the
Ethernet-HOWTO.

>^M
>my other 1 is, 'how kan i get a diff. rez in x-windows'?  i'm using kde ^M
>and ran the 'xf86config' and set it to 800x600 but it still goes back to ^M
>640x480.

Try control-Alt-numplus.  That is, hold Ctrl and Alt and hit the + on the
numeric keypad.
It will cycle through the available screen formats.  Some of them may be
beyond your monitor's capabilities and it will go dark and squeal.
Just keep going until you find one it can handle, and it will come back.
Don't leave it dark and squealing for more than a few seconds, though.

If you don't find any screen formats you like, start with one you almost like
and run the xvidtune program.  Xvidtune will help you generate a string
of numbers called an XFree86 "Modeline" that's right for your monitor.
Then edit /etc/XF86Config or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config or whereever it is
on your system, and add the new Modeline after all the others.
Give it a name that doesn't conflict with the existing ones.  The name
is in doublequotes.
(While you're in there, take note of any duplicate names.)
Now find the 'Section "Screen"' part of the file, and the list of Modes
for your display and color depth.  Add the name of your new mode
to the list.  Exit the X Window System (don't just restart the Window Manager)
and restart it.  Your new mode will now be in the series you get with
control-alt-numplus.

Now go back and get rid of the modes your monitor can't handle,
and move your favorite mode to the beginning of the list.
Then go back and try commenting out some of the modelines with duplicated
names.  You might find you gain some new modes that work well.
Often, a bad modeline will come along after a good one with the same name
and your X server will never see the good one.  This is a design defect in
XFree86.

It will be great when this is fully automated.  It's one of the last things
you still need to edit a config file for when you set up a desktop
client system.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux/apache server
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:03:08 GMT

Brain Fisher wrote:

> I have been appointed to set up a community ISP for a town pop.5,000 and
> would like to know some really basic stuff. Experienced with HW, windows
> ('ugh') and Internet.(earn an existance creating Web Sites in wider area)
> Can someone please guide me on some vey basic stuff such as minimum PC
> specs. any other hardware & software required. Linux technicalities not
> required at this stage. Have a distribution and quite sure 'I will need a
> little help from my friends' (cyberfriends) in the future.
> thanks brianF

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
I've got an Acer Aspire, Pentium120, 96Mb RAM, 2Gb IDE hard
disk running RedHat 6.0 and Apache 1.3.6.  It's running well
and extremely stable.  You can hit the web server and check
responsiveness at;  http://c659784-b.flrmnd1.tx.home.com
It's a desktop PC that's been replaced.  Since I have cable
modem internet access I decided to play around with Linux
and Apache.  It's not blazingly fast but it does its job
quite well (IMO).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 30 Aug 1999 23:44:08 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman) wrote:
>>

>The original quote to which I replied was
>
>>References also cannot be induced to point to NULL in a strictly-conforming
>>program, which can eliminate a lot of checking of input conditions (or more
>>practically, since most C routines don't check their input parameters
>>anyway, can make the use of such routines much more reliable).
>
>So you cannot then determine what is and what is not a
>conforming program.

I don't see how this follows from what I have written.

> The guarantee of having a valid object
>to work with is no more watertight than having an interface
>definition which states that a function may not be passed
>a NULL pointer.

In other words, the statement "references must be non-NULL" fails the
Machiavelli test.

However, considering the difficulty of creating code that exercises the
compiler this way, compared to the ease of creating code that dereferences
a NULL pointer, I would say that C++ references pass the "Murphy" test
with flying colors.

I might add that a suitable compiler design would be to check for NULL or
otherwise illegal pointers when they are dereferenced, which would mean
that incorrect dereferencing happens in the caller code rather than the
called code, thus moving the effect of the error closer to the site of the
error.
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food
In the Sonoran Desert, where we say: "It's a dry heat..."  |     <><
All generalizations are false.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 30 Aug 1999 23:47:20 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The notion of strict conformance is of no consequence to the engineer using the
>language to make software.

Except when an engineer attempts to write software easily portable from one
processor, OS, or compiler to another one, in which case an understanding
of the conformance demands of the standard will certainly ease problems
down the road.
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food
In the Sonoran Desert, where we say: "It's a dry heat..."  |     <><
Three out of every four people make up 75 percent of the population.

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: Re: linux x A500? anybody can't help me???
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:54:12 -0700

    AFAIK, you need a CPU with an MMU, this excludes the 68000, 68010,
68EC030 and 68EC040, 4MB of memory and an 80MB hard drive (for a
"decent" Linux system).  Also, SuSE does not support the 68000 family of
processors.  I recommend either getting Red Hat or Debian, which does
support the m68k processors (make sure you get the m68k disks!).  You
may also want to try NetBSD or OpenBSD.  Either is an excellent
alternative to Linux.  Good luck!

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: Liguo Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with CD Player
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:45:04 -0500

Hi, Dear friends,

I am new to Linux and need your help!

I met a problem with cd player after installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 on my
PC.

First time I started GNOME CD Player, it worked fine except the sound
volume is very low. So, I tried to start the  Audio Mixer in the main
menu. A message box popped out and asked me to run esd in terminal. I
did it, then I could run the Audio Mixer. After the Audio Mixer started,

cd player cannot make any sound. Even, restarting the CD Player or
reboot the system won't solve this.

To make it even worse, other CD player, like Xplaycd won't work either.

What's the problem? What should I do to solve this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful response.

Liguo