From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vi command question
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:37:27 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim McIntyre
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there an  'e' command to use in vi command mode?
>The only refernece to e in tha man pages is to use vi -e
>to start vi in exec mode. I have been told it can be use
>to open a specified in command mode.

In theory, the vi mode's  Q  command should enter ex mode.
I'm not sure it works in vim.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: Joohee Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem installing kdebase on Debian Linux system.
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:14:22 -0400

HI
    I am trying to install kde on a Debian Linux ssytem from the source,
I succesfully installed Qt-1.44, kdesupport-1.1.2, kdelibs-1.1.2.
However a make on kdebase leads to the following error (see end of
posting). Any ideas on what is wrong and how it might be fixed ?

Thanks in advance,

Joohee Kim

=====================================================================================================

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/kdebase-1.1.2/kfm/config'
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/kdebase-1.1.2/kfm'
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link g++  -O2 -Wall -L/usr/local/kde/lib
-L/usr/X11/lib -rpath /usr/local/kde/lib -rpath /usr/X11/lib -o kfm  kfmgui.o
kfmview.o kbind.o main.o kfmdlg.o bookmark.o kfmprops.o kfmserver_ipc.o
kfmserver_ipc2.o kfmserver.o kioserver.o kioserver_ipc.o kioserver_ipc2.o kfmipc.o
root.o kfmman.o kiojob.o htmlcache.o autostart.o kfmtree.o krenamewin.o
passworddialog.o kURLcompletion.o debug.o kfmw.o kfmpaths.o kfmjob.o kfmexec.o
kmimemagic.o kfinder.o utils.o open-with.o finddlg.o kcookiejar.o kcookiewin.o popup.o
kintlist.o -lkhtmlw -lkimgio -ljpeg -ltiff -ljpeg -lz -lpng -lz -lm -lqt -lX11  -lm
-ljscript -lkfile -lkfm -lkdecore -lXext -lqt -lX11  -lkdeui -lkdecore -lXext -lqt
-lX11
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libjpeg.so.62, needed by /usr/bin/../lib/libtiff.so, may
conflict with libjpeg.so.6
kfmgui.o: In function `KfmGui::slotCopy(void)':
kfmgui.o(.text+0x7ea8): undefined reference to `QLineEdit::copy(void) const'
kfmgui.o: In function `KfmGui::slotPaste(void)':
kfmgui.o(.text+0x7f1a): undefined reference to `QLineEdit::paste(void)'
/usr/local/kde/lib/libkdeui.so: undefined reference to
`QMultiLineEdit::resizeEvent(QResizeEvent *)'
/usr/local/kde/lib/libkdeui.so: undefined reference to `QLineEdit::setPalette(QPalette
const &)'
/usr/local/kde/lib/libkfile.so: undefined reference to `QListBox::setBottomItem(int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [kfm] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/kdebase-1.1.2/kfm'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/kdebase-1.1.2/kfm'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/kdebase-1.1.2'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
====================================================================================================================================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr H. T. Leung)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.misc
Subject: Re: pcmcia card services for storm linux 2000 rain dist.
Date: 26 May 2000 20:15:26 GMT

What trouble? Be more specific. Never heard of Storm Linux 2000 Rain Release ( I
tend to aoid any softwares that says 2000, particularly the M$ variety), but
then, as far as I know, the pcmcia card services doesn't depend on much on
anything except the kernel and the kernel headers, in additional to the usual
C development necessities (compilers, linkers, etc).

I think it would be more useful if you tell people what version of the kernel you
are running. "uname -a" I think.

The card bus services is getting integrated to the 2.4.x or late 2.3.x kernel
series (i.e. cardbus services is no longer a separate package for these) I heard;
and it doesn't work with pre-2.2 kernels.

In article <pMvX4.2541$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kendal L. Montgomery"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|> Has anyone successfully set up pcmcia-cs-3.1.15 or any other pcmcia card
|> services successfully on Storm Linux 2000 Rain Release?
|>
|> I am having trouble getting it to compile and install.
|>
|> Kendal Montgomery
|> Findlay Industries, Inc.
|> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"What you don't care cannot hurt you."            Chap. 7a, AMS-NS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernie)
Crossposted-To:
alt.certification.cisco,alt.certification.mcse,alt.certification.network-plus,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 6 certifications in 30 Days and 15+ College Credits!!!
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:28:03 GMT

On Fri, 26 May 2000 18:59:11 GMT, "Harold S. Frydman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Don't let people fool you. THIS is NOT brain surgery. There are lots of
>people out there that will tell you all that counts is Real-World
>experience...and they wouldn't be wrong...but they wouldn't be 100% right
>either.

True.  Lets talk on the same terms though.  Forget the certification
aspect for a moment, because it is really the knowledge we are talking
about here, right.  IOW, a cert without experince, distills down into
knowledge at *best*.  How much knowledge can be learned in a month?
Well, studies show that a 30-35% retention rate of classroom learning
is about average.  So how much is learned in 30-35% of a 30 day
bootcamp?  I think anybody that has been through intense training
knows that their mind can only handle so much at a time before going
into overload.

Sure experience without any knowledge is not very good either.  But
experience is far more important than knowledge without experience.
For the sake of argument, even if experience meant absolutely nothing,
companies still want experience far more than certs.  Just look
through your local paper, and see how many companies list certs as
primary requirements for the good jobs.  Most say minimum required 2
yrs exp.  This wasn't always the case, but now that most companies
have had the intense *pleasure* of accidently hiring a "paper"
individual they now safeguard against it happening again by requiring
experience.  So no matter what, you have to overcome the experience
hurdle for the good jobs.

>Doctors spend years learning the basics before they are allowed to practice
>medicine. Lawyers must have years of education before they're allowed to
>practice law. Why should the IT profession be any different?

There is a big difference between years of study and one month of
study.  If you think that these are directly analogous then I'd like
to see you go see a doctor who you knew only attended one month of
med-school bootcamp.  Furthermore, doctors go through several years of
internship where they are overseen while they start to practice
medicine.

>Nobody is saying that certification is the end...in fact, think about it as
>premed or prelaw...the more you know the better you'll do in a real word
>environment later. The CMA course is a great BEGINNING....what you do with
>it afterward is everyone's personal choice. As an experienced admin for many
>years I'd have to say I'd rather someone with no experience AND
>certification, rather than no experience and no education.

Sure if you compare "no experience and no education" to "no experience
and certification" certification comes out smelling like a rose.
However, even about 6 months experience at helpdesk trumps *both* of
those.

Also, the last thing you want to happen when talking to an potential
employer is to trigger the memory of the last paper certified
individual they made the mistake of hiring.  What do you think will be
the first thing they will think of when someone walks in their office
with 6 certs and no experience?  In fact if it were me, the more paper
they had the more the red flags, sirens, flashing lights would start
going off in my head.

Based on personal experience, my certs have actually meant much more
as I have gained more experience working with the products I am
certified with.  No matter how many certs a person has, if they don't
have any experience, they aren't going to be given a job that has a
high level of responsibility such as a DBA, a network engineer, a UNIX
admin, etc.  They will have to get experience like everyone else has
in the past.  So the bottom line is the question of whether the cost
of a 30 day bootcamp is worth the helpdesk job it will land in the
end.  Since you could pretty much get that same job without any certs,
I would say no, its not worth the investment.

However, don't just take my word for it.  Before you waste your money,
give a headhunter a call and ask that person their *honest* opinion on
how to get ahead in the IT industry.  After all they deal with
employers and what employers are looking for in potential candidates
every day.  If anyone can tell you whether a 30 day bootcamp is worth
the money spent, they can.

--Bernie

------------------------------

From: Mevacor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: auto sendmail reply
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:30:07 GMT

If it is a script that runs the backup, it could be in the script.

If the backup is run from cron, then you will need to edit crontab.

Kai

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: ksnapshot equavilent?
Date: 26 May 2000 20:58:11 GMT

oliver austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I installed Gnome from a RedHat 6.1 distro but now I need KDEs Ksnpshot to
> capture the screen.
> Is there a Gnome equivalent?

Theres a screen capture utility built into the Gimp.  Non-beta versions
dont seem to be able to understand 24bit colordepth.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:03:12 +0100

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> let's remember that the United States is not now, nor has it ever been a
> democracy.

Yes it is. It's a representative democracy. The people do rule, through
their elected officials (in theory, at least).

------------------------------

From: "Jon Chesnut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Printer reccomendations?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 21:09:06 GMT

Yeah, I've been _very_ impressed with HP's support for Linux, and the fact
that their technical support guys are excellent in Linux as well. (At least
for higher-end printers!)

It like HP's got their Unix connectivity group doing the Linux support (a
logical decision) versus Canon and Lexmark who are trying to re-train their
Winblowz techs on a real OS.  :)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 25 May 2000 22:29:13 +0100

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I need ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc usually. If I am

This is what a site-config file is for, making `usual' options vanish.

> overwriting a system installed version, that is. Followed by
> a find /usr /etc -type mount -cnewer . > /tmp/file_list, and some

Again I say `this is what GNU stow is for'.

I have --prefix=/usr in my site-config file, but I *install* into
/usr/packages.bin/{package}/{version} and stow from there into /usr.

After all, --prefix at configure time specifies where the compiled code
looks for its data, not necessarily the directory where it is
installed. (Sites that use AFS or Coda are *very* used to this kind of
hack.)

> :     The point of automation is to avoid such manual futzing.
>
> If I could be bothered to type the above into a command, I would.

Site-config files. Site-config files. Site-config files. Set the
CONFIG_SITE environment variable and write one, as documented in the
autoconf manual.

e.g. (this is mine)

#
# config.site - this file is run by configure automatically
#               to set default values of environment variables

test "$prefix" = NONE && prefix=/usr

# esperi has little memory so optimize for size there.
if [ "$(hostname)" = "esperi" ]; then
 SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS=-Os
else
 SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS=-O2
fi

test -z "$sysconfdir" && sysconfdir='/etc'
test -z "$CC" && CC=gcc

# flip on gcc-2.95 and egcs-specific flags.
if [ `$CC --version` = 2.95.2 -o `$CC --version | cut -d- -f1` = egcs ]; then
 test -z "$CFLAGS" && CFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -march=$(uname -m) -mwide-multiply -pipe"
 test -z "$FFLAGS" && FFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -march=$(uname -m) -mwide-multiply -pipe"
 if [ `$CC --version` = 2.95.2 ]; then
  test -z "$CXXFLAGS" && CXXFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-fpermissive -march=$(uname -m) -mwide-multiply -pipe"
 else
  test -z "$CXXFLAGS" && CXXFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-march=$(uname -m) -mwide-multiply -pipe"
 fi
else                                          # antique gcc
 test -z "$CFLAGS" && CFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-mwide-multiply -pipe"
 test -z "$FFLAGS" && FFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-mwide-multiply -pipe"
 test -z "$CXXFLAGS" && CXXFLAGS="$SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
-mwide-multiply -pipe"
fi

test -z "$OBJCFLAGS" && OBJCFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
unset SITE_INTERNAL_OPTFLAGS

# Give Autoconf 2.x generated configure scripts a shared default
# cache file for feature test results, host-specific. Kill this if
# feature tests go wrong.
if [ "$CC" = "gcc" ]; then
 if [ "$cache_file" = ./config.cache -o "$cache_file" = config.cache ]; then
   cache_file="${HOME}/.configure/config.cache.$(hostname)"
 fi
fi

Bingo. That sets sysconfdir and prefix, points the cache files at a
single per-host persistent cache file, and sets the compilation flags to
a value dependent upon the version of GCC and the hostname, and does it
all in an overrideable fashion.

> But neither my brain nor my memory is sufficiently weak to encourage
> me to do so. If some day I forget, it would take me all of ten minutes
> to work it out again, and maybe I'd learn something new. Really
> I should save the config log. That would be handy.

No need ;)

--
`Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
 A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.' --- James Simmons

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 25 May 2000 23:15:18 +0100

David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>                         What about software that makes system calls in
> Linux?  Must that also be GPL?

No, because the license for Linux explicitly states, right at the top

:   NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
: services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
: of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

You are just trolling, aren't you? Or did you really not even glance at
the license before coming out with that statement?

--
`Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
 A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.' --- James Simmons

------------------------------

From: U.V. Ravindra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: sprintf bug?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 21:08:34 GMT

Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   U.V. Ravindra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using SuSE 6.3 (Kernel 2.2.13 glibc 2.1.2) on an Alpha EV67.
> >
> >     char buffr[4096+1]

> >     printf("before %s\n", buffr);
> >     sprintf(buffr, "0, 0, 0, ");
> >     printf("after %s\n", buffr);
> >
> > And I see the output:
> >
> > before dwki_nr_ibind(100, fname_var, 0,
> > after 0, 0, 0,i

<snip>

> It seems to me that you're only using 'sprintf' to copy a string into
> an array of characters. Why don't you use 'strcpy', 'memcpy', or a
> simple loop instead?

Actually, in my actual program, the "0, 0, 0, " is being printed
from a function call as
        sprintf(buffr, "%d, %d, %d, ", fx1(), var_1, fx2());
But I have managed to debug the problem to the point where I know
what really is happening here.  The 'i' is a remainder from the
previous contents of the string, which indicates that sprintf
isn't putting the \0 where it should.

-Ravindra

From: Tim Hockin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fork in shell-scripts
Date: 26 May 2000 21:15:34 GMT

Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is there a possibility to do sth. like a fork in a shell-script?
: I have a process that does a certain job. I would like to fork+exec and
: observe the father-process.

do_something &
wait

--
Tim Hockin
This program has been brought to you by the language C and the number F.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:49:33 -0700

The U.S. is a federal republic, which is why the preamble to the FEDERAL
constitution contains the phrase "... and to the REPUBLIC ...".

Democratically elected representatives do not possess the full power of
government, which would be the case if the U.S. were truly a
representative democracy.  Technically speaking, citizens of the U.S. do
not elect the president (the electoral college does, and for example,
truman was elected with fewer popular votes than dewey had), nor do we
elect other members of the executive branch, or any members of the
federal judiciary.

http://www.la-online.com

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:42:41 -0700

In article <392eb767$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Francis Van
Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>>CNN is conducting a poll whether MS should be split up
>>and if yes into how many parts. Please take a minute to
>>vote for a good cause.
>>-> http://cnnfn.com/poll/microsoft_breakup.html
>
>The results of these MS breakup polls (consistently 2/3
>against) raise some interesting questions about the
>implementation of democracy (in this case in the USA).
>Why is it that the opinion of the man in the street
>doesn't matter (because they're stupid, stupid! (?)) and
>why is it that one single person (the judge) is to make
>the decision? Shouldn't there be at least a panel or a
>jury?

Majority rule doesn't always achieve just results. It's
quite likely there would have been an absolute majority in
favor of lynching in the southern states in the 1920's.
Should that have made the practice legal? So, yes, indeed,
there are often times in which the man in the street is
stupid (or shortsighted, or biggotted).

Single judges try cases of fact in the US. That this should
be so in antitrust cases (or, indeed, in most cases not
involving individual persons as defendants) is unfortunate.
However, there'd have to be major structural changes to US
civil procedure to alter this, and the US public - rightly
or wrongly - is very unlikely to spend any time or effort
understanding this issue much less forcing such changes.